Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,081 members, 7,845,554 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery (16357 Views)

I Will Eliminate Corruption In Nigeria – Buhari / Reasons For Nigeria's U.S DV-Lottery Ban / I Was One Of The Reasons Why US Barred Nigeria From DV Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by ZUBY77(m): 5:24pm On Apr 16, 2013
Why would i go through all this just to run away from my Enugu. No way.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by tpia5: 8:19pm On Apr 16, 2013
The sweeping legislation also would remake the nation's inefficient legal immigration system,

is it inefficient?
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 8:39pm On Apr 16, 2013
tpia@:

is it inefficient?

In some qtrs, it is believed to be...
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Policewoman(f): 8:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
I support the move.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 16, 2013
No - Lets stick with the current laws and enforce them - fine and/or jail anyone employing illegal aliens.

It's buying the vote for the next election,plain & simple...We all know,when Washington does something,they really screw it up..Why should this be any different..We are being sold out....

orrr stop the incentives for illegals to come here. Stop sanctuary cities, use e-varify, no automatic citizenship unless the parents are citizens.

Smh @ my Republican folks. Doing all of this just for the fear of lossing the next election huh?

Screw Obama btw
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 9:16pm On Apr 16, 2013
REALITY101:
No - Lets stick with the current laws and enforce them - fine and/or jail anyone employing illegal aliens.

It's buying the vote for the next election,plain & simple...We all know,when Washington does something,they really screw it up..Why should this be any different..We are being sold out....

orrr stop the incentives for illegals to come here. Stop sanctuary cities, use e-varify, no automatic citizenship unless the parents are citizens.

Smh @ my Republican folks. Doing all of this just for the fear of lossing the next election huh?

Screw Obama btw

after u get am with luck and life savings to pay medical bills,u enjoy am... u wan deny others
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 16, 2013
biolabee:

after u get am with luck and life savings to pay medical bills,u enjoy am... u wan deny others

You have no idea of what you're talking about kiddo
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Abrantie: 9:40pm On Apr 16, 2013
felphenix: A new agriculture visa program would bring farm workers to the U.S., and farm workers already here illegally would get a faster path to citizenship than others, able to seek a green card in five years, an effort to create a stable agricultural workforce.

The above sounds so strange and dates back to things we really don't want to remember (Modern Slavery as CNN would call it) I might be wrong!
It took you this long to notice that modern day immigration to USA or Oyiboland is a reinvention of slave ships of the past?
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 11:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
REALITY101:

You have no idea of what you're talking about kiddo

u dont have.... people like u are the lucky poseessors of the green card or by birth citizenship but now u r in, those coming behind u are parasites

hypocrite
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 17, 2013
biolabee:

u dont have.... people like u are the lucky poseessors of the green card or by birth citizenship but now u r in, those coming behind u are parasites

hypocrite

Still talking shiit. Please try harder
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Pelummy(f): 12:55am On Apr 17, 2013
eggheaders:

oloriburuku,Sango ko lomi nile fi eje we.sango ma fi eje re we ni odun yi.were agba of nairaland.ko ni ye e laiye ati lorun.gbogbo irandiran re ma se ofo.enuff said to the blockheaded goon.that airhead really fits as perfect name to christen your first born.
nawa for u o
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Nobody: 1:24am On Apr 17, 2013
Makes perfect sense. It is baffling to see green cards being awarded to folks who have barely a high school education, who are mostly a drain on the welfare system while foreign trained doctors have to wait years, jumping through hoops just to be able to get a work visa.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 1:35am On Apr 17, 2013
davidylan: Makes perfect sense. It is baffling to see green cards being awarded to folks who have barely a high school education, who are mostly a drain on the welfare system while foreign trained doctors have to wait years, jumping through hoops just to be able to get a work visa.

\\true
have u heard of the blueseed project
america as a whole is losing due to some aspects on its immigration
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Nobody: 1:51am On Apr 17, 2013
biolabee:

\\true
have u heard of the blueseed project
america as a whole is losing due to some aspects on its immigration

Yep. Canada was much smarter. Their immigration system is geared towards picking highly educated folks who can contribute to the society. In the US all we get are floods of uneducated mexicans.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 1:59am On Apr 17, 2013
davidylan:

Yep. Canada was much smarter. Their immigration system is geared towards picking highly educated folks who can contribute to the society. In the US all we get are floods of uneducated mexicans.

