Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,730 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

How To Prevent Underarm Odor. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Prevent Underarm Odor. (31243 Views)

Say Goodbye To Underarm Odor Forever With These 10 Effective Home Remedies ! / How Can Vagina Odor Be Fought? / How To Prevent Yellow Underarm Stains... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by rodeo0070(m): 12:39pm On Apr 15, 2013
A strong armpit odor or armpit smell can result in embarrassment and lack of self-confidence. So, how to prevent underarm odor? There are many remedies available so that you can confidently walk into any situation without worrying about any smell emanating from you.

Underarm odor or armpit smell can be extremely pungent and unpleasant. Most often, underarm odor is associated with underarm sweating. Although sweating is a natural process the body goes through in order to regulate body temperature, it is generally odorless. The odor, under the arm, is the result of bacteria acting with the sweat. Most often, antiperspirants do the needful in eliminating sweat, thereby, eliminating armpit odor. However, there are other factors that can be taken into consideration to prevent your underarms from giving off unpleasant odors.

How to Prevent Underarm Odor?

If you suffer with sweaty and smelly armpits, you should consider the advice mentioned below as it can save you much discomfort and embarrassment.

Keep Body Clean - Bacteria thrive on warm, moist areas of the body. As this is what causes armpit smell, you need to do whatever it takes to get rid of the culprit. The first line of defense is cleanliness. Cleanliness is very important to destroying bacteria. Showering more than once a day may be necessary if living in a hot country. Using deodorant soaps with antibacterial agents and ensuring dry towels to wipe with can help eliminate bacteria.

Use Deodorants and Antiperspirants at Bedtime - Although using deodorants during the day is recommended, you should also consider doing so at bedtime too. This way, the protective ingredients in the deodorant can do its magic as the skin is more receptive to them at night and the effects of the deodorant will last throughout the day.

Use Baking Soda or Baby Powder - Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and cleanser. Although this does not stop perspiration, the properties in it make sweat less "appetizing" to bacteria. Another method of managing armpit odor is by using baby powder. It reduces wetness and the pleasant smell overrides the armpit odor.

Wear Breathable Clothing - Cotton and wool are excellent materials to keep the armpit smell away. It enables the circulation of air and keeps the moisture away. Considering breathable fabrics is one way of getting rid of armpit odor.

Clean and Dry Underarms - One factor that causes underarm sweating and odor is hair. Trimming underarm hair keeps the sweat away which supports odor-causing bacteria. If you do not shave your armpits, keeping them clean and dry to prevents odor.

Clean and Fresh Workout Clothes - Your workout clothes need to be clean and fresh to prevent underarm odor. Consider pre-treating gym clothes with baking soda for about an hour, prior to washing. This takes away any unpleasant odors. Oily sweat can be taken out by using 1 cup vinegar with regular detergent. Hang clothes out to dry instead of putting them in the dryer as this also makes the clothes smell nice and fresh.

Avoid Foods that Cause Odor - Certain foods can cause body odor. These include curry, garlic and onions, blue cheese, cabbage and vinegar. Avoid these foods if you wish to avoid body odor and smelly armpits.

Maintain Proper Body and Room Temperature -As you sweat when you feel hot, keep your room temperatures a little cooler than the outside air especially in sleeping or workout rooms. Ensure you wear light and breathable clothing. If certain emotions make you sweat, practice meditation or yoga to control your emotions.

Drink Plenty of Water -Drinking water enables the kidneys to flush waste products and harmful toxins out of the body. The reduction in toxins ensures fewer bacteria, which in turn, ensures less body odor.

Use Crystal Rock - Crystal rock is made up of mineral salt that decreases perspiration under the arms, thereby reducing the odor. This can be found in any drugstore.

Consider Medical Help - Medical help may be necessary if none of the above work in reducing sweat and armpit odor.

SOURCE: http://www.md-health.com/Underarm-Odor.html

5 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by dominique(f): 4:12pm On Apr 15, 2013
Nice tips, thanks for sharing smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Sermwell(m): 2:27pm On Oct 17, 2013
Tankz op 4 dis thread! It will really go a long way in encouraging proper cleanin and prevention of body odor especially among d girls cuz most of dem ar guilty of dis!... A friend of mine once came 2 me 4 advice on wat 2 do wit his body odor girlfriend, I just plainly told him 2 brake up wit her and he did! Only if op had posted dis b4 now! Well, its ok! Tanks op all d same
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by DICKtator: 2:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
Iron sponge may prolly do the trick for em. You never can tell.

grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by 9jahubcom(m): 2:29pm On Oct 17, 2013
dominique: Nice tips, thanks for sharing smiley

yes
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by yunglykmine(m): 2:29pm On Oct 17, 2013
Ok.
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Merkki(f): 2:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
Men, SHAVE! Pls, i beg you on bended knees. SHAVE! We don't need your armpit hair for Brazilian wig, get rid of that mess. It affects global warming. Save a soul. Save this generation.

SHAVE!

33 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
Simple!

Shave everyday or once in two days.

Use deodorants.

Wash armpit well while bathing.

