Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,815 members, 7,813,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral (1030 Views)

Army Officer, Woman Clash At BEDC Headquarters (photo) / Pictures From Oluwole Awolowo's Funeral / Oluwole Awolowo Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by thrugemaster(m): 8:15am On Apr 20, 2013
By DAUD OLATUNJI, Abeokuta

The funeral service held for late Chairman of Tribune titles, Chief Oluwole Awolowo on Friday was almost disrupted following the clash between protocol officials of the Federal Government and their counterparts from Ogun State Government.

Confusion started few minutes before the commencement of the programme which was held at Our Saviour’s Anglican Church Ikenne, when one of the Protocol officials of the State government asked some members of the delegation of the Federal Government to vacate the front seats for the State governor Ibikunle Amosun and other governors.

The Federal Government delegation which comprises, the President Spokesman, Dr. Reuben Abati, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashriru, Minister of State ,Federal Capital Territory, Mrs. Olajumoke Akinjide and Special Assistant to President Jonathan on Policy and Strategies, Mr. Oronto Douglas had already occupied the front seats in the Church before the arrival of the state government protocol officials.
The clash of interest between the two governments’ officials was hinged on who should sit on the first seats in the Church that had already been reserved for dignitaries.

The Protocol officials of the Federal Government became infuriated over the action of their counterparts in the State government who insisted that, only one person from the delegation of the Presidency would be allowed to sit on the front seat.

The issue almost got out of hand before a grand child in the Awolowo family, Segun begged them not to disrupt his uncle’s funeral service.

There was a pin-drop silence in the Church during the crisis which prompted a quick adjustment to accommodate Amosun and his wife on the same seat and the issue was put to rest for a while.

However, when the Minister of Information Mr Labaran Maku later arrived the Church after the first crisis had been resolved, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru had to leave the seat for him.

The crisis later reared its ugly head when another set of seats were arranged in the front for the five Governors that were at the service.

This development did not go down well with the delegation of the President who resisted it but were ignored.

The crisis got to its peak when the moderator called the representative of the President to speak before the governor of the State contrary to the order of protocol.

The Labaran Maku-led delegation ignored the call and did not stand up to deliver the President speech. The gesture put the programme on hold for a while before one of the Awolowo daughters, Tokunbo Awolowo-Dosunmu quickly went to the moderator to correct him.

Governor Ibikunle Amosun while making his remarks publicly acknowledged the flop in the protocol, saying the Presidency would make the final speech as the protocol demands. The President’s representative later spoke last.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/fg-ogsg-protocol-officials-clash-at-awos-funeral/
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by wilywily9: 8:30am On Apr 20, 2013
In this part of Nigeria, always remember the children of Akintola and Awolowo when stepping foot on their land, anything can happen, they are unpredictable.
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by EkoAtlantic: 9:31am On Apr 20, 2013
Shameless FG, fight with Lagos, Oyo, Ogun... Won't be surprised if this same FG has issue with ebonyi cheesy
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by talktimi(m): 9:57am On Apr 20, 2013
Some people who don't know s#it about protocol will soon come up here and start spouting rubbish. Shebi Amosun himself apologised for the glich at the end of the day
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by talktimi(m): 9:58am On Apr 20, 2013
Some people who don't know s#it about protocol will soon come up here and start spouting rubbish. Shebi Amosun himself apologised for the glich at the end of the day. This is what happens when you put thugs and touts in complex positions.
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by thirty(m): 10:34am On Apr 20, 2013
talktimi: Some people who don't know s#it about protocol will soon come up here and start spouting rubbish. Shebi Amosun himself apologised for the glich at the end of the day. This is what happens when you put thugs and touts in complex positions.
Why and for what reason did Gov. Amosu apologised? Because some FG dignitaries were molested, he need to apologise. As a chief host and a leader who respect others, he need to apologise. Tell the FG delegates to learn how to observe the protocol wherever they are or else molestatation will always come their way. Charity begins in Abuja, it does not end there.
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by thirty(m): 10:36am On Apr 20, 2013
talktimi: Some people who don't know s#it about protocol will soon come up here and start spouting rubbish. Shebi Amosun himself apologised for the glich at the end of the day. This is what happens when you put thugs and touts in complex positions.
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by talktimi(m): 10:41am On Apr 20, 2013
thirty:
Why and for what reason did Gov. Amosu apologised? Because some FG dignitaries were molested, he need to apologise. As a chief host and a leader who respect others, he need to apologise. Tell the FG delegates to learn how to observe the protocol wherever they are or else molestatation will always come their way. Charity begins in Abuja, it does not end there.
Welcome afterall I knew your type will soon swamp this thread but I advice that you should ask any protocol officer working for any arm of the government you know about the order of precedence involving high ranking officials at occassions. I guess you think everything is as simple as an owambe party.
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by OAM4J: 10:48am On Apr 20, 2013
Blame the organisers.

