Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,009 members, 7,863,666 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 10:54 PM

Damilola Taylor’s Mother Dies In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Damilola Taylor’s Mother Dies In London (874 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Mother Dies In Car Crash / Dele Giwa's Mother Dies At 87 / Late DIG Haruna's Mother Dies Of Shock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Damilola Taylor’s Mother Dies In London by bluehorizo(m): 10:20am On Apr 10, 2008
The mother of slain Nigerian-born Damilola Taylor, Mrs. Gloria Taylor, died on Tuesday of a heart attack.

The 57-year-old collapsed after suffering a suspected heart attack while walking with her husband, Richard, near her home in Shooters Hill, south-east London. Her son, Damilola, 10, had bled to death on a stairwell on the North Peckham estate in south London in November 2000 after being stabbed in the leg with a broken beer bottle.

The Press Association of London reported that the 57-year-old woman collapsed after suffering a suspected heart attack while walking near her home in Shooters Hill, south-east London.

Colleagues at the Damilola Taylor Trust, which she founded with husband, Richard, in 2001, said she had been feeling unwell for more than a week.

A British internet publication, Greenwich, said the police were called to reports of a woman taken ill in the street at 7.50pm on Tuesday. A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said she was taken to a south London hospital with a suspected heart attack and was pronounced dead a short time later.

A post-mortem examination is expected in due course, the British Broadcasting Corporation quoted the unnamed spokesman as saying. He added that the incident was not being treated as suspicious.

UK Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Ian Blair, said his thoughts and those of ”many, many” colleagues were with the Taylor family. He said, “I’m sure that, like me, many people were moved by the dignified and impressive way that Gloria and Richard Taylor dealt with the tragedy of Damilola‘s terrible death and the high profile inquiries that followed it.

“I know that their fortitude throughout the three criminal trials, together with their almost unshakeable faith that the truth would be known, was a great comfort and inspiration to Metropolitan Police officers and staff who worked so hard on the investigations.”

London Mayor, Ken Livingstone, who has worked closely with both Mrs Taylor and her husband, Richard, said he was deeply saddened. He said, “I was always struck by her dignity, courage and determination to give hope and opportunity for young people in London.”

The late Gloria dedicated her life to helping underprivileged young people after the death of her son almost eight years ago. Her son’s killers, Danny and Rickie Preddie, are serving eight-year terms.

After her son’s death, she dedicated her life to working for underprivileged young people. The Damilola Taylor Trust was launched to mark the first anniversary of Damilola‘s death in November 2001 and she said it aimed to provide hope and opportunities for Britain‘s ”downtrodden and underprivileged youth.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804103151748

May her soul rest in peace. She grieved till death. I felt her pains.
Re: Damilola Taylor’s Mother Dies In London by lucabrasi(m): 12:20pm On Apr 10, 2008
may her soul rest in perfect peace,she s suffered enough and t least she has gone to be with her son sad
Re: Damilola Taylor’s Mother Dies In London by ifyalways(f): 4:26pm On Apr 10, 2008
May she find peace with her maker.adieu
Re: Damilola Taylor’s Mother Dies In London by jaybee3(m): 4:41pm On Apr 10, 2008
May her soul finally rest in perfect peace.
On the other hand though, i wonder how the topic is related to politics. Methinks news id actually more suited to breaking news as such or perhaps "crime" as dats d root of dami's story (Stabbed and subsequently bled to death in peckham)

(1) (Reply)

Bauchi Governor Under Fire Over N65b Spending On Wives, Others / Our clueless president should read this (if he can read!) / All Niger Delta Militants Are Armed Robbers - Why Dont They Do Suicide Bombing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.