Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

How To Manage A DDOS Attack. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Manage A DDOS Attack. (1392 Views)

My Website Is Under DDOS Attack, What Should I Do? / Web Masters: How Much Will You Charge To Manage A Company's Website! / How To Manage Clients In Web Design Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Manage A DDOS Attack. by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 10, 2013
I got this message from one of my many Webhosting companies(Foreign) just this morning.

Server #8 is under the DDOS attack (IP Nullrouted)

We have just received a HUGE (over 3GB/s incoming traffic) DDoS attack targeting the Server #8. Our CISCO guard firewall was unable to handle such attack, so one of the server IP address - 31.170.166.131 was disabled (all the rest websites on this server are working fine). If your website is using this IP (due to unique IP rotation system only 3% websites are using this IP) it will be unavailable for the next 6 hours. As soon attack will subside, this IP address will be enabled and your website will start working again. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
2013-04-09 08:04:24

Just in case you're wondering what DDOS means.

DDOS, short for Distributed Denial of Service, is a type of DOS attack where multiple compromised systems -- which are usually infected with a Trojan -- are used to target a single system causing a Denial of Service (DoS) attack. Victims of a DDoS attack consist of both the end targeted system and all systems maliciously used and controlled by the hacker in the distributed attack.

According to this report on eSecurityPlanet, in a DDoS attack, the incoming traffic flooding the victim originates from many different sources – potentially hundreds of thousands or more. This effectively makes it impossible to stop the attack simply by blocking a single IP address; plus, it is very difficult to distinguish legitimate user traffic from attack traffic when spread across so many points of origin.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DDoS_attack.html

Now what happens if one of the local hosting companies experience this kind of attack and how well will it be managed without customer care switching off their phones or dropping calls? grin
Re: How To Manage A DDOS Attack. by rufaai(m): 1:58pm On Apr 10, 2013
Brand_new:

Now what happens if one of the local hosting companies experience this kind of attack and how well will it be managed without customer care switching off their phones or dropping calls? grin

LOL See bad thought! Okay, I'd answer this in our own case. grin

At GigaLayer all our servers are hosted with DCs with effective DDOS Protection. If you want to know how, I will explain little further. There are ways to actually detect and protect servers from DDOS, which includes and not limited to Firewall and Switches. When a pool of unusually traffic starts surging, rules are set with Firewall to protect against DoS immediately. Using switch limiting, also similar with Firewall the DC is able to detect and drop traffic received which exceeds the usual threshold for a target server, in some cases it can also be controlled by traffic shaping!

Even switching IP could help, although that's last resort which I can see was the option weighed in the above case you mentioned.

Cheers and happy hosting with GigaLayer, you're backed. wink
Re: How To Manage A DDOS Attack. by GraphicsPlus(m): 2:50pm On Apr 10, 2013
Brand_new: I got this message from one of my many Webhosting companies(Foreign) just this morning.

Ok. So u dont host with ListMasta?
I wonder a serious webmaster that will be hosting with all these Nigeria web hosting companies?
Re: How To Manage A DDOS Attack. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 10, 2013
rufaai:

LOL See bad thought! Okay, I'd answer this in our own case. grin

At GigaLayer all our servers are hosting with DCs with effect DDOS Protection. If you want to know how, I will explain little further. There are ways to actually detect and protect servers from DDOS, which includes and not limited to Firewall and Switches.
Even switching IP could help, although that's last resort which I can see was the option weighed in the above case you mentioned.

Cheers and happy hosting with GigaLayer, you're backed. wink

That's a good one. grin

GraphicsPlus:

Ok. So u dont host with ListMasta?
I wonder a serious webmaster that will be hosting with all these Nigeria web hosting companies?

Listmasta is actually a foreign host with it's data center in Germany.

http://www.listmasta.com/data-center.html
Re: How To Manage A DDOS Attack. by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
I can only tell u that ListMasta is a nigerian web host company.
Re: How To Manage A DDOS Attack. by Slyr0x: 5:18pm On Apr 10, 2013
@Topic,

Reason why y'all have to subscribe to Cloudflare

Just last week, Cloudflare helped mitigate a DDOS attack of 85GB/sec tagged "The DDoS That Almost Broke the Internet". .You can imagine how huge that was. .

Without/With Cloudflare

You can check here for their plans http://www.cloudflare.com/plans

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get Ftp On Localhost / Best Places To Submit Articles For Backlinks / Free 5GB Cpanel Hosting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.