Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148160 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by twingirls: 9:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
Weldone all, I'm stil with you guys, i made  1st gown a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ wore it already, but posting it has been a real challenge, tried so many times a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ failed, ωȊ̝̊̅ℓℓ keep on trying sha!

Wil try getting my material ‎Fø̲̣̣я̅ d yellow gown a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ start 2moro, since I'm less busy right now. So gentleman a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ ladies let's go

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 10:22pm On Aug 04, 2013
onnari :
Moderators front page would b cool o! We need more participants! *grin*
@mod, supported!

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 10:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
toluh: I am interested in sewing, but I don't have a sewing machine. Please do you know any sewing machine I can buy.
NB I'm a beginner I don't know anything about sewing machines. thanks.

Call this guy - 08189956612
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 10:47pm On Aug 04, 2013
twingirls: Weldone all, I'm stil with you guys, i made  1st gown a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ wore it already, but posting it has been a real challenge, tried so many times a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ failed, ωȊ̝̊̅ℓℓ keep on trying sha!

Wil try getting my material ‎Fø̲̣̣я̅ d yellow gown a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ start 2moro, since I'm less busy right now. So gentleman a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ ladies let's go

I havnt even posted my pic of the first dress...shameful I know :-)
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:40pm On Aug 04, 2013
Fantastic,so would take the skirt part after you done with the bodies

toluh: I am interested in sewing, but I don't have a sewing machine. Please do you know any sewing machine I can buy.
NB I'm a beginner I don't know anything about sewing machines. thanks.

You can get at berger Agege mushine and lagos I don't know which area is yours.the regular black head is advisable for you now later you can get the industal types if you desire.the price of the black head sewing machine set is between 16,500-20k depending on the make and the place you get it from while the white head is about 40-50k.hope this is helpful. smiley

2B08881A my pin incase you need futher help on your sewing/machine issues
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 11:04am On Aug 05, 2013
EFOSA VAL: Fantastic,so would take the skirt part after you done with the bodies

You can get at berger Agege mushine and lagos I don't know which area is yours.the regular black head is advisable for you now later you can get the industal types if you desire.the price of the black head sewing machine set is between 16,500-20k depending on the make and the place you get it from while the white head is about 40-50k.hope this is helpful. smiley

2B08881A my pin incase you need futher help on your sewing/machine issues

I think the whole 'black head n white head' description would be confusing t her n the sellers might take advantage of that by thinking she doesn't know what she wants. Just tell 'em u looking for a 'Butterfly' machine. That's the brand of the most popular/widely used domestic machine. U also have an option of using an electric motor so u don't have t pedal if you don't want to.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by kkjoy(f): 12:35pm On Aug 05, 2013
onnari :

I think the whole 'black head n white head' description would be confusing t her n the sellers might take advantage of that by thinking she doesn't know what she wants. Just tell 'em u looking for a 'Butterfly' machine. That's the brand of the most popular/widely used domestic machine. U also have an option of using an electric motor so u don't have t pedal if you don't want to.

i dont agree wit u... Butterfly machine no longer has original in d market.. It tink u will need someone who knws a gud machine to follow u.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2013
it isn b0ut b0ut agreeing with me. ts what it is. u wld b right 2say d@ dere r a l0t 0f fakes in d market n truthfully,Butterfly machines arent made thesedays, the way they used2b years back. thats y i dr0pd a machine dealer's number earlier. call him,he'l advice n guide u 0n what t0 get. a n0vice isnt adviced 2g0 al0ne when buying equipment 0r gadgets n0rmally.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Favourhascome(f): 5:37pm On Aug 05, 2013
Hello pple..must w use plain material..I av nt had time to go get plain material yet but I av a material dts nt plain...
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 5:55pm On Aug 05, 2013
Favourhascome: Hello pple..must w use plain material..I av nt had time to go get plain material yet but I av a material dts nt plain...

