Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Zimbabwe Has Roads? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Zimbabwe Has Roads? (3720 Views)

Zimbabwe’s Mugabe Shouts “we Are Not Gays!” During U.N. Speech / Shocking Video – Zimbabwe Pastor Caught Bonking Church Member' Wife [video] / Zimbabwe's Mr. Ugly 2012 Reclaims Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Blatant: 12:10pm On Apr 04, 2008
I was amazed to see clips of Zimbabwe in the last couple of days showing decent roads and vehicular transportation with people buying newspapers etc.

The pictures that the western media had hitherto presented to us of Zimbabwe had always been pictures of some dingy, dreary huts showing very old women who are always potrayed as hungry and suffering. The impression has always been projected of Zimbabweans all hungry looking and haggard. What I saw on TV yesterday is contrary to what I have seen for the last 7 years or thereabouts when the media has tried to let me know that Mugabe is evil.

The streets which were shown just reminded me of Alagomeji in Lagos when I was growing up.

Why did the media decide not to show realistics pictures/movies of Zimbabwe till they realised that the end is near for Mugabe?
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by 4Play(m): 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2008
The TV station you saw the roads in,was it part of the "Eastern media"? Anybody who has been watching news stories about Zimbabwe over the years on TV must have seen many such beautiful places.I know that because I have seen them a lot while watching the BBC.

I find it ludicrous that you could have been watching all these stories on Zimbabwe on TV and never noticed till now.

However,almost all these places were like this during the "apartheid" regime of Ian Smith.Its like coming in 10 years time to tell us that it is because of the ANC that South Africa has beautiful structures.

How do the good roads you saw affect the main issue-that Mugabe's attempts to hold on to power has led to hunger and deprivation in what was one of Africa's most prosperous nations.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by redsun(m): 1:46pm On Apr 04, 2008
The media is part of the game,western propaganda all in the interest of displaced white farmers whose ancestors brutally acquired almost 99 percent of zimbabwe fertile land in the name of colonization and conquest.

Mugabe is one the best leaders in africa presently,he tried the impossible by making the vultures pay for their deeds.On gaining independence,british goverment agreed to compesate the people for their land,but till present no money has been given in respect of that.

The puppets oppositions are just going to reverse the whole thing and put the people back on reverse again,people got to pay a price for a fundamental change that will uphold for generations to come,the price of dealing with difficulties that come with embargoes,and the price of learning to be the master rather than servants in their own country.

All the country need is somebody to carry on with the emancipation when mugabe is gone,give him another five years in as much as he is still going strong,i bet he still have some great sex at his age.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Jids(m): 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2008
redsun:

The media is part of the game,western propaganda all in the interest of displaced white farmers whose ancestors brutally acquired almost 99 percent of Zimbabwe fertile land in the name of colonization and conquest.

Mugabe is one the best leaders in Africa presently,he tried the impossible by making the vultures pay for their deeds.On gaining independence,British goverment agreed to compesate the people for their land,but till present no money has been given in respect of that.

The puppets oppositions are just going to reverse the whole thing and put the people back on reverse again,people got to pay a price for a fundamental change that will uphold for generations to come,the price of dealing with difficulties that come with embargoes,and the price of learning to be the master rather than servants in their own country.

All the country need is somebody to carry on with the emancipation when mugabe is gone,give him another five years in as much as he is still going strong,i bet he still have some great sex at his age.

You will need to look back and judge for yourself the economy of this country compare to the state it is now.

I reject that old SELFISH fool is far to be among the best president of Africa. Can you please tell me what he has/done to put him in line with great African leader.

Grow up and think straight. a loaf of bread cost more that 10,000,000 Zimbabwean currency and this is great leader?,

He took the Land back, what has he done with them?, has he continue farming on them?NO,

REST MY CASE
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Blatant: 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2008
redsun:

On gaining independence,british goverment agreed to compesate the people for their land,but till present no money has been given in respect of that.

This is the crux of the matter in Zimbabwe but a lot of people do not understand that there is more than what the media potrays to them or what the media would have them know.

I cannot judge on whether or not Mugabe did right but I know that his methods are rather crude. However, I know that Britain is indirectly responsible for the present predicament in Zimbabwe

Mugabe should have known that Britain has so much influence that they will pull the plugs on him if he should try to become independent minded. The whole nation is paying the price for that.

