Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... (12871 Views)

Submit Your Question For The Head Of HR At The Nigerian Stock Exchange / Recruitment Consultant Trainee @ ETR / Trainee/graduate Recruitment Consultant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Ehimax(m): 8:34am On Apr 29, 2013
I used to have a small bizness(very small) its unregistered, can I add it in my CV as one of my working experience cos its embarrassing when interviewers tell me I don't have any working experience
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by agbaoyega(m): 8:40am On Apr 29, 2013
Lexusgs: Scenario - I am in my 30's and hope to retire @ 65 years old. An assumption that i would live till 85 - 90 ( and if i live over, my loss) How much do i have to set - aside to enjoy my retirement years ? And how do i invest it?
@ lexus i can give you a template you can use to calculate how much you should set aside monthly to enjoy your retirement years...
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 29, 2013
@OP, i asked you a question on the first page and you have since refused to respond. I hereby demand you do so as you solely put yourself in such a position!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by c4life: 10:22am On Apr 29, 2013
Please, what is the equivalent amount to the 'level Grade 8' salary in the state government work?
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by kismo(m): 10:25am On Apr 29, 2013
Lexusgs: Scenario - I am in my 30's and hope to retire @ 65 years old. An assumption that i would live till 85 - 90 ( and if i live over, my loss) How much do i have to set - aside to enjoy my retirement years ? And how do i invest it?
You can visit www.palpensions.com and use the template there to calculate it. You can walk into any of their offices in the country to make enquiry. You can open voluntary savings account with them. They have competitive returns on every kobo saved.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by kismo(m): 10:36am On Apr 29, 2013
For those asking how to answer question on salary, even if you know how much the company pays for the position you applied for, never give that figure if asked to say your salary expectation. For instance, if the company pays 100k, give them a range of 100k to 120k. But if the recruiter insists you give a round figure, then mention what they pay. Hope this helps.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by veriland(m): 11:20am On Apr 29, 2013
kismo:
You can visit www.palpensions.com and use the template there to calculate it. You can walk into any of their offices in the country to make enquiry. You can open voluntary savings account with them. They have competitive returns on every kobo saved.
1.when a recruiter ask u to send ur application an cv to an email,do he mean to say application leta or cover leta or wat??
2. How can I send a cv in pdf file
3.is it wise to send ur cv to a company even wen they are not recruiting at dt point in time.
4.what are d difernce btw a cover leta and an application leta.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Johnokon(m): 11:54am On Apr 29, 2013
rhymz: what are you talking about?
Am not talking. I am referring to techniques of analysis when faced with situations. Google swot analysis. If informed it is a management result attaining process just for knowledge anyway. Estimate process is an analytical taught process employed my the military in analysis
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Unkl(m): 4:22pm On Apr 29, 2013
Interesting thread op
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by kismo(m): 5:23pm On Apr 29, 2013
veriland:
1.when a recruiter ask u to send ur application an cv to an email,do he mean to say application leta or cover leta or wat??
3.is it wise to send ur cv to a company even wen they are not recruiting at dt point in time.
1. Yes, it means you should send your cv and application letter or cover letter to the email given. Application letter is the same thing as cover letter.
2. Type your C.V and cover letter using ms world 2010 and save as pdf instead of doc. But if you are using lower versions of ms world, you will need pdf converter to be able to convert your document to pdf. After this you can then send it as pdf.
3. Yes, provided you have their hr's email address or there is a way you can upload your C.V on their career portal. They may call you if you are lucky or meet their requirements.
4. There is no much difference between them.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by iebanehita(m): 10:55pm On Apr 29, 2013
veriland:

Permit me to answer ur 4th questn.

An Application letter has ur haus address and dt of d Company u r sending it while a Cover letter doesn't.

An Application letter aLways carry the Position u r applyin for as the Heading while a Cover letter doesn't bt d Positn is stated in d body of d letter.

An Applicatn letter does not aLways accompany a CV, odawise stated,,whereas a Cover letter aLways goes wit d CV,wen applyin for a job. Experts says it suggest u r very interestd in d job.

Bt d content of both is generally same.
Hp i was of help?

1 Like

Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by rhymz(m): 12:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
iebanehita:

Permit me to answer ur 4th questn.

An Application letter has ur haus address and dt of d Company u r sending it while a Cover letter doesn't.

An Application letter aLways carry the Position u r applyin for as the Heading while a Cover letter doesn't bt d Positn is stated in d body of d letter.