...Daz all. smiley

4 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Ogoanita(f): 2:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nice one,,,, but seems u forgot to talk about shaving off excess hair from d armpit as well, cos som pple leave it there as if d wanna cook bitter leaf soup with it! ;DNice one,,,, but seems u forgot to talk about shaving off excess hair from d armpit as well, cos som pple leave it there as if d wanna cook bitter leaf soup with it!

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Lilimax(f): 2:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
rodeo0070:
Avoid Foods that Cause Odor - Certain foods can cause body odor. These include curry, garlic and onions, blue cheese, and vinegar. Avoid these foods if you wish to avoid body odor and smelly armpits.
undecided sad ??

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Big4wig(m): 2:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nna mehn,hope my neighbour is reading dis on nairaland cos her own sell like fermented shi*t

did u know dat Dia re 3 types of pple in dz world; dose dat make tinz happen,dose who watch tinz happen and dose who wonder wot happened. Which one re u?

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Ogoanita(f): 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
undecidedespecially men! tongue
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Picomon(m): 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
Oya, click like if your armpit is shaved.

2 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by kingsley103(m): 2:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
I should stop eating onions, garlic, curry, and cabbage? What gives a healthy living if these food are not eaten? We agree they have bad smell especially garlic, and we can eat them in diverse ways; nonetheless, they are necessary to human existence!
Good write up!

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by aliumik: 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
Merkki: Men, SHAVE! Pls, i beg you in bended knees. SHAVE! We don't need your armpit hair for Brazilian wig, get rid of that mess. It affects global warming. Save a soul. Save this generation.

SHAVE!
It looks like u really need to sound it to Him (Ur Boyfriend) very well.That guy no dey hear word........lol

8 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Daniluv2k4(m): 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
10nx buh una no ve arm-pit odour
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
FRESH armpit AIR till 2015
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
Merkki: Men, SHAVE! Pls, i beg you in bended knees. SHAVE! We don't need your armpit hair for Brazilian wig, get rid of that mess. It affects global warming. Save a soul. Save this generation.

SHAVE!
Come Shave me. No bi Sadiya armpit hair nearly make me think say armpit get hairstyle? abi Sadiya na man. abeg make i hear word jare. Your name even resemble small hair for there
( Na Joke Oh)
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by kattyagbagidi(f): 2:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
Das a nice 1, tks op. Pls knowing is 1 tin n puting to practise is anoda.
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
I hate bushy armpits.
Meanwhile, Op, if it's an armpit odour caused by witches. This your list no go do am.
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
sometimes when i met someone wit a bushy armpit,i ask 'do you by chance have the intention of plaiting it in the near future'?
what are they being grown for.EG Burna Boy's own ,the day i saw it on nairaland,i felt nauseous
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Sllowppoisoon: 2:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by buoye1(m): 2:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
Constant bathing nd using a roll on ll help

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Amoshie(m): 2:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
Mr OP make u sit well we go bath well shave our armpits n use deodorants n antiperspirants but ho we go stop to dey eat cabbage, onion n d rest?
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thank God i shave my arm pit every 3 days and i don't use deodorizer.
Every guy should get a cliper and learn to use it
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by kokoye(m): 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2013

SHAVE!

In the United States, you will be called g.a.y for shaving too clean (especially sportsmen). But it's nobody's business what I have under my armpits...so..big deal.

I was raised in Nigeria so it's still clean shaves for me anyway ..plus roll on and body spray.

3 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by trublvr(f): 3:14pm On Oct 17, 2013
Use limes, i.e. the small, greenish yellow acidic fruit. Just cut one in half and rub against your udnerarm. This is guaranteed to stop b.o.

3 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by mu2sa2: 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Sweat is odourless- yes, your sweat has no smell at all. lt"s when sweat comes in contact with the secretion of bacteria on your skin that the sweaty odour results. So if you get rid of the bacteria your sweat remains odourless. It's cheap and easy to control body odor- before shower, thoroughly clean your armpits with a disinfectant using a few drops on a cotton ball. Morning and evening. That will control bacteria so that when u sweat it produces no odour. Avoid anti- perspirants - sweating is natural; it's body odour that's embarassing.So let your body sweat but control the odour.

3 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 17, 2013
babe_online: Simple!

Shave everyday or once in two days.

Use deodorants.

Wash armpit well while bathing.

...Daz all. smiley
. Na so ur own hair dey grow.? Every day shaving. Guy u be monkey? I fear u o. Any way mostly guys need dis thread so dat we can live lng o.

5 Likes

Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Adrenaline123(m): 3:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
trublvr: Use limes, i.e. the small, greenish yellow acidic fruit. Just cut one in half and rub against your udnerarm. This is guaranteed to stop b.o.
no be only lime if u like use aboniki balm
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Kennito90(m): 3:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
So wetin una d talk now, so make i knw grow my mangro-forest again? Dry season go soon come, una go hear am.
Re: How To Prevent Underarm Odor. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Our naija girls will do us a big favour if they stick to this thread. Yuck to some of them. Imagine having a girl visiting u and after the show, u cant rest in ur room again cos of odour. Mtcheew!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Discharges Four More COVID-19 Patients / Plateau Organ Theft: Seven Other Ex-patients Found With Missing Kidneys / Man Commits Suicide In Kano (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.