Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,586 members, 7,820,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested (61080 Views)

2 Nigerians Arrested Over Ice Imported In Fridges And Jackie Chan-branded DVDs / Two Isis-bound Nigerians Arrested In India / 25 Nigerians Arrested In Spain For ‘Sex Trafficking’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by venorite(m): 6:29pm On Apr 05, 2013
Credit card fraudsters purchased fake identities for computer hackers, Hudson County prosecutor says

Some 32 people, including a Hudson County jail nurse, have been arrested in a multimillion, multi-state identity theft and credit card fraud ring.

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office first got involved in the investigation in the early fall of 2012, when they received numerous complaints from victims as far away as California claiming that credit cards in their name made fraudulent retail purchases in Hudson County, officials said today.

Using store video and physical surveillance, the detectives were able to identify several suspects, authorities state. Detectives then linked those suspects to hundreds of other accounts and millions of dollars in phony transactions.

The leaders of the group, authorities say, purchased the identities of unsuspecting victims from online brokers, who got the information from computer hackers across the United States.

In a process known as "punching," electronic account information from the cards' magnetic strips would be transferred onto counterfeit cards, which were provided to "strikers" who conducted the purchases at retailers all over the Eastern Seaboard, authorities say.

Teams of strikers purchased retail gift cards that were then used to purchase various electronic items, authorities say. Those items were then sold in bulk to fences in New York and New Jersey, authorities say. The fence would then sell the items to other people for cash payments.

The investigation has identified nearly 1,000 victims across the country and millions of dollars in phony transactions, authorities say.

Authorities say the suspects spent the proceeds on luxury cars, high-end jewelry and other lavish expenses. Some of the money was additionally sent to accounts in Nigeria, authorities say.

Acting Hudson County Prosecutor Guy Gregory commended a long list of agencies that were involved in the take down, saying, "The operation could not have succeeded without their assistance."

Defendants charged with money laundering, theft by deception, wrongful impersonation and conspiracy include: Bolaji Ola, 30, of Sayreville; Olamide Otti, 27, of Queens; Akintunde Adeyemi, 28, of East Orange; David Brown, 27, of Parlin; Adegbola Adedeji, 31, of Parlin; Oluwaseun Jato, 23, of Hillside; Oluwasola Diji, 31, of Westbury, NY; Oladapo Araromi, 26, of Elizabeth; and Bertrand Ahaneku, 25, of South Orange.

Those charged with theft by deception, wrongful impersonation, and conspiracy include: Oluwaseun Adekoya, 25, of Sewaren; Henry Abdul, 25, of Union; Babatunde Oyefeso, 27, Union; Michael Assih, 24, of East Orange; John Orubo, 32, of Brooklyn; Idris Soyemi, 25, of Brooklyn; Imrahim Akaba, 23, of Piscataway; Vladimir Francois, 27, of Newark; Yves Desir, 29, of Irvington; Aglaide Alzuphar, 23, of Newark; Kossi Klutse, 25, of Newark; Evon Morris, 23, of East Orange; Fontessa Foreman, 27, of Newark; Olutoye Babatunde, 22, of Plainfield; Olukayode Adeosun, 30, of Newark; Gologo Benshaw, 25, of Newark; Olushola Ayeni, 31, of Brooklyn; Orwells Oyakhire, 24, of Maplewood.

Oladayo Araromi, 26, of Linden and Olujimi Williams, 24 of Hillside were charged with conspiracy. Matthew Sabo, 29, of Sayreville and Vijay Shah, 24, of Springfield, are charged with fencing, conspiracy, and receiving stolen property.

Oladayo Araromi, a nurse at Hudson County jail making $79,298, has been suspended without pay, Hudson County spokesman Jim Kennelly said today.

Of the 32 arrested, 24 appeared in Central Judicial Processing court this afternoon. Bail was set for those who appeared by Hudson County Superior Court Judge Joseph Isabella prior to their court appearance.

More arrests are expected, said Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gene Rubino.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2013/04/31_arrested_in_multi-million_d.html

Nigerians o, choi! 32 people, including 22 Nigerians have been arrested in a multimillion, multi-state identity theft and credit card fraud ring. See the report from www.nj.com below...
The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office first got involved in the investigation in the early fall of 2012, when they received numerous complaints from victims as far away as California claiming that credit cards in their name made fraudulent retail purchases in Hudson County, officials said yesterday.
Using store video and physical surveillance, the detectives were able to identify several suspects, authorities state. Detectives then linked those suspects to hundreds of other accounts and millions of dollars in phony transactions.

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
[size=18pt]Why hasn't this made it to front page.
22 Nigerians in one fell swoop
Hasn't Mukinatu,OAM4J and Seun seen this worthy news item?[/size]

10 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by akpomeme(m): 6:53pm On Apr 05, 2013
Yoruba!!!! If na igbo people dem catch now, una for don comment tire. This is pathetic..

93 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by wesley80(m): 6:55pm On Apr 05, 2013
Omo Yoruba le emi oh swagger! Where's Dayoponmo?

7 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by 5alive(m): 6:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
mods be at alert....
Bigots will soon invade dis thread

4 .........................................i wil get ther som day

1 Like

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
Smh@@hudson county

Get these corrupt Nigerians out of My Area Please

3 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by ajbest(f): 6:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
Nawaoh, maga don hook 4throat!
serves dem rit.

1 Like

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
This is going to take a funny twist....#patientlywaiting
Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by TeenageMoney(m): 7:00pm On Apr 05, 2013
5alive: mods be at alert....

