Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,757 members, 7,820,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) (17377 Views)

A Nairalander With KIPTON & SHARIBUTA Lagos Marathon Race WINNERS / #lagosmarathon: Abraham Kator Of Kenya Wins Lagos Marathon 2016 (photos) / First Pictures From Access Lagos Marathon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 26, 2013
greall1: But the Chinese man no suppose to allow to participate in dis kind of race because he is handicap man
cheesy haaaaaaaa grin
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by pure123: 10:53am On Apr 26, 2013
I WILL GIVE HER THE MONEY SHE LOST BY COMING SECOND..........I WONDER IF MY WARRI PPLE FIT DO THIS ..........WE NO DEY CARRY 2ND
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by abifoluwa: 10:54am On Apr 26, 2013
Billyonaire: Life is about winning, that is it. If you find yourself on the marathon race, the focus is to run and win the race, NOT Charity. Watch the Billionaires of this life, they only start charity after winning a race. It is time more people get educated on priority, the priority was to win the race, that Chinese would not be dead without water, he would have survived. But she stupidly lost the Goal and Gold cos she fell for that weakness of another man. This, to me is a losing distraction. Focus is what makes any man great.
you are a mad man, is she complaining that she lost? She did it cause she wanted to, why are you complaining? Which kind billionaire u be sef wey dey ontop nairaland for early moin moin? if focus makes a man great, u shouldnt be on nairaland, you should be at berger selling gala. Just a little compassion will take you to great places. I wont be surprised if she starts getting adverts deals cause of what she just did. Witcho dumass

2 Likes

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by jplux: 10:57am On Apr 26, 2013
so loving and touching smileyso loving and touching
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by diarra94(m): 11:34am On Apr 26, 2013
First of all, i applaud the kenyan lady's sympathy but seriously its uncalled for. If the chinese guy was really thirsty he would have stopped. Even if he doesnt complete the marathon, The fact that a physically challenged athlete like himself was willing to take part in the marathon is already enough. Nw even after her generosity, no one honoured or even commended her. I knw its nt always abt money, bt there is no need for sympathy in this situation.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by PapaBrowne(m): 11:38am On Apr 26, 2013
Billyonaire: I call it stupidity! Your eye should always be on the Goal and Gold irrespective of any Chinese Distraction. We have medics on the field, and their job includes hydrating the dehydrated. I do not see this as anything worth commendation but something worth condemnation. Eyes must always be on Goal and Gold, no distractions whatsoever should take anyone from focus! Africa needs reorientation on the mechanisms of winning! You win first, before doing Charity!
Nice one Billy. However that is core capitalist thinking! The world is leaving Core Capitalism and moving towards Conscious Capitalism. Check it up. Positive Impact is more important than Quantum acquisition.
Billy Gates is on a new thing. Instead of winning Oracle, Google and Apple he has opted to win Polio, Malaria and AIDS.
Billy Buffet is giving off half his wealth to causes and encouraging other Billies to do so.
Billies are trending these things these days: Conscious Capitalism, Impact Investments, Social Entrepreneurship!
Ask Billy Elumelu! He'll tell you.

Eyes on Goal and Gold no more. Eyes on Impact and Well Being now the ish. The gesture from the Kenyan Marathoner is worthy of commendation. She made impact and improved the Chinese guys well being.

2 Likes

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Egbagirl(f): 11:40am On Apr 26, 2013
The beauty in giving is in not expecting anything in return. I doubt she did this to be recognized or famous. She prolly just saw a guy with no hands and was like dude prolly would need some water and she offered him some (our typical and should be cherished african hospitality. Since I don't totally believe in altruism, I think this is one of the closest "altruistic" acts I have seen.

1 Like

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Egbagirl(f): 11:43am On Apr 26, 2013
Billyonaire: I call it stupidity! Your eye should always be on the Goal and Gold irrespective of any Chinese Distraction. We have medics on the field, and their job includes hydrating the dehydrated. I do not see this as anything worth commendation but something worth condemnation. Eyes must always be on Goal and Gold, no distractions whatsoever should take anyone from focus! Africa needs reorientation on the mechanisms of winning! You win first, before doing Charity!

