Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries (11515 Views)

I Usually Helped Badeh Convert N558m From Staff Salaries To Dollars, Witness / Nduka Obaigbena Surrenders To EFCC For Questioning / Nduka Obaigbena Of Thisday Writes EFCC Over Funds He Received From Dasuki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by Slyr0x: 4:34pm On Apr 05, 2013
Flamboyant publisher of THISDAY, Nduka Obaigbena, has appealed to his workers to be patient over his inability to pay salaries, blaming the delays on last year’s Boko Haram attack on the Abuja premises of the newspaper.

Mr. Obaigbena has not paid the workers since the beginning of this year. But he promised to clear the backlog within a few weeks.

“The process has already started in Abuja and should end within the next 30 days when ALL arrears of salaries and entitlements would have been settled and we resume payments when due,” he said in a “Dear Colleague” letter to the unhappy staff.

His desperation to write the letter might not be unconnected with a plan by the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) to commence a protest in the premises of his paper next week over the unpaid salaries. Many of his employees were complaining about unpaid and late salaries long before the Boko Haram attack.

Mr. Obaigbena recently commenced a global TV station - Arise TV- in London with big broadcast stars on his payroll. The TV station has been severally linked to Nigeria's wealthy Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke as its major sponsor. Several of the broadcasters reportedly demanded three years pay in advance to forestall that fate that befell Mr. Obaigbena’s THISDAY journalists.

Given Mr. Obaigbena’s tendency to break promises made to his staff, it was unclear today if the NUJ will go ahead with the protest plan.

See text of the letter:

To: Staff of THISDAY
Dear Colleagues,
Following several enquiries, I write to notify you that we are working very hard to pay delayed salaries.
The process has already started in Abuja and should end within the next 30 days when ALL arrears of salaries and entitlements would have been settled and we resume payments when due.
As you are well aware, as a company, we had long put the issue of delayed salaries behind us and staff were being paid on time when we had the misfortune of a terrorist attack on our Abuja offices in April last year during which our buildings, million-Dollar printing and computer-to-plate equipments(sic( were gutted. And we sadly lost two lives – one of whom was our security official. Our insurance did not cover the losses as we were not insured for War Risk – no one planned for a terror attack in Nigeria and so we were left to fend for ourselves. Despite that, we continued to meet our commitments as due. But when the cost of outsourcing printing to third parties caught up with us, things began to slow. After paying over N600 million in unplanned costs to outside printers, we began to feel the pain from October last year when many of you began to experience some delays in salary payments. We could have cut costs by reducing staff, but given the circumstances we chose keep all staff until things got better. For many it is so easy to forget we had a terror attack and are losing monies everyday because of it. What we have decided to do is to sell non-core assets to pay off all debt and buy new printing and production equipments (sic)( for Abuja. That process is on.
I just thought in view of the current negativity, I should communicate directly with you all, to assure you that all will be well.

I thank you for your understanding and continuing loyalty to the company.

We Shall Overcome.
With continuing regards,
Nduka.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/thisday-publisher-nduka-obaigbena-blames-boko-haram-unpaid-staff-salaries
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by ypzilanti: 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2013
The guy was always late with staff salaries. ALWAYS. Had a friend that worked with him a decade ago.
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by Starlett: 9:34am On Apr 06, 2013
At least, Nduka was thoughtful enough to send a direct communication to his entire staff. But owing them since the start of the year? That's bad! So how did he spect them to celebrate Easter, pay school fees, etc? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by greaterlove(m): 9:44am On Apr 06, 2013
Nduka for your mind you know that is a big lie, no be today you dey owe salary and consultants their fee, dont blame it on boko haram, that is a silly excuse.
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by GraceBestowed(f): 1:04pm On Apr 06, 2013
LOL! Just wow! This, right here, makes me sick to my back teeth!!!

- Your cat is sick, and vomits all up in your new shoe, you blame BH/GEJ
- You burnt your pot of banga soup, it's automatically BH/GEJ's fault
- You rear-end another car, and BH/GEJ needs to sort it out, because it's their fault!

When will people stop playing the blame game? Did they not sell THISDAY papers!? How can people sleep well, knowing that they have not paid the people that work hard to maintain their hustle!?

This stupid 'norm' of receiving free labour has to stop; people have families to feed, lives to maintain, and dreams to accomplish! It's just not cool!

2 Likes

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by Jumong01(m): 1:04pm On Apr 06, 2013
What does that have to do with the issue of salary payment?
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by grimadult(m): 1:06pm On Apr 06, 2013
never knew boko guys ran the accounts office of this day!!!

1 Like

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by kkkp: 1:08pm On Apr 06, 2013
LET D BLAME GAME BEGIN grin grin grin grin
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by stevecantrell: 1:10pm On Apr 06, 2013
Maybe if he stopped paying for over-priced strippers...