LOL
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by pauloman(m): 10:43am On Apr 17, 2013
davidylan:

Lol very true ! They are indeed smarter !! I wonder why it took so long for the USA to get their hearts together to see the light in the Immigration system of Canada,Australia and the likes.... Be it as it may,the move is a welcome development !

As it stands now,highly skilled folks can gain access to the states as against the luck bound lottery thingy. The motive behind the DV lottery has long lost its value and it is high time it changes
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by funnyx(m): 12:45pm On Apr 17, 2013
davidylan:

Exactly! Same as Australia and even New Zealand. Like US, UK also encouraged immigration of low skilled workers for a long time until the introduction of the now suspended HSMP which ironically was the most regulated and criticised immigration route despite bringing in skilled migrants. Also for many years you can easily get working visa in Ireland simply by having an irish born baby while professionals like doctors are victimised daily with threats of deportation, what an irony!
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 12:51pm On Apr 17, 2013
This is an intellectual thread unlike some people who don't want othere to benefit fter they were lucky to be there in the first place

Even if you are living in the states, your black heart is still black
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by xtayle(m): 5:22pm On Apr 17, 2013
davidylan:

The US have skilled people in excess!!! They only need people who are willing to take care of their dirty jobs.

Canada on d other hand is under populated so they don't really have much dirty affairs. Their population is just about 10% of America's population. So they first of all need to have enough skilled people who will generate the dirty needs for unskilled people to come and take care of.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by MajeOfficial: 5:44pm On Apr 17, 2013
no country has skilled people in excess, you're high.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by funnyx(m): 5:49pm On Apr 17, 2013
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by funnyx(m): 5:50pm On Apr 17, 2013
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by funnyx(m): 5:52pm On Apr 17, 2013
[quote author=]no country has skilled people in excess, you're high. [/quote]

Dont mind him jare grin grin skilled people in excess lol
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 5:54pm On Apr 17, 2013
xtayle:

The US have skilled people in excess!!! They only need people who are willing to take care of their dirty jobs.

Canada on d other hand is under populated so they don't really have much dirty affairs. Their population is just about 10% of America's population. So they first of all need to have enough skilled people who will generate the dirty needs for unskilled people to come and take care of.

xtayle have u read of the blueseed project

The US needs skilled people that its current immigration system hampers from coming in
Sergey Brin is a descendant of immigrants so was Madeleien Albright
These peoples bring innovation that has now dried up now hence the comparative advantage to other nations has been narrowed
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by xtayle(m): 7:33pm On Apr 17, 2013
[quote author=]no country has skilled people in excess, you're high. [/quote]

Can you tell us which area of human endeavour where America lack skilled people?
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by xtayle(m): 8:34pm On Apr 17, 2013
biolabee:

xtayle have u read of the blueseed project

The US needs skilled people that its current immigration system hampers from coming in
Sergey Brin is a descendant of immigrants so was Madeleien Albright
These peoples bring innovation that has now dried up now hence the comparative advantage to other nations has been narrowed

Blue seed is a private initiative and has nothing to do with US government. Besides, the concept does not in anyway imply that the US is in shortage of skilled labour. It is just a scheme designed to carryout business incubation service especially for non US citizens. Current immigration laws are not friendly towards that but people want to do business there by all means. The promoter saw an opportunity in that and designed d scheme.

The blueseed may never take off because d date for launch has been changed twice for lack of adequate fund to run such a huge project on d HIGH SEA outside of US territorial waters, where start up will have to pay as much as $1200 a month in rent.

Don't u think d US would soften their laws if they were desperate? They won't need to take illegal alliens with innovation to d high sea.

Let's just keep our fingers cross.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 12:02am On Apr 18, 2013
okidoki
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 18, 2013
xtayle:

Not true. Silicon valley is the largest lobby group for expanding the H1B visa class. If they had abundant US talent to fill these positions why would they care about going to Asia to hire workers?
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by biolabee(m): 1:38am On Apr 18, 2013
davidylan:

Not true. Silicon valley is the largest lobby group for expanding the H1B visa class. If they had abundant US talent to fill these positions why would they care about going to Asia to hire workers?

