Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,186 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence (22815 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Revalidation Of Tinted Permit, Firearms Licence Begins Today / VIO Not Permitted To Check Drivers Licence, Vehicle Particulars—frsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by back2sender: 8:53am On Apr 18, 2013
Everything about LASG is revenue drive at the expense of the masses.they should fix the major roads and impress it on the various LGs and LDAs to fix the roads in thier respective areas before coming out with LASDRI n other such policies.

ACN is taking people in lagos for granted and a surprise awaits them in next polls, what they fail to understand is that this policies are been documented and people are more enlightened today than yesterday
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by mapet: 10:42am On Apr 18, 2013
@confusion247,

with due respect, your statement here is more like that from a confused mind. Pray tell, what other change are you expecting from the leaders in this regard other than restoring sanity to driving on the roads by making sure that drivers go through necessary screening.

What condition of roads are you harping about you seat in your backwater state in the east and keep talking about things you know nothing about. Indulging you in your "state of the road" dellusion, does it not make sense to you that roads will be preserved, when the problems of drivers that contribute partly to the state of disrepair are addressed. Some of your are naturally warped in your reasoning.

confusion247:
Yes, Nigerians want a change and that change must come from the leaders first. As you said Abroad is good but you failed to tell us how is the condition of roads abroad. Bad government leads to bad road and that also leads to bad driving. First things first.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by mapet: 10:59am On Apr 18, 2013
@qwest,

in a much as I see your point bit part and agree with some, I cannot fail to point out some inconsistences in your input
1. What is the nexus between LASDRI and stiffling of businesses??
2. Each state is well withing their right to organize and license drivers that will drive vehicles on the roads they've built and have jurisdiction over. More over states can collaborate in exchange programs, in terms of training and cross licensing, hence all 36 states can cross license, that is not a problem. The important thing is that we need to get out of the mess where drivers licenses are delivered to us all at home, yet we did not go through any form of standard training or certification
3. I am very familiar with NIMC, and I can tell you that NIMC will be the central repository and mediation of identity management; it does not remove the rights of states and agencies to register data/identities under what they have jurisdiction. INEC, LASTMA, FRSC, PHCN etc will still handle their registrations and all at some point will be warehoused under NIMC. Secondly NIMC is yet to hit the ground running, and not all states and agencies will wait for NIMC. Ondo states and Lagos States are commencing/updating their databases for headcounts, house counts and other strategic purposes. We have to strike a balance. All these ideally will be warehoused under NIMC at one time in the nearest future if it's successfully taken off.
4. I also think you're wrong on the hackney permits and all other permit issues. I have a vehicle with a commercial number. I paid 18k and got all the necessary permits in a Local government in Lagos. I was duly informed that it covers all the local governments in Nigeria. in the documents I even have receipts and stickers for other states East, west, North and south. I have the Local government badges etc. This is one area where all the local government have collaborated.
5. All said, I think it is important that we acknowledge the need to do the right thing and safe-gards lives. I have been driving since 1993, I never for one day did any driving certification exam with any Licensing body, I have mostly walked up to the gates of FRSC in agidingbi, paid any of the officers some token, filled a form, return the next week and voila my license is ready. A collegue of mine have gotten license for the wife who's yet to start learning how to drive. Many of the commercial drivers don't even have driving licenses. They've mostly paid their way through any time it's requested......So on the weight of all these, I find it absurd that what many see to it on this page is "additional reveneu for Lagos State"
qwest: These multiplicity of fees and costs is stifling businesses. Not only are they planning on a separate licensing and training programme, they are also starting a separate identification and card for the Lagos area. The same identification database the NIM is due to resume collation for this April. There should be a harmonisation of such things, taxes, fines, agencies and what not. I shouldn't be running a company in Ogun and have to pay hackney permit, local govt and municipal permits, licenses, etc after having paid at the federal and state levels; then have to pay for another state's when I transport my goods to that state. Too much bureaucracy stifles businesses, innovation and entrepreneurship.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by mapet: 11:00am On Apr 18, 2013
At least there was sight test and road test and proof of insurance. Match that with Nigeria where there have been practically no test. Is that not the more worrisome
purpleclouds:

That's not true at all. I recently got my license in the US and it was a simple sight test and road test and proof of insurance. I only had to pay for the license which was a small fee.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by mapet: 11:02am On Apr 18, 2013
....Stop getting to emotional over nothing. If you're satisfied in living in a chatioc society unfortunately Lagos is not. You're simply ridiculous. What is "devilish, Selfish, wicked and satanic" in asking drivers that will move heavy duty goods on Lagos roads to go through some form of certification.....

