Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Nigeria History Makers In Pictures - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria History Makers In Pictures (85443 Views)

Soldiers Nab Bomb Makers In Gombe (see What They Recovered) / I’m First To Create 5,400 Jobs In Nigeria’s History – Jonathan / Great Leaders In Nigeria's History Before Total Colonisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Dede1(m): 4:26am On Apr 13, 2013
Quaritch: Biafran Armoured Vehicle as displayed in the National War Museum, Umuahia
My appreciation goes to Philip Uko Efiong and the the entire family of Major-General Philip Efiong for the permission to share this piece of Nigerian ingenuity.

Quaritch

In the above post, instead of “My appreciation goes to Philip Uko Efiong and the entire family of Major-General Philip Efiong for the permission to share this piece of Nigerian ingenuity”, it should have been “My appreciation goes to Philip Uko Efiong and the the entire family of Major-General Philip Efiong for the permission to share this piece of Biafran ingenuity”.

Nigeria does not have any iota of ingenuity. Please call a spade a spade.

You have done a great job with this post and believe me, it will not argument well at the end if you attempt to be economical with the truth. Please for posterity sake, I urge you shun distortion disciples abounded in Nigeria. Do not be afraid of truth. My grandpa said that “those who speak truth do not have good memory”.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Dede1(m): 4:30am On Apr 13, 2013
CyberG:

Dede is only here to advance his tribal arguments as usual. Well, you can argue and perambulate all you want but history cannot be re-written! LOL grin grin grin Abeg, go home with your tortoise and spider stories!

CyberG
Shaatap there young man!! I know you are very allergic to the truth.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by EkoIle1: 4:32am On Apr 13, 2013
Dede1:

Quaritch

In the above post, instead of “My appreciation goes to Philip Uko Efiong and the entire family of Major-General Philip Efiong for the permission to share this piece of Nigerian ingenuity”, it should have been “My appreciation goes to Philip Uko Efiong and the the entire family of Major-General Philip Efiong for the permission to share this piece of Biafran ingenuity”.

You have done a great job with this post and believe me, it will not argument well at the end if you attempt to be economical with the truth. Please for posterity sake, I urge you shun distortion disciples abounded in Nigeria. Do not be afraid of truth. My grandpa said that “those who speak truth do not have good memory”.

egbon dende... is that ogbunikwe? lmao
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:13am On Apr 13, 2013
Dede1:

Quaritch

Fyi, i wasn't the person that wrote the above,
All these postings are from a particular group i belong to, on Facebook, many people contribute their pictures and the backstories.
I felt it will be appreciated by Nigerian progressives, hence my duplicating it here!
if interested, the group is:
https://www./nigeriannostalgiaproject/
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:14am On Apr 13, 2013
The release of this music by Rex Lawson coincided with the January coup period,some dis-grunted and un-guided element said the music was released cos of the death of the Sarduana whom they believed cried like a goat when he was killed and they categorized d music as a mockery to the then Sarduana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NclcmtPlJzA&list=PL80FBFCA4FBFCB5B3

THE MUSIC THAT SET IT OFF!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:19am On Apr 13, 2013
Prince Okunade Sijuwade now Oba Okunade Sijuwade (Olubuse 11), Ooni of Ife in an undated picture with the late sage Chief Obafemi Awolowo. According to Ooni, it was Chief Awolowo that informed him in London through a telephone call from Nigeria in 1980 that Oba Aderemi had joined his ancestors. He quoted Chief Awolowo as saying that "ileya" in preparation to become the 50th Ooni. Source www.theooni.org

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:22am On Apr 13, 2013
Capt. Idris Wada (present Governor of Kogi state) as a young flight instructor at the Civil Aviation College in Zaria...Circa 1972

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:27am On Apr 13, 2013
Chima_Adeoye: These aren't the history makers, these are some of the wreckers of Nigeria.

Wether positive or negative, my man, it's still history! grin
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:33am On Apr 13, 2013
Premier of Western Nigeria Arrives. Acknowledges Greeting.. Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Premier of Western Nigeria received a traditional welcome from students when he arrived at London Airport. He is to attend the resumed Nigerian Constitutional Conference at Lancaster House. Keystone Photo Shows:- Chief Awolowo acknowledges the greeting of the reception committee - on his arrival at London Airport.Photo is dated 09-09-1958

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:35am On Apr 13, 2013
Yusuf Olatunji, also known as Baba Legba or Baba L’Egbaa (born 1909, died 1978) was a Nigerian Sakara drum player, who popularized the sakara music style. He was purportedly born in 1909 in a village called GBEGBINLAWO in Ogun State in southwestern Nigeria, although there are still doubts about the location of his birth. His mid-life conversion to Islam boosted his career in Yoruba music. He was born a Christian and he hailed from Iseyin in Oyo state. He was formerly known as Joseph Olatunji. He died in December, 1978.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:37am On Apr 13, 2013
Sardauna of Sokoto & Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe 1963

