Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,265 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road (11619 Views)

Ministerial List: Seun Kuti Says He Has Lost Hope On Buhari Administration / Rehabilitation Of Nembe, Bonny, Bille Jetties In Port Harcourt Begins. Photos. / APC Tasks Jonathan On Enugu’s Coal, 2nd Niger Bridge, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by nameo: 2:08am On Mar 30, 2013
LAST Saturday, James had travelled from Port Harcourt to Enugu. He had expressed surprise on alighting at the Gariki Park in Enugu and had exclaimed, “You mean we are already in Enugu? This is unbelievable!” The last time he travelled on the road (seven months ago), it took the vehicle about six hours to wade through the muddy road to Port Harcourt.

Overwhelmed with joy over the short time it took him to get to Enugu, he declared that the rehabilitation on the road has given much relief to travelers, urging that it should be sustained on all roads across the country.

According to him, what used to be Enugu-Port Harcourt highway and others like that in the South-East had been nightmares to travellers.

This is as a result of ugly scars on the dual carriage roads caused by deterioration of the road that hindered free movement of goods and people. The situation of the road became so deplorable that much harsh and horrendous words were used to describe it, all in an attempt to call attention of federal authorities to the suffering of the masses.

Transporters, who resorted to making detour in villages around the deplorable road to either get to Umuahia, Aba or Portharcourt had threatened action against the government should it fail to rehabilitate the road before December of last year.

On several occasions, men of the underworld laid siege on the highway dispossessing commuters of money and other valuables, especially at the Lokpanta Junction near Abia State, where Hausa Cattle traders now use as parking lot for trailers.

[b]Perhaps, it was in response to this cry by residents and road users that the Minister of State for Works, Bashir Yuguda, toured the road and other federal roads in the zone on September 2, last year, where he stated the desire of the Federal Government to repair them using the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency [FERMA].

He had said that immediate repairs would begin as soon as the rains eased, stressing that the same level of repair would be carried out in other failed roads in the zone with December 2012 as completion deadline.

Yaguda who inspected the Enugu-Onitsha highway, the Ekulu River Bridge, Emene along Enugu-Abakaliki highway and the Enugu-Port Harcourt road, added that the Federal Government had as at then paid N7 billion to the construction company handling the rehabilitation of the Enugu-Onitsha highway and reassured the people of the South East zone of its determination to complete all ongoing road rehabilitation projects in the area.

Travelling through some of the roads last week, especially the Enugu-Port Harcourt, through Abakaliki and Onitsha, it was observed that considerable rescue work had been carried out on the roads, making them motorable again.

It was further observed that the double lanes on the Enugu-Port Harcourt highway had been restored save for an area near Ihube where one of the contractors, Setraco, was still battling to fix[/b].

A traveler, Ndubuisi Ene told The Guardian that the prompt response of government to complaints of the people over the state of the road commendable.

He urged constant monitoring of the roads so that other areas that might give way after the rehabilitation exercise could be taken care of before the total rehabilitation as promised by the Minister.

Early in February, Executive Director, Operations in FERMA, Francis Ikpenwa, was on routine inspection of the 93 kilometer Enugu-Otukpa road. He stated that the agency had introduced a new programme, termed “Preventive and Maintenance” for any road that was recovered to stop it from deterioration and attend to any identified failure immediately.

He said, “We have surveillance unit that ply the roads and makes sure that any identified pothole is attended to on time and in that way, it will reduce much stress. We watch our contractors very closely and we don’t wait until they finish. As they work, they are rated. So if a contractor is not doing very well, we will check him. There are many of them we have dropped while others have done very well. The contractors we have now are working very well.

Managing Director of one of the companies working on the roads, Chief Festus Onuh gave kudos to the leadership at the Senate, especially the senate committee on works and FERMA for organising the rehabilitation, supervising the activities of the contractors and ensuring the contractors were paid for the jobs that they did.

He however suggested constant maintenance work on the roads, adding that serious retainership should be put in place for the maintenance of the road.

While praises are being showered on the rescue mission that had restored the Enugu-Port Harcourt highway, efforts should be made to hurry contractors, the CCC and RCC handling various areas of the Abakaliki-Onitsha highway to speed up efforts so as to complete the road before the rainy season peaks.

Till now, users of the highway are still being restricted to one lane of the road, the other lane having been closed completely awaiting rehabilitation
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117729:repair-of-enugu-port-harcourt-road-raises-hopes-on-enugu-onitsha-highway&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558

4 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by nameo: 2:21am On Mar 30, 2013
at least a promise made by the govt was kept. That is a good thing, esp for those peopel in the southeast whose roads are clearly improving.

Some of my friends say the SE roads are improving at a rate higher than at any time since the civil war!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by Sealeddeal(m): 7:02am On Mar 30, 2013
What is important to SE is reconstruction not rehabilitation.the Enugu-Onitsha to Enugu-PH are all an eye-sore and i'll not be happy if GEJ's administration fail to reconstruct those roads.
Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by asha80(m): 7:46am On Mar 30, 2013
the thing is making sure the contractors do a quality job whether rehabilitate or reconstruct.

