Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,726 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:13 AM

Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights (3129 Views)

Man Fights Fuel Attendant At Oando Filling Station Over N30 Change (photo) / Census: Yoruba Vs Ibo / 7 Ways To Avoid Bans And E-fights This New Year. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by rhymz(m): 10:54am On Apr 01, 2013
This is to address the other aspects of the ugly trend that has debased the general level of intellectual discussion on NL.
Gratefully, Ivynwa has been very thoughtful and instrumental in bringing this problem to the table for discussion with her thread, "Yoruba and Igbo Kiss and Make up thread".

Apparently, the thread may not have achieved its full aims but I dare say it has been able to record some noticeable success:
a. At least, many of us are coming out to condemn this ugly trend that always seems to creep its way into every discussion on NL.
b. Following the comments on that thread, it is safe to conclude that almost everyone wants it to stop or change, we all want the level of intellectual discourse to be raised way beyond the shenanigans of uneccessary tribal sentiments and debasing exchanges.

However, I will like to delve into other aspects of this malaise, this part of the problem as far as I am concerned (my opinion by the way, you do not have to agree with it) is the root of the general debasement of discussion on this forum, I am talking about the exploitative and irresponsible financial considerations of the owner of NL, Seun Osewa ( No disrespect intended) with regard to the management of NL.
Seun has largely shown that he is more interested in getting traffic, more google ad sense profits, drawing any kind of crowd for advertorial purposes I guess ( regardless of the quality) and exploiting from the profits of controversy, acrimonious discussions and hate-filled threads and posts on his forum.

This is not the first time I have raised this issue that have continued to be an annoying feature of NL, what exactly is the rationale for having sections like:
Secterian Section
Tribalism Section or whatever suggestive name he calls it these days
Sexuality section ( with very stewpid word modifications for obviously harmless words).
A look at the general set-up of NL shows that the forum is structured in a way that is exploitative of sensitive disccussions and considerations, it is laden with suggestive sections that give impetus to all sorts of divisive modes of discussion and antics. Yet, we all want to ignore these very obvious and deliberate flaws and hope for a decent discussions on NL with minimum concentration on tribal sentiments and debasing exchanges. It is like asking for a virgin prostitute, wishful but not existent.

This same pretentious bent in addressing nagging issues is reflective of our attitude in the way we handle Nigeria as a country. We hate to talk about the obvious roots rather we want it shortcut and immediately done, reminds me of the very ignoble advice from Tinubu that Bokoharam be placated with amnesty, forgeting that amnesty is only a shortcut to solving the main issues. I am guessing people clamouring for such are doing so with the general belief that Niger-Delta militancy problem has finally been solved; what a folly conclusion!

Until there is a general clamour by users of this forum for Seun -Yes Seun- to emphasis a little less on maximising profits from his huge traffic generating antics with those sections that promote acrimonious discussions that turn people into real life tribalists and hate-filled demons.
Many of us like to pretend that it is not having any effect on our personalities or the way we view other people different from us but we all know that the only person that readily believes such a lie is ourselves, when you debate with others outside the bandwidth of NL, you will understand it better.

Imagine as an Igbo person that grew up in Lagos, lived my life mostly around Yoruba and other southern people coming to NL to discover that all along, the friendly smiles anf laughters, sacrifices, love, and harmonious living with these wonderful people so far have been fake; that these people have been putting up with me; that they hate my guts; the whole thing according to the impression I get from NL have largely been a charade. That is the impression that one always comes off with after visiting NL. Some of us in order to protect our sanity and personality have reduced visits to the forum, some have stopped all together.

