Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro (8470 Views)

Jonathan Commissions The Flyover Bridge At Kundila Roundabout, Kano - Photos / Jonathan Commissions The Completed Map Of Onitsha 2nd Niger Brigde (pic) / Fashola Commissions The Ultra-modern Gbaja Shopping Mall. (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by taharqa: 11:13pm On Apr 22, 2013

The Niger Delta Power Holding Company Ltd (NDPHC) on Monday inaugurated a 600 Mega Volte Ambient (MVA) transformer in Oke Aro, a boundary town between Ogun and Lagos State.

Mr James Olotu, its managing director, said at the inauguration ceremony in Lagos that the project was currently the biggest transmission substation in the country.

Olotu, whose NDPHC is the owner of the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP), said that the 600 MVA transformer had capacity to distribute 480 mega watts of electricity.

He said that the transformer would serve some part of its host states.

According to him, about a thousand NIPP projects will hopefully be completed in December.

``This transformer will serve Maryland, Ikeja West and even Akoka and Ijora, amongst other localities.

``This project is the biggest transformer system and the first of its kind in Nigeria. ``

He said that power supply would improve in Lagos and Ogun States with the inauguration of this transformer

Olotu advised contractors handling the NIPP projects to live up to expectation so as to deliver on their mandate. (NAN)

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/news/220413/ndphc-delivers-600-mva-transformer-serve-lagos-ogun

3 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by taharqa: 11:14pm On Apr 22, 2013
I saw this Sub-station and its Anxilliary Facilities on NTA's Power Reform Programme Today at 10:00Pm, and IT IS VERY HUGE

There are very many Interesting Developments in the Power Sector in the last 2 days or So. The most interesting for me is that on the new Funding Arrangement for the CRITICAL TCN (the Weak Link of the Power Sector) now been managed by Manitoba International:

Efforts to strengthen and expand Nigeria’s weak electricity transmission network would be buoyed by the federal government this year with a total bailout package of N40.6 billion, the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, has said.

Nebo, who disclosed this at the weekend in Abuja, said government had initiated and obtained several bailout funds from sources that include international finance institutions to support maintenance and expansion efforts in the country’s transmission network by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) which had been adjudged bankrupt.

He stated that part of these bailout funds include a two-phased $150 million loan facility from the African Development Bank (AfDB) for maintenance and expansion of the transmission network, adding that other sources of funding were simultaneously being explored by the government.

Nebo who spoke about government’s long-term plan for the TCN, which was currently under a three-year management contract by Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International (MHI), admitted that the government was conscious of the deep weaknesses in the country’s transmission network, hence the various measures to remedy the situation.

“I think we need to look at it from not just that perspective because there is no doubt that cumulative decay and neglect brought together a system that is essentially very near to collapse but this has been strengthened and the government is working very hard to ensure that this is the case.

“For instance, the entire $100 million facility from the African Development Bank (AfDB) which is N15.6 billion is going into transmission without one kobo off and so I don’t think it is totally right to say that TCN is totally insolvent and neglected.

“The government realises that all these years of neglect have led to a situation where transmission which is actually supposed to be the pride of the entire sector have become the weakest link, and it is working in that direction and very soon with these interventions from government by acquiring this facility from the AfDB, we are putting all the money into transmission.
“That is not all, a lot more money is coming in and will be going into transmission too and within this year, we are not talking about something that is still far-fetched.

“Government is working hard and yes, you are right to say that it is the weakest and yet the strongest, it is supposed to be the strongest because no matter what you generate, if it is not evacuated or wheeled out to distribution companies, then of course there will be no electricity to the consumers, transmission ought to be the real giant of the entire value chain and government is still holding on it to ensure that the infrastructure is developed buoyantly enough and maybe in the future, one would also think about privatisation.”

Speaking further on the bailout plan for TCN this year, especially in the light of Manitoba’s evaluation of the finances of the company, Nebo said: “In addition to that facility, there is a huge budget which is larger than that, dedicated just to transmission alone and so a significant amount of money will be coming into the system not just to strengthen but expand the transmission network and we are working on that.

“I will say that another N25 billion will be put into transmission from the government budget this year and when you add it to the N15.6 billion and other funds that we are trying to gather to strengthen the transmission network because unless that is strengthened, we are going to have problems because if you are attracting companies to generate power and you are not wheeling this power out to distribution company, you will be losing a lot of money.”

