Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,310 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? (133291 Views)

Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Top Twenty Most Developed Countries By HDI / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by asha80(m): 8:50am On Apr 21, 2013
Vision2017:
I believe other posts in response to yours says it all. Also those preferences of yours in a 'small town' are only but a mirage and I don't see Delta attaining such by 2050. Yes, Nigeria as a whole is beclouded with leadership problem but Delta's case is something different with hooligans and cabals occupying even not too juicy positions as school principals. I look at this categorically and I can't help but feel pity for Deltans cause they all live in the rellics of the past age which Thomas Hobbes described as solitary,nasty, brutal and short life span. Forget all this media hypes about Delta on TV. Delta with all her oil could still be likened to Zamfara and Sokoto which today ranks amongst the poorest states in Nigeria. I repeat, there is nothing on ground in Delta caused I have been opportuned to tour round the nook and crannies of the state.
on the contrary i am not glorifieng delta but i was responding to the your comment about delta towns being surrounded by forests as if to imply destruction of vegetation to be replaced by urban jungles that dot nigerias landscape is a sign of development.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by asha80(m): 9:00am On Apr 21, 2013
abdulkayus: Hey dude, ur list is trash. D only develop states i will say are Lagos, Abuja and den maybe Kano.
All d Anambra, Akwa ibom, oyo, delta and Edo are still glorified town. Which malls dey Anambra. Anambra is overhyped abeg.
kano (kano city) is an urban jungle.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by ChuckBoi93(m): 9:04am On Apr 21, 2013
@OP
It seems like you were born and bred in Lagos hence you know nothing about anywhere other than Lagos (and maybe Abuja thanks to Nollywood). As far as I'm concerned, Anambra shouldn't be in that list. If your topic was about the most populated states in Nigeria then I would have caved but since it's otherwise, I refuse to budge.
There are no shopping malls in Anambra!
There are no good roads in Anambra; not even in Awka where the governor lives. You need to see the deputy governor's street - pathetic.
No skyscraper (I haven't seen any) in Onitsha nor Awka.
Enugu's much better in terms of development than Anambra, Delta, Edo or Oyo. Good road-networks, awesome buildings, lots of supermarkets, shopping malls (like Shoprite) and yes, nice people.

Get your facts right, dude.

6 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by peleson: 9:12am On Apr 21, 2013
cnnamoko: from my numerous tours all over 9ja, i have come to realise that these states are the most developed...just my observations, or what do you think?

1. Lagos
2. Anambra
3. Kano
4. Enugu
5. Akwa Ibom
6. Rivers
7. Kaduna
8. Oyo
9. Kastina
10.Delta
Remove anambra n put Cross River. In anyways, ur list is not according to order of development
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:17am On Apr 21, 2013
ChuckBoi93: @OP
It seems like you were born and bred in Lagos hence you know nothing about anywhere other than Lagos (and maybe Abuja thanks to Nollywood). As far as I'm concerned, Anambra shouldn't be in that list. If your topic was about the most populated states in Nigeria then I would have caved but since it's otherwise, I refuse to budge.
There are no good roads in Anambra; not even in Awka where the governor lives. You need to see the deputy governor's street - pathetic.
Enugu's much better in terms of development than Anambra, Delta, Edo or Oyo. Good road-networks, awesome buildings, lots of supermarkets, shopping malls (like Shoprite) and yes, nice people.

We are talking about developments like markets, industries, roads, etc not shopping malls (shoprite) awesome buildings those things are not real development BTW apart from Enugu which other town is develop in Enugu state in the road issue take ur time drive around the two states u will discover that no town in Anambra that is not connected by road network but that cant be said of Enugu many towns are not connected by roads in Enugu

11 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Rooneyboy(m): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2013
asha 80: what about edo,ogun?

The thing tire me ooo , and Anambra made it on his list.

SMH .
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Rooneyboy(m): 9:21am On Apr 21, 2013
Ucheosefoh: We are talking about developments like markets, industries, roads, etc not shopping malls (shoprite) awesome buildings those things are not real development BTW apart from Enugu which other town is develop in Enugu state in the road issue take ur time drive around the two states u will discover that no town in Anambra that is not connected by road network but that cant be said of Enugu many towns are not connected by roads in Enugu

Obviously u are blindly biased .

I choose not to engage u on this crap u wrote .

