Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,952 members, 7,952,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:54 AM

Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance - Music/Radio (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance (37484 Views)

Wizkid's 'Azonto' Among Non-american Summer Songs Of 2013 / Wizkid - Azonto (Video) / Photos From Wizkid Azonto Freestyle Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nomski0(f): 3:16am On May 01, 2013
[quote author=bibiking7]

[b][size=14pt]Sorry for your loss (bloody w.an.ker)

Dear Ghana,

Azonto is just a dance and your country is our 37th state. Deal with it.

I just cant stop laughing at this post. You just killed them.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by mikeapollo: 5:01pm On May 02, 2013
jiggaz: Guy you are such a joke!!! First of all, you are not a Nigerian, so stop forming familiarity. So u are now saying dat Nigerian Dancehall music is now copied from Ghana's Hiplife? Who knows Ghana's music sef? For ur info, Nigerians started knowing ur music from last year cos of Sarkodie's U go kill me. So u say dat in d last 5yrs,dat d Nigerian music was dull cos we dont have good hi-tempo songs? I laugh in Spanish.. So what happened to Terry G's & Timaya's songs back in d day? They are azonto-songs too? I pity some Ghanaians sha, who wants to compete with Naija cos u guys will die of High BP. So P Square & Lagbaja's Glo Unlimited song is now an imitation of Ghana's hiplife/azonto beats? I pity u people cos Nigerians doesnt know u guys exist. Naija is too BIG for Ghana, go compete with Kenya in Entertainment. I just pray u people dont spoil Sarkodie's & R2Bee's market for Nigeria wit ur jealousy. As for Samini, he has killed his career by dissing P Square,he ll neva blow in Naija. His music will never pass Accra. R2Bees dat said in an interview dat they will continue to do Nigerian-kinda music cos it's wat sells in Ghana & Africa, and u are here telling me abt hiplife. Anyways sha, i discovered a good Ghanaian rap artiste called EL, i will post his music here. U guys should just chill for Nigerians. Peace.

Big for nothing would count for nothing.
We need to be sincere for once and acknowledge truth!

The difference between people like and I is that I dont just dance to music. I appraise the trend and flow of style over time. I have been following Ghanaian and Nigerian music because I do visit Ghana. So I know what I am talking about. You seem to be someone that just dances to whatever you hear without analysing it.

Ask yourself....what style of music were Nigerian musicians playing just 5-10 years ago? What beats were they playing? They were all playing R&B!...from Tuface, Style Plus, Eeedris, etc.

But right now, they have changed their beats to follow the fast tempo highlife with rap (which was first created by Ghana and named Hiplife).The Azonto beat is just a faster and more funkified version of Hiplife.
Currentlt, virtually every Nigerian musician(except a few like 9ice,Banky W etc) are playing Azonto-compliant beats.

The point is, the musicians themselves know that they got the influence from Ghana and people like Silverbid/BBA's presenter IK has confirmed it recently.

Go listen to hard core hiplife songs from Ghana released in the 90s/early2000s as welll as Sarkodie's songs and you will know what I am talking about...that is if you want to learn and know the truth
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nomski0(f): 3:09pm On May 03, 2013
mikeapollo:

The difference between people like and I is that I dont just dance to music. I appraise the trend and flow of style over time. I have been following Ghanaian and Nigerian music because I do visit Ghana. So I know what I am talking about. You seem to be someone that just dances to whatever you hear without analysing it.

Ask yourself....what style of music were Nigerian musicians playing just 5-10 years ago? What beats were they playing? They were all playing R&B!...from Tuface, Style Plus, Eeedris, etc.

But right now, they have changed their beats to follow the fast tempo highlife with rap (which was first created by Ghana and named Hiplife).The Azonto beat is just a faster and more funkified version of Hiplife.
Currentlt, virtually every Nigerian musician(except a few like 9ice,Banky W etc) are playing Azonto-compliant beats.

The point is, the musicians themselves know that they got the influence from Ghana and people like Silverbid/BBA's presenter IK has confirmed it recently.