He also gave details of the AfDB loan, saying: “It is a loan and it is $150 million, we have received $100 million and it is kept with the Accountant General of the Federation. It is all going into transmission and as we access and operate this, another $50 million will be released by the AfDB. So, we are talking of a very huge amount of money that will be invested in the transmission network alone within this year
.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-sets-aside-n40-6bn-bailout-fund-for-insolvent-tcn/145591/

It is EXTREMELY REMARKABLE that Virtually ALL of the Annual Budgetary money of the FG on Power would be going henceforth to the Transmission Infrastructure, since the Govt no longer fund Generation AND Distribution Infrastructure (which are been PRIVATIZED). That, the Alternative Fund from International Funding Agencies and those from the Routine MYTO Electricity billings, is VERY VERY Sweet Music to those who understand the workings of the Power Sector. This is EXACTLY what should be Done. I am THOROUGHLY THRILLED.

2 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 22, 2013
double post tongue
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 22, 2013
Am i suppose to be jubilating over this? this is no news abeg. yawns!

1 Like

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Rossikk(m): 11:32pm On Apr 22, 2013
Fabulous news. Step by step, we're getting there.

6 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by oshyno(m): 11:35pm On Apr 22, 2013
^^^^^
What r u supposed to jubilate about, Boko Haram bombing ?
Smh.

1 Like

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Nobody: 11:42pm On Apr 22, 2013
The time has not Come for me to jubilate. I will do that when i have 24hours electricity in my house.

1 Like

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by oshyno(m): 11:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
berem: The time has not Come for me to jubilate. I will do that when i have 24hours electricity in my house.

In that case u commend them right .

1 Like

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by ayox2003: 11:50pm On Apr 22, 2013
Good development.

Frawzey

1 Like

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Rossikk(m): 12:13am On Apr 23, 2013
oshyno: ^^^^^
What r u supposed to jubilate about, Boko Haram bombing ?
Smh.

You need a brain transplant.

2 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by taharqa: 2:37am On Apr 23, 2013
Still talking about the VERY INTERESTING Developments in the Power Sector in the last 2 days, an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT Development (very, very CRITICAL in deed), is the Granting of the very 1st Partial Risk Guarantee (PSG) from the World Bank to newly Privatised GENCOS in order to get a longer term and Legally-Guaranteed Gas Supply Agreements between the Oil/Gas Companies and the GENCOS.

The World Bank has provided its first Partial Risk Guarantee of $145m to support Nigeria’s gas sector to bring more electricity to consumers.

The PRG agreements in support of a Gas Supply and Aggregation Agreement were signed on Monday between the bank and the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Egbin Power Plc, Chevron Nigeria Limited and Deutsche Bank.

Under the 10-year GSAA, which is based on the industry template developed by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Chevron will provide gas to Egbin power plant for power generation.

This will be the first time that Egbin power plant will be able to procure gas under long-term arrangements.

The World Bank Country Director for Nigeria, Francoise Marie-Nelly, said, “With over 75 per cent of Nigeria’s power generation depending on natural gas, assuring the availability and reliability of gas supply is a critical step in realising the goal of uninterrupted electricity supply to Nigerian consumers.”

He said the World Bank’s PRG, provided under the IDA-financed Nigeria Electricity and Gas Improvement Project, was key to enabling long-term gas supply.

The World Bank official explained that PRGs were used to cover private lenders against the risk of a public entity failing to perform its payment or contractual obligations.

Marie-Nelly added that the NEGIP PRG was instrumental to achieving financial closure of the Egbin GSAA transaction by providing payment security for Chevron for the supply of gas to the plant.

He noted that the payment security instrument used was a 10-year Letter of Credit issued by Deutsche Bank.

According to him, the absence of long-term gas supply arrangements has been one of the main causes of power outages in the country, as gas has to be procured on a “best endeavour” basis

The gas, he stressed, was often of low quality and insufficient quantity, resulting in poor performance of power plants.

The World Bank stated that the long-term contracts enabled by the PRG would also help to encourage investments in upstream gas production by international and domestic oil and gas companies.

The Manager, Financial Solutions Unit, World Bank, Pankaj Gupta, said, “The use of the Partial Risk Guarantee to support Nigeria’s Gas Supply and Aggregation Agreement has provided the level of comfort needed by investors and paved the way for a new commercial framework for gas contracts.

“This will help to catalyse long-term private investments in Nigeria’s gas sector and underpin future investments in the power sector.”

