Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Nigerian Governors! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Governors! (1008 Views)

Nigerian Governors At Presidential Inauguration In Niger Republic (pix) / Assessment Of Some Nigerian Governors In The Year 2015 - Moses Ochonu / Nigerian Governors Meet In Abuja (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 6:35pm On Apr 03, 2008
i have seen a marked improvement in some state governors and their policies,from fashola in lagos state and all his laudable achievements to rotimi amaechi and his achievements in rivers,while some governors have been attracting ctiticisms,pls share your views on all our nigerian governors and score them by their perfomances and projects they have undertaken and the chances of them getting a second term
Re: Nigerian Governors! by almondjoy(f): 4:10pm On Apr 05, 2008
We don hear!
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 4:12pm On Apr 05, 2008
sorry o na fight
Re: Nigerian Governors! by almondjoy(f): 4:19pm On Apr 05, 2008
You see fight for here? The place whey I for fight you, I no fight you. E come be for this thread? Anything bothering your conscience?

Tomorrow na sunday abeg! kiss Go confess for thia!
Re: Nigerian Governors! by oldie(m): 5:36pm On Apr 05, 2008
There is still so much inherent corruption in the system
The governors are now better educated and understand the problems better
Hopefully things will improve
Re: Nigerian Governors! by buchio7(m): 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2008
yes there is some improvement here and there in the acions of some governors which is very commendable. For one fashola has impressed me though the task ahead is quite daunting owing to the complex nature of lagos but he has shown that from the first day he understands the enormity of the role he is occupying as governor.

i believe that we need more of such people with clear cut vision of what they want for there states and how to achieve it rather than propaganda mongerers who dont have a shred of idea of why they even contested in the first place other than to pilfer treasuries
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 12:40am On Apr 06, 2008
almondjoy:

You see fight for here? The place whey I for fight you, I no fight you. E come be for this thread? Anything bothering your conscience?

Tomorrow na sunday abeg! kiss Go confess for thia!

no be anything personal,i onli correct an impression u get no be fight at all, myhands are clean,
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 12:43am On Apr 06, 2008
so which governor do you all think has scored the highest mark so far or score them by mentioning the first five as i only know of fashola and amaechi
Re: Nigerian Governors! by DisGuy: 12:46am On Apr 06, 2008
rotimi amaechi and his achievements in rivers

like?
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 1:13am On Apr 06, 2008
Dis Guy:

like?

well,theres the brt thing in lagos,the roads and other programmes fshola is embarking on same as rotimi amaechi,i dont live in naij so its kinda difficult to catalogue their achievements but the post is for u to name the governors u think are trying or not trying as that is my own opinion
Re: Nigerian Governors! by Lady2(f): 3:37am On Apr 06, 2008
I like this thread. I would like to know too as I also don't reside in Naija currently, but will be returning in a couple of years.
I want the truth o, not your hatred towards the government, thanks. So please only sensible ppl need reply, ese gon.
Re: Nigerian Governors! by TheSly: 4:06am On Apr 06, 2008
not your hatred towards the government,
Then this thread will not go pass just a page!

in 35 governors . . .34 are corrupt . . .lets face the truth. . . dont be deceived by all that yada yada.
Re: Nigerian Governors! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:24am On Apr 06, 2008
who is the 1 lone survivor, Nigeria will not change untill we the people change it. The governors are Nigerian are they not, put some Nigerians in power and they would be just as corrupt. We need to rid it of our social system, bribery is common in all facets of business in Nigeria, sad but tru sad
Re: Nigerian Governors! by DisGuy: 4:32am On Apr 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

well,theres the brt thing in lagos,the roads and other programmes fshola is embarking on same as rotimi amaechi,i don't live in naij so its kind of difficult to catalogue their achievements but the post is for u to name the governors u think are trying or not trying as that is my own opinion

I am asking about Rotimi's achievement

Fashola
Gbenga
Saraki

don't know much about the rest to be honest the main Nigerian newspapers focus on Lagos and Abuja too much
Re: Nigerian Governors! by TheSly: 4:39am On Apr 06, 2008
JosBoy4Lif

put some Nigerians in power and they would be just as corrupt

Not all are corrupt, most of them are and at the same time. . . .most of them have got no choice!!. . .
Even if u are a kind-hearted Nigerian and you were elected as a Governor. . .your ''God Fathers'' . . .
Would never allow you to do whats on your (mind,what is right to do). . , . . . . . . . . . . .

