Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara (1232 Views)

Well Done! Kuku Receives US Honour For Amnesty Work / Exclusive Interview With Captured Boko-Haram Terrorists; Beg FG For Amnesty / Repentant Abia Criminals Demand For Amnesty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by rabzy01: 10:25am On Mar 31, 2013
Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Sokoto Mattnew Hassan Kukah has called on the federal government to grant amnesty to Boko Haram religious sect.
In his Easter message entitled Amnesty, Repentance, Forgiveness and Reconciliation, the bishop maintained that to reject amnesty for the sect is to be at the same level with them.
He argued that their destruction on the nation is not near the devastation of apartheid in South Africa; yet, under President Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu had to offer amnesty to allow for reconciliation process.
Kukah said, “To paraphrase the Yoruba adage, the hand that gives amnesty is on top of the hand that receives. “An offer of amnesty is not the same as a declaration of amnesty.
“An offer of amnesty brings the penitent to the table as a first step.
“Amnesty is a process not a destination. The offer of Amnesty will not solve all our problems, but it will bring us closer to a new dawn.”
He regretted that the amnesty issue has been turned into a political football and has drained it of its moral content.
He noted that no matter the crimes committed by members of Boko Haram, those of them who are Nigerians have not lost their membership of the community.
“Naturally, the demagogues have continued to apply extremist language, arguing more from the stomach than the head and thus generating more heat than light.
“Rather than look at the issues of amnesty in the light of the past, present and future of the nation, we have focused more on how they fit the survivalist instincts of the president and his ruling party.
“As usual, selfish interests overtake national interests and survival,” the bishop lamented.
Kukah said it will be a terrible mistake to think that the moral convictions of a leader should have no bearing on public policy.
“A leader should approach public policy with the sense of his conviction as long as these are in keeping with the rules of engagement, namely the constitution and his conscience.
“I believe that the president ventured into this debate too early without enough homework and allowing the systems to exhaust the options.” He observed that the processes of how an amnesty can be achieved are complex and they are a science of sorts.
“He posited that no one receives amnesty for nothing without surrendering something in return: renouncing their moral perfidy.
“A sense of remorse, an assurance that one will get a hearing, that a prodigal son might even be considered for the role of a servant by a benevolent father.” According to him, “the word amnesty found its way from Greek through Latin to public use in the 16h century.
“The focus of its usage has tended to be more in the political realm especially in relation to ending belligerence by rebels and combatants or political prisoners or other forms of criminality.”
http://www.sundaytrust.com.ng/index.php/news/12582-kukah-calls-for-amnesty-for-boko-haram
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 31, 2013
Oga Bishop,you are making sence.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by Nobody: 11:01am On Mar 31, 2013
Bishop Kukah has said what priests say from their pulpit

Sometimes the liberal arguments of Preachermen are so divorced from reality and usually not carefully analysed for implications!

I am pretty sure that if Boko Haram were to lay down their arms today and we dont see any bombings in the next 2years Nigerians will forgive them by default and move on. The last time I checked that has not happened yet.

But if the Bishop is suggesting that the Government should provide some kind of payment to Boko haram in order to stop the violence then with all due respect to the Bishop he needs to advise where the money to fund such a programme should come from? He must also advise where Nigeria will find money to pay out the next terror group because after Boko Haram is paid out, another terror group will emerge asking for amnesty too.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by okosodo: 11:25am On Mar 31, 2013
Upon all his exposure, he does not know the meaning of the term “global jihad“
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by dulaman: 11:59am On Mar 31, 2013
What will the e-warlords call him now? Boko haram apologist?
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by Ddaji(m): 12:53pm On Mar 31, 2013
Bishop kukah is one of the bokoharam sponsor ,that is tradition in nairaland,anybody that call for amnesty is surely bokoharam goodfather.we know them by their names
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by rabzy01: 1:37pm On Mar 31, 2013
Mods, I think this topic is front page material.
Thank you.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by omiobo: 1:52pm On Mar 31, 2013
If they are willing to repent,I think they should be forgiven.

Warning; talk ur own,no quote me con dey formit rubbish. For own good,no let Obatala drain your blood.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by rabzy01: 1:57pm On Mar 31, 2013
Some Nairalanders are so biased to the extent that they refused to understand the meaning of amnesty. How on earth will somebody be interpreting it to mean dashing out money to warlords like Dokubo?
If the UK, with its complex defence and security system could not defeat IRA, but had to dialogue with them at the end, I wonder how Nigerian security agencies can defeat Boko Haram.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by k2039: 2:01pm On Mar 31, 2013
omiobo: If they are willing to repent,I think they should be forgiven.
Warning; talk ur own,no quote me con dey formit rubbish. For own good,no let Obatala drain your blood.
[size=13pt] I no get wetin I wan talk ooo
[/size]
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by omiobo: 2:13pm On Mar 31, 2013
k2039: [size=13pt] I no get wetin I wan talk ooo
[/size]