He said that under the NEGIP, the World Bank had committed to a series of PRGs a total of $400m, of which the one for Egbin was the first to be signed.

Gupta said subsequent PRGs would support other gas supply agreements to PHCN plants and Niger Delta Power Holding Company of Nigeria’s plants

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/gas-wbank-provides-145m-risk-guarantee-for-egbin/

This is a very BIG DEAL in the Power Reform and Privatization Process, cos the Gas Supply Cmpanies would then be LEGALLY required to provide Gas to the GENCOS on a more permanent and predictable basis, that Predicatability enhanced by this Financial Guarantee provided by the World Bank and the FG. This is the FIRST of many to follow.

PS: The 1320MW Egbin Power Station, which is currently the Largest Power Plant in Ngeria, has recently been Privatised and acquired by the Korea Electricity Utility Company, KEPCO; And, a large Chunk of Power from this Egbin Plant would be wheeled by this new 600MVA Transmission sub-station that was commissioned yesterday.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by tunde1200(m): 2:49am On Apr 23, 2013
We have a long way to go...
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by nameo: 4:13am On Apr 23, 2013
hmmm??
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by otokx(m): 4:16am On Apr 23, 2013
There is total darkness at UNIPORT, light comes 1 day for 4 hours and the next 10 days its darkness. Once you see light expect the bills then next thing is darkness.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Walexz02(m): 4:51am On Apr 23, 2013
Nobody is disputing all these paper achievement you guyz are bomberding us with here, untill the common man starts feeling the impacts of this said projects, we'll count them as normal scam by FG and the power institution :/

12 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by taharqa: 7:51am On Apr 23, 2013
In anther Important development just Yesterday, the Certificates for the already PRIVATIZED GENCOS and DISCOS was given to them by the President:

President Goodluck Jonathan signed deals on Monday handing over state electricity assets to 15 bidding companies, a milestone in a privatisation process meant to end decades of power blackouts.

The handover in a ceremony at the presidential residence came a month after the bidders for 10 generation companies and five distribution companies paid deposits of 25 percent of the value of their bids.

The Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) is being broken up into 15 firms handling generation or distribution in different parts of the country; with the aim of doing something no Nigerian president has managed for decades: switching the lights on.

Despite being Africa’s top energy producer with the world’s seventh largest gas reserves, Nigeria produces and distributes only enough power for a few hours a day in the places that get it at all.

Economists say power outages cost Nigeria billions of dollars on imported diesel for generators and in lost output. They say current GDP growth of around 7 percent could be pushed into double figures if electricity supply could be sorted out.

Power output is currently about 4,000 megawatts for a country of 170 million people.

“Today’s event signals a major step forward in the implementation of our power sector road map,” President Jonathan said. “I congratulate the signing parties for reaching this significant target in our collective efforts to revitalize this sector, which is so important to our lives and development.”

Previous state sell-offs in Nigeria were blighted by political infighting and graft, which have caused years of delays. Regulators say this process was more transparent. Although it has appeared to favour established Nigerian oligarchs, some of them with scant experience of operating power companies, most have teamed up with capable technical partners like Siemens.

World Bank officials also signed a credit risk guarantee on a loan from Deutsche Bank’s U.S. subsidiary to finance gas supplies to the 1,320 megawatt Egbin Power Plant, which is based outside Nigeria’s commercial-hub Lagos, and of which Korea’s KEPCO was offered a 70 percent stake this month

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/04/22/fg-hands-over-electricity-assets-to-15-private-firms/

The Labour Issue is about the ONLY Real issue holding the conclusion of the Privatization process as of now. The Govt should plz resolve it ASAP. The Process needs to be concluded already.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 23, 2013
If by december i can boost of atleast an average of 18hrs uninterupted power supply then i wil expect 24hrs by 2015.Never the less this is a welcome development.
D TRANSFORMATION IS ON.....

1 Like

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by oshyno(m): 9:21am On Apr 23, 2013
Rossikk:

You need a brain transplant.

Dumb skull hilli billy like u.Get off ma d.I>k scumbarg.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by awodman: 9:58am On Apr 23, 2013
One thing you can't take away from Jonathan administration is the TRANSPARENCY of the privitization process.So far the process has progressed without hitches,even when governors of EDO,ONDO e.t.c tried to cry wolf they finally bowed to the voice of reason because they saw they had no case.
Compare this with privitizations done under OBJ most of which are still undergoing legal battles you will understand the expression of HOPE been expressed by most of us.Gradually we are getting there

4 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 23, 2013
One irredemable fool called the commissioning of 600MVA power Transmission Sub-station "paper achievement". This is a pointer to the mindset of ACN/CPC e-cockroaches.

