Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] (3179 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? / 5 Silly Reasons Why Some People Don't Go To Church These Days / That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 2:51am On Dec 18, 2016
Many here know me as an atheist and so may probably mistake this write up as a typical atheistic attack on the religious enterprise and in so doing divert the message of this work due to sentimental reasons harbored towards the messenger, I plead this may not be so..
The tone and points of this article should be the subject of interest to the reader not my person, this is a message inspired from my society, the world of the poor sadly the world of the foolish.

In every corner of the country there is a soulful Christian crying out fervently to the heavens for favors, a profound Muslim bowing to the ground In homage to the heaven sincerely praying for a better world, there is a sincere hope in these supplications, a lingering opium for a wanting mind.

The Nigerian society is an intricate chain of problems met unfortunately with an incessant web of blames. In every level, point or societal ladder of our world, the Nigerian world, the African world, the global community in a broad sense it is always an incessant sometimes ludicrous chain of blame shifts.

Rape victims are blamed for their ordeal while the men are excused with the idiotic notion of being seduced by their clothing or subtle hints, child molesters blame devils for the actions directly as a result of their own volition, the government is blaming past administrations and the masses for their own bumbling ineptitude and the people blame the government for their every predicament even self inflicted ones – its an endless chain of causalities giving rise to needless blames most times as a result of complete idiocy.

For this work I am going to focus on the masses aspect of this unending misplacement of priority and with this I am going to address the overly spirituality of the average poor man out there since it makes up not only a vital but an inexcusable cause of our societal structure – The masses are both poor and stupid indeed .

Religious pilgrimage subsidy

The country subsidized dollars for pilgrims heading for the hajj at an unprecedented huge bite on the country’s coffers.
Religious pilgrimage just like tourism can be satisfying, beautiful and enlightening in many ways but just like tourism is a personal matter and not a matter deserving national importance at least not to the extent of being in our financial burden.

This is a country where there is hardly enough dollars for the business enterprise, the government is unforgiving to the business world in terms of forex policies not to talk of subsidizing dollar at an affordable rate to ease the pain of Nigerian business which as we know can directly or indirectly affect generally the Nigerian economy, but no we would rather import spirituality and in so doing keep enriching another nation.

The forex policies which are cruel on even the Nigerian students studying overseas are diluted for those going to pray in a special house of god that cannot be found elsewhere. God somehow require a special visit to a special place in a special house for a special prayer just to feel better towards us, there is no scam ever more clearer than that.

Our athletes are underpaid if they are even paid at all but we have enough to hire prayer warriors for state and national prayers.

Our dependency on spiritualism has proven to be a leash on the neck of the society, our inability to judge from a realistic and objective sense but would rather rely more on things unseen, vague and shadowy practises, faith and undiluted spiritualism that has not produced desired result since we first started relying on it.

Sell and buy god
Our spiritual reliance is so unfortunate that it deserves pity, it’s a societal can of worms that needs to be checked or it will walk hand in hand with our doom.

The enterprise of ‘’god selling’’ is the most booming business in the Nigerian setting, a venture so lucrative that it comes even with it’s own illegitimate immunity in our judicial sphere.

For a platter of shouty promises buttered in the ever thunderous amen of the ever hopeful people, tithes and offerings overflow enriching not the pockets of god but the man who merchandise god.

There is hardly money for food but there will always be money for the church who rake in millions on weekly bases all mined from the bloody sweat of the poor lot.

Less work, more prayer

Xun zi of china [312 – 230bc] once remarked
‘’pray all you want the heaven cant hear you, its not going to stop the winter because you are cold and its not going to make the earth smaller cus you don’t want to walk so far.

You may pray for rain and it rains but this has nothing to do with your prayers, sometimes you don’t pray and it rains anyway.
If you act wisely good things tend to happen, act foolishly and bad things tend to follow, don’t thank or curse heaven- its just the natural effects of your action.

If you want to have a better life educate yourself an d think carefully about the consequences of your own actions.’

If there is a thing Johannine theology taught me it is that a full profession of faith or conviction must be accompanied with a likewise action.
James 2:26 ‘’faith without works is dead’’ forms a good part of catholic teachings and this implies if you pray for the hungry, feed them and take your work as your faith in action.

