Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148011 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
Peddylove: Hello house,
I'm so happy that this thread has come alive again though I'm a quiet participant. I love †ђξ yellow dress too but can a small jacket βε̲̣ worn on ℓ̊t? I'm not very comfortable with sleeveless clothes outside †ђξ house. Thanks

[color=#770077]
I'm so happy that this thread has come alive again though I'm a quiet participant. I love †ђξ yellow dress too but can a small jacket βε̲̣ worn on ℓ̊t? I'm not very comfortable with sleeveless clothes outside †ђξ house. Thanks
[/color
Yeah, i tink it'll b nice.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:04am On Jul 28, 2013
Hello all, voting formally closes on july 31st although from all indications we are doing the yellow Orla Kiely dress. The name of this sew along would be labelled the Orla Kiely Dress Sew Along.
You know the drill :i-)
1. Fabrics,dress details/info and necessary notions would be
specified at the close of voting I.e july 31st.
2. Posts would be brief to avoid overloads
3. Photos/links of participants’ fabrics as well as
work –in-process and finished projects would
be published
4 Myself as well other participants would be on
hand to assist whoever gets ‘stuck’

Participant SHOULD endeavour to post progressive and start off photos to spice things up and encourage others. Thanks a lot for taking part guys. Have a blessed day/week
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ehonda(m): 12:05pm On Jul 28, 2013
Nice concept, i am looking forward to see u guys displaying creativity per excellence.
I am a sewing machine engineer with over 10yrs experience in the textile industry, i am a consultant that sale, install, service sewing machine in Lagos. Quick response and excellence service delievery. Just a call away from u. 08189956612.
Cheers
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:46pm On Jul 28, 2013

You can also add sleeve to ur dress..........it don't have to be sleeveless you know wink as long as you comfortable in it after making the dress.

Cherry depend on you body statistics thou but I think 2yards plus or 3 would be ok

I got my fabric already,-2yards hopefully it will be ok.am using excellence fabric

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by simssaly(f): 10:51pm On Jul 28, 2013
Cool stuff onnari n well done! Been following this thread but as a guest n only just joined cos I want to take part in the august sew along. Isn't 31st too far? :-( I mean majority if not everyone has voted the yellow dress so please onnari let's just begin asap! 28th(today) sims too far frm 31st for us
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:18am On Jul 29, 2013
Lol olryt dear! no problem with that-wanted t give everyone a bit of time but if you've got your fabrics and notions ready, shoot! Would be sure to post photos of my fabric and notions before the day runs out.
@ cheries,if you're based @ onitsha why r u looking out for Excellence though? that's like one of the best places (also Aba) t get good fabrics in the east and you'll be able t find lovely cotton fabrics. Try it out.

Tools needed for the Orla Kiely Dress Sew Along:
1. Fabric(plain, you could experiment with any colour you like).
2. Zipper.
3. Buttons (sailor buttons if possible or any contrasting button)
4.Under linning
5. Sewing machine,hand needle,thread,fabric stay,tape,scissors,table.
6. Pressing iron
Measurements required:

Shoulder
Bust
Armhole
Neckline depth
Apex
Sleeve length,sleeve cuffs (for those who need sleeves inserted in their dresses)
Empire (shoulder to underbust and width)
Natural waistline (about two inches above the belly button)
Bodice(shoulder to belly button and width)
Dress length

Please feel free to post photos of your intended fabrics! Have a blessed day.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:36pm On Jul 29, 2013
Here's my fabric, and sailor buttons I intend using. I got a cotton fabric,it's got elastane in it n so can stretch.
Later guys

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 8:11pm On Jul 29, 2013
Oh, i tot fabric's supposed 2 b pure cotton.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:17am On Jul 30, 2013
U can definitely do pure cotton I opted for this cos I prefer it when faced with options I.e stretch wise :-) for this dress, I wouldn't be using an underlining so the stretch would work perfectly.however most of our african prints sadly don't come in 100 percent cotton these days,some have got synthetic fibers in 'em, nylon et al
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:30am On Jul 31, 2013
@maksjoy- u indicated interest in tutoring? you can begin ASAP as there are first timers/beginners here.
Ciao!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 4:30pm On Jul 31, 2013
Hello ladies, its great to see a sew along on nairaland. I am a self taught sewist. A beginner and I have sowed successfully with patterns. However I am very interested in learning how to sew without patterns.