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by awodman: 7:53am On Mar 30, 2013
This is a commendable effort from the GUARDIAN.I passed through that road yesterday and it was good.However,there are still some bad portions and I didn't see any contractors in these particular locations.I assume maybe they are still busy on the other sections and will soon get to these places.Overall good job FERMA,good job FED MIN. of WORKS,good job GEJ

3 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by Nobody: 8:19am On Mar 30, 2013
I think the strategy is to fix the several bad portions on the Enugu-Ph road so as to make it motorable. Later this year, the minister of works promised that the road will be awarded for full re-construction. He said the road is in the 2013 budget. We are waiting!

The Enugu-Onitsha road is undergoing full re-construction. The road was awarded to I think CCC by the Yar Adua govt but construction was seriously slowed down by lack of funds. The current govt has split the road for quicker completion. Some section, the Anambra end, is being handled by Niger cat.

Also very bad portions of the road, yet to be reached by contractors re-constructing the road, were rehabilitated last December as part of Project Safe Passage so as to improve travel time on the road.

Meanwhile, the Enugu-Osha road is being partly funded by SURE-P. Consequently, its completion is guaranteed. I also learnt work stopped temporarily at the Enugu end of the road so as to RE-DESIGN that part of the road. The former design, being used by CCC, did not suit the vehicle load and soil texture, according to govt officials.

4 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by nwabobo: 8:28am On Mar 30, 2013
GEJ is working haters are tweeting.

20 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by OneNaira6: 8:36am On Mar 30, 2013
I continue to wonder why people are trying to turn SE against GEJ and SS on this forum when it's obvious, he's done more for that region than the past administrations.

11 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by asha80(m): 8:45am On Mar 30, 2013
One_Naira: I continue to wonder why people are trying to turn SE against GEJ and SS on this forum when it's obvious, he's done more for that region than the past administrations.

the thing is funding these repairs,monitoring it and making sure that the quality is maintained.
Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by OneNaira6: 8:49am On Mar 30, 2013
asha 80: the thing is funding these repairs,monitoring it and making sure that the quality is maintained.

I still maintain he's done more for that region than all the past administrations put together.
How many presidents can you remember that actually started any project or even started any repair on any federal road in SE prior to him?

9 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by kelvincoll(m): 8:51am On Mar 30, 2013
News like this is what we long to hear, see and read each passing day. Good Development FG! Happy Easter all wink wink

7 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by asha80(m): 8:56am On Mar 30, 2013
One_Naira:

I still maintain he's done more for that region than all the past administrations put together.
How many presidents can you remember that actually started any project or even started any repair on any federal road in SE prior to him?
hmmm...you are right though.all what the average south easterner living has always wanted is upgrade and additional infrastructure.everyother thing is secondary.i guess pressure has to be put on the present fg to maintain the tempo.
Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by asha80(m): 8:57am On Mar 30, 2013
One_Naira:

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 30, 2013
I like theories...
Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by toluxa1(m): 9:19am On Mar 30, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I think the strategy is to fix the several bad portions on the Enugu-Ph road so as to make it motorable. Later this year, the minister of works promised that the road will be awarded for full re-construction. He said the road is in the 2013 budget. We are waiting!

The Enugu-Onitsha road is undergoing full re-construction. The road was awarded to I think CCC by the Yar Adua govt but construction was seriously slowed down by lack of funds. The current govt has split the road for quicker completion. Some section, the Anambra end, is being handled by Niger cat.

Also very bad portions of the road, yet to be reached by contractors re-constructing the road, were rehabilitated last December as part of Project Safe Passage so as to improve travel time on the road.

Meanwhile, the Enugu-Osha road is being partly funded by SURE-P. Consequently, its completion is guaranteed. I also learnt work stopped temporarily at the Enugu end of the road so as to RE-DESIGN that part of the road. The former design, being used by CCC, did not suit the vehicle load and soil texture, according to govt officials.

[size=13pt]Where did you get all this info from?[/size]

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by gen2briz(m): 9:23am On Mar 30, 2013
nwabobo: GEJ is working haters are tweeting.

Haters like abati abi

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by ikweremilitant: 9:35am On Mar 30, 2013
nameo:
at least a promise made by the govt was kept. That is a good thing, esp for those peopel in the southeast whose roads are clearly improving.

Some of my friends say the SE roads are improving at a rate higher than at any time since the civil war!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
nd yet some will ask wat has gej done for dem

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by ikweremilitant: 9:37am On Mar 30, 2013
Sealeddeal: What is important to SE is reconstruction not rehabilitation.the Enugu-Onitsha to Enugu-PH are all an eye-sore and i'll not be happy if GEJ's administration fail to reconstruct those roads.
atleast d rehablitated one vehiclea re plying on it,for donkey years we no see rehab not to tok of recon

2 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by taharqa: 9:39am On Mar 30, 2013
Bottomline: NIGERIAN ROADS are becoming MUCH BETTER!!!

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by ikweremilitant: 9:40am On Mar 30, 2013
One_Naira: I continue to wonder why people are trying to turn SE against GEJ and SS on this forum when it's obvious, he's done more for that region than the past administrations.