There is more to life than winning. The impact you make on other people's lives matters and it goes a long way. Such acts only reciprocate and this guy is going to become more selfless and he continues his life just because of one random act of kindness. The "all I want to do is win" is an individualistic mentality that does not necessarily do good for the society. If we all had that "Me, Myself, and I" mentality, we would eventually self-destruct.

3 Likes

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Engineer1985(m): 11:58am On Apr 26, 2013
Money aint everything! Personally, if I do good to someone, I feel more satisfied than having money in my bnk accnt.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by johnie: 12:00pm On Apr 26, 2013
How could the Chinese guy be running at the same pace as the runner who eventually came second?

Did his own race start earlier?
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 26, 2013
PapaBrowne:
Nice one Billy. However that is core capitalist thinking! The world is leaving Core Capitalism and moving towards Conscious Capitalism. Check it up. Positive Impact is more important than Quantum acquisition.
Billy Gates is on a new thing. Instead of winning Oracle, Google and Apple he has opted to win Polio, Malaria and AIDS.
Billy Buffet is giving off half his wealth to causes and encouraging other Billies to do so.
Billies are trending these things these days: Conscious Capitalism, Impact Investments, Social Entrepreneurship!

Eyes on Goal and Gold no more. Eyes on Impact and Well Being now the ish. The gesture from the Kenyan Marathoner is worthy of commendation. She made impact and improved the Chinese guys well being.
You get it wrong! Bill Gates is on to Charity after winning! Bill Gates will NOT be on Charity if he has not been successful. Charity is NOT Trending Now! Charity is what happens after 'having Excess'. I repeat that the Kenyan Marathoner lost focus! She was on that race to run and win, and not to show compassion. Charity comes after Success, not before!

1 Like

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 26, 2013
Egba girl:

There is more to life than winning. The impact you make on other people's lives matters and it goes a long way. Such acts only reciprocate and this guy is going to become more selfless and he continues his life just because of one random act of kindness. The "all I want to do is win" is an individualistic mentality that does not necessarily do good for the society. If we all had that "Me, Myself, and I" mentality, we would eventually self-destruct.
The duty of that Marathoner was not to give water to the thirsty competitor! There are other people vested with the responsibility of sharing water. She faltered on her focus and sacrifice her Goal and Gold for compassion. She lost focus and reacted to emotion, it is the core reason Africa is backward today, cos we apply emotions than foresight. I stand by my assertion, that the Kenyan marathoner lost focus, and lost her goal.

1 Like

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by pekelepekele(m): 2:46pm On Apr 26, 2013
Wow applause to her but she fell for the scam. To me the white guy was actually planted there to delay her and she took the bait . I am very sure the person who took the first position is a white gal. In general she's stewpid . Win the race first and go back to him to give him like a $100
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by supaeagles(m): 3:23pm On Apr 26, 2013
I always smile now when I see Billy's witty posts.... he manages to get many riled up because he goes against the grain. It is entertaining smiley
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by beey2(m): 3:42pm On Apr 26, 2013
Billyonaire: You get it wrong! Bill Gates is on to Charity after winning! Bill Gates will NOT be on Charity if he has not been successful. Charity is NOT Trending Now! Charity is what happens after 'having Excess'. I repeat that the Kenyan Marathoner lost focus! She was on that race to run and win, and not to show compassion. Charity comes after Success, not before!

I Disagree wt u on this, we win when we save a life n d price 4 dt can never be quantified. Let's stop "Mans inhuman to Human". Oyinbo ppl abeg correct me 4 my gbagaun o.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by BlesinE(f): 3:48pm On Apr 26, 2013
BoboYekini: angry yea, and she probably delayed the chinese too. Did he beg her for water? so why the busy body? Eye service. Probably spilled the water all over. She for kuku stop him, sit down, and have a picnic while at it.

lwkmd!! She jus did wat came naturally 2 ha mind at dat time.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Egbagirl(f): 4:33pm On Apr 26, 2013
BoboYekini: angry yea, and she probably delayed the chinese too. Did he beg her for water? so why the busy body? Eye service. Probably spilled the water all over. She for kuku stop him, sit down, and have a picnic while at it.