Amidst all this weird fun and entertainment many think and feel they get from such discussions are the dangers of the effects it is having on one's personality. I refuse to believe that one will post a full article and numerous re-joinders steeped heavily with hateful commentaries, depictions, curses and so on about another tribe without qualms and then turn around to say it was done just for fun that he or she didn't mean it, realy
I doubt many of us understand the indirect effects of mind-conditioning when we make such frivolous claims of only being hateful on the confines of NL bandwidth. I don't know about many people here, but for me, I mean exactly what I write and what I write means exactly my views. We can argue and disagree but it should be done with the right doses of respect for our differences and sentiments.
In conclusion, I believe it is high the users unequivcally put pressure on Seun and the Moderators to be decisive and sincere in the way they manage NL, we all understand his need to make profits from traffic and all that, however it should not be at the expense of the people that use the forum, it should not be all about money and popularity, NL is increasing becoming notorious for trash talk, debasing arguments, hate agents and so on, imagine an official from the NSCDC quoting NL first as one of the sites for fraudulent stuff, NL by now should have passed such classifications whether quoted by mistake or not.
More threads should spring up taken up the course for decent discussions here, who says one can not have a very intellectually robust arguments here devoid of all tribal fights and acrimony

13 Likes

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by malc619(m): 11:21am On Apr 01, 2013
Nairaland's evolution into a forum for tribal wars and ethnic hate mongering seems to be irreversible..
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by vizboy(m): 11:52am On Apr 01, 2013
True talk @op these nonsense E_tribal war is getting out of hand. We all need to join hands together and put things together cause i beleive if we have a united front nothing can stop us from acheiveing our goal. Including these BH issue
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by tawa89(f): 12:01pm On Apr 01, 2013
True tok @ OP. I didnt even know that Yorubas and Igbos have issues till i discovered Nairaland. I used to have a nationalistic view to issues in Nigeria like i campaigned for Buhari rather than GEJ during the elections but these views changed since i started getting addicted to the politics section. I won't lie to u these tribals wars affects me and my views on issues.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Alfamann: 12:53pm On Apr 01, 2013
op, if you no like am, go create your own forum.

1 Like

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by ifyalways(f): 1:04pm On Apr 01, 2013
Long write up, funny opinion.
Seun is in Ota thinking of how to power on his I-better-pass my neighbour generator so he can enjoy his hot amala and should be blamed because 2 over grown babies in uk/us enjoying free internet, welfare(lolx) and all other perks decides to come online to flex muscle and form gangster?

My oga at the top must not hear this. . .

4 Likes

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 01, 2013
So you expect me to read that rubbish write up.

Seun I think it is time you created a proper business around nairaland and exempt yourself from these useless talk.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by rhymz(m): 1:44pm On Apr 01, 2013
ifyalways: Long write up, funny opinion.
Seun is in Ota thinking of how to power on his I-better-pass my neighbour generator so he can enjoy his hot amala and should be blamed because 2 over grown babies in uk/us enjoying free internet, welfare(lolx) and all other perks decides to come online to flex muscle and form gangster?

My oga at the top must not hear this. . .
Yeah right, long write up. . . Like that is supposed to be the problem. You are prolly one of the many posters in Romance section, it is understandable if you do not understand or appreciate the enormity of the issues this "long write up" addresses. It is attitude like this that makes people disrespect other people's essence and foolishly turn sensitive issues into some light joke for entertainment only to later complain about being stereotyped. May be if you took some of them seriously, you will save yourself the usual degrading stereotypes from serious people. On a more serious not, if many of the kind of very bitter discussions that one sees here were to be said in real life, many people will prolly have lost their lives for real, that's how serious it can get, may be then, people like you will give a damn afterall.
Anyway, I have made my point, it is obvious NL is fast going to the dogs, NL used to be very interesting with quality discussions and very many informed posters, today it is a very different case. Some of like to unwind here after work or during breaks, asking for the bar to be raised is not too much to ask I guess.

9 Likes

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Ejine(m): 2:17pm On Apr 01, 2013
The views and opinions expressed by the original poster on these issues are relevant to my interests.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by pheyikemi: 3:08pm On Apr 01, 2013
True talk @ op. I used to fink nairaland shd b a place to unite all Nigerians irrespective of tribes but it's now a place for tribals wars. If smfn is to be done abt it, the MODERATORS r in d best positn to do it. But no they won't.