But there is a contradiction in this idea championed in the very fabrics of Pauline theology which relegates works and upholds more faith – this line of thought I think is prevalent in the Nigerian spiritual setting.

We tend to rely more on vague hopes and faithful expectations of help from the heavens instead of banking more on our own abilities to AFFECT the changes we seek.

A student would read less and pray more for an exam, strange illness are met with more prayers than with suitable medications or a nudge towards medical research.

This is a disturbing practice prevalent in our psychological compass, we tend to float more prayers than works and this explains why we are easy prey for the wise to extort in name of God.

The everybody but me mindset
The average Nigerian will blame everybody or everything else for our predicaments especially the ever popular spiritual forces – God, Gods, devils, demons, witches, uncles in the village but never ourselves for even effects that are so clearly as a result of our own actions.

I can never trust someone who blames something else for his life, never trust someone who do not or cannot take responsibility for their own circumstances.

It is always the devil’s handiwork, it is always the fault of those witches in the compound or office or the fault of that weird looking uncle in the village who didn’t reply my greetings.

It is never our fault – this reliance on superstition to channel blames for our own circumstances limits our potentials cus it makes the person the victim of his circumstance not master over it who has the ability to change what he can.

This always leads us into the futile attempts and wild goose chase of securing spiritual remedies for our circumstances; I wonder why we are not living a utopia right now if this somehow works.

Misplaced priorities, ill placed blames
There is a certain observation that is very obvious and clear even to the blind, I listen to ‘’Amen’ by fela and his message not only was valid, still is valid and if care is not taken will always be concerning the particular issue of simplistic practice of spirituality.

If you go to any community in this country, no matter how poor, backward or small there almost certainly will be a church or mosque in these communities, edifices amounting to millions of naira and sometimes mega auditoriums all dedicated to spiritual purposes amounting to billions.
But one look around the community surrounding these churches or mosques is enough to make you weep. In the deep rural areas of kogi most cement block buildings are mosques the people make do with mud walls.

We spend millions, billions in building houses for the god, neglecting our own human needs, the funds are raised from the collective pain staking efforts of these masses. We pray to God for help, we blame the government when help doesn’t come and we still go back to get robbed in the name of god.

Here is a question we should all mull over.

‘’is the well beings of humans more important to God than magnificent houses in it’s/his/her name?’’

it all depends on what your answer is.

If ‘’yes’’ then isn’t it appealing to logic that god would rather have us channel this collective communal funds from our very sweat and blood towards projects gunned towards our own well being and betterment.

Why should we spend billions for a building when we have no good or consistent water supply, when our roads are death traps, when our school intellectually murders our kids, when our hospitals are morgues in disguise due to lack of equipment.

Simply put we have a misplaced priority cantered on the very fact that we are too ludicrously dependent on spiritualism.

We spend millions to build a place of prayer so we could go and pray for water..

We blame the government even for basic things we could collectively achieve for ourselves, we lay our hope in the heavens and our expectations in the government all the while the power to change things are forever under our nose but the spiritual caused ill placed priorities will never let us see them or utilized them – ensuring an ever growing spiritual enterprise is ever more important to us than anything else.
We are indeed a silly lot.

Let it not be mistaken that I am in entirety condemning spirituality, not at all. It can be edifying and satisfying in some sense but our overly dependency on spirituality at the expense of our reason has cost us more than we should afford.

This is not a call to condemn but a call to reason, a call to work more and a call to not depend on the heavens to do for us what we could have easily done for ourselves.

A mere glance at the events all over the world there is no telling how unclear the so called powers of god and devils, we must not only minimize our faith in help from the heavens but look towards ourselves for our own salvation.

In the long run the power to save or mar ourselves rest sorely with us.

36 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by kevoh(m): 4:06am On Dec 18, 2016
johnydon22:

Religious pilgrimage subsidy

The country subsidized dollars for pilgrims heading for the hajj at an unprecedented huge bite on the country’s coffers.
Religious pilgrimage just like tourism can be satisfying, beautiful and enlightening in many ways but just like tourism is a personal matter and not a matter deserving national importance at least not to the extent of being in our financial burden.