Imagine the governor of OYO STATE. . . .who claimed that he renovated mapo hall with a wooping 250mill naira!!
And what did he do. . . .just bought some cheap paints and then a new window. . . . that was where 250mill went to. . .
No one questioned him because he's got a tough and a very strong ''accomplice/God-father'' that is backing him. . .
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 5:31am On Apr 06, 2008
Dis Guy:

I am asking about Rotimi's achievement

Fashola
Gbenga
Saraki

don't know much about the rest to be honest the main Nigerian newspapers focus on Lagos and Abuja too much

well i have to be honest that i only go by what i see on ait, and the past few weeks the guy has been showcasing a stakeholders forum where he publicly declared what he used the monies for and the location and everything.
why are people criticising saraki and gbenga daniel then ,is it just politics?
®~^Sly^~®:

in 35 governors . . .34 are corrupt . . .lets face the truth. . . don't be deceived by all that yada yada.

how did you come about your assesment?the fact that majority of them are corrupt doesnt mean that some have not done positive things, i just thought the few positive stuffs and negatives should be highlighted, if we wanted to castigate every corrupt person then even the house of reps from the leadership down are involved

~Lady~:

I like this thread. I would like to know too as I also don't reside in Naija currently, but will be returning in a couple of years.
I want the truth o, not your hatred towards the government, thanks. So please only sensible people need reply, ese gon.

thanks and im in the same situation as well,the lagos state governor has got so many things done but im realli excited about his plans to turn lagos state into a megacity and also the free trade zone on the island, he is also making moves about the bar beach and has just commissioned the lekki expressway
Re: Nigerian Governors! by SkyBlue1: 12:31pm On Apr 06, 2008
I am genuinely interested to know what Amaechi has achieved? What are his so called laudable achievements, holding meetings? If it is holding meetings or forums or committees that make good governance then i am sure that all governors and the president, in fact everyone will pass with flying colours. Governors and commisioners, and house of rep members etc, hold meetings all the time, they hold meetings to discuss how to share money meant for development among themselves.
Re: Nigerian Governors! by Lady2(f): 2:42pm On Apr 06, 2008

I feared that.

in 35 governors . . .34 are corrupt . . .lets face the truth. . . don't be deceived by all that yada yada.

Do you have a backing for this or are you just going about it because of hatred and animosity towards the government?

Fashola
Gbenga
Saraki

Positive or negative. Please explain your reasons. Show (give examples) what they've done to be labeled good or bad, not just insinuations, please. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Governors! by ifyalways(f): 11:55am On Apr 07, 2008
No replies yet
Re: Nigerian Governors! by somze(f): 12:52pm On Apr 07, 2008
What has Ameachi done please?
Re: Nigerian Governors! by 4Play(m): 1:06pm On Apr 07, 2008
somze:

What has Ameachi done please?

Didn't you see where he mentioned holding "stakeholder forums" shown on AIT? grin The guy talks like a naif.
Re: Nigerian Governors! by somze(f): 1:27pm On Apr 07, 2008
Wow! what an achievement! na wa grin

Seun should be the Nigerian President then. grin
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 3:13pm On Apr 07, 2008
4 Play:

Didn't you see where he mentioned holding "stakeholder forums" shown on AIT? grin The guy talks like a naif.

dude im sure you r educated,if i said his achievements was holding stakeholders meeting on ait,does it mean he was on tv shouting stakeholders stakeholders or dancing makosa or yahoozeee for the stakeholders??stakeholders in a state are not fools and there are bound to be some who will have divergent views and so for him to have the whole of stakeholders in his state come together in a public forum shown on live tv to render his stewardship means he has something to say, while he was talking in one of the programmes there were people that argued with him,some disagreed and some said their mind out and he answered questions they asked when he threw the floor open for questions, i dont live in his office or living room so i only go by what is shown on tv,lets stop being pessimistic and acknowledge them if they have done any positive,we all know they are corrupt but knocking everything they do and saying they can never do good is not the way foward,pls lets face the post,which of the governors will you score high?thats my views and you are free to agree or disagree or post yours not sniggering at mine
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 1:35pm On Apr 13, 2008
For some, four-year tenure is never enough to make significant impact. Not so for the tirelessly hardworking governor of Lagos, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola. After just 300 days in office, his footprints are already glaring enough for all to see in nearly every vital sector of the state. No sooner was he inaugurated than he set out fulfilling electoral promises, touching lives where it matters most.
A cursory look at the many achievements of the pragmatic governor speaks volume of his determination to leave a lasting legacy, one that generations yet unborn would be proud of. Mindful of the pivotal contributions of good road network to the socio-economic activities in the state, Governor Fashola has aggressively embarked on road constructions and upgrading of existing infrastructures to stimulate economic growth and ensure speedy delivery of utility as obtained in modern mega cities. In line with this, the administration has begun phased rehabilitation/reconstruction and improvement of 100 strategic roads spread across the state to enhance commercial and economic activities. For example, the dualisation and improvement of the 18km Isheri-Olofin-Iba-LASU road is at 80% of completion to ease traffic on the Badagry expressway.