@Op.,great news. The YEAR OF HARVEST is living up to expectation. So far, so good.

2 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by seunfly: 11:09am On Apr 23, 2013
That is good, i really wish Oga fisherman goodluck especialy on power sector. If he can do the magic of stable and affordable power supply only i will give him credit 4 that and his name will never be forgotten in Nigeria. Not untill u spend 10years in office b4 u can inpact peaple's life u can do it with in 2years.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by kutchs: 11:18am On Apr 23, 2013
berem: Am i suppose to be jubilating over this? this is no news abeg. yawns!
Anytime I see ur name I come to expect a silly comment and u‘ve have never disappointed me.
You must be living a sad and bitter life.

4 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by shagaman: 11:35am On Apr 23, 2013
I hope those leaving in that area can enjoy electricity...good move if it works
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Demdem(m): 11:37am On Apr 23, 2013
otokx: There is total darkness at UNIPORT, light comes 1 day for 4 hours and the next 10 days its darkness. Once you see light expect the bills then next thing is darkness.

U av been on this uniport issue for months now. I feel ur pain. Here in rumuodara, its the same tale.
Hopefully one day, all these paper acheivement will lead to real power.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 23, 2013
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 23, 2013
suniblu: .

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by Achieverbaba: 11:45am On Apr 23, 2013
I wonder how long it took to complete the project tho, cos we got one in my area (Lambe_Akute road) that has bin under construction for over 10yrs now.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by nig2change: 11:47am On Apr 23, 2013
I always tell people there is a way an intellect works, sure and steady. Smooth process devoid of rancour. No noise no loud speakers attach. By december 2014 everybody must appreciate GEJ. But he should be tougher with terrorists.

2 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by okemmadu(m): 11:51am On Apr 23, 2013
Thank God for what GEJ is doing in the power sector. here in Umuahia we can see the impact. We have power supply from 8 am to 6pm daily. then 12 am to 5 am. that's great improvement. 24 hour power supply is around the corner. u can only appreciate this if u know hw much it costs to fuel generator everyday. God bless GEJ and give him wisdom to also solve the security and corruption problems. the good we can see is better than the best they are promising us.

3 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by gerald09(m): 12:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
With so many corruption in the govt 2day from the president to the person sellin groundnut in from of govt buildings dis little improvement shuld get an applaud in may jt be a pebble in an ocean but it defiantly will create an effect.
Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by WHIZBRO(m): 12:15pm On Apr 23, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: One irredemable fool called the commissioning of 600MVA power Transmission Sub-station "paper achievement". This is a pointer to the mindset of ACN/CPC e-cockroaches.

@Op.,great news. The YEAR OF HARVEST is living up to expectation. So far, so good.

When the United States of America labels the Jonathan administration as 'very corrupt', the news should be viewed as suspect, but when someone labels your defiler-in-chief achievements as a paper one, he is in your word a cockroach, you odious son of a love peddler, The only thing that Jonathan has been harvesting is your a$s and remember to smile as he defiles your filthy as$

4 Likes

Re: NDPH Commissions The Biggest Transmission Sub-station At Oke-aro by gerald09(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2013
nig2change: I always tell people there is a way an intellect works, sure and steady. Smooth process devoid of rancour. No noise no loud speakers attach. By december 2014 everybody must appreciate GEJ. But he should be tougher with terrorists.
Tru talk bro, but terrorism in Nigeria needs a tough n intelligent people, GEJ is intelligent but not tough if he had done what most dumb Nigerians wanted him to do with terrorism Nigeria wuld be a country dat has committed the grrtest genocide the world hav ever sin since Hitler. A few days ago more than a hundred people were killed in BAGA cos of lack of forensic investigation n citizens support. The community harboured terrorist and refused to give them up nw more dan 80% of dem deaths were innocent souls. For GEJ to succeeded with terrorism he needs the help of the Northern citizens who can help provide forensic information no matter how small it is.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why my town Ikire,Irewole Local Gov. people 'll Vote Aregbesola For 2nd Term. / Which African Country Would Buy An Aircraft Carrier First? / General Yekini: The Man Behind Benue Crisis & Murder Of Terwase Agwaza Gana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.