Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,408 members, 7,861,151 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:49 AM

Are Men Smarter Than Women? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Men Smarter Than Women? (5101 Views)

Poll: Are men smarter than women?

Yes: 45% (28 votes)
No: 54% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / 7 Hobbies Science Says Will Make You Smarter. / Jacob Barnett, 14, With Asperger's Syndrome, May Be Smarter Than Einstein! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by beyunce(f): 9:04am On May 18, 2006
Defoly not.

At all not.
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by bolex(m): 12:43pm On May 18, 2006
well

God created everybody the same

Men

Women

We all smart in god's sight

END OF STORY
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by maki(f): 1:12pm On May 18, 2006
yes agreed we are all smart in God's sight but

we are still smarter than you guys in a little winy tiny kind of way grin grin
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by ldollier(f): 7:27pm On May 18, 2006
maki:

yes agreed we are all smart in God's sight but

we are still smarter than you guys in a little winy tiny kind of way grin grin

NO, we are not all smart oo

but as for men being smarter than women. well i will answer this question from experience. i think someone's culture plays a role in determining how smart the person is.

for example, asians guys are highly intelligent. why? i don't know. caucasian guys are highly intelligent and sucessfull. why i don't know? and so on and so forth, but African American guys at least the ones i have encountered are how can i put this, in the nicest way a little bit slower than other men.

when it comes to females, African American girls are highly intelligent and very successful, caucasian girls are highly intelligent, but hispanic girls some of them are a little bit slower than others.

so, basically there isn't really a basic answer to this question. but ehh since i am a female, i will play the biased card and say that females are smarter than men. others can contradict the aformentioned statements by saying that "since, the most notable and succesfull people in the world are males, therefore males are smarter"

but who really cares, as long as the person is making good money
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by dakmanzero(m): 10:13am On May 19, 2006
I was kind of nodding my head to your post until the bit where you contradict yourself  by saying that african american girls (same culture as the african american guys) are generally highly succesful and intelligent.

Not to propose anything to the contrary, but you should take note of these two facts:

1) Your point is to prove that intelligence may be more culture-dependent than gender-dependent

2) You are an African Female

These, combined with your statement, have punched holes throughout your argument. If *you* are highly succesful and intelligent, it shouldnt detract from what you have observed about the *generality* of Africans, and thus shouldnt lead you to add a subtle bias to your otherwise wellbalanced post.
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by chinani(f): 11:09am On May 19, 2006
@dakmanzero
I liked your post. But when she says African American blah blah blah she is referring to reputable stats in America. In yankee, A-A females are much more likely to graduate from high school. In Cali only half the blacks who enter high school, graduate and most of the drop outs are boys. That's indicative of the country. A-A females outnumber A-A males nearly 7 or 8 to 1 in Uni! Can you imagine!? And that's only the 1st (bachelor's) degree. They also outnumber in graduate & professional schools but I don't have the stat on those. How can you have success w/o an education?

But you are right. It is culturally in regards to the A-A community. They all want their daughters to be smart but their sons? Let's just say they don't want their sons to be "soft" or "sissies" or "punks" or "nerds". It's a dramatic thing here. Even in Uni some A-A men will put down others & the only difference between them is academic committment. But if the "black" man is Naija, no dey yarn. They already know bout us. wink

Anyhow, ldollier's post was clouded only by stats. But, yes it's cultural. How you been livin?

1 Like

Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by ldollier(f): 12:18pm On May 19, 2006
dakmanzero:

I was kind of nodding my head to your post until the bit where you contradict yourself  by saying that african american girls (same culture as the african american guys) are generally highly succesful and intelligent.

Not to propose anything to the contrary, but you should take note of these two facts:

1) Your point is to prove that intelligence may be more culture-dependent than gender-dependent

2) You are an African Female

These, combined with your statement, have punched holes throughout your argument. If *you* are highly succesful and intelligent, it shouldnt detract from what you have observed about the *generality* of Africans, and thus shouldnt lead you to add a subtle bias to your otherwise wellbalanced post.

i meant to say, culture play a role in determining which gender is smarter, maybe you didnt really understand my post

there is a difference between African American and Africans

as chinani said, my answer was based on general assumptions(stats) and it was also based by my own experiences. thats
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by dakmanzero(m): 3:32pm On May 19, 2006
@Chinani, Ive been ok. Hope you've been well!

I suppose that my mistake was assuming she grouped all africans underneath the banner of 'African Americans', as is commonly done!

