Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee (1020 Views)

Amnesty Committee Meets Boko-Haram In Kaduna / Jonathan Sets-Up Amnesty Committee For Boko-Haram / Buhari Commends Jonathan On Boko-Haram Amnesty Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by FunnyPikincom(m): 11:48pm On Apr 17, 2013
A human rights activist, Shehu Sani, has declined to serve in the 26-member Presidential Committee empanelled by President Goodluck Jonathan to constructively engage key members of the extremist Boko Haram sect.

The committee is also to define comprehensive and workable framework for resolving insecurity in the country.

But in a post on his Facebook page on Wednesday night, Mr. Sani suggested he was not consulted before the appointment and announced he won’t serve on the committee.

“My friends called me this afternoon to inform me that they saw my name on the list of the Presidential committee on Amnesty,” Mr. Sani said. “This is to thank our president for giving me such an honour and consideration. However, I humbly and respectably wish to decline to serve as member.

“My advice remains: Reach out to the persons I mentioned their names in my interviews in the dailies to discreetly consult with the group to get their input on the idea. Thanks.”

Mr. Sani has repeatedly criticized the federal government over its handling of the Boko Haram insurgency. He had suggested that journalist Ahmad Salkida, who had reported extensively on the insurgency, should be engaged to reach out to the leadership of the violent sect.

President Jonathan had on Wednesday constituted the Presidential Committee following months of pressure on him to grant amnesty to members of the group.

Apart from engaging members of the Boko Haram sect, the panel is also to define comprehensive and workable framework for resolving insecurity in the country.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Reuben Abati, who disclosed this to State House correspondents at a press briefing at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, said the 26-member amnesty committee would be chaired by the Minister of Special Duties, Tanimu Turaki, while a representative of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation will serve as Secretary.

Apart from Mr. Sani, other members are, Ahmed Lemu, Hakeem Baba Ahmed, Musa Shehu (rtd.), Abubakar Tureta, Datti Ahmed and Abubakar Sodangi.

Also in the committee are Ahmed Makarfi, Mohammed Matawalle, Zakari Ibrahim, Naja’atu Mohammed, Adamu Ladan, Joseph Golwa, A.I. Shehu and R.I Nkemdirim.

Other members are, P. I. Leha, Nura Alkali, Salihu Abubakar, Abubakar Sani Lugga,Ibrahim Tahir, Ibrahim Sab, Baba Ahmed Jidda, Bilal Bulama, and Bolaji Akinyemi.

Mr. Abati said the decision to set up the committee was sequel to the consideration of the report of the technical committee set up by the National Security Council on insecurity in the Northern part of the country.

He listed the committee’s terms of reference to include, developing a framework for the granting of amnesty and setting up of a framework through which disarmament could take place within a 60-day time frame.

Mr. Abati said the committee would also develop a comprehensive victims’ support programme, and mechanisms to address the underlying causes of insurgencies that will help to prevent future occurrences.

He said the president also constituted a Federal Government committee on the proliferation of small arms and light weapons.

The constitution of the second committee, according to Mr. Abati, is in keeping with Nigeria’s pledge to work with the UN and other countries to stem “the worrisome proliferation of small arms and light weapons."

”The president said the use of such weapons was creating insecurity and instability in Nigeria and other developing nations."

The 17-member Committee on Small Arms and Light Weapons is chaired by Emmanuel Imohe, while the Director, Department of International Organisation in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will serve as Secretary.

Other members are the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Martin Uhomoibhi, T.D. Hart, Ghali Umar, M.G. Wakil and Opelusi Olureti.

Others are a representative each from the Ministry of Interior, Office of the National Security Adviser, Office of the Director General, State Security Services and the National Intelligence Agency.

Also on the committee are a representative each of the Federal Ministries of Justice and Defence; Defence Intelligence Agency, the Nigeria Customs Services and Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

M. Abati said the president would formally inaugurate the committees on Wednesday, April 24, at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by Nobody: 11:57pm On Apr 17, 2013
Ok
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by redsun(m): 11:59pm On Apr 17, 2013
Only traitors will sign up to that committee.

Their should be no dialogue with terrorists. With freedom fighters,yes yes. But not with deluded fundamentalists.
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by genxris: 6:20am On Apr 18, 2013
He is good in criticising the government but not willing to be in a committee that is required to go about restoring the security he has been criticising the government about.
Talking is cheap indeed
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by Nobody: 6:34am On Apr 18, 2013
genxris: He is good in criticising the government but not willing to be in a committee that is required to go about restoring the security he has been criticising the government about.
Talking is cheap indeed

My niggah, shut the fxcuk up, clown!