This is a country where there is hardly enough dollars for the business enterprise, the government is unforgiving to the business world in terms of forex policies not to talk of subsidizing dollar at an affordable rate to ease the pain of Nigerian business which as we know can directly or indirectly affect generally the Nigerian economy, but no we would rather import spirituality and in so doing keep enriching another nation.

This is the part that irks me the most. I work in the aviation sector and every year, most especially towards the later part of a year, I get to see huge number of pilgrims being airlifted to either Jerusalem or Mecca. Each state brings its sponsored pilgrims in buses for like a day or two through out this duration. These are the people the country subsidizes dollars for, to go and spend in hotels, restaurants and see Abrahamic religious places and past events. Their host countries smile to the bank (Saudi most especially)and economy boosted with the influx of dollars brought in and spent by these pilgrims daily while Nigeria is left with worthless religious memorabilia brought in by Pilgrims with the subsidized dollars like vials of Jerusalem sand that Jesus supposedly walked on. I am not an economist,so pardon my ignorance, of what use is a few grains of Jerusalem sand to Nigeria?

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by orisa37: 5:06am On Dec 18, 2016
It's Nature that you can't eat your cake and have it. So all works and no play makes Johnny a dull boy. God is Nature, Christians vocabulary. He made all things in pairs: poor & rich; foolish & wise; military & philosophy; pmb & gej; goods & services; pilgrimage & tourism etcetera. We had our Choices. And now for Peace instead of Worry, let's either Jail Nnamdi Kanu for life or make him a Minister of Tourism right away. In which case, we may spend more forex on Tourism than on Pilgrimage. "Deos esse negare" thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 18, 2016
orisa37:
It's Nature that you can't eat your cake and have it. So all works and no play makes Johnny a dull boy. God is Nature, Christians vocabulary. He made all things in pairs: poor & rich; foolish & wise; military & philosophy; pmb & gej; goods & services; pilgrimage & tourism etcetera. We had our Choices. And now for Peace instead of Worry, let's either Jail Nnamdi Kanu for life or make him a Minister of Tourism right away. In which case, we may spend more forex on Tourism than on Pilgrimage. "Deos esse negare" thanks.
wetin u dey talk sef

10 Likes

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by orisa37: 7:54am On Dec 18, 2016
i like that.
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 10:05am On Dec 18, 2016
kevoh:

This is the part that irks me the most. I work in the aviation sector and every year, most especially towards the later part of a year, I get to see huge number of pilgrims being airlifted to either Jerusalem or Mecca. Each state brings its sponsored pilgrims in buses for like a day or two through out this duration. These are the people the country subsidizes dollars for, to go and spend in hotels, restaurants and see Abrahamic religious places and past events. Their host countries smile to the bank (Saudi most especially)and economy boosted with the influx of dollars brought in and spent by these pilgrims daily while Nigeria is left with worthless religious memorabilia brought in by Pilgrims with the subsidized dollars like vials of Jerusalem sand that Jesus supposedly walked on. I am not an economist,so pardon my ignorance, of what use is a few grains of Jerusalem sand to Nigeria?
None

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 10:07am On Dec 18, 2016
Cc. Lalasticlala seun sinaj torphaz freecocoa
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Edenoscar(m): 3:08pm On Dec 18, 2016
Another nice one from johnydon
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Omudia11: 3:25pm On Dec 18, 2016
The bane of the poor that gives you sleepless nights.
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Deicide: 3:28pm On Dec 18, 2016
Omudia11:
How do you know he doesnt sleep did the holy spirit tell you this?

1 Like

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Edenoscar(m): 7:19pm On Dec 18, 2016
Omudia11:
smh
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 8:23pm On Dec 18, 2016
Omudia11:

Address the post not me

2 Likes

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Omudia11: 8:27pm On Dec 18, 2016
You wrote it. No?
johnydon22:

Address the post not me
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 8:30pm On Dec 18, 2016
Omudia11:
You wrote it. No?
lol... Yet it has nothing to do with my person.. What I do is not the subject but the argument of the post..

So if you have something to offer, take on the argument and not the person..

Ad hominems are always sign of lack of argument brother... Be good

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Omudia11: 8:42pm On Dec 18, 2016
It has everything to do with your person. This was scripted by you so I can address you if I so please.

