Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,891 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt (3914 Views)

US Oil, Not Threat To Nigeria –presidency / Us Oil War Crimes, / Africa - Next US Oil War Venue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by loma(m): 7:54pm On May 10, 2006
US oil worker killed in Nigeria

A US oil worker has been shot dead in the troubled southern Nigerian city of Port Harcourt.
Rivers State Police Commissioner Samuel Agbetuyi told the BBC attackers on a motorbike shot the man as he was driving his car early on Wednesday.

The BBC's Abdullahi Kaura Abubakar says this is first time a foreigner has been killed in a drive-by shooting in the Niger Delta.

No group has claimed responsibility. Police are investigating the shooting.

The man's name has been withheld. He worked for oil servicing company Baker Hughes Inc.

In recent months, militants in the southern Niger Delta region have kidnapped foreign oil workers and warned them to leave the Delta. They want more local control of the region's oil wealth.

The upsurge of attacks on foreign oil interests has cut the country's oil production by 20%.

Last month, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) renewed its threat to continue oil installation attacks.

It said the offer of thousands more jobs and a new motorway from President Olusegun Obasanjo did not address their demands for more local control of oil wealth and demilitarisation.

The shooting follows two car bomb attacks in recent weeks.

The Mend militant group claimed responsibility for them, saying the last one was a warning against Chinese expansion in the region.

Earlier that week, Chinese President Hu Jintao had secured four oil drilling licenses for China in return for $4bn (£2.25bn) of investment in Nigeria.

Most of its previous operations have been in the rivers and creeks of the Delta, rather than urban areas.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by Seun(m): 2:27am On May 11, 2006
Source, please?
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by mochafella(m): 2:31am On May 11, 2006
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by Seun(m): 2:52am On May 11, 2006
More:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4758623.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5813096,00.html
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/west_africa/0,2172,127204,00.html

The MEND is not claiming responsibility for this one.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by DaHitler(m): 5:06am On May 11, 2006
It's time for the government to crack-down. This madness must be brought to an end.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by LadyB(f): 5:22am On May 11, 2006
this is so sad. why all this everytime shooting shooting in port harcourt sef?
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by OlaAjia(m): 6:28am On May 11, 2006
Hey guys,
I'm very disgusted and irritated at this news, even worse, CNN has really insulted us. They have soothe coated our country and made everybody seem bad.
I am wondering at this moment, why is it when things seem to just be getting better that a few sadists among us just get up to derep our image? I feel so sad. Why cant we just be patient and wait for things to get better? China for instance, is really doing great as the world fastest growing economy, but it has not yet been able to cater for all it's people. So should those that have not yet been catered for start killng investors and crash the economy back to Zero level? I wish us good luck in 9ja.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by Ashiwaju(m): 7:55am On May 11, 2006
Well in Nigeria, where you find aboundant resources, you find violence and the closer you are to natural resources the poorer you become. its odd but thats the tradition in nigeria. No be US workers alone them go kill, if bush sef come them go kill am, cus these people are damn too frostrated and we have got no other person to blame but our Govy's and the presi himself.

Its so sad, indeed so sad but wetin we go do?
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by bernieman(m): 8:36am On May 11, 2006
This is a very sad news o hear.For God sake why should this degenerate to this level of killing foreigners.This is not the way out of this problem.I suggest they start killing their Royal fathers,community leaders,Governors and government officials because the "insufficient" share of the cake that is even given to the Niger Deltans is shared by these people.By doing this,their problems will be solved by 20% than killing foreigners and causing themselves more problems.I wish Nigeria and Nigerians goodluck.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by DaHitler(m): 9:43am On May 11, 2006
Assassination of foreigners is one sure way to commit economic suicide in a developing nation. Keep up MEND and co. at this rate, you and your degenerates would starve to death in the comming years.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by pssword: 10:37am On May 11, 2006
Granted this is not the right way to about things, but now they can now be heard in far far away places, even very important places. Obviously they have tried to reason with this government but to no avail. This guys have been pushed to this action. Do not get me wrong, I don't condone or agree with violence. But when the government is busy chasing this their Third Term Agenda, which for these people mostly likely means a continuation of their plight, given that nothing has changed for them in the past 7 yrs, why are we surprised at the escalation of the violence? Now we are dealing with trapped animals, it will get worse not better, cry
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by ono(m): 10:56am On May 11, 2006
pssword:

Granted this is not the right way to about things, but now they can now be heard in far far away places, even very important places. Obviously they have tried to reason with this government but to no avail. This guys have been pushed to this action. Do not get me wrong, I don't condone or agree with violence. But when the government is busy chasing this their Third Term Agenda, which for these people mostly likely means a continuation of their plight, given that nothing has changed for them in the past 7 years, why are we surprised at the escalation of the violence? Now we are dealing with trapped animals, it will get worse not better, cry

I just hope you're not referring to the Nigerdelta people as trapped animals. I think all ye non-Niger Deltan better heed the advice of some of the dangerous ones amongst us - MEND, and pack your bag and luggages and leave PH and Warri for good. Go back to Cocoa and groundnut farming and feed your siblings with whatever you realise from that one.