I recently rearranged my sewing room and I'm ready to go. I love the dress picked. I'll take photos of my fabric and post tonight when I get home. I intend to use a cotton sateen fabric with a little stretch. We can use any button no?

Please would you post tutorials on how to measure for the armhole and cut sleeves.

Also are we working on a schedule? When does the sewing start. I'd love to do sew along every month. Can y'all tell I'm excited.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:36pm On Jul 31, 2013
yodiyokun: Hello ladies, its great to see a sew along on nairaland. I am a self taught sewist. A beginner and I have sowed successfully with patterns. However I am very interested in learning how to sew without patterns.

I recently rearranged my sewing room and I'm ready to go. I love the dress picked. I'll take photos of my fabric and post tonight when I get home. I intend to use a cotton sateen fabric with a little stretch. We can use any button no?

Please would you post tutorials on how to measure for the armhole and cut sleeves.

Also are we working on a schedule? When does the sewing start. I'd love to do sew along every month. Can y'all tell I'm excited.

U welcome aboard! Sewing without patterns is so liberating and fun. Would love t see ur photos and yes you can use any contrasting button if you can't lay your hands on sailor buttons. As for the measurements,is it just the armholes you having issues with? Would help out with that so let me know when. As for a schedule, I wanted this august sew along t be really interactive so I'm thinking of breaking the dress into bits and each bit can be taught by a different person? Does that sound ok? If it doesn't, we'll go a different route. Naturally, it should take off on the first of august...
Glad t haav u here n in subsequent sew alongs!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 1:22am On Aug 01, 2013
Fabric 1 - Light cotton fabric. I have this in 2.5 yards so it should be more than enough. However its transparent and I wonder whether we will be lining for the sew along. The original Orla Kiely is unlined made from crisp cotton. What do you think? I am attaching the second fabric option. That's a thicker sateen cotton.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 1:33am On Aug 01, 2013
2nd fabric.

Breaking the class into bits sounds fine to me. I guess we can always ask questions if something is unclear.

Yes I have problems with the armhole shape (front and back)and the shoulder slant simply because I have never cut any dress from scratch before. Any help you can give is very much appreciated. I fully intend to try out the first sew along too because I love the style.

1 Share

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:57am On Aug 01, 2013
yodiyokun: Fabric 1 - Light cotton fabric. I have this in 2.5 yards so it should be more than enough. However its transparent and I wonder whether we will be lining for the sew along. The original Orla Kiely is unlined made from crisp cotton. What do you think? I am attaching the second fabric option. That's a thicker sateen cotton.

I like the look of this fabric- if you want t go for it,you could use underlining. My cotton fabric's not light @ all and with it's stretchy nature,I'm not using any underlining,just interfacing.so if u going for this, u'll also be guided on inserting the underlinning if you're stuck.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:06am On Aug 01, 2013
yodiyokun: 2nd fabric.

Breaking the class into bits sounds fine to me. I guess we can always ask questions if something is unclear.

Yes I have problems with the armhole shape (front and back)and the shoulder slant simply because I have never cut any dress from scratch before. Any help you can give is very much appreciated. I fully intend to try out the first sew along too because I love the style.