Go listen to hard core hiplife songs from Ghana released in the 90s/early2000s as welll as Sarkodie's songs and you will know what I am talking about...that is if you want to learn and know the truth

Lets assume that you are right. We Nigerians copied your high-life. But, You had the high life before we 'took it'. You sang with it, but why did the ghanain songs with their highlife not do so well like its nigerian counterparts?
So in summary you're saying is that we stole your highlife and trademarked it as ours....and we became the heart of african music? Why didnt the highlife which the ghanains owned and sang with make them the heart of african music?
Seriously chill. When it comes to entertainment, Nigeria is always ALWAYS and will forever be recognized before ghana. Deal with it.
Besides, as someone said on the site, Ghana is just our 37th state, on the other side of our border.
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nomski0(f): 9:50pm On May 12, 2013
mikeapollo:

If Azonto was not already popular globally, then tell me: how did Nigeria/Nigerians get to know about it? How did Wizkid get to know and sing about it even when most Nigerians did not know about it?
The truth is Azonto had been very popular among Africans in Europe and other countries. Many African musicians in Europe(including Nigerians) have been featuring Azonto in their music clips, before Nigeria joined.

African Azonto mass parties have been held in UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, US etc as early as late 2010 (after Ghana;s WC performances) and in 2011...long before Nigeria joined in 2012. The white guy that featured in D-Banj's 'Oliver Twist' video was discovered from the Azonto dance clips (in UK) on youtube long before D-Banj released his video

Go to Google and search for Azonto and you will see the trend

If we dont know about something, it does not mean that the thing does not exist....we need to seek and discover before we make arrogant comments.We must realise that the world does not start nor end with Nigeria. Things are happening in other places. If there is no electricity in Nigeria, it does not mean other places also dont have electricity!

My comments were not targeted at the nation 'Nigeria' as a whole. But we have to watch the way we try to undermine other people just because we are desperate to be reckoned with by all means....by hook or crook!

Give respect and get respect!

P-Square are very very successful. They are well known, and their music sells. They have achieved this by being original and creative in the past. GOOD. So why playing cheap and desperate to steal Azonto and then call it Alingo? That is what I cannot understand. Are they so desperate that they have to hijack the dance and call it another name?

I would understand if a not-too-successful musician had done that, but not a group like PSquare.
And we Nigerians should be honourable enough to admit when someone does a wrong thing.....we cannot just continue to celebrate mediocrity and dubious tendencies.

It is not about court of law...it is about being modest and sincere to acknowledge and appreciating genuine creativity.
Why do musicians like PSquare complain about copyright/piracy if they are stealing someone else's work and then put their name on it? It is a shame
I give credit to Wizkid and other musicians who proudly featured Azonto dance in their video clips without attempting to steal it by calling it another name.

Nigeria had Yahoozee, Galala, Swor,Alanta Etigi etc.....nobody has stolen them with another name! We should be honourable enough not to steal Azonto with Alingo(rubbish). Just enjoy the dance and move on. Dont use another name to steal it! It is disgraceful

!yawn! Its just a dance! Nigerian music was dominant before it rose globally, and nigerian music will still rule africa after it fades.
Enjoy your 15minutes of fame while it lasts.
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nobody: 1:22am On Jun 01, 2013
Rotflmao!!! Funny thread.
We won't hear word because of this dance from Ghanaians!
Even Makossa/ndebele was and still is popular than this dance across Africa, we don't hear the Congolese and bitching over it.
Iyanya used Makossa beats in his Kukere song, the owners of the beat did not cry. Why Ghana? Lol!
Chris Brown didn't even say it was from Nigeria. Only said Wizkid from Nigeria taught him. grin grin grin

Was never endeared to any of the azonto songs prior to Wizkid! grin grin grin Always had this 'wetin be dis' feeling after watching them. Wizkid's own is the best!!!!!! cool
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by OlaPhils(m): 2:55pm On Jun 03, 2013
after sarkodie who else, sarkodie himself can never do without Nigeriana, who listens to Ghanians songs? rubish, your song are well known to palmwine drinker, or bar, that s were Ghanians sonds are being played in Nigeria grin grin grin grin
mikeapollo:

Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by omar22(m): 6:16pm On Jun 03, 2013
So why playing cheap and desperate to steal Azonto and then call it Alingo?

