Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,706 members, 7,837,583 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency (693 Views)

Photos Of Abba Moro Arriving Court Today For Trial / I’m Not Ready For Trial, Says Dasuki / APC, FG Hounded Alamieyeseigha To Death - Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by draogtech: 12:33pm On Apr 10, 2013
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Doyin Okupe, in an exclusive interview with PREMIUM TIMES in his office recently described the spokesperson of the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Lai Mohammed, as a ‘liar’ with no vision and very little understanding of what the role of the opposition is supposed to be in a democracy.

See his reasons in the interview session at: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/128859-why-nigeria-cant-release-alamieyeseigha-to-britain-for-trial-presidency.html
Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by ochukoccna: 12:42pm On Apr 10, 2013
@OP,do not be a lazy slob.Do try post part of the article or break down the article in about 2-3 posts to stimulate conversation on your thread

Q. Is it true that Britain has written to the Federal Government asking for former governor Alamieyeseigha to be extradited to Britain for trial and the Nigerian government refused?

A. I am not aware, but even if the FG refuses I don’t see any big issue in that. We don’t take our country seriously. There were some Russians that came and stole Nigerian crude oil. There is absolutely nothing that the Russian government did not do to ensure that the people were not tried here. They applied every diplomatic force and efforts; and these are criminals, thieves who stole our oil. I also remember some years ago I think in Malaysia or so where a Briton was prosecuted for a serious offence and there was going to be a capital punishment; even the Queen of England went to campaign for the transfer of that person to go and serve his jail term at home. This happens all over the world; why should Nigeria release a Nigerian citizen, who committed an offence in Nigeria for which he has been punished, to Britain? What is the interest of Britain? The offence was not committed in the U.K.; it was committed against the people of this country for which our laws have punished the man and he has served his term.

Countries such as Britain go out of their way to ensure that their citizens who commit crimes in other lands are not punished. They will use every diplomatic effort to make sure that they are brought to Britain to serve their punishment. Why should we now submit our own person, it does not make sense to me. But I am not aware if they made any demand to anybody, but if they have done so and Nigeria refuses, I don’t see any problem with that.

Q. I recall you saying that some of the factors the president considered in granting pardon to Alamieyeseigha is the role he is playing to stabilize the country’s economy especially with regards to oil theft; But I don’t know if you are aware that ENI recently announced they are shutting down their operations in Bayelsa because of oil theft and Shell also announced they will have to stop operations for some time to repair a ruptured pipeline that will reduce about 150,000 barrels per day of crude oil from their operations. How do you now reconcile the role that the former governor is playing in terms of reducing oil theft and what is still going on in the Niger Delta?

A. The situation could have been worse, but for the intervention of various people including Alamieyeseigha.

Q. But at a point, incidences of oil thefts appear to be going down until all of a sudden…?
A. No no no I don’t think oil theft can be attributed to the militants in the Niger Delta; that would be a gross error. Recently, the Navy and NIMASA arrested a Russian ship carrying Nigerian crude oil.

What has that got to do with the militants in the Niger Delta? It is not correct to equate the activities of militants in the Niger Delta with oil
theft. Right now the Navy has told us that even the oil theft has reduced by over 60 to 70%, from 60,000 barrels a day to 23,000 barrels a day.
The point I am trying to make is that it is difficult to equate oil theft to the activities of militants in the Niger Delta.
Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by ochukoccna: 12:53pm On Apr 10, 2013
This man's (Okupe) delusion never ceases to amaze
How will Nigeria release Russian economic saboteurs? It that the right thing to do
Same goes for countries like Malaysia and Indonesia who have strict enforceable laws against drug offences.
If you do the crime, why fear the time?

Okupe has developed amnesia that Alams jumped bail on money laudering charges.
He forgets in his puerile reasoning that the EU and the US frown very heavily against financial crimes.
If Alams is innocent,why did he jump bail and become an international fugitive undecided undecided
Despite Alam's peace making in the creeks,oil companies have seen their output drop due to rheft and bunkering yet Okupe would have us believe otherwise
And he's accusing other people of been liars
Foolish propaganda outlet

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by takedat(m): 1:02pm On Apr 10, 2013
Damn! If the number one, undisputable habitual liar and supplier of sophisticated lies calls another a liar, such a person should simply commit suicide! Clowns as political elites!
Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by licensed2k(m): 1:08pm On Apr 10, 2013
Is doyin okupe just this dumb or he's just tryna justify the mammoth amount of taxpayers' money he' bn paid by the clueless scumbag....beats me...buh either way, he still sounds dumb
Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 10, 2013
ochukoccna: .
toddler! Go away from the computer and play with your toys pls.
Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 10, 2013
The British govt.should respect the decision of a sovereign nation and back off from the case. Alams has been pardoned and unfortunately the constitution of Nigeria bestowed GEJ the power to do so.I see no further reasons to question his authority unconstitutionally
Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by ochukoccna: 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2013
chiover: toddler! Go away from the computer and play with your toys pls.
You said?

chiover: The British govt.should respect the decision of a sovereign nation and back off from the case. Alams has been pardoned and unfortunately the constitution of Nigeria bestowed GEJ the power to do so.I see no further reasons to question his authority unconstitutionally
Hope creek Joe,Alams and lapdogs like you remember that Interpol is watching him too O!
Re: Why Nigeria Can’t Release Alamieyeseigha To Britain For Trial — Presidency by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
ochukoccna:
You said?

Hope creek Joe,Alams and lapdogs like you remember that Interpol is watching him too O!
check my posts, I don't do the GEJ praises but, I have respect for the man. Whenever he is wrong,I will air it,whenever he is right,I will air it also without insulting him.on the pardon of Alams, we all know that some elements of nepotism were brought into play but if you look at it from constitutional angle,you will let the matter rest because GEJ put it thus, "he Alams is responsible for peace in NigerDelta and had shown remorse for his crimes and not withstanding the fact that he has completed his jail term". So bro! He has the right to forgive a repentant thief so why should Britain be making so much noise about it? If Britain were that serious with this case,by now they are supposed to have made public the names of the moles in British security that aided the escape of Alams because he did not dress like a woman without the help of an insider. Please think. For how long shall we continue to be under the white men's bondage?

(1) (Reply)

Kidnap Kingpin Opens Up On Their Operation / Ghana 2012 Election Petition Hearing Day 13 / If You Were President Goodluck Jonathan, What Will You Do To End Boko Haram?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.