There are many leaders in Africa who are puppets to western governments hence they are not considered evil like Mugabe. The day that any of them turns their backs on the west for any reason, it wont be long till their nationals start suffering and their regimes get pulled down for being bad.

Until such a time that Africans decide to start consuming what they produce, we will remain under bondage to the western imperialists
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Blatant: 2:09pm On Apr 04, 2008
Jids:

Grow up and think straight. a loaf of bread cost more that 10,000,000 Zimbabwean currency and this is great leader?,

He took the Land back, what has he done with them?, has he continue farming on them?NO,
REST MY CASE

What is paramount should not be the cost of a loaf of bread but the affordability of it.

Mugabe did not display good judgement when he took the land back from the white occupiers. He should have made proper plans so that the lands will continue to be properly farmed but the lands seem to be wasted now. cry
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by redsun(m): 2:10pm On Apr 04, 2008
It all about oyinbo made bread to you,now the chinese are taking over bread making in nigeria,do you think it's progress?the people should be given opportunities to fend for themselves, teach a man to catch a fish.

The problem in zimbabwe right now boils down to lack of machinaries due embargoes,couple with blackman syndrome of never facing the truth,not mugabe himself,mugabe is a freedom fighter and he will die one,i can't see any other inspirational leader in africa,mention them if you know them.

This things don't come on a platter.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Kobojunkie: 2:14pm On Apr 04, 2008
Blatant:

I was amazed to see clips of Zimbabwe in the last couple of days showing decent roads and vehicular transportation with people buying newspapers etc.

The pictures that the western media had hitherto presented to us of Zimbabwe had always been pictures of some dingy, dreary huts showing very old women who are always potrayed as hungry and suffering. The impression has always been projected of Zimbabweans all hungry looking and haggard. What I saw on TV yesterday is contrary to what I have seen for the last 7 years or thereabouts when the media has tried to let me know that Mugabe is evil.

The streets which were shown just reminded me of Alagomeji in Lagos when I was growing up.

Why did the media decide not to show realistics pictures/movies of Zimbabwe till they realised that the end is near for Mugabe?

@Poster, I don't believe in this case the media is the problem but I believe that you and your idea of what the media should be doing for you or not is the problem here. I understand the need for many to blame the media over and over but fact remains that until you can actually show that the media intended to claim that the roads in Zimbabwe were all not well kept and the infrastructure in Zimbabwe had been left to ruins, you have the typical BLAME THE WEST FOR MY INABILITY TO RESEARCH FURTHER disease. I have watched many types on zimbabwe myself and even I know that just like Nigeria, and even south Africa, there are good roads and there are bad roads and for me to expect the media to focus only on the good roads when showing me pictures of Zimbabwe or any other country or for me to expect the Media to tell me only that side of the story I want, is ludicrous and speaks of my NEED TO WANT TO CONTROL and not the media.

I myself have known for years through the media here that Zimbabwe happens to have plush vacation farms and very good properties for sale. How did I come to know this?? Through the same media which you CLAIM is myopic and does not show you what you want to see WHENEVER YOU TURN ON YOUR TV TO WATCH. I have for years known that Zimbabwe, apart from the government is actually a good place to live through the same media. Instead of playing the BLAME THE WESTERN MEDIA EACH TIME FOR YOUR OWN SHORTCOMINGS game, why not learn to investigate further. If you expect the media to in the 2 or so mediates they air a story, to show you all about the country and even show you if your family has roots there, I suggest you learn to do further research on stories to build on what you have been presented with, not jump out assuming they are always out to get you and only you.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Apr 04, 2008
oh boy!!!
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Blatant: 2:29pm On Apr 04, 2008
4 Play:

The TV station you saw the roads in,was it part of the "Eastern media"? Anybody who has been watching news stories about Zimbabwe over the years on TV must have seen many such beautiful places.I know that because I have seen them a lot while watching the BBC.

I find it ludicrous that you could have been watching all these stories on Zimbabwe on TV and never noticed till now.

Maybe you have been watching a different BBC from the one all of us in my office (I am the only black man here) have been watching   undecided

4 Play:

However,almost all these places were like this during the "apartheid" regime of Ian Smith.Its like coming in 10 years time to tell us that it is because of the ANC that South Africa has beautiful structures.

How do the good roads you saw affect the main issue-that Mugabe's attempts to hold on to power has led to hunger and deprivation in what was one of Africa's most prosperous nations.