For some times, the fourth mainland bridge has been in the pipeline. To achieve this important proposal designed to redistribute population and create new growth poles in the Ikorodu division, the Ajah-Badore road has reached 80% of completion. The first public-private-partnership road infrastructure project in sub-Saharan Africa, the Lekki-Epe Expressway was completed and ready for use in March 2008 along the two km stretch of the Ozumba Mbadiwe waterfront.

In Alimosho area of the state, 13 major roads are at different stages of construction. In Surulere, 15 major roads are being upgraded while 21 roads in Eti-Osa/Lekki axis have been designated for constructions. The Abule-Egba-Ekoro-Meiran road as well as Karimu Laka-Bamishile collector drains has been completed in Alimosho. Construction of Adetokunbo Ademola street Extension in Victoria Island has been completed to improve traffic connectivity and complement the Lekki-Epe Expressway. In Badagry, the transformation of the Expressway to a 10-lane international highway complete with pedestrian walkways, Bus Rapid Transit(BRT) routes, light rail, tracks, pipe ducts and drainage channels have been awarded for take-off soonest.

Still on efforts to ensure smooth public transportation and traffic management, the state government has rolled out 100 high capacity ‘Blue Buses’ and ‘Red Buses’ of the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority(LAMATA) to officially kick-start the much-awaited Bus Rapid Transit, which is the first in Black Africa. Two jetties have been constructed at Agboyi and Ijegun Egba for water transportation. As a permanent problem to the perennial problem of trucks and oil tankers on the Apapa/Ijora Axis, the first phase of the 500 capacity Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Truck Terminal, Orile Iganmu was commissioned. Also, the state has identified 25 traffic gridlock spots for commencement of infrastructural re-enginnering to enable them cope more effectively with heavy traffic.

To ensure steady water supply, the Lagos water Corporation has been empowered to construct a 12.5MW independent power plant at Akute. When fully functionally, the facility is expected to increase public water supply. Five micro-water works, including the 4.4 million litre Ijora-Badia facility, have been completed while water network expansion has been undertaken at Iwaya, Ojo, Ijora-Badia, Oworonsoki, Otto-Awori and Igando. Despite receiving less than 40% of its electricity effective demand from Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), the Fashola-led executives have determined to ensure improved power supply. To achieve this, the use of solar power and other renewable energy to power has been initiated in 10 rural communities through the execution of the N150 million solar Electrification Scheme, known to be the most ambitious alternative energy initiative in Nigeria till date.

Also the improvement of electricity distribution network through the injection of N127 million on rural electrification in 48 locations across the state is on-going. 15 major roads statewide have been provided with street lightings to illuminate 56 high streets while the state has also taken a active role in stimulating private sector investment in the Lagos Energy City project in Badagry, which is a N180 billion integrated oil and gas facility expected to make Lagos state the energy hub of Africa. The project will also generate 2,000 jobs and 130mw of power and create other opportunities for the people of Badagry was undertaken.

On poverty alleviation, the state has established a N5 billion Eko Micro-finance scheme as a revolving credit delivery initiative to empower skilled persons and small/micro entrepreneurs. Also over 4,500 students are on monthly stipends of N10, 000 to cushion family burdens and facilitate enterprises. Over another 2,000 youths were trained in ‘Face cap and T Shirt’ design, computer maintenance, cloth weaving design, metal fabrication, etcetera as part. Plans are also underway to significantly expand the vacation jobs scheme from the next holiday season.

In the health sector, the government has increased bed capacity for LASUTH from 520 to 750 with the completion and commissioning of the BT Health and Diagnostic centre. This is aside completion and commissioning of 144 beds at the Bola Tinubu ward complex of LASUTH. Over five million people have benefited from the Eko Free Malaria Treatment as well as distribution of free 500,700 insecticides treated nets and administration of 526,320 doses of free malaria drugs. 1,067 victims of breast cancer were successfully screened just as 96,927 people were equally screened free of charge for hypertension. 7,172 people enjoyed the prompt rescue of the Lagos State Ambulance services (LASAMBUS) aside employment of 748 new medical personnel to enhance efficient public health delivery.