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:38am On Apr 13, 2013
Adegoke Adelabu "Penkelemesi" and Awolowo. from the book, The Price of Liberty: Personality and Politics in Colonial Nigeria By K. W. Post, George D. Jenkins

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:40am On Apr 13, 2013
Chief Segun Olusola (right) and Segun Sofowote (left), co-dancers in a dance drama 1960s. Segun Olusola was Born at Iperu-Remo, Ogun State, on March 18, 1935, he attended the Roman Catholic School Iperu- Remo between 1941 and 1943. He was also at Wesley School Iperu from 1944 to 1947 and the Remo Secondary School, Sagamu from 1948 to 1953. His working career began with the ECN now PHCN. His stay in the accounts department was short-lived. A broadcasting career had already beckoned. He took up the offer to work on the small screen in 1955 at the Ibadan station of the Nigerian Broadcasting Service. He had the distinguished honour of becoming Africa's first producer on television in 1959 at the WNTV now NTA Ibadan. His career on television endured till 1987.He served as Chairman of the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON). He supervised the coverage of the Second All Africa Games in 1973 and became NTA's director of Commercial Operations in 1986. In furtherance of his broadcasting career, he attended various institutions including the Syracuse University New York (USA) 1960, BBC Management of Resources Course (UK) 1974, Pittsburg University Management Program for Executives (USA) 1980, and at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Jos 1982. He was Nigeria's longest-serving ambassador to Ethiopia (1987 - 1993). Olusola was also a civil society activist with his African Refugees Foundation. Culture icon Chief Segun Olusola passed on 22 jun. 2012. Source: Segun Sofowote

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:48am On Apr 13, 2013
Dr. Taslim Olawale Elias was born on the 14th November, 1914. The son of Momolesho Elias, he came from one of the earliest Moslem families in Lagos.
It was as late ad 1926 when he was 12 that he was sent to primary school.
After a series of double promotions, he finished at Igbobi College in 1934, with exemption from the London Matriculation.
Between 1934 and 1944 he worked at the Nigerian Railway. He realised the civil service was not his calling.
He was admitted into the University College, London in 1944 and graduated in law two years later.
He competed for and won the coveted Yarborough- Anderson scholarship of the Inner Temple at the University and got his Master of Laws. He was again awarded a post- graduate scholarship. He thus became the first Nigerian to have been made a scholar of his professional Inn of Court and of his university. The first Nigerian to obtain a Ph.d in Law.
When the British declared Nigeria independent on 1st October, 1960, Dr. Elias was appointed the first Attorney General and Minister of Justice by Tafawa Balewa. He was Dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Lagos.
He held the position of Attorney General for about 11 years.
1972-75, Chief Justice of Nigeria.

1976-91, Judge at the International Court of Justice.
1979-82, Vice President at the International Court of Justice.
1982-85,president at the International Court of Justice.

Dr. Elias died on the 14th August, 1991.

Daily Times. 21st February, 1972

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:49am On Apr 13, 2013
Major General Ejoor and Brigadier Bissala.

Daily Times . 3 November 1972

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by MajeOfficial: 7:49am On Apr 13, 2013
now earning degrees makes you a history maker. jesus
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:50am On Apr 13, 2013
In the picture: From left, Alabi Isama, Akinrinade, Adekunle, Godwin Ally, and Col. Alimi Ogunkanmi. The picture was taken 6 days before Col Ogunkanmi was shot and became paralyzed. This was the beginning of the 3MCDO story to change ADEKUNLE in 1969. Picture supplied by Brigadier Alabi Isama.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Quaritch(m): 7:54am On Apr 13, 2013
Nigeria Returns to Civilian Rule: Nigeria returned to civilian rule yesterday after 13 years. About 70,000 people jammed the Tafawa Belewa Square in Lagos to cheer the inauguration of Civilian President Aljahi Shebu Shagari. Dr. Nnamdi Aizkiwe, the former President of Nigeria's first republic, and leader of the Nigerian Peoples party. Photo is dated 10-10-1979. Source: Historic Images

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by NegroNtns(m): 11:12am On Apr 13, 2013
Quaritch: Prince Okunade Sijuwade now Oba Okunade Sijuwade (Olubuse 11), Ooni of Ife in an undated picture with the late sage Chief Obafemi Awolowo. According to Ooni, it was Chief Awolowo that informed him in London through a telephone call from Nigeria in 1980 that Oba Aderemi had joined his ancestors. He quoted Chief Awolowo as saying that "ileya" in preparation to become the 50th Ooni. Source www.theooni.org

Quaritch,

Sijuwade's title is Ooni. He doesnt have Oba title.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 13, 2013
Ufeolorun:
If she's got that surname combination,she's likely to be from Owo royal family,90% likelihood.

