Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,562 members, 7,837,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War (987 Views)

Nigeria Must Prevent Another Civil War, Says Aregbesola / Nigeria Cant Survive Another Civil-War – Mark / Obasanjo Warns Against Another Civil War! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by deSika(m): 9:05pm On Mar 29, 2013
LAGOS—NOBEL Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, yesterday, warned that Nigeria was on the brink of another civil war and called for concerted actions to prevent the disaster. Soyinka, who spoke at the 5th Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Colloquium in Lagos, also chided President Goodluck Jonathan for failing to address the deteriorating level of insecurity in the country.

He said: “Let us face it; this nation is on the brinks. Those who do understand it, I feel very sorry for them because they will one day wake up and find out that we have fallen as a nation. This is not what we envisaged when we struggled for independence. This is not what we envisaged when we struggled to overthrow military dictatorship and restore the rights and dignity of human beings. But whether we like it or not, it has come upon us.”
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by deSika(m): 9:08pm On Mar 29, 2013
Berating President Jonathan for the worsening waves of insecurity, he said: “My problem with the government, especially the president of this nation is that he does not seem to realise, he has not taken into consideration, into cognizance that by now the president should be addressing the nation, giving details explaining why this nation is at war.” To avert a second civil war, Soyinka said Nigerians should not see the Boko Haram insurgency as a regional problem, but as a national one. He said: “Certain things have to be done to ensure that this nation is pulled back from the second round of what is leading towards a civil war. By now, we should be tightening our belt, we should not see what is happening in the North as being confined to the North; it is obvious all along that this is not a northern affair. No! We heard that recently that some cells have been found in Lagos, that is not new, it started years ago. Boko Haram, a national problem “Everyone should understand that the problem we are facing right now is not regional it is national and a human problem. It is called Boko Haram. That is the kind of language I believe the leadership of this nation should be imparting on Nigerian citizens.” The Nobel Laureate, while commending the youths for utilizing the platform to make known their ideas said, “I was delighted when I learnt that the younger generation wanted to use this platform to voice their ideas. I want to thank the younger generations for utilizing whatever platform to reinstate our consciousness by speaking, I expect more, beyond politics, beyond mergers, beyond political parties, beyond partisanship, beyond regionalism and Roll call of personalities
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by deSika(m): 9:10pm On Mar 29, 2013
Meantime, Mallam Sanusi identified corruption as the bane of the development in the country. He said: “Corruption is a big issue in the country today as in other parts of the world but why are they eradicating poverty and Nigeria isn’t? It is not just corruption. It is the failed interventions that are procured with the proceeds of corruption. Everyone agrees that corruption is bad. It has economic cost if you take a bribe and pay subsidy to someone who hasn’t delivered the required goods. “In Nigeria, people collect money for contract and they wouldn’t fulfill their own parts of contract and nothing is done about it. This is compounding the state of corruption in the country. What is destroying this country is that people are corrupt and nothing is done about it. “We need to be asking the civil societies what they are doing to ensure that this act is checked for the development of the country. “Some parts of Lagos are getting cleaner because of the sewage process in LagosState. These are some of the questions that we should begin to ask our public office holders today. How can someone be governor for four years and he or she fail to provide the needed facilities for his people?”
vanguardngr.com/2013/03/nigeria-on-the-brink-of-another-civil-war-soyinka-warns/
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 29, 2013
Now someone should tell me why Jonathan is sending all these "former militants" on overseas military training. He is sending them there just to prepare for war he is trying to create. They are spreading the country's wealth to Southsouth people because they believe they have been marginalized for too long. Jonathan thinks he has a score to settle between his people (SS), Southwesterners and Northerners.

Jonathan is trying to create unrest to perpetuate him to stay in power. He rather stays in power by raining havoc than to face an election. Mark my word, Nigeria is heading for war. Why did Bayelsa government buy a house in Lagos to accomodate those Chadian terrorists? Their next target is to create havoc in Lagos by denotating bombs and maim innocent children, men and women.

Jonathan is an inept President with nothing to offer other than chaos. Nigerians, wake-up!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by gratiaeo(m): 9:25pm On Mar 29, 2013
Soyinka abeg pack 1 side joor....... It was northern problem until security agents found bomb in lagos, it automatically turn to national problem, Simply call it north/western problem not national problem
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by gratiaeo(m): 9:27pm On Mar 29, 2013
payless: Now someone should tell me why Jonathan is sending all these "former militants on overseas military training. He is sending them there just to prepare for war he is trying to create. They are spreading the country's wealth to Southsouth people because they believe they have been marginalized for too long. Jonathan thinks he has a score to settle between his people (SS), Southwesterners and Northerners.