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by OmoTier1(m): 9:23am On Apr 21, 2013
asha 80: then you probably have not been to the countryside of developed nations.i wonder how urbanised they are but they are still developed.migrating to some places that are urbanised does not necessarily mean those places are developmed.it can mean there more cash exchanging hands in that location.development goes beyod people erecting houses indiscrimately everywhere in an area or packing themselves like sardines in an area.
Can I candidly advice you to consult the dictionary and check for the definition of urbanisation? A place cannot be urbanised if it has not got a comparative advantage to other places, hence the reason an urbanised area is developed. It becomes subjective what you call development. Your example of country side being developed is a misnomer else they would not be called countryside aka glorified name for rural area. Going by your example again, money will exchange hands only if the sophistication in trade and commerce of that place is more developed compared to the other places, again this does not fit in the definition of development according to the United Nations habitat...http://www.un-documents.net/ocf-02.htm
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Rooneyboy(m): 9:24am On Apr 21, 2013

100,000 likes .

Thank u for being truthful.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by asha80(m): 9:28am On Apr 21, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Can I candidly advice you to consult the dictionary and check for the definition of urbanisation? A place cannot be urbanised if it has not got a comparative advantage to other places, hence the reason an urbanised area is developed. It becomes subjective what you call development. Your example of country side being developed is a misnomer else they would not be called countryside aka glorified name for rural area. Going by your example again, money will exchange hands only if the sophistication in trade and commerce of that place is more developed compared to the other places, again this does not fit in the definition of development according to the United Nations habitat...

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by OmoTier1(m): 9:32am On Apr 21, 2013
asha 80: then if that is the case onitsha is more developed than benin since cash transaction is higher in onitsha than benin.
You do not use one component.. Go back to the link. I posted in the update to my post... That will give you a better perspective on development and its sustainability. Development encompasses not just trade and commerce, but infrastructure, culture and well being.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Rooneyboy(m): 9:34am On Apr 21, 2013
liberty300: My list:
1. Lagos
2. Anambra
3. Enugu
4. Rivers
5. Akwa ibom
6. Kano
....and the rest

Nigeria will never be a better place Until when people like u start saying things the way they are.

How dare u put Anambra on that list

Even above Akwa-ibom
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by asha80(m): 9:37am On Apr 21, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
You do not use one component.. Go back to the link. I posted in the update to my post... That will give you a better perspective on development and its sustainability. Development encompasses not just trade and commerce, but infrastructure, culture and well being.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by amAZEing: 9:43am On Apr 21, 2013
Rank State GDP (2011;
in millions of USD)

1 Lagos State US$33,679
2 Rivers State US$21,073
3 Abia State US$18,687
4 Delta State US$16,749
5 Oyo State US$16,121
6 Imo State US$14,212
7 Kano State US$12,393
8 Edo State US$11,888

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by IGBOSON1: 9:55am On Apr 21, 2013
asha 80: i wonder why we confuse urbanization with development.

^^^Exactly! I know i may draw some flack here, but Anambra is more urbanised than developed. When I talk of a developed state, states that are approaching such a status are Abuja, Akwa Ibom and parts of Lagos (mind you, for now we're talking more of the state capital here).

A developed state should have some (or all) of the following: an integrated inter/intracity transportation system consisting of buses, trains, taxis, boats, etc; constant power supply; constant water supply; an adequate and well equipped health service; adequate waste disposal service; adequate security; leisure, entertainment and tourist centres like parks, theatres, museums, 5-star Hotels, Golf clubs, gyms, etc; readily accessible maps of city layouts either in hard or softcopies; an airport or two; a well-appointed and spotless business district; gov't/private enabled mass housing; serene and beautiful upperclass residential areas for high networth individuals/families.

So you see that we still have a long way to go; but if things are done fairly in this country, with everyone allowed the space and resources to develop at their own pace, and with good visionary leadership in place, i see cities like Onitsha, Aba, Enugu, Owerri, Gombe, Portharcourt, Kano and Abeokuta getting close to such a standard in the next 10 years; this is why we should elect a Solu.. the right kind of leaders for our respective states.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by asha80(m): 10:01am On Apr 21, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Exactly! I know i may draw some flack here, but Anambra is more urbanised than developed. When I talk of a developed state, states that are approaching such a status are Abuja, Akwa Ibom and parts of Lagos (mind you, for now we're talking more of the state capital here).

A developed state should have some (or all) of the following: an integrated inter/intracity transportation system consisting of buses, trains, taxis, boats, etc; constant power supply; constant water supply; an adequate and well equipped health service; adequate waste disposal service; adequate security; leisure, entertainment and tourist centres like parks, theatres, museums, 5-star Hotels, Golf clubs, gyms, etc; readily accessible maps of city layouts either in hard or softcopies; an airport or two; a well-appointed and spotless business district; gov't/private enabled mass housing; serene and beautiful upperclass residential areas for high networth individuals/families.