Doesn't it bother you that nearly all of your contributions on Nairaland are against an "inexistent" being? Your whole life is centered on attacking the same inexistent being. Why the obsession?
johnydon22:
lol... Yet it has nothing to do with my person.. What I do is not the subject but the argument of the post..

So if you have something to offer, take on the argument and not the person..

Ad hominems are always sign of lack of argument brother... Be good
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 9:31pm On Dec 18, 2016
Omudia11:
It has everything to do with your person. This was scripted by you so I can address you if I so please.

Doesn't it bother you that nearly all of your contributions on Nairaland are against an "inexistent" being? Your whole life is centered on attacking the same inexistent being. Why the obsession?

#sighs....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Immorttal: 10:07pm On Dec 18, 2016
make i grab seat, Johnydon with another well researched masterpiece

3 Likes

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 12:05am On Dec 19, 2016
Immorttal:
make i grab seat, Johnydon with another well researched masterpiece
lol any contribution bro?

1 Like

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Immorttal: 5:55am On Dec 19, 2016
johnydon22:
lol any contribution bro?
no contribution, i enjoy reading your articles, you made sense die. if you write those at redditdotcom you will receive royalties from oyibo people grin. there is an option on the site to give token for any article you like.

5 Likes

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by virginboy1(m): 6:40am On Dec 19, 2016
Omudia11:

I am a Christian, though a passive one.
But, tell us one great remarkable thing Christianity/Islam has done for the generativity of Nigerians?

Hypocrites like you lots have made God to leave Nigeria.
Now its either pastors/imams acting as god in disguise.Stockholm syndrome at his peak...
sighsssss

6 Likes

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Godstraight(m): 7:22am On Dec 19, 2016
virginboy1:

I am a Christian, though a passive one.
But, tell us one great remarkable thing Christianity/Islam has done for the generativity of Nigerians?

Now its either pastors/imams acting as god in disguise.Stockholm syndrome at his peak...
sighsssss
so god left Nigeria?,I taught he was everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Nobody: 7:48am On Dec 19, 2016
Seun, come and see this one
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Omudia11: 8:17am On Dec 19, 2016
virginboy1:

[s] I am a Christian, though a passive one. [/s]

You're not a christian so pls stick with atheism. Christians don't ask such mundane questions. What has Christianity done ? Really? What have you done?,who gave you the life you breathe? The founding Fathers of the greatest nation USA were all strong believers in Christ which founded America on christian laws. They're successful as a nation today because they always strive and put in effort to make their country great.

It is written that faith without works is dead. If you have faith in God but expect him to build your country for you then you're a fool. That Nigeria is backward isnt the fault of christianity. Christianity has more scientists, doctors, engineers etc than even atheists. There are laid down laws of God which govern the universe. Anyone who works will eat and anyone who doesn't won't eat so whether you are a fire spitting christian, if you won't work you won't eat.

sighsssss

Spot the hypocrisy in my post or forever remain silent.

1 Like

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by freethinker01: 8:24am On Dec 19, 2016
Nicely written john... This reminds me of a mosque in Ilorin that was built with over #3bn (the people's Commonwealth). The first question that came to my
mind that day was, does this building generate revenue for the government? It's just disappointing and depressing for me whenever I hear this kind of news.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 8:42am On Dec 19, 2016
freethinker01:

Nicely written john... This reminds me of a mosque in Ilorin that was built with over #3bn (the people's Commonwealth). The first question that came to my
mind that day was, does this building generate revenue for the government? It's just disappointing and depressing for me whenever I hear this kind of news.
imagine what 3billion could have done for the people...

It could build a world standard hospital, school, water and better housing for many..

We attach a weird importance to spirituality that it has become our bane, our set back towards becoming better and a wool covering our ability to reason

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by freethinker01: 9:00am On Dec 19, 2016
johnydon22:
imagine what 3billion could have done for the people...

It could build a world standard hospital, school, water and better housing for many..

