Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,498 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo (15741 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Outages ‎force Reps To Shut Down Proceedings / There Will Be No More Power Outages – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 11, 2013
Expect More Power Cuts, Minister Tells Nigerians

The Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, on Wednesday said there would be more power cuts in the days ahead due to ongoing maintenance works on installations across the country.

Nebo, while explaining why there was a sharp drop in power supply at a briefing in Abuja, said the country lost 1,112 megawatts of generated electricity in two days due to the shutdown of the Chevron gas plant.

He said, "A few days ago, precisely last week Friday, Chevron shut down its gas plant for maintenance purposes, which was to take place between Friday and Saturday. And the technical crew in the power sector knew about the shutdown and this was in order to make sure that damages are not done before losing the gas entirely.

"From time to time, there is going to be shutdown and it happened two times recently between Benin and Osogbo. If you don't shut down these plants in order to have a safe restarting process, you are going to lose the equipment. Once routine maintenance is done, the process of restarting the machines that were shut down takes some time."

He said two power stations were affected by the recent shutdown, stressing that the oil company and the ministry's technicians had to maintain the plants.

The minister added, "That is why between two and three days, we lost some 1,112MW. That means Omotoso and Olorunsogo plants were forced to shut down because there was no gas supply. By design, Chevron has to maintain the gas pipelines and it was so.

"You will notice that from Monday, we started seeing some increase that has stabilised. Right now, we have over 3,300MW."

Nebo gave an assurance that occasional system failures would be addressed.

He said, "With regards to occasional system failures, we are in the process of reviving the huge section of the transmission machinery, especially the lines that are aged, failing, dilapidated and in need of replacement. We are working on that.

"And for that reason, whenever a significant part of the transmission network encounters serious technical problems, you will experience system shutdown. And whenever you have a serious problem, you must shut down in order to make sure that the system is not overloaded at one end and create problems throughout the entire country."

The PUNCH had exclusively reported on Wednesday that the nation had witnessed a significant drop in power generation from a peak of 4,517MW attained on December 21, 2012 to 3,443MW on Tuesday.

The 1,074MW drop is, however, a slight improvement on the 2,987.6MW peak generation recorded on April 6, 2013, when a whopping 1,529.4MW was lost.

The minister also said that the meeting with labour unions in the power sector over workers' final entitlements had been cordial and that very soon, private investors would take over the power companies they bid for.

He also said the issue with Manitoba Hydro International over the management contract for the Transmission Company of Nigeria had been resolved, stressing that the transmission infrastructure had received a boost.

"Manitoba has received the schedule of delegated authority and most issues in the sector have been resolved," Nebo added.

http://m.naij.com/news/30642.html
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by blackmale1: 4:44pm On Apr 11, 2013
Just tell us the water level in kainji is very low,so wait till the rains starts... Power cut is worst at this time of the year,every damn year,its no longer news. stop bamboozling Nigerians...

2 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 11, 2013
Nigerians are already used to power cuts. I wonder why they are telling us.
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by papadenzel(m): 5:16pm On Apr 11, 2013
All these grammar 2 xplain say lite no dey, and more grammar 2 xplain say lite still no dey. Not seen lite since thursday last week here in festac. #shame on fresh air

27 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by akaOpene(m): 5:41pm On Apr 11, 2013
All these technical jargons cannot fool us when we just got an outrageous sum as this month's bill,when we have spent almost a week without electricity.This is a government of scammers.

3 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by saintkola(m): 5:55pm On Apr 11, 2013
cryLo ba tan! cry
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by concacid: 5:59pm On Apr 11, 2013
NO PROBLEM, WE ALREADY HAVE GENERATORS. THANKS.

4 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Nobody: 6:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
where is sincere nigerian and rossik

5 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by adexsimply(m): 6:01pm On Apr 11, 2013
doesn't change anything...we are used to it

1 Like

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 11, 2013
papadenzel: All these grammar 2 xplain say lite no dey, and more grammar 2 xplain say lite still no dey. Not seen lite since thursday last week here in festac. #shame on fresh air

Phnc manage to flash it this evening undecided
@ top i thought Nebo said witches and wizards are behind power outages
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by concacid: 6:01pm On Apr 11, 2013
NOT NEWS ANYMORE undecided

1 Like

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 11, 2013
Light no dey, Govt no tell u why, u complain. light no dey Govt tell u why, u complain.

Govt u ma kuku do quick giv us constant light make people stop to complain na shoooo!

2 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Nobody: 6:03pm On Apr 11, 2013
spirit of gross darkness holding the country to ransom that it breathed with difficulties.
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by sureboykris(m): 6:03pm On Apr 11, 2013
Same old story. Dead country undecided
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by sidvinci(m): 6:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
Please where is prof barth nnaji.............time to but fuel.
If nigeria say two days na one week plus. Three days na two weeks. Nebo go back to your provost job. Where is barth nnaji?

4 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by tripledub: 6:06pm On Apr 11, 2013
Abeg, make una fix am quick quick o because it is affecting my business. I don't want to fold up o, or else i ll pack to Ghana or Togo.

8 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by johnwizey: 6:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
Nt until u tell us na,we are used to blackout
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by lindiwey: 6:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
Bullshit! Na today? Abeg make I go on my generator.Oga Nebo,u and ur people cant dull me o...mtshewwww
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by SlyIg(f): 6:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
Power dey poor for my area o...
Make this man kw wetin he d do o ...
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by MadCow1: 6:10pm On Apr 11, 2013
Na this kind news dey make me quick vex... angry

1 Like

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by fkaz(m): 6:10pm On Apr 11, 2013
the minister should better invoke holly ghost fire to tackle the power sector, since he knows that there are witches and wizard hampering the power sector, instead of these technical jargons

1 Like

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by kkkp: 6:10pm On Apr 11, 2013
Lolzzzz one step foward two step backwardss..dat naija grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Exponental(m): 6:11pm On Apr 11, 2013
Na today? Bola Ige talk am for 2001.
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by parki: 6:12pm On Apr 11, 2013
Have we ever had light before? This news is totally irrelevant.... NEXT.
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 11, 2013
berem: Nigerians are already used to power cuts. I wonder why they are telling us.

So you don't start spitting fire from your twisted yam-peel mouth when it happens.

I see you are now the Iyalaje Iyawo of Dayokanu and Eko Ile the *shim* rabbit of egba land.
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by PapaBrowne(m): 6:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
If the power drop would lead to eventual and lasting power supply, then we appreciate your Information, Mr minister.

If on the other hand, power supply doesn't improve, can we request sir that you tell your Oga on top to grant Amnesty to PHCN workers so they can stop tormenting us like this.

4 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by nikkyshyne(f): 6:14pm On Apr 11, 2013
Infact I am tired. No lite since sunday. My cloths are all rumpled. Wearing same cloth to work since monday. Fine girl like me. embarassed
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Chitexs250(m): 6:19pm On Apr 11, 2013
I no even know Wenti I wan talk again self

15 Likes

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by Sprumbaba: 6:20pm On Apr 11, 2013
Good news.

1 Like

Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by LEvuls(m): 6:21pm On Apr 11, 2013
well expected..rubbish con3
Re: There Will Be More Power Outages - Nebo by alfredo4u(m): 6:21pm On Apr 11, 2013
we are use to darkness. U pple shld increase d darkness 4 us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suntai Danbaba Celebrates Birthday In US Hospital. / Governor Umahi Wins Ebonyi South Senatorial Ticket / Tension Grips Enugu Community Over Farmers, Herdsmen Disagreement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.