So you see that we still have a long way to go; but if things are done fairly in this country, with everyone allowed the space and resources to develop at their own pace, and with good visionary leadership in place, i see cities like Onitsha, Aba, Enugu Abakaliki and Owerri getting close to such a standard in the next 10 years; this is why we should elect a Solu.. the right kind of leaders for our respective states.
hehe this sounds like campaign for soludo but i get your drift.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by IGBOSON1: 10:05am On Apr 21, 2013
amAZEing: Rank State GDP (2011;
in millions of USD)

1 Lagos State US$33,679
2 Rivers State US$21,073
3 Abia State US$18,687
4 Delta State US$16,749
5 Oyo State US$16,121
6 Imo State US$14,212
7 Kano State US$12,393
8 Edo State US$11,888

^^^Amazing, where did you get those figures from? Honestly if they're correct, i'm impressed with some states up there that are making it even against all the odds and obstacles they've faced.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by punche(m): 10:26am On Apr 21, 2013
If Ogun state and Abia state isn't inclusive then the list is wrong... industrialisation is a major factor.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by ken43: 10:27am On Apr 21, 2013
musiwa24: 1. River state Is the most developed in Nigeria because it has Nigeria govt largest investment worth billion in oil.
2. Lagos
3 Akwa Ibom invisible 70 oil platform
4 Kaduna host the military
5 Kano host textile
6 Bayelsa i was shock to see alot of develop
7 Anambra
8 Enugu
9 delta
Aproko!!!!who beg ‎u τ̲̅ȍ rate?Go and learn how τ̲̅ȍ use english grammar wella gringringrin
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Thermythorpe(f): 10:28am On Apr 21, 2013
embarassed angry una no dey go church ni?

See ur life..
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by FKO1(m): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2013
Vision2017: Delta shouldn't make the list. Truth be told, there are only 2 major cities in Delta and these are Asaba the state capital and Warri. Other glorified towns cum cities are only but a mere shadow of what a city should be. Delta is mostly beclouded by thick bushes and forest virtually everywhere. Nothing is happening in Delta and I can't help but wonder why Delta made your list of the most developed state in Nigeria. Delta remains a dungeon where wild animals thrives
VILLAGE MENTALITY

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by jmoore(m): 10:31am On Apr 21, 2013
no state in Nigeria is really developed.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 21, 2013
asha 80: i wonder why we confuse urbanization with development.

Because Urbanization is a form of development. Development is non-specific, it means - significant change, growth etc.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by ken43: 10:32am On Apr 21, 2013
Rooneyboy:

Nigeria will never be a better place Until when people like u start saying things the way they are.

How dare u put Anambra on that list

Even above Akwa-ibom
why won't Amambra be on d listabi crazee d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ worry ur FadA
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Ibukune(m): 10:34am On Apr 21, 2013
Rivers With all the trash and waste dat litters Rumuodara and rumuokoro in PH d states capital.
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:34am On Apr 21, 2013
Rooneyboy:

Obviously u are blindly biased .

I choose not to engage u on this crap u wrote .
go figure guy Anambra is more develop than Enugu state
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by AHA1(m): 10:37am On Apr 21, 2013
NIGERIANS SELF, I TIRE FOR UNA
JUST BECOS THEM BUILD 3 SKYSCRAPERS INSIDE SLUM,
UNA THINK SAY THE SLUM DON BECOME DUBAI.

You guys should wake up from your slumper !
No State in Nigeria is developed,not even Abuja angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by ken43: 10:37am On Apr 21, 2013

•̸№ be people Papa d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ build skyscraper ,Malls and all the stuff ‎u mentionedHow many ur Fada don buildAbi na Churchratgringringrin
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by FKO1(m): 10:38am On Apr 21, 2013
Vision2017:
I believe other posts in response to yours says it all. Also those preferences of yours in a 'small town' are only but a mirage and I don't see Delta attaining such by 2050. Yes, Nigeria as a whole is beclouded with leadership problem but Delta's case is something different with hooligans and cabals occupying even not too juicy positions as school principals. I look at this categorically and I can't help but feel pity for Deltans cause they all live in the rellics of the past age which Thomas Hobbes described as solitary,nasty, brutal and short life span. Forget all this media hypes about Delta on TV. Delta with all her oil could still be likened to Zamfara and Sokoto which today ranks amongst the poorest states in Nigeria. I repeat, there is nothing on ground in Delta caused I have been opportuned to tour round the nook and crannies of the state.
I CAN EVIDENTLY SAY DAT EVERYTIN D QOUTED POSTER SAID S TRASH
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by Ucheosefoh(m): 10:39am On Apr 21, 2013
Thermythorpe: embarassed angry una no dey go church ni?

See ur life..
Wetin u de do here (preaching in church abi)
Re: 10 Most Developed States In Nigeria: What Do You Think? by ACMTEN: 10:39am On Apr 21, 2013
I've been to several states in the west, south-south, south-east middlebelt and some northern states. I can comfortably say that Abuja, Lagos, Anambra, Enugu deserves to be in that list.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent / Breaking News - Another Explosion In Kaduna Today / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.