We will exploit all that the good Lord has given us (including Palm oil, Rubber, Fishes, Water, and other natural resources) without the dictates of some dirty people from other places.

The fear of MEND is the beginnig of Wisdom for non indigenes in the Republic of the Niger Delta.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by sergio(m): 11:38am On May 11, 2006
@ Ono

I hope u are not one of this MEND guys. cos i am coming right at u personally.

Our social and economic image is being tarnished, we cant just sit and watch, the government has to do something about it. i, personally, as a nigerian hate to be branded 'violent'
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by nuggard(m): 11:50am On May 11, 2006
I used to be an obj supporter but not any more. I KNOW that the people of the Niger Delta are suffering, we dont need grammer to know this, Yet obj always launches a fire brigade situation when there is trouble in the region.-"one elders forum after the other"._I am very much in support of their demands,my tactics may differ from theirs but their cry is genuine.

Second thought-->rather than Nigerians and In this case nairalanders being more conscious of international perception of Nigeria, we should be in solidarity not with the NDelta man, but with everyone suffering in Nigeria.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by DaHitler(m): 11:53am On May 11, 2006
A lot of people are suffering, but there is no evidence to suggest that the Niger-Deltans are suffering any more than other parts of the country.

Also, it is not like they just began suffering. They sufferened under Abacha and before that. Why didnt they launch there attacks when the rest of the world was watching Nigeria under the rule of a despot. Now that we have a Democratic government and things are getting better, is not the time to cause trouble.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by ono(m): 11:54am On May 11, 2006
sergio:

@ Ono

I hope u are not one of this MEND guys. because i am coming right at u personally.

Our social and economic image is being tarnished, we can't just sit and watch, the government has to do something about it. i, personally, as a nigerian hate to be branded 'violent'

Sergeant at Arms,
The MEND folks have not claimed responsibility for the killing of the American oil chief. At best, what we've heard is that it might be an ''internal thing'' where the felled American works, so don't just bring MEND into this matter.

And this ''your'' socio-economic image is better felt up there in Abuja. You must understand that the average NigerDeltan does not give a damn about such things. He's been paupersied, abused and killed over the years because he lives near an oil well, with the resources that should have been used to better his lot channeled to such places like Abuja, Kano, Kaduna, Kwara, Lagos and Otta to develop such places.

Daily, you folks in Abuja enjoy all of the basic amenities of this life and care less about what happens down here. It only concerns you when the money is not coming in anymore. Just imagine all that oil money have turned Abuja into and you want to come after me in Warri.

Well, let me warn you. Warri is a very dangerous place to catch someone like Ono. It's just like going after a ferocious lion, when he's in his den. He'll tear the victim to shreds!! Be warned.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by DaHitler(m): 12:09pm On May 11, 2006
Ono, people like you that incite and promote the loser low-lives thugs in the Niger-Delta to cause trouble should be dealt with. There are laws against what you are doing. Heck, it might fall under treason which is punishable by death. I sure would hate for you to end up on trial for not watching your tongue, my friend. cool
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by nuggard(m): 12:22pm On May 11, 2006
Afeni I suspect that you are a yoruba man like me and I am disappointed that you can't get off your high pedestal of being a moralist. You argument faulting the time of MEND's cry is crass. What other time time is there , there is an increasing consciousness that things can be better-I can't see senators rolling in latest cars and be content when my farm can't even produce yam.For crying out loud there is supposed to be a semblance of Democracy+(at least.)+

Look in as much as you lambast MEND I will respect them for not arse kissing like 109-a few senators. Neither are the talking like all Nairalanders they are acting.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by DaHitler(m): 12:30pm On May 11, 2006
Acting, as in humillitating the State. I won't have a problem with MEND if they acted when it was called for. Under the days of Abacha, I didn't see a lot of acting going on from these degenerates. But when there is a civilized Government in place, they take advantage of it.