I think you'll find, if you do a little more research (not necessarily finding your information from the same people or set of organisations) that the hunger and deprivation is not a result of his attempts to hold on to power but a result of sanctions and withdrawals of grants etc.

I'm not a fan of Mugabe's but most people have ascribed too many things to him unfairly
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Kobojunkie: 2:34pm On Apr 04, 2008
Blatant:

Maybe you have been watching a different BBC from the one all of us in my office (I am the only black man here) have been watching   undecided

I think you'll find, if you do a little more research (not necessarily finding your information from the same people or set of organisations) that the hunger and deprivation is not a result of his attempts to hold on to power but a result of sanctions and withdrawals of grants etc.

I'm not a fan of Mugabe's but most people have ascribed too many things to him unfairly

So the MDC ( Zimbabwe Opposition party) is wrong then?? Seems you beleive you have Zimbabwe's problem figured out better than the MDC does?? http://www.mdc.co.zw/economy.asp Do your research,  That is the MDC Website there for you to go to and read up on what they believe and probably know better than you do to be the problem in Zimbabwe.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Blatant: 3:35pm On Apr 04, 2008
Kobojunkie:

So the MDC ( Zimbabwe Opposition party) is wrong then?? Seems you beleive you have Zimbabwe's problem figured out better than the MDC does?? http://www.mdc.co.zw/economy.asp Do your research, That is the MDC Website there for you to go to and read up on what they believe and probably know better than you do to be the problem in Zimbabwe.

i'm wary of getting into discussions with you because of your penchant for throwing insults.

However, that is the opposition party's website and you do not expect the opposition party to tell you anything other than evil about the government, or maybe you do undecided
Of course, the MDC knows more than I do about Zimbabwe but while trying to justify your hatred of Mugabe, you are missing my point that the hunger and deprivation is NOT A RESULT OF MUGABE'S ATTEMPTS TO HOLD ON TO POWER but a result of sanctions and and withdrawal of grants which the country had hithero used to good effect.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by 4Play(m): 4:27pm On Apr 04, 2008
Blatant:

Maybe you have been watching a different BBC from the one all of us in my office (I am the only black man here) have been watching undecided

Unless this BBC you watch in your office is different from the BBC everyone watches,you have obviously goofed by claiming that the BBC never showed aesthetically pleasing videos of Zimbabwe.I have seen quite a lot of such videos on the BBC over the past 7 years.

The irony of your statement must be lost on you.How can the sanctions(mainly consisting of a ban on ZANU-PF politicians
traveling to the West) have caused famine in Zimbabwe ?

The sanctions are not economic sanctions.As for your reference to the withdrawal of grants.How come after more than 2 decades of independence,Zimbabwe's economic prosperity could hinge on handouts from the West.If Mugabe was doing such a fantastic job,why would they be such a mendicant nation?

What is lost in many people's analysis of Zimbabwe is that the country has been in economic stagnation for close to 2 decades now,predating the land issue.The brouhaha over the land issue only served to speed up dramatically the decline that has been setting in for decades.

People forget that the vast majority of Mugabe's victims are black Zimbabweans.Witness the massacre in Matabeleland in which thousands of innocents died.If this had happened in Blatant's community in Nigeria,he will be spewing fire and brimstone at anyone who dares suggest that Yar'Adua is somewhat a victim of media propaganda. This is how evil thrives in Africa,because Africans play the ostrich when atrocities are meted out on people that have no tribal ties to us.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Apr 04, 2008
Blatant:

i'm wary of getting into discussions with you because of your penchant for throwing insults.

However, that is the opposition party's website and you do not expect the opposition party to tell you anything other than evil about the government, or maybe you do undecided
Of course, the MDC knows more than I do about Zimbabwe but while trying to justify your hatred of Mugabe, you are missing my point that the hunger and deprivation is NOT A RESULT OF MUGABE'S ATTEMPTS TO HOLD ON TO POWER but a result of sanctions and and withdrawal of grants which the country had hithero used to good effect.

Justify my hatred for Mugabe?? Can you post the source of this?? How does banning him from travelling to the west cause hunger and economic problems in the whole country??
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by 4Play(m): 4:45pm On Apr 04, 2008
Maybe stopping his wife from embarking on her regular shopping trips(perhaps she is shopping for the nation) is causing crops to wither away and hyper-inflation.

