Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,205 members, 7,822,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University (7841 Views)

Senate Approves UNILAG Renaming / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by emmatony: 5:35am On Apr 24, 2013
Senate Opens Debate To Rename UNILAG Moshood Abiola University

Barring any last minute hitches, the Senate will today commence the debate on the amendment of the University of Lagos Act, which provides for the establishment of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), to pave the way for the change of name of the institution to Moshood Abiola University, Lagos (MAULAG).

During the last Democracy Day celebration on May 29, President Goodluck Jonathan announced the decision of the federal government to rename UNILAG after the acclaimed winner of the June 12 1993 presidential election, the late MKO Abiola.
However, the decision turned to be controversial with the students, academic faculties and alumni of the institution rejecting the change of name.

It soon became the subject of litigation, as the alumni association of the institution filed a suit against the name change ahead of Jonathan’s submission of an amendment bill to the National Assembly.
Irrespective, the president still sent the bill to the legislature to jumpstart the process for the change of name.

If the bill secures the support of the majority senators, it will pass through the second reading today after which it will be committed to the Senate Committee on Education for further legislation.

Last week, when THISDAY got a hint of the forthcoming debate on the bill, and asked the Senate Committee Chairman on Education, Senator Uche Chukwumerije, about the amendment, he expressed ignorance about the bill, stating: “I will be surprised if anybody attempts to bring that bill to the chamber.”

Also, when THISDAY approached Senate Leader, Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, on the matter, he also said he knew nothing about the bill.
However, the notice of Senate commitments for today showed that the bill would be debated.

The Senate also Tuesday approved the establishment of nine federal universities by the federal government in 2010.

The approval followed the presentation of the reports of the Senate Committee on Education on the bills establishing the institutions.

The nine universities are Federal University of Lokoja; Federal University, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo; Federal University, Otuoke; Federal University, Oye-Ekiti; Federal University, Dutse; Federal University, Wukari; Federal University, Dutsin-ma; Federal University, Kashere; and Federal University, Lafia.

The Senate also approved the establishment of University of Uyo.
Senate President, Senator David Mark, while affirming the approval, advised the federal government to adequately fund the institutions so that they could live up to their responsibilities.

“Hopefully, these universities will now take off properly and we hope they will be properly funded so that students and graduates from there will be recognised,” Mark prayed.

In addition, Jonathan asked the Senate to confirm the appointment of Adesoji Olaoba-Efuntayo as the Executive Secretary of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Olaoba-Efuntayo, if confirmed, will represent the South-west in the commission.
The president also sought confirmation for four other members of the commission from the four geo-political zones of the country.

Other nominees to the commission are Uwasonba Udochukwu (South-east), Emmanuel Ibitolu (North-central), Michael Ebong (South-south) and Ismaila Mohammed Dukku (North-east).

In a letter addressed to the senate president, Jonathan cited Sections 2(3) of the EFCC Act 2004, which he said empowers him to appoint the nominees.

He also sought the Senate’s confirmation for members of the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC) in accordance with Section 154 sub-section 1 and 3 and paragraph 12 (e) of the 1999 Constitution.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/senate-opens-debate-to-rename-unilag-moshood-abiola-university/145796/
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Nobody: 6:47am On Apr 24, 2013
From what I can read these days, GEJ is working but the media is simply misinforming and misleading some of us with their agenda setting editorial policies.

1 Like

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Tolexander: 6:48am On Apr 24, 2013
Why debating again, they said they don't want the nomenclature!

Better they give the name to Federal university Oye Ekiti if it is a must to honour M.K.O Abiola with a school!

1 Like

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by oshyno(m): 6:56am On Apr 24, 2013
Tought dis is dead n buried. MUALAG again. Ohh I 4got daz where d NSCDC chief , my oga at d top, Shem graduated frm. Maybe they feel his misdemeanor has caused d institution some embarrassment n somtin need to be done. See wetin Shem has caused naw.
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:50am On Apr 24, 2013
Keneking: From what I can read these days, GEJ is working but the media is simply misinforming and misleading some of us with their agenda setting editorial policies.
are u okay?
Are the senates not tryin to clean jonathan's unwiped asss?
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by ninja4life(m): 9:12am On Apr 24, 2013
Keneking: From what I can read these days, GEJ is working but the media is simply misinforming and misleading some of us with their agenda setting editorial policies.
i'm i missing something pls point out where d report said anyting about gej achievement or does changing name of a university happens to be an achievement or wtf are u saying,let him provide equipment needed for learning in d school and not concern himself with useless renaming of unilag which does not affects d school profile.talk about misplaced priority
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 24, 2013
How can this be a priority while the PIB remains unpassed?
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Scarpon(m): 9:24am On Apr 24, 2013
this people again. we are ready for them bring it on
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by nifemi25(m): 9:27am On Apr 24, 2013
Thank god am on first page for the first time in history

1 Like

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by slimyem: 9:31am On Apr 24, 2013
Why is Jonathan this stubborn?
Why are they wasting time on something that'll NEVER materialise?...as in NEVER EVER materialise!!
#siddon look mode#

2 Likes

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by highlandre(m): 9:33am On Apr 24, 2013
I thought it was a forgotten issue...these senators should focus on more pressing issues than waste valuable time on this needless matter! Oshi

1 Like

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by fitzmayowa: 9:42am On Apr 24, 2013
hmmmmmmm following