If the Federal government does not crack-down, this would just pave the way for all sorts of "actors" to destroy the State. (Not exactly sure it would be a bad thing)
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by nuggard(m): 12:37pm On May 11, 2006
------------------------------no comments again-----------------------------------------------
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by sergio(m): 12:47pm On May 11, 2006
@ Ono

I can tell you that what is keeping the government from taking care of these MEND guys(ono inclusive) is this third term hullabalo, once this political dust has settled, the govt can now sit back, strategise, and take these guys out in one sweep. Ono watch out, what will happen to nigerdelta militants will unfold like an indian film b4 you
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by Hunter(m): 1:03pm On May 11, 2006
In response to the recent outbreak's the Australian Department of Foreign affair's has issued a "Do Not Travel" advisory to River's state and surrounding regions.

See here
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Nigeria

This places river state next to afganistan and iraq undecided
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by opeemi1(m): 1:08pm On May 11, 2006
Hmmmmmmmmmm! This Kind of problems is really bad at this time when the preparation of the elections is still taken place.

This will count amongst the bad records of the country, which will certainly affect the economy which ain't good at all.

I just pray for Gods intervention in this cos I don't see what the government are doing now. cool
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by DaHitler(m): 1:16pm On May 11, 2006
I have an idea, maybe if people prayed less for "God's intervention" and actually put pressure on the Niger-Deltan people, the issue would be resolved peacefully. Enough of this defeatist attitude.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by owo(m): 1:20pm On May 11, 2006
Thank you (@Afeni)  for the "fast, sharp and conclusive" investigation that you have conducted on the killers of the US guy.  Even the Nigerian Government has not been able to pinpoint any of the killers of the numerous, high profile,  murders that has taken place in the land for the last 7 years.
Fortunately, Nothing can be more wrong than your conclusion.

For your information, there has been lots of internal squabbles within Baker Hughes Nigeria,  and some people have even been sacked in the recent past. This is in addition to the problems it had (along with halliburton) in the case of tax evasion and bribery in Nigeria, Angola and Indonesia. The bribery charges  prompted its investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commision since 2002.

please read the following and re-post your comments
1. http://www.bakerhughes.com/investor/information/pdf/2005/2005_10K_Part_I.pdf - page 15
2. http://www.misleader.org/pdf/specialreport1_bandofbrothers.pdf -  page 7, among others.

If you still maintain your view, then I challenge you to answer the following questions
1. What are the deals (bribery inclusive) that have been carried out by the victim's employers.
2. What is the role of this man in these deals?

For sure, the same Nigerian Police that has not been able to trace the killers of the country's serving Minister of Justice under their very nose will be very glad to join you in your conceited conclusion
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by Rottweiler(m): 1:29pm On May 11, 2006
Afeni:

A lot of people are suffering, but there is no evidence to suggest that the Niger-Deltans are suffering any more than other parts of the country.

Also, it is not like they just began suffering. They sufferened under Abacha and before that. Why didnt they launch there attacks when the rest of the world was watching Nigeria under the rule of a despot. Now that we have a Democratic government and things are getting better, is not the time to cause trouble.

@Afeni    and   others
It's a pity that a life was lost. I can see that you know nothing about the Niger Delta and Port Harcourt in particular. If you go deeper you would find out that not every incident down here is carried out by MEND. I believe this was just an isolated case. If I were to be IPO handling the investigation into the shooting, my searchlight would be on the late guy's company. The guy must have stepped on the toes of a clique there. It happens. I know of a guy in an oil servicing company ( a nigerian) who was attacked and left for dead because he was about exposing the fraudulent deals of some of his colleagues. He was really lucky.

About insurgence not occuring during the military era:  THE BOYS WERE NOT EXPOSED TO ARMS AND AMMUNITION THEN!  With the advent of democracy, wealthy politicians decided to arm jobless boys for security and other evil reason. They used them to kill their opponents, steal ballot boxes, intimidate people, etc.  The guys are now into illegal bunkering from where they get foreign exchange and they can buy any weapon through the buyers of illegal crude oil who berth on the atlantic

When next you visit naija, you should take a trip to Abuja, Warri, Bayelsa and Port Harcourt. Just do this and you will stop saying what you don't know.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by ono(m): 1:49pm On May 11, 2006
@ Owo and Rotty,
My brothers, the likes of Sergeant at Arms and Afeni do not think in the direction you guys have just described. I would not be surprised that they belong to the long forgotten sect of those who believe that they were born to rule, even in this day and age of reasoning and infotech. I pity them. Their types are even worse than degenerates that Afeni refers to as the Nigerdelta people. They are cheap opportunistic few, who delights in other peoples sufferings. Uninformed lot!