Thanks bros
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by xtayle(m): 9:44pm On Apr 18, 2013
davidylan:

My mom (she has a green card sponsored by my bro and sister-in-law) went to d US to take care of my big bro's baby. Some Neighbours (2 of them actually) brought their babies and paid her 500 USD monthtly. Does this mean there are not enough people in d US Nanny biz anymore? I don't think so. However, I know that Nannies in d US earn as much as those who work a regular office job so they are expensive. If you hire one and go to work as a woman, at d end of d month, u practically have to hand over ur entire pay for d month to pay a Nanny.

Bottomline: Labour is expensive in d US and that's why everyone is now Manufacturing in China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, India, et al. Its also d reason employers consider labour from outside of d US because it will be cheaper. The American lifestyle has become very expensive and so is Labour. Today, you can get an expert of d same qualification in India for half the wage u will get it in d US. Even "Plastic Valley" will push to benefit from that. It is a push to reduce the cost of production in order to remain competitive. Some of u who are talking here are still dreaming or once dreamt of attending MIT or HAVARD where American innovators like Bill Gates and Mark Zukerberg came from and you are saying there is no innovation in America. There are several innovation in America many of which are quite expensive and not affordable to many.

Finally, America may not soften their law in this regard because Americans are battling serious case of unemployment. If they open d floodgate and allow foreigners who are willing to work for less to come in, their skilled work force will suffer more. One of d major highlight of the last US Presidential election debate was for Obama and Romney to convince Americans how d high rate of unemployment plaguing the US economy can be brought down. I know a lot of Nigerians who are living in d US, on green card, they all have jobs (unskilled mostly) but Americans says they are looking for jobs. Who are those looking for jobs? Skilled People.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by Nobody: 11:59pm On Apr 18, 2013
xtayle:

My mom (she has a green card sponsored by my bro and sister-in-law) went to d US to take care of my big bro's baby. Some Neighbours (2 of them actually) brought their babies and paid her 500 USD monthtly. Does this mean there are not enough people in d US Nanny biz anymore? I don't think so. However, I know that Nannies in d US earn as much as those who work a regular office job so they are expensive. If you hire one and go to work as a woman, at d end of d month, u practically have to hand over ur entire pay for d month to pay a Nanny.

Bottomline: Labour is expensive in d US and that's why everyone is now Manufacturing in China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, India, et al. Its also d reason employers consider labour from outside of d US because it will be cheaper. The American lifestyle has become very expensive and so is Labour. Today, you can get an expert of d same qualification in India for half the wage u will get it in d US. Even "Plastic Valley" will push to benefit from that. It is a push to reduce the cost of production in order to remain competitive. Some of u who are talking here are still dreaming or once dreamt of attending MIT or HAVARD where American innovators like Bill Gates and Mark Zukerberg came from and you are saying there is no innovation in America. There are several innovation in America many of which are quite expensive and not affordable to many.

Finally, America may not soften their law in this regard because Americans are battling serious case of unemployment. If they open d floodgate and allow foreigners who are willing to work for less to come in, their skilled work force will suffer more. One of d major highlight of the last US Presidential election debate was for Obama and Romney to convince Americans how d high rate of unemployment plaguing the US economy can be brought down. I know a lot of Nigerians who are living in d US, on green card, they all have jobs (unskilled mostly) but Americans says they are looking for jobs. Who are those looking for jobs? Skilled People.

I was talking of silicon valley and you're talking of nannies? ridiculous.
If you applied for a visa to be a nanny you would be laughed out of the embassy.
Re: Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery by xtayle(m): 12:35am On Apr 20, 2013
davidylan:

I was talking of silicon valley and you're talking of nannies? ridiculous.
If you applied for a visa to be a nanny you would be laughed out of the embassy.

Did I just talk about Nannies? Did I say anyone applied for visa to be a Nanny? Where is your comparative sense or reasoning?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Charles Idahosa: Blame Oshiomhole for Edo Assembly crisis / How Osinbajo's Intervention Led To Conviction Of Dismissed SARS Operative / FG Secures Court Leave To Bring Nine New Grounds Against Kanu’s Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.