Despite these laudable efforts and more, Fashola said "the journey has just begun". In a keynote address he delivered on the occasion of his 300 days in office, he stressed, "we will not rest on our oars as we have promised our citizenry a better, rewarding future".

With this magnitude of projects already in place in just 300 days of administration, and sustained determination of the governor on projects delivery, there is no doubt the commercial nerve of the nation is in for a major transformation in all facets.
Re: Nigerian Governors! by Cadet(f): 2:04pm On Apr 13, 2008
Same story over and over again. Until the truth comes out
Re: Nigerian Governors! by Lady2(f): 4:37am On Apr 14, 2008

Same story over and over again. Until the truth comes out

What is the truth? Is it negative? Why must it be negative?
Re: Nigerian Governors! by Kobojunkie: 5:29am On Apr 14, 2008
STAKEHOLDERS MEETING ON AIT as achievement?? NA WA OOO!!!
Re: Nigerian Governors! by DisGuy: 6:36am On Apr 14, 2008
lucabrasi:

dude im sure you r educated,if i said his achievements was holding stakeholders meeting on ait,does it mean he was on tv shouting stakeholders stakeholders or dancing makosa or yahoozeee for the stakeholders??stakeholders in a state are not fools and there are bound to be some who will have divergent views and so for him to have the whole of stakeholders in his state come together in a public forum shown on live tv to render his stewardship means he has something to say, while he was talking in one of the programmes there were people that argued with him,some disagreed and some said their mind out and he answered questions they asked when he threw the floor open for questions, i don't live in his office or living room so i only go by what is shown on tv,lets stop being pessimistic and acknowledge them if they have done any positive,we all know they are corrupt but knocking everything they do and saying they can never do good is not the way foward,please lets face the post,which of the governors will you score high?thats my views and you are free to agree or disagree or post yours not sniggering at mine

iwatched the same 'stakeholders forum' for about 30seconds as well it was painful

If you think yaradua has no clue then listen to Amaechi shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 4:19pm On Apr 14, 2008
~Lady~:

What is the truth? Is it negative? Why must it be negative?

i tire o,the problem is that we nigerians have programmed our minds that every single politician does every single thing wrong and do not have anything positive to offer, even in the face of some achievements which are visually verifiable
Re: Nigerian Governors! by DisGuy: 8:02pm On Apr 14, 2008
amaechi is not doing anything verifiable in PH, where is otoks the PH guy grin

I have listed those I think and know they are actually doing things, the way they are doing things or perceived as individuals doesn't matter but they are actually getting results

Amaechi seems to be leaving the security matter of the state to the FG, same way orji kalu said he is not responsible for the waste dump in his own state lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Governors! by lucabrasi(m): 9:08pm On Apr 14, 2008
aside saraki and fashola,what other governors are performing, i cant imagine the other states are not performing at all surely
Re: Nigerian Governors! by komekn(m): 9:14pm On Apr 16, 2008
I’ve looked at a lot of the comments and even sometimes constructive criticism. However, I am at loss, how are we quantifying a successful governor, the intention, the actual programme delivery and or the cost of that delivery. Is cost commensurate with outcome, most improbable.

It’s like saying power holding are delivering because you had electricity for three days after investing billions of $. The reality is that we have no expectation consequently when we get crumbs we start to declare the year of jubilee.
We expect our governors to be thieves , liars, murderers , election riggers etc, etc, such that when they do fraction of what they were supposed to do in the first place we say, Ah that governor deh perform Oh !!! Meanwhile they’ve carted off the larger % of our money, public money into European bank accounts and bought for themselves fat cars and houses. ( & some even bombardier private jets)

The general consensus for example is that Duke performed and was the best governor. I wonder if that view still holds in light of current and continuous revelations, or is the view that, Ah na only small he chop now, he still do the work.

The vehicle to get into power was and still is intrinsically corrupt you can’t get on a dirty bus without being stained.

This discourse is not to say that improvements are not being made, I just expect a lot more, to some Fashola is doing incredibly well, by what comparison? by what cost audit? To me he’s simply doing what he was elected to do, time will tell if he didn’t fill his pockets in the process. Compared to a buffoon a fool can often look intelligent. cry

(1) (Reply)

Yar’adua: Nigeria Doesn’t Recognise Mugabe’s Election / Again, Yar’adua Wants ‘blood Diamond’ Concept For Stolen Oil / 1600 People To Loose Their Job Daily In The Uk In 2009 - Are You Scared?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.