Similarly it appears she is discussing the gender discrimination as a culturally-induced phenomenon, in which case it makes sense (and she's absolved from the bias accusation, cos she obviously isn't african american!!!!! Afterall this is nairaland! cheesy )

On that note, I suppose I agree.

On a related tangent- its kind of like over here where among easterners, the daughters are encouraged to do well at school, while the sons are encouraged to be 'smart' and 'rich' even at the expense of their grades.

You'll find that daughters of well-to-do easterners generally speak better and appear more educated than their brothers, who are more traditional but much more worldly-wise.

Among Yorubas you'll find that academic achievements by the girls are generally ignored- she is encouraged to find a good husband and stuff all else. The boys are encouraged to 'be successful', which generally means piling on titles, academic religious or otherwise, and building a house.

This may make it seem like one gender is supposedly smarter- but then they may just be socialized to be smarter?
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by eveseh(f): 3:33pm On May 19, 2006
men are dumb tongue
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by LindaM1(f): 7:13am On May 20, 2006
Gimme a break - someone, anyone PLEASE define "smart"!!!  Only when there's a consensus on the definition of the word, and only then, can there be a real debate!  Is being "smart" being able to memorize the first 50 digits of pi?  Or is it continuing to feed your family when you've lost your job, or your home?  Is being "smart" giving up a self-destructive addiction once and for all?  Or is it amassing millions of dollars through some scam?  Could "smart" be the basis for one ethnic group's ability to survive hundreds of years of subjugation, slavery and second-class citizenship?  Or could "smart" be the basis for another ethnic group's ability to exploit the natural resources of a foreign country in order to survive?  Hell, I think my dog is smart.  When I tell him to "shake", I don't think he raises his paw out of some slavish devotion to me, rather he does so because he knows he's going to get a biscuit. When he sees me heading out the door, he grabs his collar and leash - he wants to go for a ride, too. I think that's "smart". But should I also think my dog is dumb because he ignores my requests for him to come back into the house?  Some posts pointed to certain ethnic groups excelling academically, and to others as being "slow" (I thought this was particularly unfair, and baseless).  From a purely logical standpoint, I contend that this question cannot be answered until there is presented a standard definition of the word "smart".
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by Nia: 9:47pm On May 20, 2006
@ chinani, I was nodding along in agreement to your post until I got to this part:

chinani:

It is culturally in regards to the A-A community. They all want their daughters to be smart but their sons? Let's just say they don't want their sons to be "soft" or "sissies" or "punks" or "f*****" or "nerds". It's a dramatic thing here. Even in Uni some A-A men will put down on others & the only difference between them is academic committment.
No parents in their right mind would allow their children to forgo education because they don't want them to be "punks" or "sissies". The problems within the AA community is vast and not as simplistic as it is being viewed. The effects of slavery is still very present among AAs. When we completely disregard it we do injustice to AAs and the facts that people are only human.
For example, the culture of single motherhood and fathers abandoning their children within the AA community. This is a remnant of days when black fathers were not allowed to take care of their children because as soon as they were able to work, the children would be sold. AAs were never given the chance to form concrete family structures. 
Now, let me clarify that there's nothing wrong with being a single mother. There are many women out there who do excellent jobs in raising their children.
However, there are others who face challenges at this task. When you are a single parent, you are the only financial contributor in your family. This means that unless you have a great job that pays well, you are prolly working at two, sometimes three  jobs to take care of your family. The more you work, the less time you have to spend with your children, less time to help them with their homework, talk to them about school, encourage them when they feel discouraged. At times, your TV start playing your role. 
Now why is it that even though both males and females go through this, the males often come out worse, that is, less educated than the females. There are many explanations but a few is that the influence of a parent who is unable to spend enough time with their children is gradually replaced by T.V.  If you notice, the negative lifestyles in Hip-Hop and rap, the get rich quick or die trying messages etc,  targets black males, and devalues the importance of education. I think there are many self-destructive cultures within the AA community and it should be noted. However, one cannot disregard other uncontrollable problems in the community, including racism.
You could prolly write endless pages on this topic, but anyways,

But claiming that Africans are somehow superior makes one wonder how, with all our resources in Africa, why we can't get ourselves together, we keep allowing crooks and corrupt politicians to rule our country, to keep our people in poverty and oppressed, and when it's all said and done, these leaders did not come from mars, they come from the same place and same culture we come from. In any case, without AA's past contributions, I doubt Africans can come to a country like the US and feel comfortable.
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by chinani(f): 12:57am On May 22, 2006
@Nia
Whoa! WHoa Whoa! I never claimed that Africans are superior to anyone. I was responding to a specific point which I thought would clarify things to Dakmanzero and others. I did suggest that the disparity btw African males & females in college & Unis in America is very small

Secondly, I do recognize the effects of racism & slavery on the black community. As you said, I could write pages. But since we're on the same page, I won't.

