Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,581 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Is Nigeria Any Less Of A Corrupt Place Now Than It Was? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Any Less Of A Corrupt Place Now Than It Was? (750 Views)

Is A Good Dictatorship Better Than A Corrupt Democracy? / Buhari A Corrupt Liar: His Daughters School Fee At Surrey University Is £16,000 / I’m Not A Corrupt Politician - Anenih (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Any Less Of A Corrupt Place Now Than It Was? by Mamajama(m): 9:40pm On Apr 11, 2008
I found this article on BBC today, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

Since the inception of the current administration, 8 past governors have been indicted with no conviction

please what are your perception of this administration in comparison to his predecessors?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7341095.stm

It has been five years since the Nigerian government set up a new anti-corruption unit aimed at ending the country's reputation as one of the most corrupt on earth.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been both hailed for bringing in some high-profile arrests, and also derided as a tool for attacking the government's political enemies.
Re: Is Nigeria Any Less Of A Corrupt Place Now Than It Was? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 11, 2008
Mamajama:

please what are your perception of this administration in comparison to his predecessors?

I wonder for una. you guys are the one shouting for change but still the same people shutting yourself down. where are you rushing to? can't you be patient? is it yet time to take stocks and compare with the worst past?
Re: Is Nigeria Any Less Of A Corrupt Place Now Than It Was? by Mamajama(m): 10:05pm On Apr 11, 2008
babaearly in business we were told, for a leader to be effective it has to happen between 6 month to twelve months,

People are struggling and poverty is killing our people. this is not a marathon race.
Re: Is Nigeria Any Less Of A Corrupt Place Now Than It Was? by oldie(m): 1:03pm On Apr 12, 2008
I disagree with the professor who said "there is no other way of making money in Nigeria other than stealing money from oil revenues".
There are so many ways to make money genuinely in Nigeria without stealing!

But I agree with him when he said " unless the elite is placed under a tax system where they must justify their earnings, they will continue to steal."
I think this is where the FIRS should do its work. The tax system should be strengthened and made more efficient.
We should all account for our incomes, formal or informal.

Answering the post, the system is still inherently corrupt, and there are so many agencies involved that can make the system less corrupt: The Police, Customs, NDLEA, NSO, NAFDAC, EFCC, ICPC etc.
All these agencies need to be re-organised and revamped.
And above all, our value system has to change!

I do not think Nigeria is less corrupt now, I think people are just being more cautious and finding better ways of hiding their loots

It is not war for EFCC alone.

(1) (Reply)

The Iluminati / 419 Victim Gets 8 Yrs For Murder Of Nigerian Consul / Pdp To Rule Nigeria For 60 Years-pdp National Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.