Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,677 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? (1001 Views)

Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / EFCC Chairman: Yet Another Notherner, Are Southerners Incapable? FFK Asks Buhari / Southerners Are Moving En Masse Out Of NE And NW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 24, 2013
I have observed for quite some time that the stereotypical response of most Nigerians who are not resident in the north to the fate of civillian casualties resulting from any gun battle between the JTF and the terrorists in the north has been one of, "Serves them right, they know these people among themselves, yet they refuse to report them to the JTF because they are in full support of terrorism."

However, in the wake of the Baga carnage, and the display of the default reactions from the southern residents to the wanton decimation of their compatriots in the north, I am prompted to ask the southerners if they would have behaved differently had the situations been swapped and the terrorists were among them. Would you report a terrorist cell activity in your vicinity to the authority if you knew about it?

Post Script: Have you ever considered what the fears of those people might be?
1. We all know that "Police is your friend" is an irony in Nigeria- the same security operatives you report to might rat on you to the terrorists and expedite your death for pecuniary benefits.

2. It is a known fact that the presidency has perfected the act of drafting condolence messages, and "we are on top of the situation" simply means, "I don't give a damn!" There's no dedication to the oath to protect lives and property of the citizenry.

THE FACT THAT THEY KEEP MUTE MIGHT NOT BE AN ASSENT TO TERRORISM: IT MIGHT JUST BE AN ACT OF SELF-PRESERVATION!

Personally, I might relocate or do anything else, but definitely not report to security operatives (this is not the USA). I need your objective and sincere answers.
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Scarpon(m): 1:01am On Apr 25, 2013
if I see anyone I will tire them and called the police
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by lacasa: 1:20am On Apr 25, 2013
You've said it all Op

Kudos!
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Nobody: 2:56am On Apr 25, 2013
whatever happened to anonymous tips??
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by PapaBrowne(m): 3:14am On Apr 25, 2013
In the south they burn suspected armed robbers for stealing phones.( I don't support it)
I bet if Boko Haram is found in any southern neighbourhood, they would be roasted and handed over to vultures for suya.
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by musiwa24: 3:42am On Apr 25, 2013
if you are talking of boko haram.. the reason.. why the northerners are not reporting boko haram is because boko haram is fighting for their people.. but in a wrong way.. the politician have failed to fight for them..

Most of the politician from the north collect bribe from the govt.. So the people have lost confident in the politician that why they take the laws in the hands.

So you dont expect their people to report Boko haram..
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by musiwa24: 3:57am On Apr 25, 2013
grin
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by naptu2: 5:16am On Apr 25, 2013
I was going to write about this previously.

In major cities of Nigeria we have incidents of armed robbery and kidnappings, but nobody will say that it is ok for a person to be killed during an armed robbery or kidnapping simply because armed robbers and kidnappers live amongst us. There are certain things that must be noted.

1) Terrorists do not advertise: You might live next to a terrorist, armed robber, or kidnapper and not know that he or she is a criminal simply because they try to hide their activities. If you doubt me, check out the testimonies of neighbours of the terrorists that were arrested in Lagos. The Boston Bombers were registered at a university in Boston. They attended a party after setting off bombs. Nobody knew that they were terrorists. The same often applies to armed robbers and kidnappers.

2) The Nigerian Police has made it very unattractive to report crimes and. Criminals. In many cases, when you report a crime or criminal, you also become a suspect (unless you can "bail" your way out of trouble). You are arrested, tortured and harassed. Why would anyone want to report a criminal if they are going to be treated that way?

3) However, residents of Kano have often reported terrorists in their midst and have even lynched some of the terrorists. Boko Haram wrote an open letter to residents of Kano warning them to desist from giving information to the security services. How did Boko Haram know that citizens have given the security services information? (Remember that even the President stated that Boko Haram has infiltrated the security services). As a result of the help they've given the security services, Kano has come under repeated attacks by Boko Haram.