We attach a weird importance to spirituality that it has become our bane, our set back towards becoming better and a wool covering our ability to reason
That was like 5 or 6 years ago when Saraki was still the governor. Just imagine what that amount of money could have done in building infrastructure. Isn't it obvious enough that spirituality can and would never develop a nation. One just keep wondering when this will get better but unfortunately, it keeps getting worse.
Sighs*

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by virginboy1(m): 9:02am On Dec 19, 2016
Omudia11:

You're not a christian so pls stick with atheism. Christians don't ask such mundane questions. What has Christianity done ? Really? What have you done?,who gave you the life you breathe? The founding Fathers of the greatest nation USA were all strong believers in Christ which founded Christianity on christian laws. They're successful as a nation today because they always strive and put in effort to make their country great.

It is written that faith without works is dead. If you have faith in God but expect him to build your country for you then you're a fool. That Nigeria is backward isnt the fault of christianity. Christianity has more scientists, doctors, engineers etc than even atheists. There are laid down laws of God which govern the universe. Anyone who works will eat and anyone who doesn't won't eat so whether you are a fire spitting christian, if you won't work you won't eat.

Spot the hypocrisy in my post or forever remain silent.

You see!!!
Once another party or entity has a contrary view against fanatical lots like you, you peg them as atheist/gentiles just to psychologically "guilt trap" them. SMH.
Moreover, do you know most of your so called pastors are practicing atheism in disguise, but play the pious tone so that the tithes and monetary favors will be coming in
you know in your mind,but you choose to ignore,because you made up your mind to.Sighs.

But Uncle, you haven't answered me, Since when you came into existence as a Nigerian what have Christianity/Islam done for the country.
Answer me, and stop beating around the Bush with your strawman antics.
thank you.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by Omudia11: 9:22am On Dec 19, 2016
Thrash! And I'm not your uncle.[s]
virginboy1:

You see!!!
Once another party or entity has a contrary view against fanatical lots like you, you peg them as atheist/gentiles just to psychologically "guilt trap" them. SMH.
Moreover, do you know most of your so called pastors are practicing atheism in disguise, but play the pious tone so that the tithes and monetary favors will be coming in
you know in your mind,but you choose to ignore,because you made up your mind to.Sighs.

But Uncle, you haven't answered me, Since when you came into existence as a Nigerian what have Christianity/Islam done for the country.
thank you.
[/s]
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by hopefulLandlord: 9:39am On Dec 19, 2016
SHOW ME A COUNTRY...

Show me a country that respects its Pastors, Imams, and Rabbis more than it respects its Farmers, Teachers, and Scientists, and I will show you a doomed country that will forever be the laughing stock of the world.

Tell me the name of the country that puts bible above brain, faith above facts, prayer above proof, churches over schools, rapture above reason, invisible gods over visible goodness, life after death above life before death, tithing above thinking.

Tell me the name of that country and I will tell you the name of a country whose children will grow up to be children---mental cripples.

Does that describe your country?

Credit:Joseph1013

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 9:47am On Dec 19, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
SHOW ME A COUNTRY...

Show me a country that respects its Pastors, Imams, and Rabbis more than it respects its Farmers, Teachers, and Scientists, and I will show you a doomed country that will forever be the laughing stock of the world.

Tell me the name of the country that puts bible above brain, faith above facts, prayer above proof, churches over schools, rapture above reason, invisible gods over visible goodness, life after death above life before death, tithing above thinking.

Tell me the name of that country and I will tell you the name of a country whose children will grow up to be children---mental cripples.

Does that describe your country?

Credit:Joseph1013

I know of such a country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 9:50am On Dec 19, 2016
virginboy1:

You see!!!

thank you.

Nice reply but as per the bolded, it's a fallacy of ambiguity to assume you know what the other person may know or knowa
Re: Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] by johnydon22(m): 9:51am On Dec 19, 2016
freethinker01:

That was like 5 or 6 years ago when Saraki was still the governor. Just imagine what that amount of money could have done in building infrastructure. Isn't it obvious enough that spirituality can and would never develop a nation. One just keep wondering when this will get better but unfortunately, it keeps getting worse.
Sighs*

We spend billions to build churches and mosques for prayers so we could go there and pray for good water and health....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Great Conversion Testimony Of Paul Ado Bayero (Grandson Of Emir Of Kano) / Mercy Killing: The Christian View. . . / Why Did You Stop Believing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.