Alright, we'll break the dress into bits and assign different instructors to each bit. So interested participants should specify any interest in tutoring, so I know how many instructors there are to work with.
I'l make a pre-post for you on the armhole cut/shoulder slant probably by today/tomorrow. So send in ur shoulder,bust,and armhole measurements. If u arnt sure,u can measure out any tops/dresses of urs. N also let me know if ur doing a sleeveless dress or if you doing sleeves.
I also love this fabric. It's fun and can also work.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 10:23am On Aug 01, 2013
I'm so excited about this thread! I keep refreshing this page almost every hour.
@onnari you are a star, I ve been following your blog since you started blogging. I like all the tutorials and I ve learnt a lot. Seems this Orla Kiely dress won't be on your blog but I'm sure you'll still do a good job here.
I'm still learning how to sew and I don't really know how to cut the armhole, neckline and sleeve. Could you please post a tutorial?
Thanks.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 7:48pm On Aug 01, 2013
onnari :
@maksjoy- u indicated interest in tutoring? you can begin ASAP as there are first timers/beginners here.
Ciao!
@ Onnari, I'm so sory for d silence, I've bn swamped in work. U kno, sallah season. There's so much 2 do in my shop, everyday, i return home wit headache. (i wish u could advice on dat!). I like d idea of sharing different parts of the dress among tutors. Let me kno which part u want me 2 take, I'll do my best to b available, or else, just let me tag along. I promise 2 b more active in subsequent sew alongs, as long as they don't fall into tailors "season" periods. From the look of things, I'll mak my own after Sallah.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:06pm On Aug 01, 2013
wizb: I'm so excited about this thread! I keep refreshing this page almost every hour.
@onnari you are a star, I ve been following your blog since you started blogging. I like all the tutorials and I ve learnt a lot. Seems this Orla Kiely dress won't be on your blog but I'm sure you'll still do a good job here.
I'm still learning how to sew and I don't really know how to cut the armhole, neckline and sleeve. Could you please post a tutorial on that? Also I would like to insert the zipper by the side(because I'm breastfeeding), Would that be possible?
Thanks.

Aww u flatter! Anyways I'm so humbled t hear that n @ d same time,glad t be of help.@ refreshing the page frequently, I wish it was that spontaneous!that'll be awesome.about the blog- it's going through some major transformation which would be made known soon as it's done...so watch that space smiley ur in the same boat with yodiyokun so would post a shot tutorial on cutting necklines, armholes etc a side zip is very possible but I'm wondering how convenient it would be though @ breastfeeding
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:12pm On Aug 01, 2013
Mak'sjoy:

@ Onnari, I'm so sory for d silence, I've bn swamped in work. U kno, sallah season. There's so much 2 do in my shop, everyday, i return home wit headache. (i wish u could advice on dat!). I like d idea of sharing different parts of the dress among tutors. Let me kno which part u want me 2 take, I'll do my best to b available, or else, just let me tag along. I promise 2 b more active in subsequent sew alongs, as long as they don't fall into tailors "season" periods. From the look of things, I'll mak my own after Sallah.

Really? Ok! I actually went home @ noon yestrday as I've been really overworking myself n ignoring my routine rest! @ advice- try t delegate as much as you can n rest as much as u can (time's a luxury for creatives I know :- ) rest is essentiaal cos even though I delegate, I still manage to wrap myself up in work. O! N don't forget pain killers! :-)
Won't let u tag along o! Lol! Would break it up aaand assign. So any one else interested do pls let me know, I know Efosa would be available bless her. Thx guys!

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 8:46pm On Aug 01, 2013
@ Onnari, undecided alryty, tanx. Pain killers! Dats d way i go, i tel u. But rest, cry. I wish we'll get more volunteer tutors, so individual wokload'd b small. However, weldone. U'r doing a good job. I didn't kno abt yr blog b4 now. Pls, furnish me wit details abt it.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 1:54am On Aug 02, 2013
onnari :

I'l make a pre-post for you on the armhole cut/shoulder slant probably by today/tomorrow. So send in ur shoulder,bust,and armhole measurements. If u arnt sure,u can measure out any tops/dresses of urs. N also let me know if ur doing a sleeveless dress or if you doing sleeves.

Thanks onnari. I'm not adding sleeves. Making a dress myself is complicated enough. lol!.

These are my measurements in inches;
Shoulder 18
Bust 35.5 + 1.5 ease
Armhole 18 + 2 ease( I measured around my armpit. Did you mean armhole depth because that would be way smaller than 18 inches) Let me know and I can make adjustments.

I have a few other questions about measurements:

1. Do we need to measure the neckline depth for the back, since this is always not as deep as the front or is there a way to calculate this.
2. Do we need to measure the length of the back ; by this I mean the length from base of neck to waist. I am petite and the length of my shoulder to belly button in the front is longer than the same length in the back. I have a slightly round belly. I want to avoid the zip bunching in the back.
3. I measured my empire about 1.5 inches below the base of my bust - Is this okay?
4. What length of zip should we buy?

I'm so eager to start the process. Lets rock and roll.

