Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,325 members, 7,954,314 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:31 PM

Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years (11120 Views)

Ben Brice Reacts To #8.4billion Naira Wardrobe Allowance / Nigeria Inflation Drops To 8 Percent / Anambra Poverty Rate Lowest In Nigeria - NAPEP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by mrjingles(m): 6:38pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Does an increase of a bag of rice from N6,000 to N13,000 and some brand now cost N18,000 a small increase Dude use your brain!

The answer to your comment is in my post, if you can't see it then I can't help you sir.

prologue:
Has naira improved in value with this news? Prices are shooting higher generally n lower denominations of the currency are going extinct. Plz educate me

The answer to your question is in my post I used very precise words and I'm not in the habit of being lazy in language, my words mean exactly what you see. If you cant see the answer I'm sorry about that.

plaetton: Another April fools joke that is 18 days late.

Nigerian seems to be the biggest psychiatric ward in the planet.
We not only dupe others but we also turn own selves into maga and dupe ourselves everyday?

We believe so much in supernatural, miracles and voodoo magic, that we even engage in voodoo economics.
The inflation numbers being touted above seems to have been conjured up by a series of ... abracadabras.

Now to the serious issue.
Does anyone know or can anyone volunteer to enlighten us as to how inflation is calculated in Nigeria?

I will give you a clue.
In the colonial era, when Nigeria's economy was mainly an agrarian and cash crop economy, inflation was calculated using the price movements of a basket of exportable cash crops such as groundnuts, coconuts, oranges, mangoes, cocoa, etc.
Today, circa 2013, inflation is still being calculated using the same basket of agricultural cash crops.
You dont agree?
Do the research.

So when the government tells us that inflation is 8.6%, it should elicit nothing but laughter from us.

You are so precisely wrong there's no point correcting you, the error in you post is self evident

1 Like

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by chessguru1(m): 6:40pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
An in your wisdom you have refused to test this hypothesis yourself to see if this is the case? How much was a bag of garri 12 months ago and how much is it now? I mean just sample few goods and services, can you confidently say their corresponding increase is 8.6% as you claimed?
And in ur wisdom, u can confidently vouch that garri has increased in every single market J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ because it increased in yours?
As some one once said, decrease in inflation rate doesn't mean decrease in price...it J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ means a decrease at the rate things are going up.....in english...THINGS MUST STILL GO UP!
Redefine ur understanding of deflation and inflation
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by awodman: 6:42pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Does an increase of a bag of rice from N6,000 to N13,000 and some brand now cost N18,000 a small increase Dude use your brain!
So that is how you could comprehend his explanation?...dude I don't know whether its a case of comprehension problem or still the same hateful venom that characterizes your person
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 6:43pm On Apr 18, 2013
boron10:
Take a look at the Price of electronics, mobile phones, calls, clothes, transportation etc and tell me how the increases have been up to 8.6%. It's obvious you're only concerned about the price food. Hungry man
Like seriously? Huh?...Are you for real The madness of 1st January 2012, has the dust settled down still in the economy? So you want to tell me transportation has not gone up by more than 9%? Are you for real at all?

1 Like

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by plaetton: 6:45pm On Apr 18, 2013
mrjingles:

The answer to your comment is in my post, if you can't see it then I can't help you sir.

The answer to your question is in my post I used very precise words and I'm not in the habit of being lazy in language, my words mean exactly what you see. If you cant see the answer I'm sorry about that.

You are so precisely wrong there's no point correcting you, the error in you post is self evident

I am so wrong but there is no point in correcting me?
What kind of self-delusion is that?
Oh, I forgot.
We are all in this big psychiatric ward called Nigeria.
lol.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by jummy05: 6:46pm On Apr 18, 2013
Though I am an economist,I would never believe all these fake economic figures these guys are turning out.How would you explain an economy growing at 6.7% percent without any new jobs being created.
Even the United States of America that creates average of 200,000 jobs a months is growing at the minimal rate of 0.2% per year.

5 Likes

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by chessguru1(m): 6:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
Reading the comments so far, I get the idea that a lot of people are J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ confusing deflation and inflation.
When someone uses the increase in price of rice or garri in his area (blindly forgetting that there are thousands of other markets scattered around the country) to debunk the figures, I J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ see it as a mild confusion.
As someone said above, that inflation rate has reduced doesn't mean that price of goods won't go up (that's why its called reduced INFLATION rate), it simply points to the fact they it will increase at a more slower pace.
In order words price of commodities MUST STiLL INCREASE! But now @ a lower rate of 9.6 percent.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by splashbaby(m): 6:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
taharqa: Very, very GOOD development.

Weldone to the Economic Team. Hope they can hold it steady at Single Digit for sm months; that wud reali be a BIG deal for the Economy..
Make una dey lie to una self ooo...person wey soldier beat for our presence come turn around say him and the soldier don develop habit to dey greet violently..na who body go pain?
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by cbi24: 6:49pm On Apr 18, 2013
God help Nigeria,.... There are no jobs in Nigeria,.,... Inflation here and there...