The dude could have ignored her if he didn't want the water.

Sometimes it's the little things that count.
Some of you might not agree but such acts are selfless and just the thought alone is commendable but she didn't just think it, she acted it out.

Billyonaire: The duty of that Marathoner was not to give water to the thirsty competitor! There are other people vested with the responsibility of sharing water. She faltered on her focus and sacrifice her Goal and Gold for compassion. She lost focus and reacted to emotion, it is the core reason Africa is backward today, cos we apply emotions than foresight. I stand by my assertion, that the Kenyan marathoner lost focus, and lost her goal.

I get where you are coming from and yes I agree that it I important to focus in your goal and not be distracted. She was there to run a race and win but that's how life is. You are bound to see things that might make you pause for a sec on your journey and it is up to you to decide whether or not you need to stop for a min. She was thinking of not just herself but also of her fellow runners. For her, it was worth it and I'm sure she knew exactly what she was getting into by offering him water.

1 Like

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by dolphinife: 4:41pm On Apr 26, 2013
i think the person that wrote this trash should be incarcerated. from the above pix, it is very clear and evident that the chinese is a guy while the Kenyan is a lady.
in other words, the men will run differently with different timing while the ladies will run differently with their alloted time......there has never been a time when ladies and men were told to run together with the same timing....dat will be suicidal
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by RuuDie(m): 5:23pm On Apr 26, 2013
dolphinife: i think the person that wrote this trash should be incarcerated. from the above pix, it is very clear and evident that the chinese is a guy while the Kenyan is a lady.
in other words, the men will run differently with different timing while the ladies will run differently with their alloted time......there has never been a time when ladies and men were told to run together with the same timing....dat will be suicidal

Wrong man.

Men, women competitors all run together. They start together, run the same course but its two different contests. Eventually there will be two winners. One male, one female.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by emiye(m): 5:30pm On Apr 26, 2013
Billyonaire: The duty of that Marathoner was not to give water to the thirsty competitor! There are other people vested with the responsibility of sharing water. She faltered on her focus and sacrifice her Goal and Gold for compassion. She lost focus and reacted to emotion, it is the core reason Africa is backward today, cos we apply emotions than foresight. I stand by my assertion, that the Kenyan marathoner lost focus, and lost her goal.

Unfortunately, i agree with this fake billyonaire.

If it is true that she came second because she helped the man, then she goofed. The situation of the physically challenged guy was not life threatening, and the guy could have gotten help from the bystanders along the runway.

I call what she did playing to the gallery, the motive is wrong, but the cause is worthy.

Although many philanthropists also play to the gallery.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by GooseBaba: 9:41pm On Apr 26, 2013
We train to win.. We do not train to lose by sentiments and unnessary emotions. Her actions are not commendable in my book. If the guy could not make the finish line all he had to do was park well..

Besides you can not give what you don't have.. Bill gates monopolize the industry, did he care if his competitors were going out of busines and laying off their employees? No! Now he is a winner, he can now afford to invest in charity..

Lets not cloud out judgement with sentiments, when there are rules to the game.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by GooseBaba: 10:03pm On Apr 26, 2013
PapaBrowne:

No such thing as "conscious Capitalism" ... Global competition is hot right now.. Investors have to apply new concept of business practices that counters the existing ones in order to grab resources.. That has nothing to do with conscience. There are no sentiments in resource control...Capitalism is Capitalism.! Bottom line is the goal..
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by jhidey08(m): 12:18am On Apr 27, 2013
nifemi25: That's good for her, no nigerian guy ώĩℓℓ do this especially when monez is involved.

and u're hapi abt dat. Primitive swine!
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by jhidey08(m): 12:18am On Apr 27, 2013
nifemi25: That's good for her, no nigerian guy ώĩℓℓ do this especially when monez is involved.

