Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,976 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! (9287 Views)

What's Your Worst Cooking/kitchen Chore? / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore?? / What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by lucabrasi(m): 10:10pm On Apr 19, 2008
tried to fry raw meat and it ended up in the bin years ago in naij,also tried to roast frozen turkey in naij and ended up burning it as it wont roast know better now tho
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Nobody: 10:40pm On Apr 19, 2008
Lmao @ raw meat grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by dee02(m): 11:33pm On Apr 19, 2008
shitting in a steaming pot of rice accidentally because i was pressed!

and also, accidentally spitting phlegm in a pot of soup!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by tipsy289(m): 8:14am On Apr 20, 2008
Salt problem.I just dont handle that situation right.
I remember making sardine egg when i was like 10.I packed salt into the bowl and mixed it.Oh boy,it was just salt i fried that day and was nasty as hell
Now but not too bad,egg problem i have resolved but i keep forgetting to add salt to rice,spaghetti, whoa thank God i dont make my sauce because the combination will be wack.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Cadet(f): 5:11am On Apr 21, 2008
SeanT21:

but i can't stand the fire alarms. they are annoying as hell!!

I know right!! It's worst than a fly buzzing in your hears. So bleeping loud too!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by SeanT21(f): 5:03pm On Apr 21, 2008
Cadet:

I know right!! It's worst than a fly buzzing in your hears. So bleeping loud too!

yep. Me and my brothers took it out because it was soo annoying. Just take yours out. Unplug it from the ceiling
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Cadet(f): 2:31am On Apr 22, 2008
SeanT21:

yes. Me and my brothers took it out because it was soo annoying. Just take yours out. Unplug it from the ceiling
hehehe. . It has a button you can just press to make it stop tongue unplug it out ke? Then I gotta put it back
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by whitedwarf: 9:50am On Apr 22, 2008
[color=#770077][/color]
Mine happened when I was 8 years old. I think I should rephrase it as my first cooking expedition! grin. My sista and I thot we could cook stew as sweet as our mums. so we stole some grinded tomatoe, onion and pepper combination from the fridge. Actually started frying it on fire with all the seasonings complete. I then suggested that to give it that sweet taste like mum's we should add five cubes of sugar! shocked You can imagine how the stew tasted after that!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Nobody: 2:16pm On Apr 22, 2008
This happened way back in secondary school,I invited a friend of mine over for an afternoon meal of rice with sauce.The rice came out fine but the sauce was actually green,till today I don't know what happened even the dog wouldn't touch it.
a funnier one happened with my cousin who added too much salt to the okro soup and thought she could add sugar to reduce the effect of the salt,man was it one salty sweet experience.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by skyee: 8:10pm On Apr 22, 2008
mine happen when i was 14 years old, my mum was not around and i was told to cook ewedu but i forget to put coun ( i dont know the english of it) men its un eatable
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by robby1(m): 8:19pm On Apr 22, 2008
I think mine was mistakenly adding sugar instead of salt. Talk of sweet okro soup

skyee:

but i forget to put coun ( i don't know the english of it) men its un eatable
i think the name is potash. wink
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by tRoOE(f): 8:26pm On Apr 22, 2008
This past weekend, I was boiling meat for the little party I was having, forgot totally I was cooking, next thing I know the alarm went off yelling fire fire ahaha, the pot was so burnt I had to trash it, the worth thing was that firefighter showed up and all these happened 12.30am. Was so annoyed becso I woke up most people living in my apt complex, and busy bodies were just asking if the house was on fire angry angry
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by SeanT21(f): 9:17pm On Apr 22, 2008
tRoOE:

This past weekend, I was boiling meat for the little party I was having, forgot totally I was cooking, next thing I know the alarm went off yelling fire fire ahaha, the pot was so burnt I had to trash it, the worth thing was that firefighter showed up and all these happened 12.30am. Was so annoyed becso I woke up most people living in my apt complex, and busy bodies were just asking if the house was on fire angry angry

i feel ya pain.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by dejiavu(m): 1:28pm On Apr 24, 2008
put too much "egusi in ewedu"
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by abbana(f): 7:56pm On Apr 24, 2008
My worst cooking mistake was when I added okro soup to jollof rice

thinking it was a meat stock when I brought it out of the freezer.

The result was a drawjollofrice! grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Lady2(f): 1:52am On Apr 25, 2008
lol, all the responses are pricless.

My own is too much to count.

But this was the most embarrassing.

I went to an ex-boyfriend's house to cook for him (without it he would starve or spend $100.00 per wook buying naija food at a restaurant).
I cooked ogbono soup with bitter leaf, but didn't let the bitter leaf (dried) sit in the hot water long enough. Well the food came out bitter. I kept adding salt to counter, even bigger mistake.

