Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,814 members, 7,810,126 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty (9124 Views)

Buhari Meets With Northern Traditional Rulers At Aso Villa / Grant Amnesty To Boko Haram, Northern Elders Tell Buhari / Under Ihejirika, No Town Was Captured By Boko Haram – Northern Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Ptimes: 6:54pm On Mar 30, 2013
The traditional rulers released a communiqué at the end of their meeting in Sokoto.

The Northern Traditional Rulers’ Council has appealed to federal government to reconsider its stand and grant amnesty to insurgents who embraced peace, reformation and reintegration.

The appeal is contained in a communiqué issued at the end of the council’s meeting in Sokoto on Friday.

According to the monarchs , “this is the norm the world over and there exists a precedent in Nigeria.”

“The unfortunate escalation of the insecurity in the country calls for decisive action by the government in order to contain it .

“The meeting also called on the Federal Government to consider dialogue as the better option in resolving the crises,” the communiqué read.

President Goodluck Jonathan had ruled out the immediate possibility of granting amnesty to Boko Haram insurgents who have claimed responsibility and have been blamed for thousands killed in various attacks in Northern Nigeria. The president, during his last visit to Borno and Yobe, explained that the insurgents must be ready to lay down their arms and make clear their demands before the government would dialogue with them or consider granting them amnesty.

The call by the traditional rulers comes after similar calls by the Sultan of Sokoto and the Jamatu Nasri Islam, the coalition of Northern Nigerian Muslims.

Not targeted at non-Muslims

The traditional rulers also said that the insurgency was not targeted at non-Muslims as majority of the victims were Muslims.

“Attempts on the lives of their Royal Highnesses , the Shehu of Borno , the Emir of Kano and the Emir of Fika and the killing of a number of Muslim scholars are testimonies to this fact,” they said. “The meeting noted with deep concern that the majority of the victims of the various crises are the ordinary citizens.”

Similarly ,the traditional rulers noted with concern the deteriorating rate of unemployment and its tendency to provide militants a potent source of recruits .

They called on all governments to take necessary, positive and tangible steps to create jobs as well as fight poverty in all its ramifications.

“As part of the strategies to fight poverty in addressing the current and potential security and other challenges, the meeting calls for systematic review of the nation’s education system to make its products more skilful, productive , self-reliant and better prepared for life challenges,” the leaders said.

They also called on Nigerians to engage in fervent prayers for God to intervene and relieve Nigeria of the current problems . They called on Nigerians to repent and change their bad habits and practices with good ones.

The traditional rulers also reaffirmed their commitment to continue to work with governments at all levels to entrench peace, security, progress and prosperity.

The meeting reiterated the need for the government and leadership at all levels to have the fear of God , be fair , just and eschew corruption in all its ramifications .

“The meeting condoles and commiserates with the families of all those who lost their lives and or property as a result of the prevailing security crises .

“In order to further cement the bond of friendship and understanding , the meeting resolved to rotate its meetings among the northern states on a quarterly basis ,’’ the communiqué said.

The meeting held for the first time outside the traditional seat, Kaduna, and was attended by the chairmen of the states’ councils of Emirs and chiefs or their representatives.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/127588-northern-traditional-rulers-back-amnesty-for-boko-haram.html
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by confusion247(m): 7:08pm On Mar 30, 2013
This is the reason while evil and unnecessary killings will never depart from northern Nigeria. Amnesty for murderers? So if MASSOB decides to bomb south east back to stone age and kill over 3,000 innocent Nigerians, Traditional Rulers in the south east will ask federal government to grant amnesty for them(MASSOB)?

14 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by PehaKaso: 9:26pm On Mar 30, 2013
Boko Haram = Islam
Islam = Boko Haram

3 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Hadone(m): 12:01am On Mar 31, 2013

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Nobody: 12:03am On Mar 31, 2013
Why in Heaven's sake should a dialogue ensue between spoilers and victim?
This makes no sense at all.
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by caesaraba(m): 12:04am On Mar 31, 2013
Na like that abi? Going to form my own group sharply #amnesty tins

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by colombiana: 12:06am On Mar 31, 2013
caesaraba: Going to form my own group sharply
try killing ur easter chicken first. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Ucheosefoh(m): 12:13am On Mar 31, 2013
The traditional rulers attacked by boko haram are those that refuse to support them no amnesty for boko haram cus they are terrorists and Nigeria can not negotiate with piple that want everybody in Nigeria both Christians and pagans to convert and be subjected to their islamic ideology

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by qualified(f): 12:14am On Mar 31, 2013
Really? Amnesty for terrorists n murderers? Is it that these elders support evil js cos its done by people of same religion? Or they are only trying to gain wht South South youths got, without really knowing d meaning of amnesty?
They are hypocrites and cowards, too scared to say d truth!
Hope money frm groundnut export, not oil, will be enough for that amnesty?

