Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft (3978 Views)

FG Borrows N600bn Annually To Augment Staff Salaries, Says SGF / Nigeria Loses $966m To Crude Oil Swap Deal – NEITI / Traders In Computer Village Generate $2bn Annually To Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by mamikky: 1:59pm On Apr 02, 2013
The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) says the country loses six billion dollars annually to crude oil theft.

Mr Babatunde Ogun, PENGASSAN’s President, made this known at a joint forum with the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) in Lagos on Sunday.

He said that Nigeria also lost N105 billion to theft of refined products.

“This is a threat to our national security and our democracy. If this kind of huge amount of money gets into the wrong hands, it can destabilise our democracy and national security,’’ Ogun said.

He blamed the incessant loss of billions of money on vandalism of crude oil and petroleum products’ pipeline.

He express regrets that security forces had been unable to arrest the unwholesome practise which led to fire disaster in Arepo and Ogun and the subsequent shut down of Nembe Creek Trunk line by Shell.

“An estimated 60,000 barrels per day of crude oil is stolen at Nembe Creek. Agip also suspended production in Bayelsa because 60 per cent of its production of about 90 barrels is stolen per day.’’

He said it was sad that no one had ever been caught or prosecuted even when the miscellaneous offence Act provides for life imprisonment for anyone who stole crude oil, petroleum product or vandalised pipelines.

He advised government to beef-up security and warned that the oil and gas sector would suspend production of crude oil and supply of petroleum products if nothing was done.

Ogun called on government to deal with the insecurity problem in view of the resurgence of kidnapping and continuous bombings.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/nigeria-loses-6bn-dollars-annually-to-crude-oil-theft/
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Mobsync(m): 2:24pm On Apr 02, 2013
And how does the stealing of oil money or this post of urs affect the cost of 33,000 litres of diesel at the NNPC depot at Mosimi?
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Sibrah: 2:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
That's cos Alams has been in the prison for some time now, once he gets back to his feet i am sure he will give a great speech that will pacify the oil thieves and militants. Fresh Air!!!
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Sibrah: 2:35pm On Apr 02, 2013
Mobsync: And how does the stealing of oil money or this post of urs affect the cost of 33,000 litres of diesel at the NNPC depot at Mosimi?
Once succesive govt succeeds in blocking the oil theft the thieves go into politics and become Godfathers, probably perpetrate new subsidy fraud and increase the price of crude oil indirectly. That's how they affect the price of crude oil.
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by BlackMamba2: 2:44pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sibrah: That's cos Alams has been in the prison for some time now, once he gets back to his feet i am sure he will give a great speech that will pacify the oil thieves and militants. Fresh Air!!!

That fresh air needs to come quickly cos Oil companies are already pulling out....
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Olaolufred(m): 2:46pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sibrah: That's cos Alams has been in the prison for some time now, once he gets back to his feet i am sure he will give a great speech that will pacify the oil thieves and militants. Fresh Air!!!

I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU.
IF GOODLUCK GIVES FRESH AIR,
ALAMS GIVES FRESHER AIR.
VOTE ALAMS IN BAYE 2015.
THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS IN ANIMAL JUNGLE.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Judolisco(m): 2:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
Wit dis money(6b) i wil neva b poor again
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by coogar: 2:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
$6 billion to oil theft?
imagine what that money would do to PHCN.....
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by idugbe(m): 3:01pm On Apr 02, 2013
And who is tracking how much we lose to corrupt politicians daily? Abeg make una stop this hypocrisy jare!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by moneyhungry(m): 3:06pm On Apr 02, 2013
I HAVE NO SHOES,
$O, PLEASE WHERE CAN I STEAL FROM?.
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by BlackMamba2: 3:07pm On Apr 02, 2013
Judolisco: Wit dis money(6b) i wil neva b poor again

Greedy clown... Just 25percent of that cash is good for me and my lineage, it could even reach some of my ancestors too

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by sylve11: 3:08pm On Apr 02, 2013
Nonsense!, they are all thieves! cool
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Watzhup: 3:10pm On Apr 02, 2013
Don't we all know who the thieves are?
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by ebamma(m): 3:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
Its simple go to rivers, bayelsa, and delta, arrest any man u see who has no viable means of income but owns cars, houses and loves throwing lavish parties
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by teejayreal(m): 3:25pm On Apr 02, 2013
All the government officials and politicians are thieves.
Check ma signature to get the dstv software.
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by enoch701(m): 3:29pm On Apr 02, 2013
Life is easy wit mtn free browsin sim. contact 08138239635 for mre information
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by 1shortblackboy: 3:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
omo boys make una collect una own jor. the one governemt dey collect since wetin dey carry am do angry
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by 50calibre(m): 3:33pm On Apr 02, 2013
$6bn! Jesus Christ!! Imagine what that money can do for Nigeria if put to good use. If these guy don't bleed that country dry, they won't rest
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by pomporiking: 3:34pm On Apr 02, 2013
Pls people are tired of this figures.we have known about it for years.if they don't have a solution they need to STFU
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by 32D: 3:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
Black Mamba:

Greedy clown... Just 25percent of that cash is good for me and my lineage, it could even reach some of my ancestors too
u two are greedy thieves, i need just 10percent of that amount....
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by nagoma(m): 3:57pm On Apr 02, 2013
Tompolo the ex- niger Delta militant was the most wanted person in Nigeria . In 2009 he was wanted for many crimes including the killing of 11 Nigerian soldiers ( officers and men) . Early Last year , 2012, Tompolo was selected to provide patrol against the oil thieves along the Nigerian costal waters as a 10 year renewable contract and is being paid 49 million Naira per week for this. He was also given the N 103.4 billion to supply 20 patrol boats for the exercise also done last year - July 2013. Some eediot like insincereNigerian will come and talk of improvement in fighting corruption. I will not be surprised if those N103.4 billion boats are the ones used for the current increase in the oil theft and by the people paid to stop it.
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Mobsync(m): 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sibrah: Once succesive govt succeeds in blocking the oil theft the thieves go into politics and become Godfathers, probably perpetrate new subsidy fraud and increase the price of crude oil indirectly. That's how they affect the price of crude oil.
Ok, thanks 4 xplaining
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by 7thCANON: 4:15pm On Apr 02, 2013
The topic may be rephrased as ''Nigerians make $6billion annually from crude oil theft''. Ask the senior military and police officers (especially naval), politicians (ministers, senators, governors), community leaders in the Niger Delta etc. The oil doesn't have wings to fly, they are transported through river tributaries and creeks and offloaded to vessels in the open sea dutifully guarded by our esteemed navy. Can remember that someone said the business should be legalized if government wants to make any income from it.
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
y are they telling us what we know already?
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Ama28(f): 4:44pm On Apr 02, 2013
This is the amount the other crooks stole, what of the ones the government and their cohorts stole?

miscellaneous offence Act is still a waste of resources, time and judicial process. If the government wants to curb this creek guys and stop bunkering, Mr Jonathan is a man that was raise around the river and creeks! He would offer better solution than me!
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by herquleez(m): 4:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
So? Government steal from top, poor man steal from down.

Like Sey if government makes that money it will get to the poor.

Oil theft won't stop till corruption stops from top
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by mrvictor: 4:58pm On Apr 02, 2013
What is N6billion to what government officials loot in the guise of house of rep, senators, ministers, governors,etc?
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by ochukoccna: 5:22pm On Apr 02, 2013
$6 billion=960 billion naira
That's an outrageously humungous amount
That's close to a quarter of our 4 trillion plus yearly national budget
Shame!
To think oil theft has abounded under Ebele's watch EVEN WITH THE SUPPOSED AMNESTY
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by Rick9(m): 5:29pm On Apr 02, 2013
mamikky: The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) says the country loses six billion dollars annually to crude oil theft.

Mr Babatunde Ogun, PENGASSAN’s President, made this known at a joint forum with the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) in Lagos on Sunday.

He said that Nigeria also lost N105 billion to theft of refined products.

“This is a threat to our national security and our democracy. If this kind of huge amount of money gets into the wrong hands, it can destabilise our democracy and national security,’’ Ogun said.

He blamed the incessant loss of billions of money on vandalism of crude oil and petroleum products’ pipeline.

He express regrets that security forces had been unable to arrest the unwholesome practise which led to fire disaster in Arepo and Ogun and the subsequent shut down of Nembe Creek Trunk line by Shell.

“An estimated 60,000 barrels per day of crude oil is stolen at Nembe Creek. Agip also suspended production in Bayelsa because 60 per cent of its production of about 90 barrels is stolen per day.’’

He said it was sad that no one had ever been caught or prosecuted even when the miscellaneous offence Act provides for life imprisonment for anyone who stole crude oil, petroleum product or vandalised pipelines.

He advised government to beef-up security and warned that the oil and gas sector would suspend production of crude oil and supply of petroleum products if nothing was done.

Ogun called on government to deal with the insecurity problem in view of the resurgence of kidnapping and continuous bombings.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/nigeria-loses-6bn-dollars-annually-to-crude-oil-theft/

k
Re: Nigeria Loses 6bn Dollars Annually To Crude Oil Theft by AroOkigbo(m): 5:31pm On Apr 02, 2013
coogar: $6 billion to oil theft?
imagine what that money would do to PHCN.....

It would be EMBEZZLED.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Linda Ikeji is not a Good Role Model- Blogger!! / Nigerian Army Arrest Two Soldiers Working With Boko Haram (pics) / Samuel Ladoke Akintola In The Eyes Of History!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.