He was such a good sport, he pat me in the back and said "you tried". He ate it though.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by bluehorizo(m): 9:03pm On Apr 25, 2008
I wanted to impress her by preparing Ogbono and i was so unlucky as it all got burnt while i was a few meter away. sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by jamah(m): 11:26pm On Apr 28, 2008
i once tried to blend beans with a blender to prepare akara cos i was damn hungry for it. my neighbour came with her kids and praised me so well before i even started saying she would love to have a taste.Hmp! when i had finished frying it, it was soooooo ROUGH in the mouth i felt i was eating ground nut with it. The blender did a baaaad work. I shamefully told my neighbour she couldnt have a taste.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by UARESTUPID: 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2008
MY COOKING MISTAKES ARE AN EVERYDAY THING. D DAY I COOK A FOOD THAT IS EATABLE, MY MUM WILL BE SO RELIEVED THAT SHE WILL CALL MY UNCLES/AUNTIES 2 MAKE SURE THEY KNOW I CAN COOK grin.

ONE DAY, GUESS MY FAMILY IS JUST CRAZY, BUT THEY DECIDED I SHOULD COOK. MY COUSINS FIANCE CAME IN 4RM HIS COMPANY IN LAG TO MY FAMILY HOME AND THEY DECIDED I SHOULD COOK. OF COURSE MY MOM STARTED BRAGGING ABOUT HOW ALL HER KIDS ARE D BEST COOKS grin, AFTER D FOOD WAS READY, D SMELL ALONE ATTRACTED EVERYONE 2 D DINING TABLE, WHEN THEY TASTED D FOOD, MEN,  IT WAS AN APOLOGY cheesy. DAYS LATER MY COUSIN AND HER BOO BROKE UP, I STILL REMEMBER THAT PARTICULAR ONE BECOS MY COS LIKD D GUY ONLY 4R MY COOKING 2 DRIVE HIM AWAY. BUT THEN AGAIN HOW COULD THEY BE STUPID ENOUGH 2 ASK PEOPLE WHO VIRTUALLY ARE FED AND CLOTHED BY HOUSEHELPS TO COOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

hAVE U EVER SEEN ANYONE FRY AN EGG THAT TURNED OUT GREEN? grin. DONT ASK ME HOW I DID IT, I HAVE NO IDEA cheesy.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by UARESTUPID: 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2008
@ LADY, D GUY SEEMS TO BE A GOOD GUY, WHY DID You LEAVE HIM?.

@ POSTER, MINE RUNS IN D FAMILY, MY BROTHER ONCE ON HIS RARE OCCASIONS TRIED 2 IMPRESS HIS GIRLFRIEND BY COOKING 4 HER. ONLY PROBLEM IS HE ENDED UP ADDING KEROSINE 2 D RICE INSTEAD OF OIL shocked. EVERYONE WAS SO MAD BECOS HE PREVENTED US 4RM COOKING ONLY 2 COOK UP SOMETHING LIKE THAT angry. D GIRL WAS A GOOD SPOT SHE EVEN LAUGHED HER HEAD OFF, BUT I GUESS SHE MUST HAVE EATEN SOME FOOD IN HER NORMAL FAMILY'S HOUSE, UNLIKE US. ANY MAN WHO DECIDE'S 2 MARRY US HAD BETTER PREPARE HIMSELF 4 AN ARMLOAD OF SERVANTS. I EVEN HAVE ONE TO COOK AND D OTHER 2 DO EVERYTHING WHENEVER I WANT HER TO. DONT TELL ME I KNOW WE ARE CRAZY grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by scientist(m): 7:32pm On Apr 29, 2008
i was cooking yam porridge, i told my friend that was with me to help me cut some 'scent leaves (basil)' from a nearby shrub close to our house, but he also cut some  undecided undecided "BITTER LEAVES"  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed which i used in the cooking.  grin grin grin grin

i was so mad at him when i discovered it tasty very bitter when we were eating afterwards  angry angry angry

my only regret was letting him do it in the first place
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Lady2(f): 8:33pm On Apr 29, 2008
@ LADY, D GUY SEEMS TO BE A GOOD GUY, WHY DID You LEAVE HIM?.

Not everything is meant to work out. Besides he spent WAAAAYYY too much time in the mirror. A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN ME I got scared, any lady will be too.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by UARESTUPID: 12:26am On Apr 30, 2008
@ DEE02, You MUST BE YORUBA grin.

@ LADY, I UNDERSTAND. HE MUST BE WORST THAN MY FRIEND WHO LOOKS AT HIMSELF EVEN IN RESTAURANT MIRRORS grin. HE DOESNT WANT A GIRLFRIEND BECAUSE HE DOESNT WANT 2 SPEND D MONEY HE WOULD USE IN BUYING PERFUME, CLOTHES, ETC ON HER shocked.
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by k9ine(m): 9:08pm On May 01, 2008
MINE WAS A FUNNY EVENT

I POURED BOILING WATER DIRECTLY OVER CUSTARD POWDER, RATHER THAN MAKE IT INTO PASTE WT COLD WATER FIRST
INFACT THE HOUSE WAS A FUN AVENUE THAT AFTERNOON.