Na Guilty conscience dey worry u...

21 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
Bunch of Thugs...and Con Artist

I Sure see a lot of Yoruba Names Up There....

Let me call the wifey, and tell her to make sure she doesn't hand her credit card to any suspicious Looking Nigerian Brothas Who might be on the Lurk

13 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Deiok(m): 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
oboy see the way our omo naija people dey show themselves that way. Naija i hail thee.

1 Like

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by ebamma(m): 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
I saw one oluwaseun among them i hope say no be our oga at the top be dat oh?

27 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by akpomeme(m): 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
liberty300: This is going to take a funny twist....#patientlywaiting
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Yoruba boyz come out and defend your borthers... Creditcard fruadsters trained by Jagaban

9 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Kslib(m): 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2013
Chineke meeeh ooohhhhh!!!! No be 1,no be 2 but 22 inside 32,chai,Naija i dey hail oooohh...
As far as i'm concerned,those people caught ain't Nigerians cos if to say na better thing,them go begin claim say na only dis tribe do am but the sad thing be say "foreigners no care weda na dis tribe or dat" all wetin dem know be say na NAIJA...
Two things must happen on this thread..
1.. Hidden posts go many dieeeeeeee..
2.. This kain thread dey pass page 7..

4 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by oche419: 7:02pm On Apr 05, 2013
Na wah o! Naija I hail o. I will remain here and hussle than to travel out and become a criminal. Post their pics let their families and friends see them. Thieves!

2 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 05, 2013
Where are Those foo-ls Dayokanu, Bluetooth, Eko, Ileke Idi, and co . come and see you brothers and sisters names

Defendants charged with money laundering, theft by deception, wrongful impersonation and conspiracy include: Bolaji Ola, 30, of Sayreville; Olamide Otti, 27, of Queens; Akintunde Adeyemi, 28, of East Orange; David Brown, 27, of Parlin; Adegbola Adedeji, 31, of Parlin; Oluwaseun Jato, 23, of Hillside; Oluwasola Diji, 31, of Westbury, NY; Oladapo Araromi, 26, of Elizabeth; and Bertrand Ahaneku, 25, of South Orange.

Those charged with theft by deception, wrongful impersonation, and conspiracy include: Oluwaseun Adekoya, 25, of Sewaren; Henry Abdul, 25, of Union; Babatunde Oyefeso, 27, Union; Michael Assih, 24, of East Orange; John Orubo, 32, of Brooklyn; Idris Soyemi, 25, of Brooklyn; Imrahim Akaba, 23, of Piscataway; Vladimir Francois, 27, of Newark; Yves Desir, 29, of Irvington; Aglaide Alzuphar, 23, of Newark; Kossi Klutse, 25, of Newark; Evon Morris, 23, of East Orange; Fontessa Foreman, 27, of Newark; Olutoye Babatunde, 22, of Plainfield; Olukayode Adeosun, 30, of Newark; Gologo Benshaw, 25, of Newark; Olushola Ayeni, 31, of Brooklyn; Orwells Oyakhire, 24, of Maplewood.

Oladayo Araromi, 26, of Linden and Olujimi Williams, 24 of Hillside were charged with conspiracy. Matthew Sabo, 29, of Sayreville and Vijay Shah, 24, of Springfield, are charged with fencing, conspiracy, and receiving stolen property.

Oladayo Araromi, a nurse at Hudson County jail making $79,298, has been suspended without pay, Hudson County spokesman Jim Kennelly said today.

13 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by sheedy407(m): 7:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
I neva see EDO STATE name steal bfor or fraud.we are just the best in Nigeria

13 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
Look at my man in the Back, with the disturbing hairline, holding his neck

You know he's up to no Good.

Excuse me but can you Yoruba Women Keep These Thugs out my State Please?

God Bless America.
Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
Bertrand Ahaneku

Chineke baara ekwensu mba

[size=18pt]What is this person doing in a den of thieves?
Abomination!![/size]

5 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by free2ryhme: 7:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
No wonder it is hard to get American visa. Disgrace

7 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by RedLight1: 7:06pm On Apr 05, 2013
the source of this news nawa
Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Biggyd2: 7:06pm On Apr 05, 2013
If they did the crime, they should do the time. I am sure they will be happier in the prisons there. Enjoy guys. smiley
Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by ogaibe1(m): 7:06pm On Apr 05, 2013
You can do fraud in nigeria and get away with it because the technology is still developing but in america here you have to be careful because they will spend money to hunt you down. Nigerians havent learned, this is the reason why people are very suspicious of nigerians here in america and europe and can you blame them?
Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 05, 2013
You folks should face it
Nigerians have shamed Nigeria at many levels
It is sad
And we all suffer for it directly and indirectly

20 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by mickyarams: 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
Stupid greedy idiots destroying our country's name everywhere.

6 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by free2ryhme: 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
5alive: mods be at alert....

4 .........................................i wil get ther som day

u deserve an e-slap for dis angry

3 Likes

Re: Credit-Card Fraud: 32 People With Nigerians Arrested by DisGuy: 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
some people have been missing from nairaland lately grin

hmm greedy nurse

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Lady Pours Acid On Her Ex-Boyfriend In Akwa Ibom For Dumping Her (Pics) / I Did Not Kill My Husband'' - Chuks Okebata's Wife Finally Speaks / Uncle Kills Seven-year-old Twins For Rituals In Delta, Flees (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.