Edited to add:
I just saw in the upper post that the measurements should have some ease. I did my circumferences very tight. I have added ease to my original post. Thanks

also I am 5 hours behind you guys so my posts may come in at odd hours of the night naija time.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by ziziponsche(m): 1:10am On Aug 03, 2013
I love this thread.....God bless you all. I am Elazizi. Please note: I am in!

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:51pm On Aug 03, 2013
Glad t have u here elazizi, cool cos ur the first male participant on here!
@yodiyokun- ur measurements r ok n since you aren't doing sleeves n all, I'll just wait till we get to that part of the dress to show the shoulder aand armhole cut.
Ur answers:
1. U definitely need to measure your back neckline depth when making a garment, from shirts to dresses cos you'll require extremely high necklines or plunging... Etc
2. U can measure your back bodice as well though not always necessary.stop at the point where ur navel is positioned (trace it out from ur belly :-)
3. 1.5 inches below ur empire is ok as that'll be the point where the band of the dress begins. U could aalso do 2 inches.
4. The length of zipper should be able to cross over the lower par of the band of the dress. Same applies for a side zip. You could use an invisible,coil or metallic zipper.
No don't add ease when measuring, it's easier this way- take exact measurements(as you would like the fit t be after the dress is completed) and then ease would be added while cutting.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:55pm On Aug 03, 2013
Mak'sjoy:
@ Onnari, undecided alryty, tanx. Pain killers! Dats d way i go, i tel u. But rest, cry. I wish we'll get more volunteer tutors, so individual wokload'd b small. However, weldone. U'r doing a good job. I didn't kno abt yr blog b4 now. Pls, furnish me wit details abt it.

I'l post the schedule tomorrow- haven't drafted it yet. For now it's just 3 volunteers.
The blog is a diy/sewing/style blog: www.thatssewnaija..com although it is going through some restructuring @ d moment, u can still visit :-)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:56pm On Aug 03, 2013
Mak'sjoy:
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 10:32pm On Aug 03, 2013
@onnari & Efosa, when is the work starting? We are already on the 3rd day....I can't wait to wear mine to work.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by 1stLadyRobinho: 6:10am On Aug 04, 2013
Hello.... I am Olabisi, CEO 1stLady Makeover Concept 'n' More...we are using dis medium to introduce one of our beauty products(basically 4 brides to be because they are d center of attraction on their D-day so to say) but we've decided to introduce it to all because all women and ladies deserves 2 be treated as 1stLady.The name of this product is 1stLady Beauty HERBAL SPA SOAP. Action begins 3days!Ingredients are: coconut oil, Osun in it raw form, honey cocoa pods, lemon, shea butter, carrots (not the extracted ones but the natural fruits....this soap repairs your skin, heals stretch marks, lighten ur skin, prevent and takes off pimples just 2 mention few. We also have Herbal whitening Soap ,pls contact us for booking on 07059900676 & 09027671957 or Olabiswemmy029@gmail.com.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:23am On Aug 04, 2013
@ 1st lady in heaven's name st0p derailing this thread.there are 0ther threads 2advertise c0smetics. thanks.
@cheries- we begin n0t later than 2mr0w. And this is the breakd0wn.
0nnari- b0dice (fr0nt and back)
Ef0sa- skirt
maksj0y- j0in b0dice t0 skirt, zip and butt0n installati0n.
s0 get ur t00ls and w0rkspace ready! as i'll p0st anytime 2m0rr0w.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Topsymyyear(m): 7:01am On Aug 04, 2013
Can anyone give me website where I can order for catalogues for english fashion for both sex. Very urgent . I await truly ASAP. Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 1:18pm On Aug 04, 2013
onnari :
@ 1st lady in heaven's name st0p derailing this thread.there are 0ther threads 2advertise c0smetics. thanks.
@cheries- we begin n0t later than 2mr0w. And this is the breakd0wn.
0nnari- b0dice (fr0nt and back)
Ef0sa- skirt
maksj0y- j0in b0dice t0 skirt, zip and butt0n installati0n.
s0 get ur t00ls and w0rkspace ready! as i'll p0st anytime 2m0rr0w.

Bless you Onnari! Can't wait to start. Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by toluh(f): 9:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
I am interested in sewing, but I don't have a sewing machine. Please do you know any sewing machine I can buy.
NB I'm a beginner I don't know anything about sewing machines. thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.