1 Like

Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by thrugemaster(m): 1:57pm On Apr 20, 2013
lack of humility
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by vizboy(m): 2:04pm On Apr 20, 2013
And why should I care. When these oldmen both Fg and Ogsg are foolin them self.
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by kutchs: 2:12pm On Apr 20, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Shameless FG, fight with Lagos, Oyo, Ogun... Won't be surprised if this same FG has issue with ebonyi cheesy
I don‘t expect any less from you, you are true to type: shameless and hypocrital. You would want an LG chairman to respect a governor but ur ACN gov shouldn‘t respect the FG.
Tell me if Jonathan had attended the function where would you have kept him?

1 Like

Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by EkoIle1: 2:15pm On Apr 20, 2013
It doesn't matter who you are, you go by your host's set protocol. Not suprised anyways, the federal thugs are always lousy guests.

The famous PDP fight over small gather bridge event in the same Ogun state comes mind...

smh..
Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by Tolexander: 2:23pm On Apr 20, 2013
Had the organizers made the right settings, the event would have gone the right way.

The organisers should have made an arrangement for the dignitaries coming to grace the funeral ceremony. E.g create the settings for the federal character coming and another settings for the state functionaries cos they are of different political parties and many things at the ceremony may be politicized.

The moderator shouldn't have been so daft enough to have overlooked and missed the order of service cos that is ripped enough to aggravate the current rile as it had done.

Above all, maturity should have allowed to play its part at the church by both the state and federal representative at least to respect the dead and God.

1 Like

Re: FG, OGSG Protocol Officials Clash At Oluwole Awolowo’s Funeral by EkoIle1: 2:39pm On Apr 20, 2013

[b]The tension heightened at the scene, when Bankole, who got to Sango-Ota shortly before the bridge was commissioned by the Minister, noticed that the project inauguration exercise had been performed.

Immediately Daniel realised that Bankole was approaching the bridge, he stopped his address and stood up with the Minister to declare open the flyover.

Apparently disturbed by the turn of the event, Bankole moved to the white Coaster bus which conveyed both Daniel and Daggash, stopped the vehicle and went straight inside it.

Click here to see more photos

Daniel, in his speech, had told audience waiting for the commissioning that they should ensure that they allow Speaker, House of Representatives, Hon. Dimeji Bankole, be aware that the flyover to be commissioned was not the project he was supposed to witness, adding that Bankole was there to make unnecessary movement for political reason.

Bankole went directly into the Coaster bus of the governor to prevent the driver from plying the bridge. Though what transpired among the Speaker, Governor and the Minister while inside the vehicle was not known to journalists but people began to take cover when aides of Bankole and Daniel almost engaged in a shooting spree.

A source close to the Ogun State government said that Bankole told the Minister: “So you have invited me here to embarrass me enh? So you have the guts to cut the tape before me? This will be your last assignment. Anyway, follow me.”

He reportedly turned to the governor and said: “Who the hell do you think you are? You have commissioned the bridge before my arrival, how can you do a thing like that?”

Dagash who cut the tape to commission the bridge was accompanied by Daniel and the Olota of Ota, Oba Moshood Oyede. The monarch who in company of his chiefs left the scene when the imbroglio started.

Daniel told the crowd that the project was the good work of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, adding: “The project was conceptualized and commenced by Obasanjo and we are happy that it was in his presence that the project is commissioned”.

Reacting to the drama, the Speaker said:”No, no, no. I wasn’t locked out of anywhere. A bridge was commissioned and that is what I want to say. There was no fracas among supporters. That one is what I want to assure you. No, there was no power play between me and anybody. I only had a discussion with the governor and the minister in the Coaster bus. I wasn’t late to the commissioning.

My interest is to make sure that there is Federal Government presence in Ogun State and that is what we managed to do by the government completing the Ota Bridge which was commissioned today. Apart from that, I am not really interested in any other thing that went on there. I am just glad that the commissioning was done and I am looking forward to more projects being commissioned in the state.”

[b]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/07/ota-bridge-bankole-daniel-daggash-in-hot-exchange-of-words/

(1) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathanshould Be Impeached - Joel Brinkley Of The LA Times / The Last Thing Fashola Has To Remove From Lagos Landscape / Gowon, Danjuma, Berate Obasanjo Over Letter To Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.