Hardfact: Yes, some people are too shortsighted for their own good and survival...
Yet even worse is the fact the people in Lagos State govt are too longsighted for their own devilish, selfish, wicked, policies and satanic agenda.
The people of Lagos are simply fed with the tyranny being played out Fashola and co. Even any good moves by the govt can now be misconstrued.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by mapet: 11:05am On Apr 18, 2013
@tomzman,

In a sane fedration, the move by the Lagos State is very necessary and valid. The federal government will be too pre-occupied with other national issues to be burned with drivers certification. In a sane Federation, FRSC's powers will be witled down and state agencies will be more empowered to manage traffic, road safety and managements within their domain effectively

tomzman:
I think you have made a point. I agree with you. I remember the day I boarded a commercial vehicle, I brought out the highway code and started reading it. The driver was suprised and said he never bought nor read the book. I wonder how he got his licence if at all he has. In a sane federation however, this move by Lagos State is unnecessary.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by mapet: 11:11am On Apr 18, 2013
@ypzianti,

1. I think this is what we should all advocate for. There are many ways this real certification can be made possible. First off is that each prospective driver should be made to go through a Computer Based Test (CBT) that will be authenticated by the finger-print or retina scan of the prospective driver. There-in we will reduce the eliment of fraud. Then each driver can also be made to go through practical tests, supervised by authorized certification personnel. People can actually apply to government to be an approved certification personnel, go through some forms of certification. Now they will supervise the practical aspects, prospective drivers will pay for their time and will be the one to endorse their reports. The approvers' endorsement is attached drivers license's data, so that we can mark pattern of infractions and check the endorsers quality..........There are many ways around this, but we must be willing to do the right thing.

ypzilanti: This is a good idea so long as there is a real certification course. I mean a really proffesional license that you cannot bribe to get. Are you all not tired of getting rammed and injured by commercial drivers?

How many times have tankers destroyed peoples lives in Lagos? In fact they should go further and add a literacy test so that only educated people drive vehicles that can easily turn to mass murder machines in the hands of touts.

Nigerians are not ready for positive change, apparently. Even if government is using it as arevenue drive, so be it. So long as the drivers are not cutting corners and get the proper training.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by mapet: 11:12am On Apr 18, 2013
Let us do the right thing is what is important.
amarilo: Then you honestly think they will not bribe the people incharge of this project.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by enyhss(m): 11:34am On Apr 18, 2013
I applaud the Lagos State government for creating this Driver Education Program. Driving a commercial vehicle should not be equated to driving a private vehicle. If you drive a commercial vehicle for a living, you should be a professional. In other sane societies, that's the way it is. In United States for example, if you want to drive to earn a living, you must go through rigorous tests & trainings & this is a continous process depending on the state you reside. It doesn't matter how long you've been driving or how long you've had a regular Driver's License.

The Commissioner is a product of that environment & he should be applauded for Introducing it in Lagos state. Its meant to protect lives & properties.

Its no different than other professionals in other endeavors attending seminars, on the job trainings & refresher courses. We can't just focus our attention on the fines that could be paid for non-compliance.

I hope people understand the fact that this program is not for everybody. It's specifically meant for Commercial Drivers.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by enyhss(m): 11:57am On Apr 18, 2013
purpleclouds:

That's not true at all. I recently got my license in the US and it was a simple sight test and road test and proof of insurance. I only had to pay for the license which was a small fee.