1 Like

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Phonon: 9:42am On Apr 24, 2013
They won't leave UNILAG alone.Wetin we do una?
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Okworigeorge(m): 9:46am On Apr 24, 2013
any1 wit HTC DESIRE HD for sale shud pls snd me his numba....Okworigeorge@gmail.com
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by hunkydory(m): 9:47am On Apr 24, 2013
Why is the federal government hell bent on renaming UNILAG to MAULAG.Is this a personal agenda of one of the godfathers in Nigeria.Maybe an alumnus of UNILAG has insulted him and bragged about where he finished from and the godfather promised him that he will reduce that his shakara by changing the name of his alma mater to MAULAG.
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 24, 2013

Nawa 4 u o, hw is GEJ achievements related to dis news. Besides is he nt d incumbent president, he hs control over evrytin including d media. GEJ hs nothin to do again datz y he is fighting over common name wt d masses. Der r up to ten new universities wtout name, if he is sincere enuf, he cn name any of dem afta MKO.GEJ is as clueless as ever.
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by dridowu: 9:49am On Apr 24, 2013
MAULAG HAS COME TO STAY TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT
I JUST HOPE DY WON'T CHANGE MY SCHOOL
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN
THE FIRST AND THE BEST
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by moshoodn(m): 9:51am On Apr 24, 2013
UNILAG is under fire...
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 24, 2013
We no go gree ooo we no go gree, the FG should bring it on We're ready to march to Aso rock this time around, when there are other important things to do, the man no do am he sha wan spoil ma SWAG..........

PROUDLY AKOKITE
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by bolakale30(m): 10:06am On Apr 24, 2013
This F.G no dey hear word... If I hear say we gree, this time around na bombing tins, maybe part of our amnesty program will be restoring the name... Hehehehehe...m yeye people... If u are an akokite, like this post

11 Likes

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Dee60: 10:10am On Apr 24, 2013
This administration seems more ruthless than any previous one in the country! At this rate, they will silence any form of opposition, overtly or covertly and will use Uncle Okups to finish the job!
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by searay(m): 10:11am On Apr 24, 2013
Please what is MKO Abiola?
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by ayo22(m): 10:48am On Apr 24, 2013
what about d federal colleges of education? when will dey approve d bill for them to become universities?
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 24, 2013
This MAULAG issue brings again to d fore d fact dt Gej's govt is a very divisive one (a govt of divide & rule). The primary aim of Gej in renaming Unilag after d great MKO is simply to divide d south west,...MKO's family,friends & supporters on one side,and d general public who feels there is something nostalgic,Behind,and classy about d name Unilag on d other side.
If Gej truly agrees dt MKO is deserving of National honour then he shud name University of Abuja after MKO,...he cud as well rename the National Stadium Abuja "MKO ABIOLA NATIONAL STADIUM". Truth is,Gej is simply playing politics,....he doesn't mean to honour MKO and every objective Nigerian knows dt.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by NSNA: 11:07am On Apr 24, 2013
Stupid people wasting time when there are more pressing issues.
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by CocoLoca(f): 11:30am On Apr 24, 2013
They can change it to Chinua Achebe University and we will be happy. smiley

1 Like

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by lastpage: 11:38am On Apr 24, 2013
Frankie9ice: This MAULAG issue brings again to d fore d fact dt Gej's govt is a very divisive one (a govt of divide & rule). The primary aim of Gej in renaming Unilag after d great MKO is simply to divide d south west,...MKO's family,friends & supporters on one side,and d general public who feels there is something nostalgic,Behind,and classy about d name Unilag on d other side.
If Gej truly agrees dt MKO is deserving of National honour then he shud name University of Abuja after MKO,...he cud as well rename the National Stadium Abuja "MKO ABIOLA NATIONAL STADIUM".
Truth is,Gej is simply playing politics,....he doesn't mean to honour MKO and every objective Nigerian knows dt.

You know how it is that "illiterates" always say "What is special about being educated"? grin grin

That is the problem with GEJ!
He has a deep Inferiority Complex to Unilag Graduates!
With all the current problems in Nigeria, his "fixation" is on UNILAG! Wetin?

Can someone tell him that he can still write JAMB as there is no age limit?
Moreover, his "Thought process, I.Q. and Actions" has exposed him as not worthy of that PhD degree he appends to his name (Maybe he got it from MAULAG!
grin grin ).

Let him enrol at UNILAG (if he can pass JAMB o! shocked shocked ) and we will "school him properly" .....
.....To be a GREAT AKOKITE!

Nothing do you Jona, keep making a public mess of yourself.

Lastpage! (Proud Akokite Alumni of the 80's!) tongue tongue

3 Likes

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by Oshiite: 11:43am On Apr 24, 2013
Why is goodluck so desperate and hell bent on changing the name to maulag,i think theres more to this than they are telling us,he is acting as if his life depends on changing the name,i tire ooo
Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by olaolaking: 11:57am On Apr 24, 2013
This Gej dey really fall my hand o. why not name ASO ROCK VILLA AFTER MKO. MKO ABIOLA PRESIDENTIAL VILLA. simple !

like if you agree

1 Like

Re: Senate Opens Debate On Renaming UNILAG Moshood Abiola University by emeraldtopaz(f): 12:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
Tolexander: Why debating again, they said they don't want the nomenclature!

Better they give the name to Federal university Oye Ekiti if it is a must to honour M.K.O Abiola with a school!
lmao....dude i love ur pm,no one can b more apt & precise in describing nairaland

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Councillors Urge Jonathan To Sack Wike / EXPOSED: Toughest Question Buhari Asks That The Service Chiefs Could Not Answer / Wike’s Claims Of FG’s Plot To Plant Guns In Rivers A ‘blatant Falsehood’ – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.