P Diddy's most successful single - "I'll Be Missing You! was sampled from the Police's "Every Breath You Take". Sting (vocalist from The Police)

Ghanaians crying into their cornflakes just because someone decided to be inventive with their products...
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nomski0(f): 8:52pm On Jun 03, 2013
omar22:

P Diddy's most successful single - "I'll Be Missing You! was sampled from the Police's "Every Breath You Take". Sting (vocalist from The Police)

Ghanaians crying into their cornflakes just because someone decided to be inventive with their products...
i love that p.diddy's song, it was pure genius.
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by magnificentdav: 12:52am On Jun 04, 2013
Ghana musicians actors actress A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊. Even owners O̶̷̩̥̊͡ƒ universities cannot do without nigerians ø̲̣̣я̅ they wil βε̲̣ poor as hell!! Ur population is just 25 million the same population with only lagos state ooo and we have 36 states we come modify and repackage azonto give am worldwide recognition alingo is a collection O̶̷̩̥̊͡ƒ many dance steps gandnam style D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣­̣̥ dia too as F̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̝̇̇̇r̶̲̥̅̊ samani en market don fail F̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̝̇̇̇r̶̲̥̅̊ nigeria he won't sell again i didn't even know him until dat nonsense video he brought out sef and he's even usin 9ja slangs sef (garri no be rice) aint he copyin toooo son of a bitch Ūя̲̅ carrer is doomed i pray psquare D̶̲̥̅̊☺̣̣̥̇ŋ't answer u sef let you look foolish....
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by mikeapollo: 10:10am On Dec 24, 2013
magnificentdav: Ghana musicians actors actress A̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊. Even owners O̶̷̩̥̊͡ƒ universities cannot do without nigerians ø̲̣̣я̅ they wil βε̲̣ poor as hell!! Ur population is just 25 million the same population with only lagos state ooo and we have 36 states we come modify and repackage azonto give am worldwide recognition alingo is a collection O̶̷̩̥̊͡ƒ many dance steps gandnam style D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣­̣̥ dia too as F̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̝̇̇̇r̶̲̥̅̊ samani en market don fail F̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̝̇̇̇r̶̲̥̅̊ nigeria he won't sell again i didn't even know him until dat nonsense video he brought out sef and he's even usin 9ja slangs sef (garri no be rice) aint he copyin toooo son of a bitch Ūя̲̅ carrer is doomed i pray psquare D̶̲̥̅̊☺̣̣̥̇ŋ't answer u sef let you look foolish....

Foolish talk.
So you are happy and proud that Nigerians now travel to access good university education in Ghana? Your thinking is very distorted.
It is a foolish talk to use population to boast. What matters is what you are able to do and achieve with your population, no matter how big or small! That is why countries like Israel, Cuba, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland etc are respected globally even with populations below 10million.
Are you not ashamed that a nation of 150million does not have electricity and other basic things of life? We are becoming a global nuisance becaue of our shamelessness and reckless attitude.
Why do you want to repackage Azonto? Ghanaians do not need Nigeria's help/idea to repackage Azonto....they originated the dance style and they will repackage it whenever they fill like. Azonto had been reigning all over Europe and beyond before Nigerians reluctantly embraced it....go to youtube and check it out!
Go and repackage Galala, Etighi and Alanta etc and see how far you can go with them! Shamelessness

1 Like

Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by GHKWAME1: 11:06am On Dec 24, 2013
mikeapollo:

Foolish talk.
So you are happy and proud that Nigerians now travel to access good university education in Ghana? Your thinking is very distorted.
It is a foolish talk to use population to boast. What matters is what you are able to do and achieve with your population, no matter how big or small! That is why countries like Israel, Cuba, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland etc are respected globally even with populations below 10million.
Are you not ashamed that a nation of 150million does not have electricity and other basic things of life? We are becoming a global nuisance becaue of our shamelessness and reckless attitude.
Why do you want to repackage Azonto? Ghanaians do not need Nigeria's help/idea to repackage Azonto....they originated the dance style and they will repackage it whenever they fill like. Azonto had been reigning all over Europe and beyond before Nigerians reluctantly embraced it....go to youtube and check it out!
Go and repackage Galala, Etighi and Alanta etc and see how far you can go with them! Shamelessness
Lol! This Thread is dead. You can go to this link for a current Thread »»» https://www.nairaland.com/1561136/nigeria-economy-largest-africa-rebasing/19#20427836

1 Like

Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Dietrich92(m): 11:13am On Dec 24, 2013
don't be mad at chris brown for not knowing the complete origin of the dance moves.