Not at all dear,the main thing is that you do the sew along thing wink you can use any fabric as long as its cool and hopefully you can wear it. grin
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2013
Here are the measurements I'm using for this: shoulder- 13", front neckline depth-5'', back neckline depth- 3", armhole- 15", bust- 33",apez - 9", empire- 12" * 28", waistline -26", bodice- 18"*27"
I've written in ink, the markings n measurements although there was an earlier post for the first sew along so if there's a need for a repetition I.e the markings are unclear do let me know.
The first arrow points to the apex
The second points to the empire (underbustthe third points to the bodice
NOTE that I made use of the full length of the bodice for illustration purposes only so that there's no confusion- looking at the dress, the band is actually supposed to stop shortly above the bellybutton so the excess would be cut off later.

#PLZ FORGIVE THE PICTURE QUALITY :-)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:24pm On Aug 05, 2013
...after your markings, you cut out.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2013
And you would have a center piece and two side pieces.
The first piece shows the piece that's cut out @ the middle. See how it looks almost like a triangle? And the second piece is the center piece when opened up.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:37pm On Aug 05, 2013
And then you join the pieces from bottom upwards.
After you're done. Iron out the seams.
(I'm not using underlinning for this dress)
See you on the next post - but if there are questions,feel free to post them,I'll answer as soon as I can.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:03pm On Aug 05, 2013
onnari :

Onnari, cheesy grin grin i said the general black head because in truth all the machines function in the same way.
Gone are the days when we believed in perticular brands coz nor be so again thats why i did not say butterfly.
Because of people who request for certain brands thats why the dealers make sure that they pay extral.

During the free give away promo i had at my fashion school last month i bought over 30 pices and i did not insist on
Butterfly because if you look at the under of those sewing machines you will find out that they are made from the same company
So why should i pay extral for the same thing (ijubu me abi? grin )
Na people way they ship am into our country ,they tell those chinko to put am the names of brands that people who dont know that they function d same ,request for.
So you see.......... wink

And even if you carry person go the market as expert grin wetin the person go do? Other than make your expenses increase.how ?there is no way you will ask anyone to folow you to such a place that you wont need to tip the person...........abi you won tell am brother thank you. grin
And na the same thing them go give you if you go alone or if you go with expert. grin coz them go test am for you there .so why waste ya time....... cheesy

I don hear of people way go with expert and the thing work but when them reach house because the person way they use am nor too sabi
the setting she con think say the machine don spoil,she con carry am go back,so know that useage of the sewing machine matters especially the setting, thats why people say they are fake it may just me minor setting issues that wrong with the machine.

So in all i wish you gook luck.........and also if you want to take expert along too i also wish you the best.

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by simssaly(f): 7:37pm On Aug 05, 2013
*rolls eyes* ok madam tolluh nw knws or sha has a basic idea of what machine 2 buy s0 can we chill on ds machine mata? enuf of the long gist on black heads,butterflies etcetera. phew!
glad fr the first post.wnt 2 begin mine ASAp
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by temithayor: 8:10pm On Aug 05, 2013
HI Onari, good job. I observed that U marked out 4.5" as d gap between d apex which is measuring out d gap btw d two apex, but hw do I determine the bodice gap in which U marked 4" for ur own cutout.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:14pm On Aug 05, 2013
Bodice gap- 2"
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by temithayor: 9:29pm On Aug 05, 2013
HI Onari, good job. I observed that U marked out 4.5" as d gap between d apex which is measuring out d gap btw d two apex. how do I determine the bodice gap in which U marked 4" for ur own cutout.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 10:30pm On Aug 05, 2013
@onnari pls, is this pattern only for the front, or both front and back.
Also the pattern is not well-detailed though the measurements were outlined. For a beginner, how will the cloth be measured i.e the shoulder, armhole, burst, waist, neck before using this pattern
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:56pm On Aug 05, 2013
Hummm silmsally your post won dey enter qurrel o! grin which one you con dey roll eye for? Na wa for you o! Sha go do ya work make we see.lol,we go soon know olodo people during the post.