N.B: don't hide my post o
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Nextlevel0007(m): 3:41pm On Apr 01, 2013
front page...b4 i comment
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by iichidodo: 4:05pm On Apr 01, 2013
My brother, u cannot stop a moving train. The sentiments of the people are borne in their psyche. Nairaland has opened our eyes to the psyche of the people, inside here, u are free to say whatever it is you want but if it means constantly denigrating a particular tribe that has done nothin wrong, who are we to fold our hands in akimbo? We cannot wait for Seun to do much but take the fight back to them lest this constant witch:hunting seep through the pores of Nairaland and into the perception of the general public.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 01, 2013
Is he (Seun) the one that is bringing up issues that is generating e-tribal war? Definitely, i don't think he will be happy reading comments on tribal issues. On the other hand what is making this forum more lively is that people are really showing the kind of person they are by their comments on political issues on this forum. Whether you like it or not Seun himself can not stop tribalism on this forum, he can only instruct his moderator to hide the post or ban the poster.
Mind you some people have many ids so banning may not curb them.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by tomakint: 4:36pm On Apr 01, 2013
vizboy: True talk @op these nonsense E_tribal war is getting out of hand. We all need to join hands together and put things together cause i beleive if we have a united front nothing can stop us from acheiveing our goal. Including these BH issue
Hatred, discriminations, tribalism, and other vices that antagonise peace are as old as mankind there is nothing anyone can do about that, the more reason the United Nations was established to bring about peaceful resolution to the world but you will agree with me that the world had witnessed series of conflicts in their countless numbers from 1939 when the idea of League of Nations was conceived (which later metamorphosed into the UN in 1945) till now! Just create a peaceful atmosphere first within you, your wife or husband and your children because this world lives on pretense cool
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by tomakint: 4:38pm On Apr 01, 2013
Seun gotta make money through traffic for his esteemed site, however the issue of e-tribal wars are sign that a lot is wrong with this contraption called Nigeria! No matter how you preach, some Yorubas have conditioned their minds not to have anything to do with the Igbos, some Igbos are like that too the same with other tribes. But you as an inidividual reserves the right to say no to these vices and choose to live at peace with your fellow compatriots irrespective of tribes, orientations, colours, religions, background etc cool
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Obiagu1(m): 4:45pm On Apr 01, 2013
All the racism on Nairaland can be linked to the UK welfare system. If one is observant, most former US based racists have all stopped or come back once in a while but those in the UK, Dayokanu, Shymmex, etc, persistent pests on Nairaland are obviously living off welfare.

Why a man will be online 247 screaming y'ibo, y'ibo is beyond believe, they are just the equivalent of "white trash"!

9 Likes

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by PointB: 5:34pm On Apr 01, 2013
Does not been tribalistic mean to always be politically correct, at the detriment of truth? Does it mean living a lie; even in a faceless public forum?

If one cannot be himself in an annonymous forum, pray say, where can he/she?

1 Like

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by joeyfire(m): 6:06pm On Apr 01, 2013
rhymz:
Imagine as an Igbo person that grew up in Lagos, lived my life mostly around Yoruba and other southern people coming to NL to discover that all along, the friendly smiles anf laughters, sacrifices, love, and harmonious living with these wonderful people so far have been fake; that these people have been putting up with me; that they hate my guts.

OP - no worry yourself the people you grew up with in lagos are very different from the frustrated diaspora yorubas typing like freaks from their basements repeating the same nonsense in an attempt to incite hatred. Most ppl in nigeria are not so twisted
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Jarus(m): 6:14pm On Apr 01, 2013
I don't think Seun deliberately fuels the Igbo-Yoruba dichotomy, and I don't think he is happy about it either. But he is helpless.