Many african brothers in america are not well connected to their african roots
we only have a few remnants of whats left, and unfortunately by africans in the new world force to adapt to white culture for so many years even though we added a "African-ness" into theirs we have yet to embrace the roots themselves.
alot of times smart africans get called nerds or hippies for wishing to go back to the root
even though chris brown may not know the exact origin of the azonto dance, but atleast he is acknowledging a piece of motherland heritage to american pop culture.
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Chicertain(f): 4:49pm On Feb 09, 2017
mikeapollo:

The point is, the musicians themselves know that they got the influence from Ghana and people like Silverbid/BBA's presenter IK has confirmed it recently. My dear, go and sleep.Lies! Nigerians have always loved rythmic beats. Our great grand parents listened to fast paced rythms.Nigerian r and b aristes were laughed at, the ghetto ones were the ones selling. Subsequent ones simply did what would sell -ghetto music.Did your forefathers teach our forefathers fast paced rythms? Quick beats are not new.Young people like fast stuff.Iyanya found out that r and b would not sell but ghetto would.NOBODY in Nigeria has ever survived on an Rand B career People have been flopping on r and b for decades. Ghetto has always reigned in nigeria- the more indigenous or ghetto you sound, the bigger your sales.You are talking of 5 -10 years before your post till the time of your post. I am talking of decades before your post till the time of your post.

Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Chicertain(f): 6:22pm On Feb 09, 2017
OlaPhils:
after sarkodie who else, sarkodie himself can never do without Nigeriana, who listens to Ghanians songs? rubish, your song are well known to palmwine drinker, or bar, that s were Ghanians sonds are being played in Nigeria
Dream on.Nigerians have always liked fast paced rythmic music since the time of our forefathers.R and b my ass.Hip life my ass.We simply like enjoyable music and indigenous or ghetto sounding music will always outsell western sounding music.Hiplife started in the 90's but the foundation for what we do now was laid in the 80's by indigenous and ghetto sounding artistes. Get a life.
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Chicertain(f): 6:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
Why would Nigerians copy ghanaians when they have nothing to offer.Fast paced music has appealed toNigerians since our forefathers days.We can never care about ghanaian music R and b has never been big in nigeria. Nigerian r and b artistes have always been broke. They always had to switch to indigenous and ghetto music. No, we didn't copy you. We simply did what we have always done - make rythmoc music.Qe have always had tall drums and all sorts of instruments.Ghanaians are nothing to us in music.Why would a hot chic copy a homeless girl?
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nobody: 1:43am On Mar 08, 2017
torgbe:
i hope all these are 9ja companies abi?u could have said when bokoharam is busy bombing and politicians are seriously looting these people they vex.smh
wetin concern governmet, boko haram and azonto now. well I don't blame u, its our useless politicians I blame
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nobody: 2:19am On Mar 08, 2017
TriggerHappy:
Nigerians and their lack of thinking, anytime u hear da word GHANA most of u comes from ur caves like headless chickens. Ghanaians don't give a phuck about AZONTO u can take it. Ur country Nigeria is turning into a grave yard and instead of using Nairaland to benefit ur pit latrine country u instead create a thread to instigate hatred. Dumb people wit primitive thinking. grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin IF CLAIMING AZONTO AS A NIGERIAN DANCE WILL MAKE BOKO HARAM LAY THEIR ARMS AND WILL STOP YOUR POLITICIANS TO STOP LOOTING, THEN WE GHANAIANS WILL HAPPILY GIVE IT TO U CUZ WE PEACE LOVING PEOPLE. grin cheesy grin cheesy
who is talking abt country here maka chukwu. we are saying naija perfected azonto this one is calling boko haram and government looting!! chai na wa oo, becos he knows we are aabt azonto being popularized by naija, he is now using our problem against us. meeehnnn u are just pathetic, if e dey pain u go hug transformer
Re: Ghanaians Mad At Chris Brown For Calling Azonto A Nigerian Dance by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 17, 2017
World class music video directed & shot without spending money.
Lyrics was written in less than a week.
Track was recorded in about 1 hour.
Video was shot in a weekend.
Audio & Video NOT FOR SALE
LAWMA by @FUGEEBOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvup953L38

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why Falz’s Soldier Video Is The Best Video You’ll Watch This Year / Naira Marley To Shoot COVID-19 Musical Video / 2face's "The Ascension" Is Currently The 12th Top Selling Album In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.