Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Why Did You Stop Believing? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did You Stop Believing? (3183 Views)

When Will People Stop Believing This End Time Shii / What Could Make You Stop Believing In God...? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did You Stop Believing? by yorubaamerican(m): 12:16pm On Apr 26, 2013
Freethinkers, non-believers, and atheists please let me know what drove you towards your current position. ...And, tell me about your evolution since then.
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by VirginFinder: 12:42pm On Apr 26, 2013
You are an old nairalander with a new username.

You used to be a strong Christian but you backslid.

Seems you are about returning to Christ. Please do so quickly.

May God help you!

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by yorubaamerican(m): 12:43pm On Apr 26, 2013
Virgin Finder: You are an old nairalander with a new username.

You used to be a strong Christian but you backslid.

Seems you are about returning to Christ. Please do so quickly.

May God help you!

You're sadly mistaken, my friend. Please stay in your lane and I will stay in mine!

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:25pm On Apr 26, 2013
I become atheist when I realized I was played like cattle. Reading into Yoruba history, invasion and corruption by the white folks, I pushed to my origin and not another man's origin.

You remember the saying in yoruba that says "Ori eni ni aba bọ a ba fi orisha silẹ; Nigba ti iku n pani, ki ni orisa n wo. Ori ẹni ni duro ti ni.

My head is my brain. Without my brain, im nothing. My existence is ignited by my brain. So I praise my Lord-BRAIN

If I got problem, I need sit down and think, reason and sort out things with my brain. And a success of a mission is bestowed to my brain.

No God but me

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by manmustwac(m): 4:53pm On Apr 26, 2013
FOLYKAZE: I become atheist when I realized I was played like cattle. Reading into Yoruba history, invasion and corruption by the white folks, I pushed to my origin and not another man's origin.

You remember the saying in yoruba that says "Ori eni ni aba bọ a ba fi orisha silẹ; Nigba ti iku n pani, ki ni orisa n wo. Ori ẹni ni duro ti ni.

My head is my brain. Without my brain, im nothing. My existence is ignited by my brain. So I praise my Lord-BRAIN

If I got problem, I need sit down and think, reason and sort out things with my brain. And a success of a mission is bestowed to my brain.

No God but me
Just curious to know whether you becoming an atheist had anything to do with the atheist posters on nairaland?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 26, 2013
Testimoony time...Blessing time!!! grin

Brother Foly has given an inspirational testimony...can someone give a big shout out to the spaghetti monster...

FOLYKAZE: I become atheist when I realized I was played like cattle. Reading into Yoruba history, invasion and corruption by the white folks, I pushed to my origin and not another man's origin.

Now that Brother Folly has told us how he became a "believer", I thought he was going to stick to African traditional religion since he talked about being original...

#Anyways, that's pagan nja's loss.
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 26, 2013
manmustwac: Just curious to know whether you becoming an atheist had anything to do with the atheist posters on nairaland?

Hmmm...trying to see how fruitful the evangelism is?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by nnofaith: 7:03pm On Apr 26, 2013
I am from Ilorin, grew up a moslem, i stoped beleiving a few weeks ago when i stumbled on a piece here on nairaland about what the phrophet did to the jews of banu quraiza, i asked myself this simple question " what kind of a god would ask his phrophet to behead 700 jews". This prompted me to do a lot of research about my religion.

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by yorubaamerican(m): 7:14pm On Apr 26, 2013

No God but me

Very nice! So just how did yoruba people leave behind olodumare and the rest of their gods?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by yorubaamerican(m): 7:18pm On Apr 26, 2013
manmustwac: Just curious to know whether you becoming an atheist had anything to do with the atheist posters on nairaland?

Anyone who became an atheist due to nairaland is simply a fanatic. ...In fact, most people who identify as atheist have no clue about how they got to where they are (fanatics), making them almost exactly like the fundamentalists they claim to abhor.
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by nnofaith: 7:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
yorubaamerican:

Anyone who became an atheist due to nairaland is simply a fanatic. ...In fact, most people who identify as atheist have no clue about how they got to where they are (fanatics), making them almost exactly like the fundamentalists they claim to abhor.
you are so wrong bro!
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by yorubaamerican(m): 7:25pm On Apr 26, 2013
nnofaith: you are so wrong bro!

I'm wrong in YOUR opinion...please keep in mind that I wrote MOST, not all!!
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by nnofaith: 7:45pm On Apr 26, 2013
it doesnt matter where TRUTH is found
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by manmustwac(m): 8:31pm On Apr 26, 2013
yorubaamerican:

So what was the purpose of you opening this topic since you have already come to your conclusion that all atheists are fundamentalists who have no clue about how they got to where they are?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by RedLight1: 8:43pm On Apr 26, 2013
i had my doubts about religions... Nairaland sealed it.... All hail the atheists in house for opening my eyes fully... Not sure if am an atheist though coz i cnt proof that god doesnt exist... Its just like a ghost story... One thing i know for sure is religions are nothing buh loads of crap... Now have decided to embrace science more than myths and fairtytales that bibles or religion fed us.... Science aint perfect either buh atleast it has been able to explain how the universe works more accurately in just over 400yrs than religion has done in over 10 thousand years... Thats my testimony... Halleluyah somebody grin

not to forget that i'v never felt so free in my life... All the irrelevant fears of the unknown that i use have are all gone

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by yorubaamerican(m): 9:52pm On Apr 26, 2013
manmustwac: So what was the purpose of you opening this topic since you have already come to your conclusion that all atheists are fundamentalists who have no clue about how they got to where they are?
Whoa! Did I write ALL?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2013
nnofaith: I am from Ilorin, grew up a moslem, i stoped beleiving a few weeks ago when i stumbled on a piece here on nairaland about what the phrophet did to the jews of banu quraiza, i asked myself this simple question " what kind of a god would ask his phrophet to behead 700 jews". This prompted me to do a lot of research about my religion.