Perhaps freezing assets belonging to ZANU-PF officials is the cause of all Zimbabwe's problems.No wonder OBJ was known for his junketing abroad.He must have been a wise leader who realised that Nigerians would starve if travel restrictions were placed on PDP members.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Blatant: 5:27pm On Apr 04, 2008
interesting interview

http://www.opendemocracy.net/democracy-africa_democracy/article_399.jsp

It also talked about the rich white city-dwellers

I'm not a Mugabe fan. I'm just trying to get a few things in their right perspectives

From the interview again

There is a tragedy of unresolved racial issues in Zimbabwe. And it’s finding expression now in all kinds of ways. Mugabe is able to tap into an undercurrent of anger and resentment that is in fact highly justified. I have been on farms where people literally scuttle away from the farmer. Almost like they are not entitled to be on that same path. They’re not being paid in money, but in kind through the farm shop. Gross exploitation, gross racism.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Blatant: 5:36pm On Apr 04, 2008
From the same interview

VP: There was a sense that the government was investing heavily in the social sector. The educational issue was being resolved, and for the first time people in rural areas had access to health care. Here was a government that was committed to change and inclusion. At that time there were no illusions about the big issue of the farms. There was an agreement, the Lancaster House Agreement negotiated in London in 1979-80, that land was not going to be touched for at least 10 years. By then, the ten-year period was elapsing.

The government had encouraged farmers to support the emerging education system and health system by building primary schools and clinics on the big farms. Some became model farms, providing electricity and water – but they really were the exception.

There was a sense that if farmers participated in this, they were going to get brownie points and national credibility. On the news, items would appear about what this or that farmer had done, schools and health centres being opened by ministers. In spite of that, a major study by the Zimbabwean Ministry of Education and the Swedish International Development Agency found that children on commercial farms had the worst access to education of any group.

And then two things hit. The structural adjustment and the drought, almost simultaneously.

IMF/World Bank parachute in

open: Tell us about the structural adjustment.

VP: It happened in ’92/’93. The economy was growing, something like 5-6% a year. And the package was presented as a home-grown policy by some, but in fact it was very much imposed on the government.

AG: By?

VP: Well, by the World Bank and IMF. Structural adjustment programmes were still used as models then, although there was heavy criticism. Now they have been abandoned. But one of the reasons was to expand the industrial base. So major privatisations began. The civil service, providing a huge amount of employment, was decimated.

School fees were introduced in urban areas at primary school level. This was only twelve or thirteen years after the country became independent. Although the schools were stronger, they still had a long way to go. They argued that people had the money in urban centres, but large numbers were living on very low incomes. So they introduced a hardship fund.

The hardship fund seemed completely unworkable, partly because the civil service cuts removed all the structures that could have administered it. So children were dropping out of school, even going to live in the rural areas. They were living with relatives, or building their own homes; sometimes squatting around boarding schools.

Primary school children from the towns would come on buses, with a small amount of money, building huts. I have pictures of a family of children. They’ve built a little playpen in the ground, with sticks for the smaller children. Living without any supervision.

Another issue was the introduction of medical fees. If you weren’t in a position to pay, you weren’t meant to, but it was all very badly administered. So, gradually, the gains made in education and health were being eroded through the structural adjustment. And the drought on top of that had a devastating effect.

As part of the structural adjustment process, the Zimbabweans had been persuaded to sell the grain stores, which they kept for security, but which were expensive. The drought hit just after that. Now that they had no grain stores, they had to start buying in grain with foreign exchange, which came mainly from the commercial farm sector, the only real export sector. There was still no real industrial base. They became more dependent on the commercial farm sector, and its position became more entrenched.

Of course the economy has since continued to decline. The government and Mugabe have been criticised for this. And now they have chosen their whipping boy, in the white farmers
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by bluesky4(f): 5:45pm On Apr 04, 2008
either this thread is a joke, or ur very silly, or just plain stupid.

how can u assume that zimbabwe does not have roads? do u even know anything about zimbabwe, what western media pictures are you on about, because the ones i'm seeing are perfectly fine.

Rant over
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Kobojunkie: 5:49pm On Apr 04, 2008
blue-sky:

either this thread is a joke, or your very silly, or just plain stupid.

how can u assume that zimbabwe does not have roads? do u even know anything about zimbabwe, what western media pictures are you on about, because the ones i'm seeing are perfectly fine.