gringringrin guy,u scarce like PHCN light for my area.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by sammyzacks(m): 2:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
I am beginning to have doubts about Kukah's stand as a man of God. But I can't conclude just yet.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by jumobi1(m): 2:33pm On Mar 31, 2013
How can you give amnesty to people who don't show remorse?
Let them stop bombing first.
The amnesty they can get if any is not to arrest their lower ranking members
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by kokoA(m): 2:33pm On Mar 31, 2013
I took something out of the bishop's messege. He said "An offer of amnesty is not thesame as a declaration of amnesty". I personally think if the government can put this offer on the table, sad as it seems, quite a number of boko foot soldiers who are already tired of this "endless war" will embrace it. Wouldn't it be better to reduce their number and then deal with a few unrepentant ones? We have lost enough lives in Nigeria already, I believe any possible solution to this madness should be considered (even an offer of amnesty).Bishop kukah is known to be a man of peace. Inspite of all the pains boko has caused him and other clergy men in the north by killing innocent church members, he still has a mind of forgiveness. True men of God are easily identified by their actions.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by agriboom: 2:50pm On Mar 31, 2013
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by AlQaadir: 3:05pm On Mar 31, 2013
rabzy01: Some Nairalanders are so biased to the extent that they refused to understand the meaning of amnesty. How on earth will somebody be interpreting it to mean dashing out money to warlords like Dokubo?
If the UK, with its complex defence and security system could not defeat IRA, but had to dialogue with them at the end, I wonder how Nigerian security agencies can defeat Boko Haram.
If we can't defeat them as you said we go our different ways because the northern minorities has woken up now[b][/b]
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by nduchucks: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2013
mikeansy:

I am pretty sure that if Boko Haram were to lay down their arms today and we dont see any bombings in the next 2years Nigerians will forgive them by default and move on. The last time I checked that has not happened yet.

The last time you checked, that has not happened because Boko Haram has not been given the opportunity to lay down their arms, like it was done for MEND.

But if the Bishop is suggesting that the Government should provide some kind of payment to Boko haram in order to stop the violence then with all due respect to the Bishop he needs to advise where the money to fund such a programme should come from? He must also advise where Nigeria will find money to pay out the next terror group because after Boko Haram is paid out, another terror group will emerge asking for amnesty too.

The problem with the above is that, the bishop is not suggesting that the Government should provide some kind of payment to Boko haram in order to stop the violence. You are therefore responding to statements or 'facts' which you manufactured - no need to tell Kukah anything with or without due respect.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2013
"like it was done for MEND"

That is the key

MEND was paid off and this is what you are asking for and yet you deny that it is not about money?

1 Like

Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by nduchucks: 4:04pm On Mar 31, 2013
mikeansy: "like it was done for MEND"

That is the key

MEND was paid off and this is what you are asking for and yet you deny that it is not about money?

Call it what you wish, payoff, rehabilitation, amnesty, or whatever. No one can deny the fact that we have had less killings, less disruption of important economic activities in the area, and much more stability, as a result of Yar'Adua's amnesty program, in the area.

I and most well meaning Nigerians will pay any price to save the lives of Nigerians and rehabilitate thousands of youths in the North, much like was done in the SS.

1 Like

Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by honeric01(m): 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2013
Ddaji: Bishop kukah is one of the bokoharam sponsor ,that is tradition in nairaland,anybody that call for amnesty is surely bokoharam goodfather.we know them by their names

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by rabzy01: 4:54pm On Mar 31, 2013
OK, why not do it the BIAFRAN way instead of waiting for boko haram do it for you?
By the way, is the Bishop not from the minorities as you called them?
Al_Qaadir:
If we can't defeat them as you said we go our different ways because the northern minorities has woken up now[b][/b]
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by masu: 5:21pm On Mar 31, 2013
no amnesty for bokoharam and their leaders which is hausa fulani leaders.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by OsunOriginal: 6:13pm On Mar 31, 2013
sammyzacks: I am beginning to have doubts about Kukah's stand as a man of God. But I can't conclude just yet.

I agree - only pastors from SE villages are true men of God. Like Rev. King, etc.

Dumbo...

1 Like

Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by Nobody: 6:18pm On Mar 31, 2013
The man is using style to beg Boko Haram not to bomb his church. Maybe he has a lot of customers in his church paying offerings he can't afford to lose
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by thirty(m): 6:45pm On Mar 31, 2013
okosodo: Upon all his exposure, he does not know the meaning of the term “global jihad“
The most Rev. Kuka does not know the meaning of “global jihad“. You can tell him. My brother the most important thing is to end this act by all means. If not, it may be sibbling.
Re: Bishop Kukah Calls For Amnesty For Boko Hara by kokoA(m): 7:08pm On Mar 31, 2013
chiover: The man is using style to beg Boko Haram not to bomb his church. Maybe he has a lot of customers in his church paying offerings he can't afford to lose
Ordeh! He is a catholic bishop and a well respected states man.

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi Floors Jonathan: Wins Re-election As Governors Forum Chairman / Is The Political Sophistication Of The South-west A Fallacy ? / More ''good News'' From Northern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.