7 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by qhiwegh(m): 12:20am On Mar 31, 2013
Most ordinary Northerners are not interested in vengeance. If amnesty could bring in peace, so be it! I'll even throw in Aso Rock for BH's leader if need be. After all, he couldn't be worse than GEJ, that wouldn't be possible. grin

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by searchcorp(m): 12:20am On Mar 31, 2013
Oh! I see, why not put dstv and libraries in the prisons and send them there, I promise you they will be better of there.

Let them read about Leo tolstoy, Ghandi, Vespucci and co, and let them learn how to fight for their rights. Infact, I will volunteer to teach them history!

But hey, they must learn it in jail.

Now, wait o, the northern traditional leaders, are they not also the northern spiritual leaders and in some cases political leaders? Are they not learned? Because I am trying to understand where in the univeral library of whack ideas did they come up with the Amnesty for Boko Haram idea?

Wait o, Amnesty or no amnesty can't these traditional, political and spiritual (three in one) leaders singlehandedly combat boko haram in their states if they want to.

God bless Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by joseph1832(m): 12:20am On Mar 31, 2013
I read this article earlier today in daily mail online and I just couldn't phantom why these northerners are so full of crap! Imagine them saying they sympathize with the families of those whom Boko Haram murdered. How about these northern elders demand for justice for the slain and maimed!

If these atrocities were carried out against muslims I believe they'll be singing their song of terror!

These people are hypocrites, sycophants and sentimental asswipes!

4 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Samsantos9: 12:23am On Mar 31, 2013
First of all it annoys me anytime anyone says boko haram attacks both Christians and muslims alike that's a bloody lie how many mosques have been successfully bombed by boko haram? The number of churches destroyed by boko haram only God knows.
Secondly how can you grant amnesty to terrorist and murderers who have killed thousands and injured much more what would you tell the families of the victims killed by boko haram who are crying for justice, that you gave amnesty to the very people who murdered there loved ones?
And finally that they granted amnesty to MEND doesn't mean the should grant amnesty to those blood suckers MEND did not kill people indiscriminately unlike Boko Haram.
BTW they(the northern leaders) are clearly sympathetic with with this evil called boko haram.

8 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Samsantos9: 12:24am On Mar 31, 2013
Double Post.....

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Cruxxy(m): 12:24am On Mar 31, 2013
I also call on govt to reach out to all army robbers & grant them amnesty especially to those in detention.

I blame lord luggard for bringing us together with these people. Bunch of morons!!!

9 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Nobody: 12:25am On Mar 31, 2013
Nigeria is a bloody joke. Everything has an ethnic motivation or consideration. So, because the Niger Delta militants (fighting for a greater share of their region's oil wealth) received an amnesty, then the Northern jihadists/extremists/terrorists fighting for no sensible reason (other than the usual Islamic nonsense) should also receive an amnesty . . .ostensibly to 'balance' the ethnic equation?

Besides, when these clever-by-half animals talk about poverty (supposedly as a fundamental raison d'etre for their extremism), it pisses me off to no end. Is poverty exclusive to the north, or to Islam for that matter? Na God go punish all these useless 'traditional rulers'with their smelly robes. Sponsors of terrorism.

15 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Cruxxy(m): 12:28am On Mar 31, 2013
qhiwegh: Most ordinary Northerners are not interested in vengeance. If amnesty could bring in peace, so be it! I'll even throw in Aso Rock for BH's leader if need be. After all, he couldn't be worse than GEJ, that wouldn't be possible. grin

Sharaap!!! Ewu nmeeh!!!!

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by samkoro: 12:29am On Mar 31, 2013
A religion of blood ,vengance,hatred,murder and virgins.Just look at what the shias do in the name of celebrating Hassan,a grand son of mohamed.Its so disgusting to the sight;human blood painted all over the face,body and clothes.

Look at the bombings they carry out against fellow moslems.I will keep saying it to those who will read and ban/delete,Jehovah,Christ are the true path.

With righteousness and belief in Christ one attain paradise unlike a religion that offers hell first below Allah looks at the Zebiba and chooses wether or not u are qualified,after u must have spent a million years in hell.It a long journey that has no end.

3 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by jimino(m): 12:29am On Mar 31, 2013
I guess dis pple must b sick in der brain. If dey want amnesty 2 b granted 2 murders nd terrorist. wat shld der victim granted? Dey neva consider dis.