Rant over

Thank you very very much. Some people have this warped idea that all what we see from inside of America is somehow always propaganda and not reality. From where I see it, Zimbabwe actually looks for developed than Nigeria does considering what i have seen from the media.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by 4Play(m): 5:56pm On Apr 04, 2008
@Blatant

That there are legitimate issues to be resolved regarding land ownership is undeniable.However,it will be the height of gullibility to believe that this man who is approaching close to 3 decades in power is motivated merely by a desire to resolve this issue.

When he is handing out choice farms to his family and cronies,is that all part of the land redistribution programme? He has enough money stashed away in foreign bank accounts to have carried out the land reforms a long time ago.

What you have is a man seeking to exploit genuine grievances for selfish purposes to the detriment of his people.

@blue sky

I was stunned by Blatant's initial post.Anybody watching TV programmes on Zimbabwe over the past 7 years would know that many parts of Zimbabwe look like any modern Western city.If he had simply said he hadn't seen such before, fair enough,but to claim that the Western media didn't show this is ludicrous .
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by doyin13(m): 8:23pm On Apr 04, 2008
The Zimbabwe issue again eh. . . . .

@4play

I have read convincing arguments that point to the pernicious effects which these sanctions have had on the economy
particularly in the access to credit markets. The sanctions go beyond a ban on travelling alone.

It is true that things were already deteriorating prior to the land redistributions, but they undoubtedly have been worsened
under the sanctions regime.

Frankly neither side, Mugabe nor his Western detractors, come out with any credit from the whole crisis.

Mugabe should have handed over the reins of power ages ago, and it is more than a coincidence that the West only grew interested
in the decline of Zimbabwe after Mugabe decided on the course of land redistribution.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Kobojunkie: 8:41pm On Apr 04, 2008
doyin13:

The Zimbabwe issue again eh. . . . .

@4play

I have read convincing arguments that point to the pernicious effects which these sanctions have had on the economy
particularly in the access to credit markets. The sanctions go beyond a ban on travelling alone.

It is true that things were already deteriorating prior to the land redistributions, but they undoubtedly have been worsened
under the sanctions regime.

Frankly neither side, Mugabe nor his Western detractors, come out with any credit from the whole crisis.

Mugabe should have handed over the reins of power ages ago, and it is more than a coincidence that the West only grew interested
in the decline of Zimbabwe after Mugabe decided on the course of land redistribution.

Do we know of the actual information on the sanctions imposed on Zimbabwe?? Here is a Pdf listing the sanctions on Zimbabwe from the USA. Do you really think this could in any way limit Zimbabwe's growth if Mugabe was actually wanting to improve situations in his country, bearing in mind that we live in a globalized world ?? http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/zimbabwe/zimb.pdf

IMF Executive Board Upholds Sanctions Against Zimbabwe
Press Release No. 06/45
March 8, 2006
The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) met today to review Zimbabwe's overdue financial obligations to the Fund and consider the sanctions imposed on Zimbabwe. The Board noted that as a result of Zimbabwe's full settlement of its arrears to the IMF's General Resources Account (GRA),1 the Managing Director had withdrawn his complaint with respect to compulsory withdrawal (see Press Release No. 06/33). Following the discussion, the Executive Board decided not to restore Zimbabwe's voting and related rights and not to terminate its ineligibility to use the general resources of the Fund at this juncture.

The Board also considered issues related to Zimbabwe's outstanding arrears to the Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility (PRGF)-Exogenous Shocks Facility (ESF) Trust Fund.2 It noted that Zimbabwe's economic crisis calls for urgent implementation of a comprehensive policy package comprising several mutually reinforcing actions in the area of macroeconomic stabilization and structural reforms. The Board urged Zimbabwe to continue its efforts to resolve the remaining overdue financial obligations to the PRGF-ESF Trust, and agreed that the Fund will consider further Zimbabwe's overdue financial obligations to the PRGF-ESF Trust within six months of the date of this decision.
Because GRA and PRGF arrears are subject to separate legal frameworks, the various decisions taken by the Executive Board to address outstanding arrears to the PRGF-ESF Trust remain in place. Therefore, Zimbabwe remains excluded from the list of PRGF-eligible countries (see Press Release No. 01/40).