Jonathan is trying to create unrest to perpetuate him to stay in power. He rather stays in power by raining havoc than to face an election. Mark my word, Nigeria is heading for war. Why did Bayelsa government buy a house in Lagos to accomodate those Chadian terrorists? Their next target is to create havoc in Lagos by denotating bombs and maim innocent children, men and women.

Jonathan is an inept President with nothing to offer other than chaos. Nigerians, wake-up!
You say?
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by Burger01(m): 9:40pm On Mar 29, 2013
Uncle Soyimka!!! What has come over you these days?... sad
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:44pm On Mar 29, 2013
Watching closely
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 29, 2013
Remember somalia's condition
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 29, 2013
Ummmm.... actually, Nigeria has been fighting a civil war since around 1997-98/99 like everything else, theyve just been too stu.pid to realize it.
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 29, 2013
Mtcheeeeew
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by ignatiuschinedu(m): 11:20pm On Mar 29, 2013
Soyinka is looking 4 an appointment...if nt why is he on air dis days?
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by OneNaira6: 1:14am On Mar 30, 2013
Soyinka are you saying you didn't see it before. Abeg, the country is inching closer to war by the day. As long they don't invade Asaba again and leave us out of it, I don't care. Let everybody fight themselves.
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by OneNaira6: 1:15am On Mar 30, 2013
payless: Now someone should tell me why Jonathan is sending all these "former militants" on overseas military training. He is sending them there just to prepare for war he is trying to create. They are spreading the country's wealth to Southsouth people because they believe they have been marginalized for too long. Jonathan thinks he has a score to settle between his people (SS), Southwesterners and Northerners.

This is real life, if you guys on NL want to make up all this allegations and conspiracy then join nollywood and give us a good movie to watch for once.
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 30, 2013
One_Naira:

This is real life, if you guys on NL want to make up all this allegations and conspiracy then join nollywood and give us a good movie to watch for once.

My friend mechi there... What is made up in his allegation?

Why did the Bayelsa state government buy a dirty shanty house in Lagos to accommodate weapons and Chadians?

Where are all the Ijaw only militants sent overseas for military training when Nigeria has military academy?
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by babymama3: 3:34am On Mar 30, 2013
May it not happen
And if it does may it be far from Igbo land IJMN
Amen!
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by Tigerhead: 4:00am On Mar 30, 2013
0lumide:

Why did the Bayelsa state government buy a dirty shanty house in Lagos to accommodate weapons and Chadians?

Where are all the Ijaw only militants sent overseas for military training when Nigeria has military academy?

Yoruba muslims at it again, disgusting set of people. Always spreading lies and falsehood.
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by KayDee4: 4:12am On Mar 30, 2013
payless: Now someone should tell me why Jonathan is sending all these "former militants" on overseas military training. He is sending them there just to prepare for war he is trying to create. They are spreading the country's wealth to Southsouth people because they believe they have been marginalized for too long. Jonathan thinks he has a score to settle between his people (SS), Southwesterners and Northerners.

Uncle Jona is not as evil as you paint him to be.

I think he means well for Nigeria but he's got absolutely no idea what to do and that's dangerous for us all.

nor be only ex-militants dey go overseas training nah, the inclusion of 1 or 2 former militants is not enough to build a conspiracy like this infact some of your conspiracies are starting to sound like a Nollywood movie script* grin grin

Abeg, I no want war for Naija o. Amen !! smiley smiley
Re: Soyinka: Nigeria On The Brink Of Another Civil War by OneNaira6: 9:16am On Mar 30, 2013
0lumide:

I don't give a flying f2k what your problem with Ijaw is. Go to bayelsa and ask your question.

Anyway since you have vast knowledge of what GEJ is planning to do and since in your view what's said is not an allegations neither is it a conspiracy theory. Tell us this war you claim he's trying to start where did you read or hear about it? Any link to support you? What year is he planning to begin in it?

Abeg spare us with beer parlor stories.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Receives New AWARD!!!! / Governor Obi Betrayed My Father - Ojukwu Jnr / Good Speech, Mr President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.