But my dear, the disparity has more to do with the influence of t.v. Remember, black women are the most demeaned women on this planet, in America especially. So that should affect men more than women. The saying goes, "Charity starts at home." So with other things. It all begins in the home. So a disparity btw men & women in college - any race - has to do with the home. And a disparity of 7 to 1! Haba! The tele ain't doing all that.

@Dakmanzero
I can't complain. Thanks for the insight.
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by Oracle(m): 5:13am On May 22, 2006
There no point arguing over somthing we know
MEN ARE DEFINITELY SMARTER
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by Nia: 5:14am On May 22, 2006
@ Chinani
I wasn't trying to be offensive and we can all learn from each other through these discussions cheesy smiley  smiley smiley smiley

chinani:

@Nia
Whoa! WHoa Whoa! I never claimed that Africans are superior to anyone. I was responding to a specific point which I thought would clarify things to Dakmanzero and others. I did suggest that the disparity between African males & females in college & Unis in America is very small
I was refferring to what you said when you said this.   
But if the "black" man is Naija, no dey yarn. They already know bout us.  wink
If your intention was not to claim superiority, it is well noted. It's just that some people like to claim superiority to African Americans, ignoring the fact that Africans, too, have their problems.

chinani:

But my dear, the disparity has more to do with the influence of t.v. Remember, black women are the most demeaned women on this planet, in America especially. So that should affect men more than women. The saying goes, "Charity starts at home." So with other things. It all begins in the home. So a disparity between men & women in college - any race - has to do with the home. And a disparity of 7 to 1! Haba! The tele ain't doing all that.

This is what I wrote:
There are many explanations but a few is that the influence of a parent who is unable to spend enough time with their children is gradually replaced by T.V.  If you notice, the negative lifestyles in Hip-Hop and rap, the get rich quick or die trying messages etc,  targets black males, and devalues the importance of education.

There's a difference between turning a group of people into sexual objects (as is the case with AA women) and encouraging people to forgo education and "get rich quick or die trying" (as it the case for AA men). Demeaning women does not authomatically translate to "forgo education". Females and males receive different messages from the media, and since we're discussing the "educational disparities" it is fitting that we focus on those that influence why people are not getting education. One cannot negate the effect of the media on (young) people.
Like I stated in my earlier and in the above quote, the reasons are vast. One of them--along with the ones I stated earlier-- being that females usually have the advantage of a female role model, i.e. their mother, while the males usually do not have the advantage of a male role model, i.e. their father. Men and women go through life differently and when these role models are absent, it presents/contributes to the problem. And yes, you're right that we're prolly on the same side than not, especially in the fact that we both recognize that there's a problem (in the AA community) that needs to be addressed.
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by chinani(f): 3:51pm On May 22, 2006
Nia:
I was refferring to what you said when you said this. If your intention was not to claim superiority, it is well noted. It's just that some people like to claim superiority to African Americans, ignoring the fact that Africans, too, have their problems.
I see what you mean. Good point. wink I should have wrote "in my experience" b/c I'm sure it's not always that way.

Nia:
There's a difference between turning a group of people into sexual objects (as is the case with AA women) and encouraging people to forgo education and "get rich quick or die trying" (as it the case for AA men). Demeaning women does not authomatically translate to "forgo education".
I disagree with this. I think the turning women into sexual objects destroys their self respect & self esteem. W/o self respect & self esteem women are not able to live up to their full potential and mostly run from one man to another. To me the "get rich or die trying" for boys & the "where the ballas at?" for girls are one in the same.

Nia:
One of them--along with the ones I stated earlier-- being that females usually have the advantage of a female role model, i.e. their mother, while the males usually do not have the advantage of a male role model, i.e. their father.
I also respectfully disagree with this point. While many single mothers are good role models, the single family household is really home to many problems with - as you've noted many orgins & sources - and the HUGE one is DRUGS. Some of these mothers on drugs. Black single mothers are the fastest growing population in American prisons b/c of drug abuse. And if you watch tele you will see that most drug abusers aren't immediately arrested etc. This means that children grow up watching their mothers on drugs etc. I actually know a few ppl personally who had mothers who smoked mj when they were kids and they're like "That's hood life. E'ery body's momma was at my house w/ her anyways." I think that has a lasting effect. undecided Also DAUGHTERS NEED FATHERS AS MUCH AS THEIR SONS. Imagine what the world would be if all women GREW UP with the love of man? Might not be as many teen pregnancies. undecided