If he accepts that foolish appointment its idi*ots like urself thatll turn around and say "Ah, aboki, we knew he was a Boko Haram sponsor....."

GEJ knows them; that much he has told us, so why the charade? Like Redsun said, only a traitor will accept this appointment.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 18, 2013
Na Aboki names alone I dey see o,
Buhari's name should have been on the list, he knows the right words to use on his boys....

Initially nobody wants to associate themselves with boko( the so called faceless group) now all of them have agreed to intercede and speak to the 'faceless group'LoL
Who is fooling who?
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by Ganys: 11:16am On Apr 18, 2013
Hmmm.....lord have mercy
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by thelastPope(m): 1:01pm On Apr 18, 2013
This what you get from insincere arm chair critics that litter cyber space. They are only in it for their personal interests. Even if GEJ did not notify him duly

1. How can his personal ego take precedence over such a serious matter of national importance and life or death.
2. Why would he reject such a great opportunity to serve after having shouted his throat hoax over claims that he actually knows the solution
3. Why would he opt out of such a great opportunity to help his core constituency and save thousands of lives

Talk is cheap they say. We will continue to discover these hypocrite daily. Isnt it ironic that after critising all these while, when you are finally handed a chance to work a solution, instead of taking it as an opportunity to engrave your name in the sands of time and endear yourself to millions of Nigerians, you take the easy way out. You chicken out because you are actually a chicken trying to pretend you are a lion.

Shameless idiota!
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by ypzilanti: 1:29pm On Apr 18, 2013
thelastPope: This what you get from insincere arm chair critics that litter cyber space. They are only in it for their personal interests. Even if GEJ did not notify him duly

1. How can his personal ego take precedence over such a serious matter of national importance and life or death.
2. Why would he reject such a great opportunity to serve after having shouted his throat hoax over claims that he actually knows the solution
3. Why would he opt out of such a great opportunity to help his core constituency and save thousands of lives

Talk is cheap they say. We will continue to discover these hypocrite daily. Isnt it ironic that after critising all these while, when you are finally handed a chance to work a solution, instead of taking it as an opportunity to engrave your name in the sands of time and endear yourself to millions of Nigerians, you take the easy way out. You chicken out because you are actually a chicken trying to pretend you are a lion.

Shameless idiota!

Not everyone is moved by the 'come and chop mentality' in Nigeria. Why on earth would you appoint someone to such a crucial task without discussing with the person? The guy has to have an idea about what exactly is expected before taking a job that serious.That is how such things are done. Most especially since he has been very vocal in criticizing the government handling of the issue, there needed to be a meeting with him before acceptance. Haba. Are you daft or are you just eager to criticize the guy. If he was a PDP member or someone in the President's cabinet, he would be in his right to accept immediately...but an opposition figure has to be consulted before giving him an appointment. Shekina!
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by Pataki: 1:38pm On Apr 18, 2013
thelastPope: This what you get from insincere arm chair critics that litter cyber space. They are only in it for their personal interests. Even if GEJ did not notify him duly

You wallow in unprecedented idiocy. What is Shehu Sani's personal interest? Pls care to enlighten us. How do you appoint someone without proper and due notification? Or you think everyone is hungry for the oil money that Jonathan is foolishly throwing here and there?

Who in his right mind negotiates with terrorist? How do you reconcile that with grieving families who are crying for justice in this country over the agony and tears that Boko Haram has permanently subjected them to?

What has been the accomplishment of Jonathan over all the previous useless committees he has been setting up for one national matter or the other? If you cannot sit down and critically think, you are a hopeless entity in this country!
Re: Shehu Sani Rejects Appointment To Serve In Boko Haram Amnesty Committee by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 18, 2013
nne3870: Na Aboki names alone I dey see o,
Buhari's name should have been on the list, he knows the right words to use on his boys....

Initially nobody wants to associate themselves with boko( the so called faceless group) now all of them have agreed to intercede and speak to the 'faceless group'LoL
Who is fooling who?

Who is fooling who? YOU and YOUR PRESIDENT!!!

(1) (Reply)

Four Arrested For 'Rap..g' A Prostitute In Lagos / Kogireports.com Hacked By Islamic Ghost Team / Former Vice President, Atiku Abukakar – “I Am Not As Rich As Don Jazzy”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.