2 Likes

Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Nobody: 5:54am On Apr 25, 2013
Imanuelle: whatever happened to anonymous tips??

Nothing happened to anonymous tips! The question is, WOULD YOU, in the face of the present realities in Nigeria, drop an anonymous tip and have absolute certitude that it would be acted on? You are giving an IDEAL answer, but I only require a REAL one! Please, be realistic.
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Dracula27: 6:50am On Apr 25, 2013
Yes, Yees, ooohh yes!! walahi faa yes i would, Aaah ogaah ooo!! of course i will.
Now to serious discussion. I believe such activity in any part of the south would be reported. This is particularly so with the advent of GSM, E-mails and other means of anonymous one way communication. Most kidnappers and robbers caught is as a result of members of communities giving information to law enforcement.
A lot of this boils down to perception and acceptance. What a community perceives as bad, it would reject and report. If we consider militancy in the south, when the souterners perceived them as people fighting for their rights they were harbored by their people but when that perception changed the people started reporting them which i believe is the practice till today.
To the case of the north. With the aim of not saying too much all the actions of Boko Haram until recently ie burning churches and killing infidels have been established societal practice over the years in the north.It has been established in training and child upbringing so it is difficult to understand how a person would report a group that is dedicated to and efficient in doing what he believes in and has been trying to do.
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Tolexander: 7:46am On Apr 25, 2013
I wouldn't report any terrorist at all.
Make i report a terrorist, make dem con give am amnesty. No be that amnesty e go take buy gun to come kill me?
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by naptu2: 7:55am On Apr 25, 2013
Tolexander: I wouldn't report any terrorist at all.
Make i report a terrorist, make dem con give am amnesty. No be that amnesty e go take buy gun to come kill me?

That's another thing that some people have not yet realised. Why did policemen kill Boko Haram members in 2009?

Boko Haram was founded in 2002. The SSS started monitoring them in 2003. In 2004 they attacked police stations. Many Boko Haram members were subsequently arrested and charged to court. The courts granted them bail. In 2009 policemen saw Boko Haram members that they had previously arrested (people who had killed and injured policemen) attacking them again. Why would they arrest them and charge them to court again? So they executed them.

Now think about it. You live in a community where terrorist are arrested. A few months later those same terrorists are back on the street (they've gotten bail). Would you provide the security services any information, knowing that a terrorist who is arrested today might be free tomorrow?
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 25, 2013
Dracula27%:
This is particularly so with the advent of GSM, E-mails and other means of anonymous one way communication.

Give me a functional Police hotline or email that the general public has certified operational, or do I have to have a personal buddy in the force to be able to report crimes?
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 25, 2013
naptu2:

That's another thing that some people have not yet realised. Why did policemen kill Boko Haram members in 2009?

Boko Haram was founded in 2002. The SSS started monitoring them in 2003. In 2004 they attacked police stations. Many Boko Haram members were subsequently arrested and charged to court. The courts granted them bail. In 2009 policemen saw Boko Haram members that they had previously arrested (people who had killed and injured policemen) attacking them again. Why would they arrest them and charge them to court again? So they executed them.

Now think about it. You live in a community where terrorist are arrested. A few months later those same terrorists are back on the street (they've gotten bail). Would you provide the security services any information, knowing that a terrorist who is arrested today might be free tomorrow?

I think you get the picture!
Re: Southerners: Would You Report Terrorist Activities In Your Vicinities? by vizboy(m): 8:58am On Apr 25, 2013
The answer is yes.

When it comes to matter of security we in the south dont play with it. Why help terrorist if u are not among them. Those of them caught in lagos was it not somebody that tip off the police.

(1) (Reply)

Fashola's War On The Poor / Ahmadu Bello Uni Prof Bags 2 Months Prison Sentence For Enticing Married Woman / Why Obama Won’t Visit Nigeria – US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.