I wonder o

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by alexleo(m): 9:41am On Mar 30, 2013
One_Naira:

I ply Enugu-Ph road frequently and i can tell there is a great improvement. By this time last year it took me between five to six hours to get to Enugu from Ph but these days it takes me about two hours twenty minutes for the same journey. Yeah roads in the south east are receiving speedy attention now. I plied owerri to ph on thursday this week and i can tell you that serious dualization is going on now there. The porthacourt axis dualization has been 99 percent completed to imo boundary. The imo axis is about 50 percent done. I plied Enugu-Anambra last week and one side of it has been reconstructed to a great extent and the traveling hours have reduced very much. And of course OWerri to Onticha is smooth from begining to the end both sides. Akwaibom to Umuahia is receiving serious attention too. Enugu to Ebonyi is currently being dualized and work is seriously going on there. Enugu to Nsukka is very smooth now. No Portholes. GEJ is doing us well, yet we are watching other sectors too to see what he is up to. Light is improving too.

13 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by ikweremilitant: 9:42am On Mar 30, 2013
gen2briz:

Haters like abati abi
no lyk ur boss tinubu

7 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by taharqa: 9:49am On Mar 30, 2013
alexleo:

I ply Enugu-Ph road frequently and i can tell there is a great improvement. By this time last year it took me between five to six hours to get to Enugu from Ph but these days it takes me about two hours twenty minutes for the same journey. Yeah roads in the south east are receiving speedy attention now. I plied owerri to ph on thursday this week and i can tell you that serious dualization is going on now there. The porthacourt axis dualization has been 99 percent completed to imo boundary. The imo axis is about 50 percent done. I plied Enugu-Anambra last week and one side of it has been reconstructed to a great extent and the traveling hours have reduced very much. And of course OWerri to Onticha is smooth from begining to the end both sides. Akwaibom to Umuahia is receiving serious attention too. Enugu to Ebonyi is currently being dualized and work is seriously going on there. Enugu to Nsukka is very smooth now. No Portholes. GEJ is doing us well, yet we are watching other sectors too to see what he is up to. Light is improving too.
Nna, Biko TESTIFY d more joor. It is d Lord's Doing and it is very very Marvelous in our eyes

2 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by OkparaIgbo: 9:54am On Mar 30, 2013
I still maintain GEJ CARRY GO JOOOR..2015 We (The Progressive and Honest Nigerians) will put you back into your seat and the ABOKI HATERS AND SOME OF THE BIGOTTED YOROOBA'S CAN DO THEIR WORST.! Many times I try to explain to friends that GEJ is like a brother to the Igbo's and he has taken the plight of his fellow kinsmen to heart and has done what No other regime has ever thought of doing for us.

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by toluxa1(m): 10:01am On Mar 30, 2013
alexleo:

Bros, you be driver? Ajala Travel
Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by Capnd143(m): 10:04am On Mar 30, 2013
I am happy at Any good tin for my country! #NAIJA I HAIL THEE!

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by Policewoman(f): 10:22am On Mar 30, 2013
GEJ for 2015. No going back!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by Ozonna(m): 10:25am On Mar 30, 2013

There is no doubting this fact. GEJ has tried for Igbo's more than any other past President. From Appointments to Infrastructures, Igbo's have found favor in his eyes. Its the Lord's doing and its marvelous in our eyes cheesy cheesy cheesy. We thank Chineke. Gej dey try for us.

However like Oliver Twist, we want some more. GEJ would do us a great favor if he sends a Resource control bill to the NASS, Regional Governments or better still addressing the nation and NASS on the need to convene a round table meeting where all Tribes in Nigeria will come together and discuss the way forward as a NATION (Very difficult proposition right? grin). Should GEJ do any of these, he will be regarded as the Best President Nigeria ever had. He will be seen to be greater than the Zik's,Awolowo's, Sardauna's of this world.

4 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by salam001(m): 10:39am On Mar 30, 2013
Hit like if you want Gej for president 2015
Hug wet transformer if you dont want him

27 Likes

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by alexleo(m): 10:50am On Mar 30, 2013
toluxa1:

Bros, you be driver? Ajala Travel

My business takes me to all these places and the reports am giving are not hear says but am an eye witness. Am not a driver though but aka aja aja na ebute onu mmanu mmanu.

1 Like

Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by Dereformer(m): 10:52am On Mar 30, 2013
Please GEJ, look into Umuahia-Bende-Ohafia-Arochukwu Road. This road is very strategic to the East. I don't know why no administration has ever remembered that Human Beings Ply this Road.

Mr President, constructing this Road will endear you to the Abia people.

GEJ for President 2015!
Re: Rehabilitation Of Enugu-PH Road Raises Hope On Enugu-Onitsha Road by otokx(m): 11:01am On Mar 30, 2013
Good if true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Our Lagos Eko Atlantic (graphic View / Jonathan Congratulates Talon, President-Elect Of Benin Republic. / Senate Has Identified 11 Economic Recovery Bills - Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.