HOWEVER I ENJOYED THE MOCKERY!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by origina9ja(f): 10:59am On May 02, 2008
i make mistake all da tyme grin ma mum said neva mind
da more i pratice da more i'm betta init lol
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by dragnet: 11:43am On May 03, 2008
cheesy wow. . . . . you guys are just so hilarious!! fbby u sef! & to think the bulk of these were by females ehn! I've always wondered why fast food outlets still remain in d market. . I now know why grin

cant really remember any specifics but if they do happen, one thing I'm good at is fixing them grin 'cos if there's anything I'm good at, it's fixing stuffs cheesy . , .they dont always need to be thrown away like most of you have been doing. . . there are always ways to make them better, though the meal might be delayed a lil. . . . . nowadays I dnt really go to d kitchen except I,m invited by my sis to help fix some similar misputs/miscooks etc grin
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Gamine(f): 3:07pm On May 03, 2008
Yeah, Curry will turn your fried egg Green!!!!

i make a lot of mistakes sha, cant say what was the worst

but this one pained me ALOT.

Indomie and nutri-c

i tot i was pouring the spice into the indomie, i forgot it was nutri-c i had opened

and that was the only thing i had to eat that night, i went to bed with an empty stomach cry
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by mohawkchic(f): 8:00pm On May 03, 2008
~LMAO @ all of Y'll posts  cheesy  Am not ashamed to admit am a terrible cook when it comes to cooking local food from back home,anything that i can chuck in the oven to grill or put together,am very good at grin

~@ Nwando Yes cassava leaves is eaten by humans too grin

~I had this craving to eat cassava leaves,i have watched it been cooked so many times,i felt confident i can pull it off cooking it myself wink Soo i went the whole nine yards bought all the ingridients,blended oninons with pepper,boiled the chicken,meat,then it was time for the cassava leaves to boil,i think at this point i was feeliing a little bit over confident,so i poured the leaves to boil with what seemed like just the right amount of water, but i soon found out it was more like i'd pored a bucket of water after the pot must have boiled for an hour,and there were no signs of the water evapourating shocked this particular leaves jumps and bubbles over when its boiling too,its like a volcano about to explode  cheesy i kept thinking okay am sure it didnt take this long to cook over the many occassions i'd watched it been cooked  undecided the leaves were practically drowning in that pot,i just gave up and poured it down the sink! sad  i was so gutted,i was really craving for that soup,cleaning up the palmoil with leaves off the cocker,floor,walls that bubbled out whenevr i checked to see if the water works was dry didnt make me feel any better either, however over the years i kept hitting and missing till i got it right ONCE grin

Ooh BTW SeanT21 been Liberian i suppose you know "Toboorgi",hope i got it right undecided  i had a bunch of Liberian Plas, i tried it once,i absolutely looved it,do you know the recipe?! im not sure if its aubergine or Mattigualla  undecided

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Eggplant_%28Fruit%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mattigulla.jpg
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by dominique(f): 12:26pm On May 05, 2008
my most recent cooking mistake is burning beans to ashes. . . . twice in one day!!!
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by tundetolu: 11:53am On May 09, 2008
my worst cooking experience is when i cook and is salty. that happens often
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by Mugabe(m): 2:20pm On May 09, 2008
never mind it was an innovation that will triger of more research in the nearest future
Re: Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! by SeanT21(f): 9:14pm On May 09, 2008
mohawkchic:

~LMAO @ all of Y'll posts cheesy Am not ashamed to admit am a terrible cook when it comes to cooking local food from back home,anything that i can chuck in the oven to grill or put together,am very good at grin

~@ Nwando Yes cassava leaves is eaten by humans too grin

~I had this craving to eat cassava leaves,i have watched it been cooked so many times,i felt confident i can pull it off cooking it myself wink Soo i went the whole nine yards bought all the ingridients,blended oninons with pepper,boiled the chicken,meat,then it was time for the cassava leaves to boil,i think at this point i was feeliing a little bit over confident,so i poured the leaves to boil with what seemed like just the right amount of water, but i soon found out it was more like i'd pored a bucket of water after the pot must have boiled for an hour,and there were no signs of the water evapourating shocked this particular leaves jumps and bubbles over when its boiling too,its like a volcano about to explode cheesy i kept thinking okay am sure it didnt take this long to cook over the many occassions i'd watched it been cooked undecided the leaves were practically drowning in that pot,i just gave up and poured it down the sink! sad i was so gutted,i was really craving for that soup,cleaning up the palmoil with leaves off the cocker,floor,walls that bubbled out whenevr i checked to see if the water works was dry didnt make me feel any better either, however over the years i kept hitting and missing till i got it right ONCE grin

Ooh BTW SeanT21 been Liberian i suppose you know "Toboorgi",hope i got it right undecided i had a bunch of Liberian Plas, i tried it once,i absolutely looved it,do you know the recipe?! im not sure if its aubergine or Mattigualla undecided

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Eggplant_%28Fruit%29.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mattigulla.jpg

i know how to cook it. which Toporgee are u talking about?? beans, bitter ball or kitele toporgee. Make sure you by the toporgee oil and get some soda. I know how to cook it but i cant explain it to you. its very hard. Sorry for my inconvenience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? / 10 Importance Of Food Hygiene / Blogger, Tatafonaija Feeds 1000 Kids In Abuja To Mark Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.