OMG,.....

See this video i saw on youtube....
Why there are no jobs in Nigeria
[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mnhun9uMY&feature=player_detailpage[/flash]
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 6:50pm On Apr 18, 2013
awodman:
So that is how you could comprehend his explanation?...dude I don't know whether its a case of comprehension problem or still the same hateful venom that characterizes your person
Call it what you like... some of you are innately wicked, and you careless about the poor because you currently are benefiting from the current dispensation that jolly in deception and falsehood.

Real economics is not rocket science. If Nigerians daily are saying the hardship in the country has increased and all available data is indicating hitherto rising middle-working class with purchasing power many hope will help jump start the economy and sustain her bullish economic development and growth for years is on a spiral downfall, does it not bother you when our government reel out numbers indicating a different trend?

Let me ask you one question, what exactly has happened to Nigeria economy in the last 30 days to warrant a 1% drop in inflation Mind you in March 2013, NBS said inflation was 9.6% and barely 30 days after, that has dropped to 8.6% ..this is what you call WOW shocked

1 Like

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Tstark(m): 6:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
boron10:
It is folly to use the increase in price of just two commodities to debunk the overall claim. Have you tried to observe the prices of goods and services in other sectors?

We should atleast be happy that Good news is coming from Nigeria.

So it doesnt matter if the news isnt true? ?
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by plaetton: 6:58pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Call it what you like... some of you are innately wicked, and you careless about the poor because you currently are benefiting from the current dispensation that jolly in deception and falsehood.

Real economics is not rocket science. If Nigerians daily are saying the hardship in the country has increased and all available data is indicating hitherto rising middle-working class with purchasing power many hope will help jump start the economy and sustain her bullish economic development and growth for years is on a spiral downfall, does it not bother you when our government reel out numbers indicating a different trend?

Let me ask you one question, what exactly has happened to the Nigerian economy in the last 30 days to warrant a 1% drop in inflation Mind you in March 2013, NBS said inflation was 9.6% and barely 30 days after, that has dropped to 8.6% ..this is what you call WOW shocked
I will tell you what has happened.
Voodoo economics.
Same voodoo economics that told us that oceanic Bank and others were making triple digit percentage increases in billion naira profits from quarter to quarter, until...., the sun finally shone on their on their backsides.

The same voodoo economics that tells us that economy is growing at 8% when there are more than 20 million unemployed graduates and zero jobs being created for them.
Nigeria na wa.

1 Like

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 7:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
chess guru: Reading the comments so far, I get the idea that a lot of people are J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ confusing deflation and inflation.
When someone uses the increase in price of rice or garri in his area (blindly forgetting that there are thousands of other markets scattered around the country) to debunk the figures, I J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ see it as a mild confusion.
As someone said above, that inflation rate has reduced doesn't mean that price of goods won't go up (that's why its called reduced INFLATION rate), it simply points to the fact they it will increase at a more slower pace.
In order words price of commodities MUST STiLL INCREASE! But now @ a lower rate of 9.6 percent.
Inflation in simple terms is a rise in the general cost of Goods and Services, Hence the reason you compute it through CPI or through WPI.

If your claim has any basis, a slow down in the rate of price increase should see a corresponding increase in the spending power of Nigerians. Is this the case today in Nigeria
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by boron10(m): 7:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
Tstark:

So it doesnt matter if the news isnt true? ?
If you could believe that 90% of Nigerians live below $1, then I see no reason why you should not believe this.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by porka: 7:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
samilo88: That the effect of these claims aren't felt immediately on the price of common commodities boils down to the greediness of most sellers. A typical Nigerian trader won't be quick to adjust his or her selling price to reflect the initial price in which the goods were once sold, even when he or she buys that same commodity at a much more lesser price now. No wonder the saying that whatever goes up never comes down as mostly propagated by these traders. I think we ourselves are the one throwing wrenches into the gear wheels of our nation's progress. Until we start being sincere, we would only be seeing these figures on papers, the effect would be far from being felt.

The government can keep the price as it is by systematically releasing from strategic grain reserves.

They should not allow Shylock traders mess them up.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by plaetton: 7:09pm On Apr 18, 2013
porka:

The government can keep the price as it is by systematically releasing from strategic grain reserves.

shocked Did I hear you say "Strategic Grain Reserves"?

Which alternate universe are you living in?
I think you have been abroad for much too long.
lol. grin
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by otokx(m): 7:12pm On Apr 18, 2013
judgment day is coming.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by knightsamsong(m): 7:14pm On Apr 18, 2013
sheyie2007:
Kongo? Dude, really? undecided

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by ocelot2006(m): 7:22pm On Apr 18, 2013
Obiagelli:
Guy did you hear buhari will contest in 2015, your days are numbered

Actually Buhari' s announcement justmade things waaay too easy for GEJ. Your general go cry tire . But hey, thanks buhari.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 18, 2013
A fall in Inflation doesn't mean a fall in price. It only shows that price are increasing but at a decreasing rate. It's nothing to celebrate. I quit.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by rman: 7:26pm On Apr 18, 2013
Inflation rate means prices of goods are still going up. The rate at which it is going up has dropped a little. That is essentially what the report is saying.