An Applicatn letter does not aLways accompany a CV, odawise stated,,whereas a Cover letter aLways goes wit d CV,wen applyin for a job. Experts says it suggest u r very interestd in d job.

Bt d content of both is generally same.
Hp i was of help?
I doubt you know what you are talking about. Cover letters and application letters are basically thesame and they carry both addresses. It is even allowed to state what is it you are applying for in a cover letter as a heading or in bold letters but you must not underline it.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:27pm On Apr 30, 2013
jerryben12:

Hope you don't mind me assisting with additional information on your thread? Recruiting and job placement is my passion. I have always had very good success rates when I prep candidates for job interviews.

Of course, the whole idea is to share knowledge and I may not be here all the time. The more, the merrier... PM me privately. Love to engage with recruiters or people interested in recruitment.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:39pm On Apr 30, 2013
rhymz: Don't ever try going through that line of being more Keen on the Job than the Salary, I tried it with the present company I am working for and I am regretting it, walahi. Most Nigerian employers even the once from foreign firm ask you this question to know if you understand the enormity of the Job you want, the moment you play too nice, they take it as you probably do not have the required experience or skills and need the job to get, next thing is to pay you what they think you should get and not neccessarily what is fair. I was asked thesame thing and I kept on talking about how I was more interested in gaining practical experience through the Job than what is fair as Salary. i ended up getting almost half of what my coleagues are presently getting. Effort to negotiate it has been very difficult and I suspect the HRM purposely does not make himself available once he knows I am the one waiting to see him; it is either he gives you another time to see him or claims to be in a meeting.
The best thing to do is to know the industry standard payment for your position and tell them, you will want to be paid based on that, if they ask to know whether you know the industry standard, you tell them. Act like you know your worth. Dont go there telling them you want to work while de-emphasizing the payment. Me presently sef, I want to leave the job and prolly explore banking jobs. . .they pay more and the job is not so physically tasking on like my present job. So use your head o.

I beg to disagree with you. Trust me, I recruit for multinationals and large regional companies across Africa, not just Nigeria and across graduate to MD level. I strongly recommend that you avoid discussing remuneration package during the 1st interview as it takes the shine off your experience or skills. Once you are called for another interview or assessment, then you can, but only if asked. I also strongly recommend for you to do a research and always answer with a range, not a specific figure (eg N5M - N7M). Remember that no two packages are exactly the same. Company A with N5M per year plus medical insurance, 20 leave days children education is not the same as Company B with N4.5M, medical insurance, education, pension contribution, 28 leave days and company car + driver. So it is always important to have a feel of the full benefits before negotiating.

Good luck all!!!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:42pm On Apr 30, 2013
van909: Thks OPS for dis thread. pls i have 2 question 2 ask
1 "tell us abt ur self" do i have to talk abt my personal data or talk abt me in general.
2"i went for an interview and was asked to analyze all about analytical skills. Pls throw more light on these cos we learn every day thanks

About you, especially as it relates to the role and company. Focus on your skills and experience that is relevant to the role you are interviewing for and the company as well. Do not go into too much detail as you will have enough time to do so.

All the best!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:45pm On Apr 30, 2013
goodsegs: Hello,
i am currently working as a permanent staff with an IT firm.But i got a juicy offer with a third party company to an Oil company.is a contract position that will be renewed after every one year.Now,my fear is that,what if the contract is not renewed at the end of the first year? It may put me under alot of pressure.I am yet to accept the offer as i told them to give me one week to decide.Now,someone advised i ask them to make me a 2 years contract offer on a goal.I am yet to relay this to the firm,but how do you think is best to negotiate this deal? the offer is good and i do not want it to sly.Kindly advise.

I strongly recommend you negotiate a 2yr renewable contract even if you get a little cut. Trust me, one year goes really fast and it is not usually long enough to have a huge impact, so chances are that if they are looking to retrench staff you will be on the list before long-serving staff. I know it is tempting, but thinking long term and having some stability is ultimately better...

Goodluck!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:48pm On Apr 30, 2013
careytommy: what's the best cv, resume and cover letter format for an unemployed physical science graduate?
what are my chances of employment being that i'm 30 and finished my nysc 2years ago?
what do i do since i've misplaced my nysc discharge cert?

Unfortunately, there is no one-type of CV or cover letter as each needs to be tailoured to each role you apply to.