Afeni wants to know why we did not strike during Abacha, well I put it to him that the likes of Abiola who put up such an escapade is lying ''peacefully?'' in his grave. I bet the Yorubas could not muster enough courage to face Abacha when their Aare Ona kakanfo was felled by the brutal maximum ruler. Even General Diya, a trained lawyer, was so brutally treated that he literally forgot to pronounce the words ''masterminds'' properly. He blurted out the words masterminder instead. It was even during this time that our icon, Kenule Saro-Wiwa was felled by thesame Abacha, so, you are being myopic for you to say we did not put up any resistance under bad leadership.

Afeni and serge should be told that the MEND boys are adequately equipped to counter any resistance from any angle. And they have the backings and goodwill of well meaning NigerDelta people.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by pssword: 1:59pm On May 11, 2006
Ono, it is a shame that it appears that you have taken my use of metaphor literally, I can only hope it was a joke and that you have indeed heard the phrase "cornered/trapped animal" in reference to behaviour.

Afeni, I should be surprised but I'm not really because anything concerning Nigeria is often considered along tribal lines. What else could explain some of the things that you have written which smacks of insensitivity and outright tribalism. I wonder if you have ever been to the nigerdelta to see the plight of the people, I wonder if you have ever seen mothers give their children contaminated water to drink b/c that's what is available. But there are asked to understand these things while Mr Presdo launches a new jet. Nigeria's wealth come from the neck of the woods, but they are the some of the most maligned people in Nigeria. Yu talk of Abacha's time but conveniently forget about Ken Saro wiwa, ohh lest I forget he was not from the right tribe, so it doesn't matter. The struggles of the Niger delta have been going on for a very long time, MEND is just a new, maybe militant face. People in other parts of Nigeria are suffering I do not disagree, but in that Nigerdelta this is compounded by environmental disasters, military suppression (regularly) , inter-tribal strife etc, I could go on and on, but you have to go and see this for yourself to believe it.  The plight of the people in those camps in somalia do not hold a candle to what I'm talking about.

And if anybody thinks that MEND will just go away or it can be delta with etc., then they have another thing coming. This is not 1967 things have changed. Russia has been battling with chetchnya (sp), look at Iraq the mighty us cannot  subdue the militia. If the Nigerian state wishes to engage in guerilla warfare they can go ahead and lock horns with them.  The only way forward is through dialogue and respect of their views and condition,
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by ono(m): 2:05pm On May 11, 2006
@Password,
Well I read your entry in a hurry. It's OK. Now I know better.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by pssword: 2:13pm On May 11, 2006
@ ono

Cool wink
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by DaHitler(m): 2:20pm On May 11, 2006
Ono, what do you want Obasonja to do about the Niger-Delta problem?

You do know that he couldn't raise the 13 percent oil allocation to 50 percent even if he wanted.

The power to budget and raise revenue is controlled by the National Assembly. Hence, lobby the National Assembly for what you want, do not go around destroying and harming innocent civilians. It is not like the Senators and House Reps in the North, South West and South East give a damn how many innocent people you kill in the name of self determination.

It is up to you guys to make the case to the National Assembly that the current allocation of 13 percent is not enough considering the environmental damage that is being caused by the drilling oil. It is up to you to show the general public that while you are making proper use of the current funds (e.g. new roads/schools e.t.c.) you still have a lower standard of living than the rest of the nation. Under a democratic system of government, the smart and most efficient rule.

I read in another post how the federal government has spent countless millions of Dollars building roads in the South West. Well, Do you not have Senators and members of representatives from the south-south?

In Nigeria, the National Assembly is allowed to attach spending amendments that are of benefit to their constituents. Why are the Niger-Deltan members of the National Assembly not on TV daily requesting for government funds for new roads, schools, and hospitals? Honestly, the problem of the Niger-Delta appears to be one of failure of leadership. The leaders from those States are either not qualified, or dedicated enough to carry out their responsibilities.

It might be time that you stop looking for Mr. Charming to rule you, and instead look for sensible people that are armed with Degrees in Finance, Accounting, Economic e.t.c and know a thing or two about public speaking. Remember, just because he is a "Local man" doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about.
Re: US Oil Worker Killed In Port Harcourt by ono(m): 2:32pm On May 11, 2006
@Afeni,
I'm happy you're gradually chilling out. I won't reply you now, I'm busy. My brothers will attend to you in no time, and I'm sure they will deal with all these your outbursts very well.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Change Has Come To Benue-speech By Prof Steve Ugbah(acn Gubernatorial Candidate) / Should The Goverment Legalise And Promote Refineries As SMSEs / No Plans To Reshuffle Ministers Now – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.