2 Likes

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by obowunmi(m): 1:14pm On Apr 06, 2013
I attended a party in NYC with this guy two years ago, and the party was at the JW Marriott Essex House on central park south (very upscale and expensive.) I was flown in for this party due to my father's connections.... everything at the party was FREE, alcohol, food, beautiful women and models, also - R-KELLY was paid to attend.

Only FOOLS will work for this slave master. He gets money from the government to do these lavish things as a way to promote a positive image of Nigeria...They'd better resign, find another job and leave this man to his own fate.

3 Likes

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by obowunmi(m): 1:15pm On Apr 06, 2013
I attended a party in NYC with this guy two years ago, and the party was at the JW Marriott Essex House on central park south (very upscale and expensive.) I was flown in for this party due to my father's connections.... everything at the party was FREE, alcohol, food, beautiful women and models, also - R-KELLY was paid to attend.

Only FOOLS will work for this slave master. He gets money from the government to do these lavish things as a way to promote a positive image of Nigeria...They'd better resign, find another job and leave this man to his own fate

1 Like

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by macnwaobi: 1:15pm On Apr 06, 2013
Try and pay ur staffs cos there is dignity in labour.good luck
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by creekman(m): 1:16pm On Apr 06, 2013
Nduka thatz a cheap lie from you.You just gave they whole world the value of your Thisday company running into several billions of naira.Yet you are owing your staffs who toil day and night for you.You shld bury your head in shame.
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by OX59(m): 1:16pm On Apr 06, 2013
I wonder whay these nigerian publishers treat their staff as scum.A man who lives in presidential suites on his travels oughst to know that the geese that lay his eggs should be treated fairly.And to give a silly excuse as this only shows how low he rates them.For equality's sake,how can you not pay your staff for this long while the business is still up and running?
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by ginajet(f): 1:33pm On Apr 06, 2013
Boko haram don suffer for our hand
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by ginajet(f): 1:36pm On Apr 06, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]Headache dey worry me ooo!!!! Shey make I blame boko haram nii

2 Likes

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by yuzedo: 1:41pm On Apr 06, 2013
Fat fúck! His staff need to insist he put their salaries in a escrow account. How can a business owner be denying his workers their dues on such a stupid excuse?! STOP IMPORTING EXOTIC HOOKERS & CHAMPAGNE FOR YOUR PLEASURE NUQQA! angry And stop donating so heavily to PDP. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by rooney2525: 1:57pm On Apr 06, 2013
Slyr0x: Flamboyant publisher of THISDAY, Nduka Obaigbena, has appealed to his workers to be patient over his inability to pay salaries, blaming the delays on last year’s Boko Haram attack on the Abuja premises of the newspaper.

Mr. Obaigbena has not paid the workers since the beginning of this year. But he promised to clear the backlog within a few weeks.

“The process has already started in Abuja and should end within the next 30 days when ALL arrears of salaries and entitlements would have been settled and we resume payments when due,” he said in a “Dear Colleague” letter to the unhappy staff.

His desperation to write the letter might not be unconnected with a plan by the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) to commence a protest in the premises of his paper next week over the unpaid salaries. Many of his employees were complaining about unpaid and late salaries long before the Boko Haram attack.

Mr. Obaigbena recently commenced a global TV station - Arise TV- in London with big broadcast stars on his payroll. The TV station has been severally linked to Nigeria's wealthy Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke as its major sponsor. Several of the broadcasters reportedly demanded three years pay in advance to forestall that fate that befell Mr. Obaigbena’s THISDAY journalists.

Given Mr. Obaigbena’s tendency to break promises made to his staff, it was unclear today if the NUJ will go ahead with the protest plan.

See text of the letter:rubbish , what of our colleagues dat lost their lives in d struggle can u pay for deir lives.MR Saka Ibrahim died last week as result of depression and High Blood Pressure. All because he can not cater for his family and health problem all in d struggle for Thisday work.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/thisday-publisher-nduka-obaigbena-blames-boko-haram-unpaid-staff-salaries
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by CocoLoca(f): 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2013
obowunmi: I attended a party in NYC with this guy two years ago, and the party was at the JW Marriott Essex House on central park south (very upscale and expensive.) I was flown in for this party due to my father's connections.... everything at the party was FREE, alcohol, food, beautiful women and models, also - R-KELLY was paid to attend.
Sooooo telling us all these details adds to what final point? What's the motive? undecided
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by CocoLoca(f): 2:05pm On Apr 06, 2013
obowunmi: I attended a party in NYC with this guy two years ago, and the party was at the JW Marriott Essex House on central park south (very upscale and expensive.) I was flown in for this party due to my father's connections.... everything at the party was FREE, alcohol, food, beautiful women and models, also - R-KELLY was paid to attend.
Sooooo telling us all these details adds to what final point? What's the motive for divulging all these and how does it add up? undecided

1 Like

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by Afolabs101: 2:10pm On Apr 06, 2013
Typical "big man", ask him if he's still flying in his private jet. The maintenance of that thing can probably pay the salaries.