To all those saying prices are higher, yes, you are technically agreeing with the report. What all of us can't verify is if the rate has really slowed down compared to previous years as the report implied.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by OmoTier1(m): 7:27pm On Apr 18, 2013
enigma_otr: A fall in Inflation doesn't mean a fall in price. It only shows that price are increasing but at a decreasing rate. It's nothing to celebrate. I quit.
Then a slow rate on price increase means more purchasing power = more goods and services being bought or more savings by Nigerians right?..Are we seeing any of these ? This is why it is called Voodoo economics my brother..
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by Policewoman(f): 7:30pm On Apr 18, 2013
I went to market to buy garri the other day andmthe price seemed to remain constant. However all these grammar will make no meaning if the power sector remains in limbo. NEPA just dey FVCK up nowadays,
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by boron10(m): 7:36pm On Apr 18, 2013
Policewoman: I went to market to buy garri the other day andmthe price seemed to remain constant. However all these grammar will make no meaning if the power sector remains in limbo. NEPA just dey FVCK up nowadays,
Power has improved in my own area o.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by chessguru1(m): 7:43pm On Apr 18, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Inflation in simple terms is a rise in the general cost of Goods and Services, Hence the reason you compute it through CPI or through WPI.

If your claim has any basis, a slow down in the rate of price increase should see a corresponding increase in the spending power of Nigerians. Is this the case today in Nigeria
This is where your argument should have been directed in the 1st place.
I honestly can't vouch for this figures, but saying dat the figures are false based solely on the rise in price of commodities is wrong, and that was my issue with you.
The spending power is the real issue and not the rise in price, and this I believe is the real challenge any govt in nigeria will face.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by PastorOla1: 7:49pm On Apr 18, 2013
This Na Theory, I Beg
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by chessguru1(m): 7:49pm On Apr 18, 2013
plaetton:

shocked Did I hear you say "Strategic Grain Reserves"?

Which alternate universe are you living in?
I think you have been abroad for much too long.
lol. grin
grin loool @ alternate universe...#Fring on my mind grin
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by samilo88(m): 7:52pm On Apr 18, 2013
porka:

Strategic grain reserves? Seriously I don't understand what you mean by that. The last time I heard something related to that was in the bible during time of joseph. Besides that was during d world's famine. We have a different scenario here.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thelastPope(m): 7:55pm On Apr 18, 2013
With all the negativity coming from the ACN gang, you will think people are dying of starvation in Nigeria. lol. Have you ever seen anyone die of starvation in Nigeria? If things are hard, it is because the world itself is at an economic cross road and Nigeria is even far better than many cities in Europe. Did you see the video of people looting in America? You would have thought that will never happen since those governments are so perfect and are taking care of their citizens. But the truth is, it is all lies. There are very poor people in America. Spain has over 45 percent unemployment. South Africa has over 70 percent unemployment for people within the age bracket of 21 and 35 years.

Nigeria is still far better than many of these places. Apart from infrastructure like power and rails, there is nothing fantastic about many of those countries. The life there is very hard and all the diaspora Nigerians that are telling you otherwise are lying true their teeth.
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by miqos02(m): 8:00pm On Apr 18, 2013
seanet01: Arrant Nonsense.
When a 50KG of Rice just jumped from N8500 to N12,000 and a Kongo of Garri now N200 all the way from N120.
Keep deceiving people
THANK YOU, they are all liars, economy is only improving in their pockets
Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thelastPope(m): 8:02pm On Apr 18, 2013
chess guru:
This is where your argument should have been directed in the 1st place.
I honestly can't vouch for this figures, but saying dat the figures are false based solely on the rise in price of commodities is wrong, and that was my issue with you.
The spending power is the real issue and not the rise in price, and this I believe is the real challenge any govt in nigeria will face.

The rise in price of commodities is only in his megative mind. He claimed that rice has suddenly gone up from 8500 to 12500. lol. How he got that figure from his supposed pechkam hideout is amazing. There is no such and has never been such rise in the price of rice. Not recently and not anytime in the recent past. The price of rice has hovered between 7000 and 9000 over the last 2 years. It goes up particularly during festive periods. These ACN cronies just try to throw negative stuff around to try to paint a picture of gloom and doom about Nigeria. They have been shouting this for a long time now and we still havent crashed yet. They are just rumour mongers. The economy of Nigeria is not different from other economies around the world. Infact, we stand a better chance and have a potential for growth if things like the power road map and rail projects can come good soonest.

1 Like

Re: Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years by thelastPope(m): 8:04pm On Apr 18, 2013
miqos02: THANK YOU, they are all liars, economy is only improving in their pockets

Thanking him for lying, grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Biafra First Lady Uchechi Okwu Kanu Celebrates Her Birthday-pics / Why Buhari Is Yet To Act On NJC’s Recommendation / Zamfara: We Are Ready To Challenge Some Positions - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.