It used to worry me too and when I became a mod in 2010 I made eradication of tribalism one of my cardinal targets. I later got to know there is hardly anything anyone can do about it. Ban is hardly effective. If you ban, it doesn't take 2 minutes to register a new ID. It goes on and on.

Frankly, I don't see tribal slurs ending soon.

1 Like

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 01, 2013
Obiagu1: All the racism on Nairaland can be linked to the UK welfare system. If one is observant, most former US based racists have all stopped or come back once in a while but those in the UK, Dayokanu, Shymmex, etc, persistent pests on Nairaland are obviously living off welfare.

Why a man will be online 247 screaming y'ibo, y'ibo is beyond believe, they are just the equivalent of "white trash"!

LMAO grin That is a very simplistic way of looking at it. Didn't you and many others here cheer on the likes of EzeUche and Nchara when they started bashing Yoruba on Nairaland.

Even the op was a prominent Yoruba basher on Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by cjrane: 6:32pm On Apr 01, 2013
They want to increase NL viewership by writing very offensive things about Igbo vs. Yoruba. In that way,they will whip up enough negative emotions to keep people visiting and posting on the website.

Good business strategy,but it's killing the badly needed southern solidarity between these principal southern ethnic groups.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by rhymz(m): 7:05pm On Apr 01, 2013
Just to make my arguments clear as it is obvious some people think Seun is helpless and that my criticism of his management style is a little unfair.
I believe Seun is not helpless, especially if we can be serious enough to explore other avenues to stop curb this casual like for uneccessary acrimony that has become a constant problem here.
First Seun needs to do away with certain sections of the forums that clearly suggest that such threads are allowed. The problem is not so much in the moderation of already posted comments but with the very wrong idea that says this kind of topic, discussions or threads can be posted in certain sections. The idea of "it is allowed here" is actually the root cause.
of course I understand that moderators can't be available all the time to clear certain offensive posts, however, there has to be an effective way to nip it in the bud even before it takes off.
On the contrary, what one finds on NL is this deliberate effort to rather sponsor many offensive threads from these "shit out your guts" sections in the forum to the front page, apparently to draw in more crowd-useless crowd at that- the kind of crowd that scares and suppresses meritable and intelligent debates and argument but supports, copiously, debasing trashy talk against one another and yet we are all Nigerians and Africans.
I wonder why everyone seems to be of the opinion that it is a helpless situation, HOW? Nairaland is not the only Nigerian online forum on the net but it seems to be competing for the trashiest online forum with the way every tom ,dyck and Charly piss and shit from outside and call it fun.
May be when he begins to pull in genuine effort in that direction things my start changing at least. Nobody is asking for a perfect forum but there should be some genuine efforts on the parts of the management to curb the ugly trend, it is wrong to leave it at the discretion of users of the forum, anonymity grants every perv and weirdos the right to do what they like just because it is assumed that they are adulyts and are supposed to know how to act. Nobody runs a serious business that way, I am sure.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by redsun(m): 7:28pm On Apr 01, 2013
It is a fight that must go on to expose the ills and cure the sickness.Nigeria in a tribal and primitive state can not progress.

Nigeria is sick,it needs cure.Knowledge.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Chubhie: 8:21pm On Apr 01, 2013
If minds as Negro could join the mix.... Then tis only a matter of time before every member catches the bug. But if this is how the owner wants to run his business why not... Maybe be the time is right for a competitor to help keep him on his toes.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Genius100: 8:35pm On Apr 01, 2013
Jarus: I don't think Seun deliberately fuels the Igbo-Yoruba dichotomy, and I don't think he is happy about it either. But he is helpless.

It used to worry me too and when I became a mod in 2010 I made eradication of tribalism one of my cardinal targets. I later got to know there is hardly anything anyone can do about it. Ban is hardly effective. If you ban, it doesn't take 2 minutes to register a new ID. It goes on and on.

Frankly, I don't see tribal slurs ending soon.