Zimbabwe has been in continuous arrears since February 2001 and is the only case of protracted arrears to the PRGF-ESF Trust, which currently amount to SDR 83 million (about US$119 million).

http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/pr/2006/pr0645.htm
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On Apr 04, 2008

News Release
Financial Sanctions: Zimbabwe
2 August 2005

With the publication of Commission Regulation (EC) No 1272/2005 in the Official Journal of the European Union, (O.J. L201, p.40) on 2 August 2005, the Commission of the European Communities has amended the list of those subject to the financial sanctions applicable to various individual members of the Government of Zimbabwe and various persons associated with them. The list of targeted persons set out in the Annex to Commission Regulation (EC) No 1272/2005 amends the list of targeted persons in Annex III to Council Regulation (EC) No 314/2004, as amended and replaced by the Annex to Commission Regulation (EC) No 898/2005.

The Bank of England, on behalf of Her Majesty’s Treasury, therefore announces that with immediate effect all funds or economic resources belonging to the persons listed in Annex III to Council Regulation (EC) No 314/2004, as amended by the Annex to Commission Regulation (EC) No 1272/2005, must be frozen. No funds or economic resources are to be made available, directly or indirectly, to or for the benefit of the listed persons. Financial institutions and other bodies and persons in the UK must check whether they maintain any accounts or otherwise hold any funds for the individuals named and, if so, they should freeze the accounts or other funds and report the accounts or other funds and amounts frozen to the Bank of England.

Copies of this Commission Regulation and previous Regulations, and the related Bank Notices, regarding the financial sanctions regime against Zimbabwe are available from the Financial Sanctions pages.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/news/2005/084.htm
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by texazzpete(m): 9:54pm On Apr 04, 2008
People babble on and on about financial sanctions on Zimbabwe and other bullshit, but no-one has seen fit to explain this simple thing to me:

Zimbabwe used to be known as the breadbasket of the region. Did any sanctions suddenly make their soil infertile? Did Blair, Gordon Brown and Bush creep in the night and sprinkle sulphur and wormwood on the arable lands?
Did Blair (and the West) place troops at Zimbabwe's border preventing the country from purchasing farming equipment like Tractors, et al?

Zimbabwe cannot feed it's population. And it's easy to see who's fault it is. Someone decided that the only way to solve his country's economic policies was to print more money in higher denominations. It wasn't blair, was it?

Sit at home in your comfortable armchairs and pontificate away. Self-righteousness is and will always be a mainstay for Nigerians. But give thanks that you do not live in a country where a loaf of bread costs 45 million dollars (zimbabwe), and wonder if you will, if you're the kind of person that would do anything to cling to power, even at the risk of seeing his people starve.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by 4Play(m): 10:53pm On Apr 04, 2008
@Doyin13

I know the article you are talking about.The sanctions per se is not responsible for Zimbabwe's inability to access the credit market.The argument was that the sanctions acted as a compelling and clear vote of no confidence on Zimbabwe which had repercussions with creditors.

That argument is flawed because if Zimbabwe promised good returns to creditors,many will still pile in.Western banks and bond markets won't face penalties if they allowed Zimbabwe to borrow.Nothing also stops Mugabe from tapping credit facilities from China.

There are many problems with Zimbabwe's economy that can't conceivably be attributed to the West-handing farmland over to people with no expertise,printing money,Govt corruption,e.t.c Do you know how incredibly costly Zimbabwe's military intervention in the DRC Congo was to the economy?

At the end,we shouldn't forget that the West continues to pour millions of dollars in aid into Zimbabwe without which the dire situation would have been even more catastrophic.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by Eziachi: 12:02am On Apr 05, 2008
Here we go again, some blaming white man for our woes. One person here even said that Mugabe is the best African leader, what a baffoon!!! of a person.  What has banning Mugabe and his gangs in ZANU-PF travelling abroad has to do with him starving his people?
He started his so called land reforms, just to play Peter against Paul in order to hold on to power. How can you confistcate land from real/experience farmers whether they are white or green and gave the land to poor and no experience former war veterians? The veterans he failed to absorb into the army after the liberation struggle and failed woefully to rehabilitate after the decommisioning.

Before his crazy and senseless reforms,  Zimbabwe use to be one of the bread baskets of the world, the send biggest tobacco exporter in the world. Today, many of Mugabes citizens are scavenging from the refuse heaps. And the old fool is busy goofing about, playing politics with the life of his hapless people. Five years ago, this 84 years old fool married his former private secretary 45 years younger than him and went on to spent $3m of public fund on a larvish wedding party and as his guest drinks crystal champagne, his own people are starving.