and u're hapi abt dat? Primitive swine!
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by jhidey08(m): 12:22am On Apr 27, 2013
is dat wot u were taught by ur parents? To b self centered? I'm sori 4 u broda
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by jhidey08(m): 12:25am On Apr 27, 2013
tspun: dis is madness not kindness. U r almost there to please millions of pple from ur country instead u waste d chance to pls just one person. Wen africa go learn how to treat does foreigners d way they treat us.
av u 4gotten dat two wrongs canneva make a right? U're jst too impulsive in ur thinking. I.diot!
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by iluffmyself: 7:47am On Apr 27, 2013
This is proof of the marathon results-
http://www.zkmarathon.com/en/news.asp?ClassID=332

The runner is Jacquline Nyetipei, 2nd in the female category. and some other kenyan runner won- so whats the big deal about the whole "win first" thing?
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 27, 2013
churific: "Instead of coming first, she came second?" Please provide the source for that.

I'm pretty sure you added that part for the dramatic effect. Good person or not, if the finish line was that close and first place in sight, she could've finished the race then offered the water.
A real and true sportsman knows that winning is not always the aim of every race! (Esp. marathons)
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 29, 2013
Egba girl:

The dude could have ignored her if he didn't want the water.

Sometimes it's the little things that count.
Some of you might not agree but such acts are selfless and just the thought alone is commendable but she didn't just think it, she acted it out.

Dude couldn't ignore her cos she was all up in his face dammit! As a matter of fact, she embarrassed him, making his challenge into a disability. Has the dude not been getting water for himself all this while? Why did she have to embarrass him like this in public?
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by ross11: 4:21am On Oct 21, 2016
Billyonaire:
Life is about winning, that is it. If you find yourself on the marathon race, the focus is to run and win the race, NOT Charity. Watch the Billionaires of this life, they only start charity after winning a race. It is time more people get educated on priority, the priority was to win the race, that Chinese would not be dead without water, he would have survived. But she stupidly lost the Goal and Gold cos she fell for that weakness of another man. This, to me is a losing distraction. Focus is what makes any man great.

Hey there,
just created an account to comment on this. You think in a very "capitalism" manner. True, focus makes any man great, but I would rather be the man that helped someone and lost a race than ignored someone and won the race. Not trying to start an argument here, everyone's opinion is respectable and I respect your opinion.
Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by Nobody: 4:45am On Oct 21, 2016
ross11:

Hey there,
just created an account to comment on this. You think in a very "capitalism" manner. True, focus makes any man great, but I would rather be the man that helped someone and lost a race than ignored someone and won the race. Not trying to start an argument here, everyone's opinion is respectable and I respect your opinion.
You are a good man, yet you have to understand that in helping one man and losing a race you have failed in a way. Listen, if you have the capacity to help a million men and not fail, will you rather choose to help one man and fail ?

A tree that grows up spreading branches doesnt grow very tall quickly, but any tree that grows strong before spreading branches will remain the great iroko tree that birds will make an habitat of, it will also bear fruits that will not only feed humans and other animals but the seeds will also lead in the propagation of other trees, and even in death will be used as timbre. The purpose of this proverb is; To help many a people, you must first stand firm, win a race then you have capacity to help a million. If you grow up helping people with meager resources you painfully earn, you will not survive long enough to help a million.

My thoughts, not an argument.

By the way, I have noticed that people go back in time, to check out my writings and react to them. Whether I remain consistent on those thoughts and principles are an indication of principles I live by. It could change based on the dynamics of time.

1 Like

Re: The Spirit Of Marathon Running (Pic) by MartinBic: 5:27pm On Apr 15, 2019
She really tried, to be very sincere. Cos when i tried imagining what i would do if i was the lady.
Something came to my mind, and that is finishing the race as the winner and going back to the chinese to give her part of the $10,000 forfeited.

It takes a great emotional and material sacrifice to be nice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala Is "Sad And Pained" That She Won't Be In The Team Against France / Chris Giwa Defeats Mike Umeh To Emerge As New NFF President / Derby County Appoints Wayne Rooney As Permanent Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.