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Decapo: 12:34am On Mar 31, 2013
OK!!!!!!!!!!! angry
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by logica(m): 12:41am On Mar 31, 2013
They should keep bleating till eternity; I don't care if the North continues to experience bomb-blasts. It will not stop the oil in the Niger Delta from flowing. The only economy suffering as a result is the local economy in the North. It does not affect the South or Nigeria in general. These f00ls can't see the difference because they are, well, f00ls. Dem dey farawe Niger Delta militants. *Hiss*

5 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by mekaboy(m): 1:05am On Mar 31, 2013
They do not target non-Muslims, how come they never bombed a mosque? When you were funding them and watching them train on the mountains you did not know.

I just pity the SW where they intend to sound their next warning .Everyone in Lagos should be security conscious

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Jaftee(m): 1:13am On Mar 31, 2013
Nothing like elders for here, some group of hausa people calling themselfs elder, if it were northern leader there must be representatives from benue, plateau, nassarawa, adamawo, kogi, southern kaduna, gombe, and some more. Not someone from maiduguri, yobe and sokoto claiming to be northern leaders. This people just have access to media and they are pronouncing there self, i wish anybody from southern kaduna will express how deeply they dislike the few hausa's who politically dominated the kaduna environ claiming to be the majority. The southern kaduna have suffered from the hausa's and any slightest chance. Haha. Ibo we de wuna back.

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Capnd143(m): 1:14am On Mar 31, 2013
Kill 1 man and you would be charged for murder, kill 10 men and you will be taken for mental examination, kill 100 men and you will be branded terrorist, but kill 1000 people, believe me you will be granted amnesty!

3 Likes

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Pringozie02(m): 1:17am On Mar 31, 2013
This pipo asking 4 amnesty are on this game and they are one and thesame pipo if u doubt me all I know there is an atom of truth in this
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Blueboy0402: 1:48am On Mar 31, 2013
Boko boys are not looking for amnesty. They have been brain-washed are more interested in the 72 virgins allah will reward them in paradise. It is the sponsors of these boys that want amnesty because "water don pass garri".

1 Like

Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by sandysprax(m): 2:05am On Mar 31, 2013
Blueboy0402: Boko boys are not looking for amnesty. They have been brain-washed are more interested in the 72 virgins allah will reward them in paradise. It is the sponsors of these boys that want amnesty because "water don pass garri".

Spot on. Let the Boko Haram leaders go to Aso Rock and table their demands themselves. I'm sure Mr President will be delighted to meet them one on one.

After foolishly destroying their homeland, they're looking for ways to rebuild. Jonathan will further make a fool of himself if he grants these people their wish.
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by thelastPope(m): 2:25am On Mar 31, 2013
So it is now they realise they need education abi? Why did Shagari, Buhari, IBB, Abacha, Andusalamm and Yaradua not improve their education in the north? They never see anything
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by Nobody: 2:38am On Mar 31, 2013
is it really possible to grant amnesty to a group of people not showing any regret, nor remorse nor even asking for pardon?
is it possible to grant amnesty for offences that are still being committed and could be committed next week?
Are we in essence talking about paying Boko Haram to stop violence?
Who will provide the money to pay off the next group after Boko haram because trust me they wont be the last?
It seems to me in our society terrorism is turning into lucrative business
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by OurYansh: 3:00am On Mar 31, 2013
PDP will not stop bombing Nigerians to death till GEJ wins in 2015..

angry
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by kabba7(m): 3:11am On Mar 31, 2013
Our Yansh: PDP will not stop bombing Nigerians to death till GEJ wins in 2015..

Somebody ent yo kiss dust i yell you .

angry
Re: Boko-Haram: Northern Traditional-Rulers Back Amnesty by ali1saidu(m): 3:32am On Mar 31, 2013
Samsantos9: First of all it annoys me anytime anyone says boko haram attacks both Christians and muslims alike that's a bloody lie how many mosques have been successfully bombed by boko haram? The number of churches destroyed by boko haram only God knows.
Secondly how can you grant amnesty to terrorist and murderers who have killed thousands and injured much more what would you tell the families of the victims killed by boko haram who are crying for justice, that you gave amnesty to the very people who murdered there loved ones?
And finally that they granted amnesty to MEND doesn't mean the should grant amnesty to those blood suckers MEND did not kill people indiscriminately unlike Boko Haram.
BTW they(the northern leaders) are clearly sympathetic with with this evil called boko haram.
ur ar exactly an animal,zoo wil siut u cos only animals nd boko haram lyk u wl mek this statement.y not be in silence 4 wat u dont knw?u ar d bastard idiot av eva witnes,mumu of d 1st order

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Millitary Please Come And Take Over Before Its Messed Up Completely / Breaking News: Emeka Ihedioha Wins Imo Gubernatorial Elections, PDP / Over 5000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.