Anyways great job ladies.........onnari pls which day do I talk about the skirt part? And hope I can answer some questions I see here concerning the bodies.anyways am going to if I don't sleep off...smiley
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:14am On Aug 06, 2013
@ temithayo: in using 4" (folded) you get 8" open right? Now after joining up the pieces the center piece becomes 7". What measurements are you using as waistline?
@cheries: this isn't a pattern but the actual dress(if you've been following the sew along posts you'll notice that we are attempting to make dresses without a pattern),so this you see is the front bodice, I am to show the back in the next post.as for bust,waist etc you mentioned those haven't been cut out yet so when these three pieces are joined together, those parts would be cut out. This method may be different from what you're used to,but rewarding in the end.
@efosa:your skirt post can begin anytime,you don't have to wait so that things can move faster, I do have a full time job so I wouldn't want things to build up:-) and Maksjoy is waitin...
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by yodiyokun(f): 3:43am On Aug 06, 2013
Onnari... Thanks for starting things off. Please like Temitayo, I have no idea how you used your measurements to arrive at the numbers for your cut. How did you calculate?. I'm afraid of cutting the wrong thing.

Also how do you know how wide and long the fold of the fabric should be. How do you know how deep the curve should be? Did you use the shoulder measurement. Did you add seam allowance?

I'm sorry if my questions are many, but its to avoid any mistake
Thanks

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by cheries: 5:54am On Aug 06, 2013
Please like Temitayo, I have no idea how you used your measurements to arrive at the numbers for your cut. How did you calculate?. I'm afraid of cutting the wrong thing.

Also how do you know how wide and long the fold of the fabric should be. How do you know how deep the curve should be? Did you use the shoulder measurement. Did you add seam allowance?
[/quote]

@onnari, this is exactly the question that i want to ask.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:14am On Aug 06, 2013
Sory bout that, I didn't go through that because I'd gone through it earlier. And don't apologise for asking questions-that's what this whole experience is about - learning/sharing.
1. Take your bust measurement-in this case 33".
2. Divide by 2 - making 16.5"
3. Add seam allowance(in this case 1.5" on both sides making 3" right?)
4. Add bodice gap (u know the cut that's shaped like a triangle?) That's 2" when folded so we make an allowance of 4".
5. Add them up: 16.5+3+4 = 23.5
And that's the width of the fabric before folding so you then begin your markings.you can add 2 extra inches to this so u have extra when cutting out your armholes cos ur joining the seams together which is about 2" assuming you using half an inch to join the princess curve.
You could try this out on paper or underlining so you master it first. When understood and used repeatedly you'll be amazed how easy and flexible it is. You can also use it while cutting dresses,jackets,...etc
Note that I didn't use shoulder measurements yet, later today I'l be making a post about cutting the shoulder,armhole etc and after that post, we cut the back bodice.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by Maksjoy: 8:12am On Aug 06, 2013
[quote author=onnari ]And you would have a middle piece and two center pieces.

Do u mean a middle piece and two side pieces?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:16am On Aug 06, 2013
Sorry-was posting on the road.
You get 1 Center piece and 2 Side pieces.

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 11:49am On Aug 06, 2013
@onnari/efosa,plenty hugs for starting it off despite ur very busy schedules.its good to know we back on track.
sooo let me get dis str8...from d pieces above,we jus cut d front piece wtout initially markin out d neckline,armhole and side seam? no?
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 12:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
jadareese: @onnari/efosa,plenty hugs for starting it off despite ur very busy schedules.its good to know we back on track.
sooo let me get dis str8...from d pieces above,we jus cut d front piece wtout initially markin out d neckline,armhole and side seam? no?

Yes....
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by wizb: 12:49pm On Aug 06, 2013
@Onnari, I want to put d zipper by the side, will d 1.5 inch seam allowance be ok? Thanks
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:28pm On Aug 06, 2013
@wizb it doesn't change anything.u just install ur zipper in ur seam allowance
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by simssaly(f): 2:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
@ef0saval- i'm not here 2 quarell but to enjoy ths sew along. I dont knw what it is wth u,u just seem to be really forward.hav u been nominated class prefect or sumn? Chillax ds is meant to b a fun thingy even tho it's obvious u here mostly to recruit students fr ur school. It shldn always b bout wts beneficial bizness wise.onnari doz thz things t help as u can see frm all her threads and blog.
*my 2 cents*
All ds c0s 0f a machine-i hate 2 argue on s0cial media n jst j0ined nairaland cs 0f d sew al0ng as i stated earlier.later guys.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.