Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,817 members, 7,820,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148161 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:43am On Aug 08, 2013
ohmashoes: Shop for women's shoes up to size 13W, various designers

www.ohmashoes.com
www.facebook.com/ohmashoes

I beg you in the name of Gos, if you goint to post, let it be topic specific PLEASE! On my knees!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:46am On Aug 08, 2013
Ladies and our 'invisible' gentle man, biko post your progress pics nau? Fabrics, work-in-progress every! Let's make the thread more picture friendly :-)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 3:05pm On Aug 08, 2013
My front bodice

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 3:12pm On Aug 08, 2013
My fabric. I just cut and pinned it. I ll join it today
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 3:16pm On Aug 08, 2013
Finally I've been able to upload a pix! I think I've found a way around it *winks*.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 3:47pm On Aug 08, 2013
dis is d fabric I will be using.commencing cutting with lining piece

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by bukkoollaa(f): 4:47pm On Aug 08, 2013
i love dat orange gown. wil like to join dis group.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 4:55pm On Aug 08, 2013
Please see pictures as promised.
onnari :

1. The cup of the bust wouldn't affect your markings cos you'll take into consideration I.e don't flatten It,let it 'rise' just as it is and then let the tape measure lay over it. If for example your bust measure is 36", you can make the bust measurement for the front bodice 19" and the back 17" etc
2. The upward slant is to prevent a funny sloppy look after you join the bodice to the band. As per measurement, you can use a half inch from the bottom, and then just cut upwards.

Thanks Onnari... after joining the pieces I saw why the upwards cut was needed. I'm going to buy lining today and go from there.

One more thing, I just winged the armhole cut but I wasn't really clear on the explanation. I do have a french curve that I used, but I wasn't too sure how slanted or straight the curve should be.

I have learnt a lot already and I truly appreciate you doing this., Its way better than cutting from a pattern. Trust me that is a very frustrating and painstaking process that I'm, not sure is entirely worth it. MHO FWIW.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 4:57pm On Aug 08, 2013
bukkoollaa: i love dat orange gown. will like to join dis group.

Yeah I agree, I love the fabric shown. Please more pictures from everyone on the sewalong. Onnari, we await the back bodice post.

I may not post for a while after tonight as I'm going to be away for a bit, but I should return in full force next week.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 5:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
Errrm....@onari ,d first piece u posted I assume is jus for d front bodice abi? bt goin by ur calc,d piece is enough to go round d circumference.since its jus d front bodice r we nt supposed to divide by 4 instead of 2 cos m havin so much excess frm dis front alone(tryin to be conservative here though!!)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 5:52pm On Aug 08, 2013
Hehe! Work in progress.

Onnari you said to cut the bottom part downwards, I don't know where exactly to cut. Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:52pm On Aug 08, 2013
Here is mine........ .please note that this is the same thing onnari did in her post only in a different method but we would get to the same point at the end wink

My Measurement

Shoulder 15
Neck depth 4
Neck wideness across the shoulder 6

My bust measurement is taken in two measurement areas by lenght and by circumfrence so i will say L and C to indicate that.
Note measurement is taken from the shoulder down for length and round the body area for the circumfrence

Upper bust by L= 8, C=39
Bust L=11, C=40
Under bust L=14, C= 37

Point to point 8 (nipple to nipple on the bust area)

Cutting my bodies
I divided my bust which is the biggest part of my bust area.40 into 2
That gaives me 20 for the front, 20 for the back.
I then added 5 to that 20=25 for the front

Seam allowance.
The 5 i added is for the princess cut and seam allowance
The side seam allowance will need 1.5 ×2 =3
The princess cut seam in front will need 1×2= 2
That makes up the 5 i added to the 20 for my front bodies

Marking it out.
Place my fabric the 25 inch i cut on fold to get the center
I get my piont to point out from the the center
I marked my measurement by my length and circumfrence.
I used 14 as my half cut from my shoulder to the point i would attach my band
My band will be 3inch before the skirt part.

2 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 10:07pm On Aug 08, 2013
@Efosa Val, welldone oh. Your pix is very clear and I like the purple contrasting background. I just learnt something from your fabric piece now.
@Onnari and Efosa, Please take a look at my fabric, diD I get it? It seems the side is not straight, did I miss something? Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2013
@Efosa, i love ur pics but pls, what is the measurement from the shoulder to where the princess cut starts?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:20pm On Aug 08, 2013
So the half cut before the band which i made 14 i added 1 inch for seam
Also my band i added 1 inch to it to make 4 for seam allowance

The main purpose of measuring my upper bust,bust, and under bust is to shape the cup area of my bust

Therefore i must make sure at my upper bust i get 39,at my bust i get 40,and at my under bust i get 37

Remember i divided the circumference measurement into two using my fullest part which is the bust 40
And that gave me 20 then i added 5 for seam.

The same thing applies to the upper bust and the under bust
Upper bust 39÷2=19.5
Under bust 37÷2=18.5

On all your seam allowance 5inches must be added

To get that princess dart slop from the ampit
I measured my armwhole which would be about 9inch when placed on fold
Then i divided that 9 into 2 having one side longer and the orther side shorter by 5 and 4
Then i linked the line of my point to point from the bust to the armpit to get that princess cut.
I also removed about half and a quater inch from the armpit area to get my breast dart on top

Down on my under bust area i cut out about 2inch (fabric is still placed on fold) to get the bust cup out too.