To Purpleclouds:

I don't know how long you've been living in United States or the state you got your Driver's License from,but I've been living in the same United States for a minute, & I've had to obtain & renew Driver's Licenses in different states since I've been here,so I think I'm not a newbie.
The Driver License issued to you is CLASS "grin" or its equivalent depending on the state that issued it to you. That's the same thing millions of Drivers have in the states. Check your License & let me know if I'm right. It does not permit you to drive a commercial vehicle. If you need to drive a commercial vehicle like school bus,dump trucks ,tank trailers or any vehicle above 26000 GVW, you'll have to go & apply for another license that fits that category.I'm 100 % right about this.

I'll like a feedback from you.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by surugede(m): 3:29pm On Apr 18, 2013
oche_ejemb:

Ordinarily yes, in reality any clown (including me) can get a Driver's License without having attended one day of driving school. If all commercial drivers (the number 1 lunatics on Lagos roads) learn how to drive PROPERLY, then things will be much saner

i have been where they are issuing the so called LASDRI, i even have 1 already (compelled to pay for it when arrested by LASMA - well thats story for another day). there is no form of a training whatsoever, it is pay-and-pick-up. So it does not add any value to, it is just another way of "settling" some ppl, Enriching the members of the clique
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by Hardfact: 6:01pm On Apr 23, 2013
mapet: ....Stop getting to emotional over nothing. If you're satisfied in living in a chatioc society unfortunately Lagos is not. You're simply ridiculous. What is "devilish, Selfish, wicked and satanic" in asking drivers that will move heavy duty goods on Lagos roads to go through some form of certification.....

Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by lanredav: 4:05pm On Sep 18, 2013
Rubbish,has he gone for the same driving test? can he drive defensively? is lagos law more respected than Nigerian law? for how long will this politicians put us in bondage? can the certificate be more recognized than the FRSC drivers license, i think its time to take this people to court and test their supremacy over the law governing the Nation called Nigeria.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by PenSoftCorp(m): 8:59pm On Jun 16, 2015
To hire Reliable and Professionally trained drivers in Nigeria, visit www.driversng.com
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by Raymond82: 11:42am On Apr 08, 2016
Please how much is LASDRI LICENSE
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 20, 2016
VIO have started arresting drivers in lagos state due to failure to produce this lasdri license. Fee is like 20k. Be warned
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by allboyz(m): 6:57am On Mar 06, 2017
i was asking...

1) if my younger brother is driving my car within lagos and he owns a FRSC license but NOT LASDRI... will him and my car be fined?
2) i heard somewhere that this LASDRI is meant for ONLY company drivers and UBER guys... but also i heard that they are also fining people who drives their friends or parents cars too... how true?

Thanks
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by ayenny02(m): 7:26am On Mar 06, 2017
allboyz:
i was asking...

1) if my younger brother is driving my car within lagos and he owns a FRSC license but NOT LASDRI... will him and my car be fined?
2) i heard somewhere that this LASDRI is meant for ONLY company drivers and UBER guys... but also i heard that they are also fining people who drives their friends or parents cars too... how true?

Thanks
LASDRI is for commercial drivers only not for private vehicle. If your car is for commercial purpose pls tell him to get the lasdri or else......
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by Abitofspice: 12:08pm On Mar 06, 2017
ayenny02:
LASDRI is for commercial drivers only not for private vehicle. If your car is for commercial purpose pls tell him to get the lasdri or else......
ayenny02:
ayenny02:
Are you sure? I just got fine 20k for my driver not having lasdri lincence. Its a private owned car and not for commercial purposes.
Lagos this isnt good at all.
Re: Lagos To Fine Drivers Without LASDRI Licence by ayenny02(m): 12:57pm On Mar 06, 2017
Abitofspice:

Are you sure? I just got fine 20k for my driver not having lasdri lincence. Its a private owned car and not for commercial purposes.
Lagos this isnt good at all.
Yes, I was stopped by VIO at Ajah roundabout last month and I showed them all my documents and they asked me for lasdri and I told them it is private car and they returned my documents to me and they let me go

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hamza Al-Mustapha Wins PPN Presidential Ticket / Senator Haliru Jika Shares 55 Cars, 96 Motorcycles, 83 Keke In Bauchi / HURIWA: Hardship, Fuel Scarcity: You’ll Go To Hell If You Don’t Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.