1 Like

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by aieromon(m): 2:14pm On Apr 06, 2013
Several of the broadcasters reportedly demanded three
years pay in advance to forestall that fate that befell Mr.
Obaigbena’s THISDAY journalists.

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by stagger: 2:48pm On Apr 06, 2013
CocoLoca:
Sooooo telling us all these details adds to what final point? What's the motive for divulging all these and how does it add up? undecided

He is telling you that if a man can afford to throw such a party at the detriment of the geese laying his golden eggs, he is a callous man and does not deserve mercy from his staff.

5 Likes

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by CocoLoca(f): 2:54pm On Apr 06, 2013
stagger:

He is telling you that if a man can afford to throw such a party at the detriment of the geese laying his golden eggs, he is a callous man and does not deserve mercy from his staff.

Funny, could have sworn he was trying to tell us how much of a high flyer and son of a big man he is.

1 Like

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by Ayatullah(m): 3:02pm On Apr 06, 2013
Nduka obaigbena is just a selfish and greedy fellow, his bulging stomach is a testimony to his greed. God save him I am not on his payroll I could have taught him a lesson tougher than the one he got from 'Boko Haram'. Shame on the bloody hypocrite.
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by doctokwus: 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2013
ThisDay is not evn profitable as a newspaper.Its having d same problem I guess AIT is having:dey both depend on govt patronage& once dey encounter any manmade or natural calamity,dey run into trouble because no mony cud av bn saved frm a non self-sustaining venture,d govt patronage is just to kp d media organ affloat,pay salaries& serve as a front for whatever other venture d proprietor is into.Salaries wud only b offset if Nduka can convince those in govt to giv him one venture dat can bring in quick funds,or evn having his staff salaries paid off,indirectly of course.

1 Like

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by ochukoccna: 3:24pm On Apr 06, 2013
Typical way of running Nigerian businesses
Wickedness is all this points to
Despite THISDAY's numerous propaganda hatchet jobs for PDP
Monkey dey work and pray to God
Baboon dey chop and groove with pastor cheesy cheesy
Why a law to stop this common exploitative practice is yet to be enacted beats me hollow?
Same thing happened to me 5years back and had to forfeit 2 months salary
For me,it was a simple decision to resign,how will I borrow money to fulfill my job obligations when my salary is supposed to do that
Some former colleagues who decided to ride out with my then boss forfeited 6 months
Pathetic! undecided
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by creativemusic: 3:26pm On Apr 06, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by ckkris: 3:32pm On Apr 06, 2013
CocoLoca:
It means that he is one of the illegitimate sons of a man that stole Nigeria's money in billions of dollars. They're many of them. No need to write their names. One died inside Aso Rock. Another woman did only six months for billions stolen, while her son is gallivanting in South Africa.

1 Like

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by Gbenge77(m): 3:52pm On Apr 06, 2013
This guy allegedly paid one million dollars to have peep at Beyonces chest,but perpetually defaults on salaries?
Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by john650(m): 4:19pm On Apr 06, 2013
I saw this coming. Back in January or was it February when he launched the arise.tv news site, I remember having a conversation with a friend. I told him that I thought that Nduka Obaigbena was over stretching himself. My thinking at the time was why can't he start locally? He already has a recognized brand in the Nigerian market and the TV project would have been an extension of this brand. If you grow organically and people like what they see and hear, they will come for more. Nollywood didn't grow by making movies overseas. They made movies for the home grown market and today people in other countries watch Nollywood movies.

My take is that he diverted funds meant for Thisday to get his global TV project off the ground. Unfortunately, it may end up being his Achilles heel. If the public senses trouble, they may stop buying his newspapers and that would be the death knell of his media empire. This is like the proverbial "killing the goose that lays the golden egg." He neglected his primary source of income (Thisday and his employees) because he felt he could get away with it. For one, he knew his his cronies in government won't do anything. What he forgot is that without Thisday, there will be no "Arise" and the other dreams.

3 Likes

Re: Nduka Obaigbena, Blames Boko-Haram For Unpaid Staff Salaries by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 06, 2013
so this foreign secret service agent doesnt pay his workers too. there is no difference between him and other indigenous oil service companies. its inherent in nigerian business men not to pay workers. i tire for naija greed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Assault: Benin Monarch Curses Task Force Chief! / Nnamdi Kanu Of Radio Biafra Storms U.S Ahead Of Buhari's Visit / Latest List Of Oil Producing States By Barrels Produced Perday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.