When i opened the fabric my cut looked like this with the band added

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:23pm On Aug 08, 2013
cheries: @Efosa, i love ur pics but pls, what is the measurement from the shoulder to where the princess cut starts?

Oh thanks hun. cheesy

I used the division of my arm whole into 2 to get that
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
wizb: @Efosa Val, welldone oh. Your pix is very clear and I like the purple contrasting background. I just learnt something from your fabric piece now. Thanks

Really glade to hear that dear thanks cheesy
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 10:41pm On Aug 08, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Really glade to hear that dear thanks cheesy

Pls check my pix and teLl me what you think. Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 10:53pm On Aug 08, 2013
Efosa, pls i need more clarification on princess cut(pls use drawings and makings, if possible) for easier understanding
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:57pm On Aug 08, 2013
Hope its ok i go into the skirt part now..........................dont want to be too forward o! Hummmmm tongue

First i determin the lenght of my dress,deduct the bodies measurement plus the band,what ever is left will be the skirt part ,also dont forget seam allowance for zip and the joing up plus the hem line down

Then i determine what my waist measurement is

Mine is 35 so it means every thing i do must add up to 35 on my waist line.

So i cut out a strech of fabric measuring at 72

Place the fabric on fold to mark the center then,i also marked my zip part at the end of my fabric

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 11:05pm On Aug 08, 2013
@Efosaval, u'r just good. Yr tutorials are concise, clear. I'm thrilled @ yr tutoring. I'm just not one given 2 so much words, I'm by nature, more, a practical person, plus I've bn verrrrrrrrry busy, dats y i hav seemed to b quiet on the thread.
@Onnari, I'm following, just quietly awaiting my turn for my own inputs. I'll start cutting my own fabric tomorrow, God willing. P.s., i made my own sika wrap dress. I'll upload my finished dress tomorrow.
@Efosaval, ****stil tripping**winks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:19pm On Aug 08, 2013
cheries: Efosa, pls i need more clarification on princess cut(pls use drawings and makings, if possible) for easier understanding

Chineke......... grin...@..Mak'sjoy thanks dear God bless you.
I know you will do us proud too when you post your part too wink
@ cheries...hope this helps

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:48pm On Aug 08, 2013
So i continue the skirt part now

Remember we have gotten our zip and marked the center of my long strech fabric of 72,
From here i shall use my point to point measurement which is 8 for the front pleat

From my center i marked 4 on both ends then i pleated in 2inches on both sides

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:57pm On Aug 08, 2013
smiley on the front and back view you should have it looking like this.................note that, i just used 2inch for mine meaning that you can have your pleat more than 2inch if you want,

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:23am On Aug 09, 2013
Remember i have gotten my zip at the back.............pined up
The next step is to do my gathers,
I started my gathers from where my pleat ends all the way to my zip area on both sides and sew to form the gathers
Note that in the picture the gathers is not so much

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:29am On Aug 09, 2013
Placing all together my out fit is almost ready wink

Over to the next instructor,my skirt part is done smiley
I hope it was clear enough.......if not just ask any qestions i will be happy to go over it again

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:12am On Aug 09, 2013
wizb: Hehe! Work in progress.

Onnari you said to cut the bottom part downwards, I don't know where exactly to cut. Thanks
yodiyokun: Please see pictures as promised.

Thanks Onnari... after joining the pieces I saw why the upwards cut was needed. I'm going to buy lining today and go from there.

One more thing, I just winged the armhole cut but I wasn't really clear on the explanation. I do have a french curve that I used, but I wasn't too sure how slanted or straight the curve should be.

I have learnt a lot already and I truly appreciate you doing this., Its way better than cutting from a pattern. Trust me that is a very frustrating and painstaking process that I'm, not sure is entirely worth it. MHO FWIW.

@ the center where there's a slant, straighten it up I.e cut in a straight line, then from the joining seam cut upwards half an inch from the edge so that what you cut out looks like a triangle.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:18am On Aug 09, 2013
wizb: @Efosa Val, welldone oh. Your pix is very clear and I like the purple contrasting background. I just learnt something from your fabric piece now.
@Onnari and Efosa, Please take a look at my fabric, diD I get it? It seems the side is not straight, did I miss something? Thanks

From the center to the joining seam cut in a straight line, from the joining seam outwards, slant upwards half an inch frm the bottom
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:21am On Aug 09, 2013
jadareese: Errrm....@onari ,d first piece u posted I assume is jus for d front bodice abi? bt goin by ur calc,d piece is enough to go round d circumference.since its jus d front bodice r we nt supposed to divide by 4 instead of 2 cos m havin so much excess frm dis front alone(tryin to be conservative here though!!)

What measurements are you working with? Post your bust, and waist measurements.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 5:28am On Aug 09, 2013
Back bodice:
The back bodice is almost the same as the front,only difference is that you leave a zip allowance, and the curve isn't as sharp as that of the front cos you don't have boobs @ ur back :-)
-Use same proportions only add your zip allowance @ the center back ( mine is 1.5"wink
-mark out ur bust,empire(underbust),waistline
#again forgive my pic quality,using a phone cam#

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.