All the best!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:53pm On Apr 30, 2013
rhymz: Don't ever try going through that line of being more Keen on the Job than the Salary, I tried it with the present company I am working for and I am regretting it, walahi. Most Nigerian employers even the once from foreign firm ask you this question to know if you understand the enormity of the Job you want, the moment you play too nice, they take it as you probably do not have the required experience or skills and need the job to get, next thing is to pay you what they think you should get and not neccessarily what is fair. I was asked thesame thing and I kept on talking about how I was more interested in gaining practical experience through the Job than what is fair as Salary. i ended up getting almost half of what my coleagues are presently getting. Effort to negotiate it has been very difficult and I suspect the HRM purposely does not make himself available once he knows I am the one waiting to see him; it is either he gives you another time to see him or claims to be in a meeting.
The best thing to do is to know the industry standard payment for your position and tell them, you will want to be paid based on that, if they ask to know whether you know the industry standard, you tell them. Act like you know your worth. Dont go there telling them you want to work while de-emphasizing the payment. Me presently sef, I want to leave the job and prolly explore banking jobs. . .they pay more and the job is not so physically tasking on like my present job. So use your head o.

In my experience, companies will always offer you a package slightly less than your value as they always assume people will negotiate. It is unfortunate they offered you way less than your colleagues, but there are many factors that may result in that apart from negotiation. Many companies have specific remuneration structure for specific positions. It is usually a range and they can offer anyone in that position anything within that range. A lot will depend on how good you sounded during your interview, how they value your expertise and to a smaller extent, how you are able to negotiate.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:55pm On Apr 30, 2013
pash4naija:

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm sort of passionate about recruitment so I'd love to contribute and learn as well...

Please continue, the more, the merrier...
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:56pm On Apr 30, 2013
goldenboi: @OP pls how serious do recruitment firms take the issue of years of experience?

Keep up the good work.

Very serious. If they ask for it, then they want to know as it is part of the screening process...

Thanks.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 8:58pm On Apr 30, 2013
emveepee: Thank you OP for this topic. My question is, What are the possible questions an interviewer may ask during an interview for a banking job? Anxiously waiting for an answer on this.

This one is impossible to answer as there are a million and one banking job and each require a different set of skills. If you are a little more specific, I may be able to help. Thanks.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:05pm On Apr 30, 2013
Kingspin: Helo;
I want to know how an internship job seeker can try to convince his interviewer that he/she can do the job especially when the interviewee lackt the experience which most time is a challenge.How do we go about it both in oral and writing.Thank U.

An internship or any sort of experience is always valuable. The value increases the more it is related to the role you are applying for. Ensure you familiarise yourself with the job description and what the company does, then reflect on the skills you gained during your internship as well as other skills. Next, connect them and stress the skills that you think are relevant to the role. Top it up with examples - clearly describing what you did, how, why and the result.

Good luck!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:09pm On Apr 30, 2013
ify4king: @op, I was invited 4 an interview wit a reputable firm for a position I never applied for, though I hv applied 4 several positions in dat same coy but for this position they re inviting me, I didnt apply 4 it, wat should I do?

The reason you were invited is because companies keep your details when you apply for a role. Even if you are not successful, they keep it on file and contact you when a suitable role comes up. The 1st thing you should ask yourself is it you are interested in the role. If you are, ask for more information eg job description, why the role has become vacant, why they shortlisted you. The more you know, the more you are able to determine if the role is right for you and prepare adequately for it.

All the best!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2013
gbokukueba:

I agree with you absolutely i work in HR and see how people shortchange themselves when it comes to the minimum they can go for in terms of salarirs they keep dribbling the interviewer and emphasizing on how the job is the best thing to happen since slice bread... Know your worth, understand industry average and determine your minimum...

I totally agree with the last part of the statement... It is always important to know your lower limit for any role you apply for and work your way upwards...
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:20pm On Apr 30, 2013
van909: Thanks guys for answering my question I'm really grateful. Pls I have another question to ask.
There's is an international public health firm in abuja dat are recruiting and candidates were told to "STATE BOLDLY @ THE TOP OF THE RESUME SALARY EXPECTAION" how can I no the salary expectaion I googled the organisation but couldn't get a clue about their pay. Should I write my current salary cos they said that "SALARY WILL BE COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND SALARY HISTORY.
Pls I need advice cos I like to work with them. Thanks

Research on what similar organisations pay for similar roles and use that as the basis to determine a figure. If you still can't find anything and running out of time, state your current package and that you are open to discussing a higher package at a later time if shortlisted. This will buy you enough time to do more research. To be honest with you, the remuneration package for many roles can be found online, you just need to research more for some roles.