Now he is fighting to remain in power, so as to die their, and to avoid being dragged the Hague, to answer for all his artrocities of 28 years of dictatorship.  This was a man who did everything to destroy his fellow liberation figher- Joshua Nkomo because he spoke out from the outset and in the end Nkomo died a broken man, thanks to Mugabe. But as always, his fellow African misrulers and tyrants has kept mute.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by redsun(m): 9:15am On Apr 05, 2008
Whiteman's claim to sothern africa is that it belongs to lost white civilization.

The european invaders dominated the indigenous people,and held claim to the land by asserting falsehood of simultaneous arrival of european and native invaders,they even falsified archaelogical findings to support non indiginous claim to the land,and reasoned that africans,the bantus lack intelligence required for stone mansory and permanent structures and therefore the ancient ruin structures of zimbabwe must have been built by ancient lost white civilization,however,the shonas,the africans with constant communications with their ancestors through rituals and ceremonies till present day knew the truth,the structures were built by ancient african architects.

Before you begin to make shallow excuses as regards what is going on today in zimbabwe,you got to look into the fundamentals and see what the true fight is.Shallow minded mutherfuckers,always resorting to easy solutions,just like religion,that is why they are still engrossed in ancient christianity and aslam in a digital world,they can't see their myseries,eyes that can't see,the blind.

This is the beginning of a revolution,and they are crying,you never start,it is going to extend to south africa,this is the time to realise who you are and work it out,mastermind.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by redsun(m): 10:59am On Apr 05, 2008
Read the book,The Black Peril,White virtue-Sexual And Racial Crime In Southern Rhodesia by Jock McColloch,a more or less white believer who could not but give a faint picture of the brutallity of the white settlers on indiginous africans,and this continues till present day and yet africans still see whiteman's food basket as blessing to africans,hungry mamafuckers who can't feed themselves just because they don't believe.

How can you solve a problem you don't understand?africans are living in a limbo,decieved by organize religions and psychological traumas as a result of colonial brutality and deceits.You see them in england showing of as ticket collectors and cleaners even appearing on tvs,they are never embarrased,they think it's their birth right to clean and suffer,always playing the second fiddle,there is no point in time in one's life less should be accepted,be it europe or africa,any moment you breath is your moment.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by texazzpete(m): 11:20am On Apr 05, 2008
redsun:

Read the book,The Black Peril,White virtue-Sexual And Racial Crime In Southern Rhodesia by Jock McColloch,a more or less white believer who could not but give a faint picture of the brutallity of the white settlers on indiginous africans,and this continues till present day and yet africans still see whiteman's food basket as blessing to africans,hungry mamafuckers who can't feed themselves just because they don't believe.

How can you solve a problem you don't understand?africans are living in a limbo,decieved by organize religions and psychological traumas as a result of colonial brutality and deceits

Here's the issue: You're eating 3 square meals while people in Zimbabwe are starving from lack of food, from crippling food prices. It's easy for you to pontificate and blame 'whiteman' for Zimbabwe's woes, but everyone who genuinely feels for the people know that the majority of their problems come from poor leadership.

What's most important for you? To vindicate your philosophies or to consider the poor people suffering in that country? I don't give a shit about any book. neither do Zimbabweans. All they want is food and economic stability.

Focus on the issue at hand. Show us all how Blair and Bush et al made Zimbabwe's soil infertile.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by redsun(m): 11:29am On Apr 05, 2008
Reflect on men like Mao of china.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by 4Play(m): 12:07pm On Apr 05, 2008
redsun:

Reflect on men like Mao of china.

You mean Mao Zedong whose policies led to the death of 20m Chinese people shocked (one of the 20th centuries worst mass murderers). Next you will tell us to reflect on Stalin.

China is where it is today because people like Deng Xiaoping repudiated Mao's destructive policies and moved towards a more liberal economy.

If Mao and Mugabe are your heroes,you have a really warped perspective of history.People like Abacha and IBB were geniuses compared to those 2.
Re: Zimbabwe Has Roads? by redsun(m): 12:49pm On Apr 05, 2008
4play,you just a joke,you are really for 4play.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World Cup Anthem Controversy:south Africans Unhappy About Selection / "Brown People" another ethnic group in America / Spanish School Offering A Professional Course In Prostitution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.