Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? (1107 Views)

Nigeria, Now A Research Field For Corruption? / My Stand On Who APC Should Field For The Presidency/VP - Femi Fani-kayode / Who Should APC Select As Their Presidential Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by Kabikala(m): 8:57am On Apr 29, 2013
It is almost certain that PDP will field Goodluck Jonathan again for the 2015 Presidential elections. As things stand, APC is the only other political structure that can give him a fight.
So, which candidate offers the best chance for APC to defeat Goodluck Jonathan in the 2015 Presidential elections?
Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by Scarpon(m): 9:02am On Apr 29, 2013
if buhari comes up am not voting but if fashola ,( etc the good one) I will vote
Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by Kabikala(m): 9:04am On Apr 29, 2013
My position: Oshiomhole is APC’s best bet for 2015
I am not a politician and do not belong to any of the political parties. I am however concerned at the way my country is being run and have been more than disappointed in the present leadership at the national level as represented by Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. My preference for 2015 is therefore predicated solely on whether or not a viable alternative is presented to wrest power from the PDP, who for all intents and purposes, will field Goodluck Jonathan again as its 2015 presidential flagbearer.
Let me state some of my postulations based on my understanding of the Nigerian political terrain. First, I think the core north will not support Goodluck Jonathan in 2015 and will most likely vote for his opponent. Secondly, going by PDP’s history, the presidency has always forced its will on the party. Obasanjo installed the national executive officers he wanted while he was President. Goodluck is also toeing the same path. So PDP Governors with no real power thinking they can wrest the presidential ticket from Jonathan are actually pursuing a vacuous expectation. If Jonathan is actually interested in re-contesting in 2015 (as I am convinced he is), he will easily pick the PDP ticket. And after all the huffing and puffing, the recalcitrant PDP Governors will most likely make up with him in exchange for soft landings from corruption probes and persecution after leaving office. This is even more important as more than 70% of the current PDP governors are finishing their second terms. The more sycophantic and jittery among them could even negotiate for a ministerial position.
So, there you have Jonathan, the most probable PDP candidate. Now, who is in a good position to defeat him in the APC, the only viable opposition party we have in Nigeria. If for example, a northern Muslim candidate like El-Rufai, Buhari or Shekarau is selected as the flagbearer as is being rumored, they would have given Jonathan an easy ride. This is because as it is, owing to the Boko Haram carnage and the perceived ambivalence of the northern Muslim elites, southerners will never vote for a northern Muslim candidate in this kind of times. So nominating a northern Muslim to contest against Jonathan in 2015 is handing the presidency to Jonathan on a platter of gold. If there is an acceptable northern Christian presidential candidate, I am sure the core north would still prefer him to Jonathan in spite of their reservations. But I don’t know of any such person with the kind of clout, pedigree, and charisma to mount a serious challenge to the incumbent with the resources at the latter's disposal.
Coming down south, we could look at the options of Fashola, Tinubu, Rochas or Oshiomhole. Tinubu is perceived as being dictatorial and also carries the baggage of the Chicago certificate scandal which he had never resolved. Fashola, who is widely credited with outstanding performance as Lagos Governor, is also perceived as being too much of a Tinubu boy and should he become President, would probably be held hostage in Aso Rock as he is presently at Alausa. Rochas’ performance has not been acclaimed unanimously, and he does not have any serious followership outside of Imo State. Oshiomhole is best positioned to defeat a Jonathan aspiration in 2015.
First, he will split the south south votes with Jona’ and may make serious impact in the south east. He would also defeat Jonathan in the south west that has been the bastion of progressive politics from time immemorial. He also has the advantage of being seen as his own man, not kow-towing before any godfather. And I am sure the core north would never vote for Jonathan under any circumstances and an Oshiomhole alternative may be an easy sell. Oshiomhole is also very eloquent (Jonathan would never risk a debate with Oshiomhole unless he wants to commit suicide) and is a mass mobilizer. He can also play rough when there is a need. Above all, he has been tested at various levels of governance and management and he has never disappointed. With average allocations to his state, he has provided a standard of governance ranking among the best in the country. I am sure the core north would prefer him to Jonathan and the northern Christians would not have problems trusting him. In actual fact, many people do not know whether Oshiomhole is a Christian or Muslim.

3 Likes

Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by tatosh: 9:12am On Apr 29, 2013
FASHOLA!! I believe if Buhari does not run he should be able to gather enough support from the North for him. Fashola is already an automatic sell out in most parts of the south.
Those in the Niger-delta can vote GEJ all they like, it won't even matter. The clueless prick can then return back to otueke where he truly belongs
Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by effizy123(m): 5:03pm On Apr 29, 2013
I believe Fashola or Oshiomole is the ideal candidate for the APC, but then i do not know how they will be able to convince Buhari to shelve his ambition because his command of 12 million votes is not going to go down wasily at the negotiation table. democracy is all about numbers and 12 million votes from the north is no joke to the APC
Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by vizboy(m): 5:50pm On Apr 29, 2013
Oshio or fashola
Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by mike404(m): 6:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
FASHOLA UNDER LABOUR PARTY YES! grin BUHARI MBANU angry
Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by nabiz(m): 7:17pm On Apr 29, 2013
to me i choose oshomole for president ribadu for vice
Re: Who Should APC Field For 2015 Presidency In Order To Defeat Jonathan? by CROWE: 7:21pm On Apr 29, 2013
fashola

(1) (Reply)

We Can’t Meet Your Demands, FG Tells ASUU. / Bayelsa: New PDP Men Go Into Hiding As Police Hunt Members / Lets Start The Campaign, #boycott Dana Airlines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.