Good luck!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:21pm On Apr 30, 2013
lukmonolakunmi: @ op, pls i wld want 2 av a sample each of a cover letter n a resume., av tried viewin dem on my fone but cld'nt. Pls help out thanks...

There are loads online. Just google.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:27pm On Apr 30, 2013
rhymz: To tell you the trith, I hardly send my CV together with a cover letter unless it was stated on the job placement. And when I write my cover letters I try so much not to sound cliché cos I have noticed most people send thesame cover letters to different job placements. Your best bet when writing a cover letter is to sound as natural as possible, emphasize on your skills and strength as it relates to the job you applied for. Don't repeat information you already have on the CV instead explore them. Be short and precise, use simple english and a good mix of long and short sentences. The major thing in cover letters is; emphasize your strength and skills as it relates to the job. If you can't write it, find somebody who can, don't force youtself to write it only to sound unintelligent.
Another, on your CV, if you know you did not graduate with a 2.1 CGPA, don't emphasize on it, just write second class honours, or second class division, don't go and start putting 2nd class lower division, you will only limit your chances of being given the opportunity to be heard for interviews, tests and so on. . . It will be better they know about your CGPA after the opportunity of an impressive interview or exam score than before it.

I agree. However, while I feel cover letters are appropriate sometimes, they are not all the time. If the application requires it, send with a summary of your skills and experience that relates to the role, focusing on why you are right for it, but always end in such a way that the recruiter will want to learn more... Do not be tempted to write too much. It should never be more than one page. 1/2 to 3/4 of a page is ideal.

All the best!
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:37pm On Apr 30, 2013
kreal: pls wat is likely answer to interview question like'why did u want to work with our company'

There is no one right answer, however and try to avoid cliches. Before you apply for a role, think of why you are applying for it. Is it because you are interested in building a related career, is it project-based and is there room for you to develop specific skills.

In Nigeria, a lot of people apply for any role for only financial reasons, which I understand. However, you still need to be convincing that you are motivated and willing to commit. The first step is to reflect on the role and the skills it requires and you will be developing in the course of your day to day activities. The exposure the role will give you is also something you can stress on. Does the role require you to travel internationally, does it require you to work with people from other departments, superiors or subordinates... You will definitely be gaining international knowledge, managerial skills or the opportunity to learn from industry experts... The more you know about the role and company, the more you are able to answer.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:46pm On Apr 30, 2013
Ima':
Nice thread OP, please I would like to know if job seekers that hold degrees obtained online( local universities/ international universities) are considered during the selection process. My concen is are online degrees recognized or accepted?

Also with the discrimination between HND and Bsc holders in nigeria, what is your advice to an HND holder who has the opportunity of going for any one of he following: Bsc, Pgd or Masters degree. Which of these should he go for?
Thanks.

I suggest you do not stress your degree is online on your CV. It is not necessary. What is important is that you have a relevant degree. However, if asked, be honest.

With regards to a further degree, ultimately, the decision lies with you, but keep it in mind that many companies that have an issue with it will still have an issue even with an MSc. Trust me, I have seen it happen over and over again. It is really unfortunate as many HND graduate are better than BSc holders.

I hope this helps...
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 9:53pm On Apr 30, 2013
IfionuVal: Nice job done here,Pls what should be the format of my Cover letter if I'm asked to send it with my C.V.? should it be like d usual formal letter? i.e having sender's address,date, receiver's addr.,salutation,title,signature and the rest?

There is no right or wrong way to write a cover letter. Check the link below to review some examples.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverlettersamples/a/coverlettsample.htm
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Hope49ja: 10:05pm On Apr 30, 2013
blaze007: Am enjoyn diz. My questin is, wat abt if its a new company nd u probably 1st set of stafs nd dey askng 4 hw much 2 pay, hw wil 1 ansa diz since u dnt ve any idea? Tanx

It doesn't matter how big, small new old a company or role is. There is always a similar role and company size you can draw on to decide. It amazing what you can find online. Just research...

Good luck!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

National Unity And Peace Corps. / Hear My Testimony / Standard Chartered Bank International Graduate Programme 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.