Nia:

@ Chinani
I wasn't trying to be offensive and we can all learn from each other through these discussions cheesy smiley smiley smiley smiley
And yes, you're right that we're prolly on the same side than not, especially in the fact that we both recognize that there's a problem (in the AA community) that needs to be addressed.
I'm glad you feel the same way. smiley
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by Nia: 1:53am On May 23, 2006
chinani:

I see what you mean. Good point. wink I should have wrote "in my experience" b/c I'm sure it's not always that way.
I disagree with this. I think the turning women into sexual objects destroys their self respect & self esteem. W/o self respect & self esteem women are not able to live up to their full potential and mostly run from one man to another. To me the "get rich or die trying" for boys & the "where the ballas at?" for girls are one in the same.
I also respectfully disagree with this point. While many single mothers are good role models, the single family household is really home to many problems with - as you've noted many orgins & sources - and the HUGE one is DRUGS. Some of these mothers on drugs. Black single mothers are the fastest growing population in American prisons b/c of drug abuse. And if you watch tele you will see that most drug abusers aren't immediately arrested etc. This means that children grow up watching their mothers on drugs etc. I actually know a few people personally who had mothers who smoked mj when they were kids and they're like "That's hood life. E'ery body's momma was at my house w/ her anyways." I think that has a lasting effect. undecided Also DAUGHTERS NEED FATHERS AS MUCH AS THEIR SONS. Imagine what the world would be if all women GREW UP with the love of man? Might not be as many teen pregnancies. undecided
I'm glad you feel the same way. smiley

Chinani, all of your points are valid and they go back to the fact that the problems facing AAs are vast. However, since we are discussing those that play a role in the discrepensies between the two sexes when it comes to attaining college education and my objection to the idea that "the males are encouraged [by their parents] not to  pursue college education because they don't want them to be "punks" or "sissies", we must look at those factors that are related to this part of the problem. Yes, drugs are a problem among AAs and should we dig deeper, one would discover the racists aspect of how AAs are more likely to be prosecuted for drugs than their white counterparts who commit the same crime. However, I don't see how this negates the fact that the lack of a male presence in the household contribute to the problems that negatively affect males. When you say that some women develop low self-esteem because they're being sexualized by the media, I don't see how this translates to "getting rich quick and ignoring education". Yes, the media impacts the two sexes, but it does so in different manners to contribute to the ills of the AA community and if we're talking about the impact education-wise, I am yet to see the research that states that "having low self-esteem" will cause you to forgo a college education.
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by chinani(f): 2:59am On May 23, 2006
@Nia
I'd like to agree to disagree. We both recognize that "the problems facing the AA community are vast" and complex. Let's leave the rest for another day. Shall we?
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by Nia: 3:59am On May 23, 2006
chinani:

@Nia
I'd like to agree to disagree. We both recognize that "the problems facing the AA community are vast" and complex. Let's leave the rest for another day. Shall we?

Sure thing.
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by messiah(m): 10:37am On May 29, 2006
d qsn aint specific enuf! being smarter in wot? academics,business,leadership, i need more specificity! but 1 thin i'm sure is dat women r damn smarter dan men wen it comes 2 shopping in d market!
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by blasterman(m): 11:18am On Sep 04, 2006
ppl remeber that Eve deceived our ancestor Adam so neva under estimate them. very cunny lots

1 Like

Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by kobe(m): 10:44am On Jan 11, 2007
Are Men Smarter than Women?

Not if we hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights.

It evens out.  At Undergraduate schools, why are men the large majority in Engineering fields while women are more abundant in Nursing departments?
because we are endowed by our divine creator with varying unalienable talents.  Men are more gifted at distinct activities than women - vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by diyobdw(f): 2:43pm On Jan 11, 2007
undecided
Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by Cosjo(m): 7:25pm On Dec 13, 2008
women are smarter then men, take it from me

1 Like

Re: Are Men Smarter Than Women? by Muza(m): 9:01pm On Dec 13, 2008
why ask a question,when we all know the fcukin obvious answer.
A man is,has and will always be smarter than a woman.
Wat ever a man does,a woman has to do it twice as good to be thought half as good. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Admission To Sandwich Degree Programmes For 2015/2016. / "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences) / Photo Of Male Hostel At The Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.