...Mr new id and this your "lot of research" was done in the space of just one week?

Okay o!
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 26, 2013
Red-Light:
i had my doubts about religions... Nairaland sealed it.... All hail the atheists in house for opening my eyes fully... Not sure if am an atheist though coz i cnt proof that god doesnt exist... Its just like a ghost story... One thing i know for sure is religions are nothing buh loads of crap... Now have decided to embrace science more than myths and fairtytales that bibles or religion fed us.... Science aint perfect either buh atleast it has been able to explain how the universe works more accurately in just over 400yrs than religion has done in over 10 thousand years... Thats my testimony... Halleluyah somebody grin

not to forget that i'v never felt so free in my life... All the irrelevant fears of the unknown that i use have are all gone

Good for you but something to note...your decision does not change the fact that the unknown still lurks the corner...it's not about fearing it...whether or not your come to terms with this unknown, it is still a reality in our lives.

I can see that you are concerned with just the "How" of things and feel better not worrying about the "Why", "when", "whom" etc that are yet to be answered in the world and the universe at large...note that even the "How" is not yet completely known.
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by nnofaith: 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
@strklmi or whatever
where did you see one week?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2013
striktlymi:

...Mr new id and this your "lot of research" was done in the space of just one week?
He wrote "a few weeks"...sigh!
Okay o!
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 26, 2013
Truth cannot be taught but only be realised. Deep in us all lies the truth......when you begin to use brains and think deep,you will naturally stop worshiping any god.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 26, 2013
striktlymi:

Good for you but something to note...your decision does not change the fact that the unknown still lurks the corner...it's not about fearing it...whether or not your come to terms with this unknown, it is still a reality in our lives.

I can see that you are concerned with just the "How" of things and feel better not worrying about the "Why", "when", "whom" etc that are yet to be answered in the world and the universe at large...note that even the "How" is not yet completely known.

Fear of hell is actually the reason millions are into religion .And fear is the opposite of love,fear does not accommodate freedom of thought,expression..... Look at the muslims,they are being enslaved into praying every few hours of the day,christian god made it mandatory to worship him every sunday etc.. And yet these deities cannot be seen.

Take for example , i read every bit of a document before signing them,i need to view the land before making any form of payment. Definitely they are man made religions meant to manipulate humans to submission.
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 26, 2013
ifeness:

Fear of hell is actually the reason millions are into religion .And fear is the opposite of love,fear does not accommodate freedom of thought,expression..... Look at the muslims,they are being enslaved into praying every few hours of the day,christian god made it mandatory to worship him every sunday etc.. And yet these deities cannot be seen.

Take for example , i read every bit of a document before signing them,i need to view the land before making any form of payment. Definitely they are man made religions meant to manipulate humans to submission.

Anyone who is in religion because of 'fear' has no business in religion.
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Apr 26, 2013
striktlymi:

Religions especially christianity is fear based. We know hell fire is fake and so is rapture,god doesn't exist ....paying of tithe is an act of stupidity.......what will be left of it if people know these things are fake?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by nnofaith: 10:49pm On Apr 26, 2013
christianity and islam are going to die a natural death very soon.
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by NoProphecy: 10:52pm On Apr 26, 2013
I always felt (even as a small child) that all of the theist mythology was embarrassingly stupid. I never for one second believed. One thing that a forum like this does is shows people that they are not alone. This gives them the courage to call a turd a turd and move forward.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by nnofaith: 10:57pm On Apr 26, 2013
like part of the lies told in islam is that allah is the arabic name for god.
my take is mohammed's father was named abdullah which means servant of allah, if mohammed's father existed some 50 yrs before islam (note that arabia had about 350 gods at that time) after which allah was he named?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Apr 26, 2013
striktlymi:

Just to prove from your bible christianity is fear based....

"Be careful to do everything I have said to you. Do not invoke the names of other gods; do not let them be heard on your lips."

Exodus 23:13

"What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him?"

Deuteronomy 4:7

This passages amongst many are reason christian fear their unknown god. What a bully!
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by nnofaith: 11:00pm On Apr 26, 2013
why should a god that is meant for everybody reside in saudi arabia?
Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by RedLight1: 11:03pm On Apr 26, 2013
striktlymi:

well the "how" is not important to me coz No one or religion has been able to explain the "how" so its definitely irrevelant... And i dnt think there is any "unknown" anywhere... The only uknown is the one created by human imagination

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
my direction towards atheism finally crystallized when the Holy Spirit lied against me.. that was the Last Straw.. i mean WTF.. how could he!? from that point on.. i knew the Wizard of Oz was just a SCAM?!

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Stop Believing? by RedLight1: 11:10pm On Apr 26, 2013
lagerwhenindoubt: my direction towards atheism finally crystallized when the Holy Spirit lied against me.. that was the Last Straw.. i mean WTF.. how could he!? from that point on.. i knew the Wizard of Oz was just a SCAM?!
lmao

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] / Tb Joshua's Critics Pharisee Chronicle #2 / Was Jonah Really Alive In The Belly Of Fish?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.