Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL (7368 Views)

Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / "Servicing The Injector Nozzles" - Meaning In Nigerian Context? / Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by streetsoldier1(m): 8:30am On Apr 02, 2013
Hello peeps,
A rewire advised me to change my fuel system from injector to cabaurator, claiming its easier to fix...pls expert in the house, how reliable is this advise? Moreso can I get a good rewire in the house?
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 02, 2013
street-soldier:
Hello peeps,
A rewire advised me to change my fuel system from injector to cabaurator, claiming its easier to fix...pls expert in the house, how reliable is this advise? Moreso can I get a good rewire in the house?

What's actually wrong with your engine, at this moment in time?

Also, you don't state what engine size your Vento has.
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by streetsoldier1(m): 9:09am On Apr 02, 2013
I guess the problem started when the fuel got used up, I poured some inside the thank from keg and it refused to start, called a rewire and said twas fuel pump, twas changed but the issue persit, I dunno the engine capacity but I think vento GL is 1.8, so the rewire then suggested I change to cabaurator...can u dig that?
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 02, 2013
street-soldier:
I guess the problem started when the fuel got used up, I poured some inside the thank from keg and it refused to start, called a rewire and said twas fuel pump, twas changed but the issue persit, I dunno the engine capacity but I think vento GL is 1.8, so the rewire then suggested I change to cabaurator...can u dig that?

No, I don't agree.

The fuel-injected engine trumps the carburetor one, in every way - power, efficiency, performance, ease of starting in every condition etc. There's no reason to downgrade.

The problem is, you've taken your car to a roadie, who has no business wielding a screwdriver within 400 yards of a wheelbarrow. He has misdiagnosed the issue with your car, simply bent you over, and given you the rough end of a pineapple.

The Vento / Golf III were NEVER fitted with carburetor engines. They are all fuel-injected, either single or multi-port FI. The inlet valves of injected engines are larger than the equivalent carburettor version. The camshaft profiles are also different. Fitting an intake manifold from a VW Golf II and matching carburettor will get the engine running, but it'll never be right. The cylinder head ports are not designed to be fed by a carb. It will give rise to all manner of issues, poor gas mileage, and hot-running. Fuel also cools the intake, a carb won't supply enough to do the job.

Detonation will also occur - the compression ration of a fuel-injected engine is higher than that of the equivalent carb-fed one. Detonation over time will blow holes in your piston crowns.

Look for a REAL technician, who isn't there to simply take your money, and send you away with a dead car.
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by streetsoldier1(m): 11:33am On Apr 02, 2013
A million thanks to you, do u think the problem is basically the fuel line or other issues attached like the E.C.U could also be faulty cos after changing the fuel pump the problem stil persist
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 02, 2013
street-soldier:
A million thanks to you, do u think the problem is basically the fuel line or other issues attached like the E.C.U could also be faulty cos after changing the fuel pump the problem stil persist

I could hazard a guess, but I won't, as that could well send you chasing shadows. You don't say whay year your Vento is, but if it's '94 onwards, it'll be OBDII compliant. Up to '93 will be OBD compliant, with the 2 x 2 connectors.

OBD is meant to make things easier, with regards to diagnostics. Why are you choosing the hard way, and using mechanics who's sole aim is to bleed you white? Once your "mechanic" starts hinting you "convert" your engine to an older one from a 1984 car, (downgrade) it's time to start looking for another tech, who's credentials come endorsed. They'll charge more money, but at least they're likely to know what they're doing, and not reduce your car to a pile of rubble.

Good luck.
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by streetsoldier1(m): 3:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
Port

Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by streetsoldier1(m): 3:57pm On Apr 02, 2013
Thatz the port for the scanner I guess? Any clue?
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 02, 2013
street-soldier:
Thatz the port for the scanner I guess? Any clue?

That's the port. So get your car scanned. Cheaper than simply throwing money at it randomly.
Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by edoyad(m): 4:29pm On Apr 02, 2013
Siena:

No, I don't agree.

The fuel-injected engine trumps the carburetor one, in every way - power, efficiency, performance, ease of starting in every condition etc. There's no reason to downgrade.

[size=14pt]The problem is, you've taken your car to a roadie, who has no business wielding a screwdriver within 400 yards of a wheelbarrow. He has misdiagnosed the issue with your car, simply bent you over, and given you the rough end of a pineapple.
[/size]
The Vento / Golf III were NEVER fitted with carburetor engines. They are all fuel-injected, either single or multi-port FI. The inlet valves of injected engines are larger than the equivalent carburettor version. The camshaft profiles are also different. Fitting an intake manifold from a VW Golf II and matching carburettor will get the engine running, but it'll never be right. The cylinder head ports are not designed to be fed by a carb. It will give rise to all manner of issues, poor gas mileage, and hot-running. Fuel also cools the intake, a carb won't supply enough to do the job.

Detonation will also occur - the compression ration of a fuel-injected engine is higher than that of the equivalent carb-fed one. Detonation over time will blow holes in your piston crowns.

Look for a REAL technician, who isn't there to simply take your money, and send you away with a dead car.

OMG LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can I Change Fuel System From "Injector To Cabaurator" Vento GL by streetsoldier1(m): 7:39pm On Apr 02, 2013
Thanks siena,....can anyone in the house help with a scanner? How much does scanning cost?...anyone arounnd ikeja/iyana-ipaja/alimosho axis?? Thanks

(1) (Reply)

......how To Read Out Manufacture Date Of Your Engine Oil.... / Different Btw M/benz C180,c200,c230 N C230 Kompressor. / Does A Non-lagos Plate Get Captured By Payvis.ng?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.