Here in the western world, you can ban the ip address of the offenders and they won't be able to register from the same device/same connection. Unless the IP addresses in Nigeria are not unique, I don't see why this same approach cannot be followed. Second, in addition to banning the offenders, you can erase all their previous posts. The bottom line here is that you have to disincentivize that kind of behavior by punishing it severely. This same issue of impunity is the reason why Nigeria is so corrupt. Besides all this, when posters realize that the mods/admins are dead serious about punishing this kind of offence, it will reduce considerably. No one was convinced you guys were really against tribalism when you were a moderator.

Now in all fairness, things have improved in the last week or so. So kudos to OAM4J who has been on the receiving end of abuses from the people he has banned. That is a signal that he is doing a good job.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Nobody: 8:45pm On Apr 01, 2013
redsun: It is a fight that must go on to expose the ills and cure the sickness.Nigeria in a tribal and primitive state can not progress.

Nigeria is sick,it needs cure.Knowledge.
hmmmm....
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Odunnu: 9:06pm On Apr 01, 2013
rhymz: Just to make my arguments clear as it is obvious some people think Seun is helpless and that my criticism of his management style is a little unfair.
I believe Seun is not helpless, especially if we can be serious enough to explore other avenues to stop curb this casual like for uneccessary acrimony that has become a constant problem here.
First Seun needs to do away with certain sections of the forums that clearly suggest that such threads are allowed. The problem is not so much in the moderation of already posted comments but with the very wrong idea that says this kind of topic, discussions or threads can be posted in certain sections. The idea of "it is allowed here" is actually the root cause.
of course I understand that moderators can't be available all the time to clear certain offensive posts, however, there has to be an effective way to nip it in the bud even before it takes off.
On the contrary, what one finds on NL is this deliberate effort to rather sponsor many offensive threads from these "shit out your guts" sections in the forum to the front page, apparently to draw in more crowd-useless crowd at that- the kind of crowd that scares and suppresses meritable and intelligent debates and argument but supports, copiously, debasing trashy talk against one another and yet we are all Nigerians and Africans.
I wonder why everyone seems to be of the opinion that it is a helpless situation, HOW? Nairaland is not the only Nigerian online forum on the net but it seems to be competing for the trashiest online forum with the way every tom ,dyck and Charly piss and shit from outside and call it fun.
May be when he begins to pull in genuine effort in that direction things my start changing at least. Nobody is asking for a perfect forum but there should be some genuine efforts on the parts of the management to curb the ugly trend, it is wrong to leave it at the discretion of users of the forum, anonymity grants every perv and weirdos the right to do what they like just because it is assumed that they are adulyts and are supposed to know how to act. Nobody runs a serious business that way, I am sure.
I have been trying to understand you. While you seem to want a problem solved, you appear to have exclusive rights over the solution.
I don't understand the maze you are putting me thru in this post.
When you talk about section s , could you name these sections that promote this?
Are you also proferring that the 'anonymity' be stripped off NL users?
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Odunnu: 9:07pm On Apr 01, 2013
Double post. Epileptic network
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Tolexander: 10:15pm On Apr 01, 2013
Well, since i don't engage in e- tribal war. Then i have little to say.
Seun knows better why he chose to run his business like that.
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 01, 2013
Tolexander: Well, since i don't engage in e- tribal war.
why you dey lie na? shocked
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by free2ryhme: 10:32pm On Apr 01, 2013
seun is seated facing his laptop and crying cry,"Why did i create Nairaland"? cryWhy, crywhy, crywhy
Re: Seun Osewa Stop Exploiting The "Yoruba Vs Igbo" Tribal Fights by Tolexander: 10:34pm On Apr 01, 2013
berem: why you dey lie na? shocked
lie? I no dey lie o.
Agbalagba ko ki n pa iro o.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wow I'm Missing My Period / Nigerian Boys Pouring Expensive Drinks On Their Shoes (pics) / Happy New Month To All Nairalanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.