She is from Ondo,I guess she is.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by hiltop2: 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2013
tomakint:
Just to add to it that he was the man that 'unjustly sacked over 10,000 civil servants in 1975' with the promise to the nation that he is trying to 'sanitize the heavily corrupted civil service commission' only for him to replace the sacked officials with majorities of his fellow mallams and indirectly introducing 'ghost workers' to the polity! He remains the same man that unilaterally decided to move the federal capital territory to Abuja without due consultation thereby wasting billions of naira in the process at a time a naira was exchanging for $2 when Lagos (then capital) was begging for serious structural developments! I would surmise that his short exit really saved Nigeria a collossal collateral damage that would have brought Nigeria on her knees!
What about justice Akinola Aguda Panel
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by OAM4J: 12:35pm On Apr 13, 2013
Nice thread!

Keep it up OP.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by fuke(m): 12:59pm On Apr 13, 2013
Best thread in months,
Keep it coming
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Ty207: 12:59pm On Apr 13, 2013
All dose time naija still good and all the leader has the interest of the people in mind......Not now useless people with selfish interest.... cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Dede1(m): 1:04pm On Apr 13, 2013
Quaritch:

Fyi, i wasn't the person that wrote the above,
All these postings are from a particular group i belong to, on Facebook, many people contribute their pictures and the backstories.
I felt it will be appreciated by Nigerian progressives, hence my duplicating it here!
if interested, the group is:
https://www./nigeriannostalgiaproject/

Since you are the character that posted the write-up on this forum, it is expected of you as a human, not as a Nigerian, to correct such wrong impression and utter misplacement of fact. What happened to the civil duty we owe as upright individuals?
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Cusubaba(m): 1:05pm On Apr 13, 2013
Quaritch: 1958 LancasterHouse Conference on Nigerian Independence —(From Left) Alan Lennox-Boyd, British Colonial Secretary with the big four: Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Premier of the West Region; Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Federal Prime Minister; Alhajii Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto, Premier of the North Region; Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Premier of the East Region.

Pls stop misinforming people, point of correction. Nnamdi Azikiwe ( Zik of Africa) is the First President of Republic of Nigeria not Premier of Eastern Region as u mentioned. Micheal Okpara is the Premier of Eastern Region and Obafemi Awolowo is the Premier of Western Region and also Ahmado Bello is the Premier of Northern Region. Nnamdi Azikiwe( First President of Nigeria) and Tafawa Balewa( Prime Minister of Nigeria) are the Big 2 in Nigeria and they are not in the same level with Obafemi Awolowo. Ahmado Bello, Micheal Okpara and Obafemi Awolowo are premier of their various Regions and they are in the same level.
Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by na2day(m): 1:06pm On Apr 13, 2013
Quaritch: Alhassan Dantata(1880- 1955) Businessman.
Born in Bebeji Kano to the famous Agalawa Trading family he started out selling kolanuts, textiles and beads in Lagos, Ibadan and Accra. In 1912 he entered the ground-nut trade and became the main produce buyer for UAC covering the whole of Northern Nigeria. He was the patriarch of the Dantata business empire with interests in foreign exchange, pilgrim travel, transport, oil mills and real estate. At one time he was the richest man in West Africa. His granddaughter Mariya is the mother of Aliko Dangote who was listed by Forbes Magazine in 2012 as the richest black man in the World with a net worth of $11.2b.

Walahi!
The great grandfather of Dangote?
The thing runs in the family o! grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Ibime(m): 1:07pm On Apr 13, 2013
Quaritch: Biafran Airforce Pilots. From left Gunnar Hagland, Willy Murray-Bruce, Carl Gustav Von-Rosen, August Okpe, Martin Lang. Pre-mission planning meeting. 1969

An airforce of 5 men. . . . Gangstas!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by Ibime(m): 1:09pm On Apr 13, 2013
Quaritch: Major Nzeogwu Speaks about the Night he killed the Sardauna.mp4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ2pcLO9HSc via @youtube

This dude was just a fearless young man. They don't make young men like this anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria History Makers In Pictures by abbk000: 1:11pm On Apr 13, 2013
Mary Slessor in Calabar

Mary Sessor and her adopted Nigerian children.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Photo Of Senator Godswill Akpabio On His Hospital Bed In London / Soldiers Invade, Burn Bilabiri Ekeremor Bayelsa Over Killing Of 4 Naval Officers / Dino Melaye Visits Bourdillon Street In Lagos - See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.