Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,792 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER (148239 Views)

Looking For Styles To Sew Check In Here / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:04am On May 31, 2013
The under-skirt area. And the belt cheesy

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:08am On May 31, 2013
Hopefully i will do the actual sewing soon so you see the finished work.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 11:24pm On May 31, 2013
*phew* finally done!!! (Note to myself..never work wt voluminous gathers!!). Will upload 2moro abeg.make nobody laugh me sha
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:04am On Jun 01, 2013
@efosa nice work!
@jadareese- can't wait to see and why on earth would anyone laugh?
Me...been so busy with work and havnt finished mine. However,I'm uploading some wrap dresses I made in the past, the last two were made far back in 2008
I should do my sew-along post by next weekend hopefully!

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 8:08am On Jun 01, 2013
And this..

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 1:48pm On Jun 01, 2013
Ok. Here it is.my challenge now is dt d front is looking too bulky due to d underlinnings (i think!). How do i go abt amending dat @onnari and @ efosa val?

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:28pm On Jun 01, 2013
@ jadareese- underlining alone can't make ur dress bulky especially as this dress requires a full skirt. though the photo isn't clear enuff to really c, I'l say take it in @ the sides to reduce bulk, and iron out. Iron out your main dress and underlining from top to bottom. If u havnt got a steam iron, always sprinkle water and then iron. The difference is very noticeable
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 7:11pm On Jun 01, 2013
Ok. Will iron it out now cos d sides r fit already.can't wait to rock it already!! BTW, thx for accepting @ onnari
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 6:49am On Jun 02, 2013
Cool! N don't forget to post those photos when u rock urs, I plan to compile some participant photos and post. I love ur dress!

1 Like

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:02pm On Jun 02, 2013
jadareese: Ok. Here it is.my challenge now is dt d front is looking too bulky due to d underlinnings (i think!). How do i go abt amending dat @onnari and @ efosa val?

onnari :
@ jadareese- underlinning can't make ur dress bulky, though the photo isn't clear enuff to really c, I'l say take it in @ the sides to reduce bulk, and iron out. If u havnt got a steam iron, always sprinkle water and then iron. The difference is very noticeable
jadareese: Ok. Will iron it out now cos d sides r fit already.can't wait to rock it already!! BTW, thx for accepting @ onnari

Ok, another way to go about this is to not cut out the underlining the same legnth as the under skirt area, this way you dont need to garther the under lining as you would on the waist line of the underskirt ,thus you would reduce the volume on the finnished outfit.

Also, on the wraped dress before you finish making the dress,identify which part you want on top when you tie it,then make sure that the one under is not with garthers,this way you would reduce bulk at the end.

cheesy cheesy hope this tips are helpful dear. wink

3 Likes

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 1:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
EFOSA VAL:

Ok, another way to go about this is to not cut out the underlining the same legnth as the under skirt area, this way you dont need to garther the under lining as you would on the waist line of the underskirt ,thus you would reduce the volume on the finnished outfit.

Also, on the wraped dress before you finish making the dress,identify which part you want on top when you tie it,then make sure that the one under is not with garthers,this way you would reduce bulk at the end.

cheesy cheesy hope this tips are helpful dear. wink

Normally, underlining shouldn't be cut same length as the actual garment. And for Jada not to apply gathers at all, she would only have to cut her underlining in an a-line silhouette or flare. If she however wants to cut her underlining 'straight' she would hav to make some scanty pleats or gathers on it for it to seat well.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by twingirls: 6:39pm On Jun 04, 2013
I'm new here, hope I'm welcome

Onnari this is real ‎∙̣̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̣̣̇̇̇G∙̣̣̣̇̇̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̇∙∙̣̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̣̣̇̇̇O∙̣̣̣̇̇̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̇∙∙̣̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̣̣̇̇̇O∙̣̣̣̇̇̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̇∙∙̣̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̣̣̇̇̇D∙̣̣̣̇̇̇∙̣̣̇̇∙̣̇∙! Thumb up, i Ĵüڪ† graduated from a fashion sch a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ i believe i wil learn as well as teach, U̶̲̥̅̊ guys are far gone, i guess ill wait til ϔ☺ΰя̩̥̊ next project a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ then key in.

Looking foward to starting
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 9:21pm On Jun 04, 2013
@twingirls, and we meet again... U r sooo very welcome dear. Ђǿw body?its nice knowing we hav one more expert on dis thread*winks* for newbies like us. As regards dis project, we r ₪Ö̤̣̇τ̩̩ S̶̲̥̅☺ far gone if u want τ̅☺ take Ȋ̝̊̅†̥ up.we r stil expectin more posts on various works in progress and u can easily catch up seeing D̶̲̥̅̊A̶̲̅τ̲̅ its ₪Ö̤̣̇τ̩̩ new τ̅☺ u.S̶̲̥̅☺ hop on along dear..@onnari and @efosa val,thx for d tip,regards mine..Ȋ̝̊̅†̥ wasn't S̶̲̥̅☺ bad after ironing.♍γ̲̣̣̥ critic @ home jus felt Ȋ̝̊̅†̥ was bulky seein all d underworks.. grin
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:54am On Jun 05, 2013
@twingirls u could still join in if you want to, it's only a matter of posting photos of you dress at chosen intervals and of course the finished work. I'm not yet done with mine as I took a trip and hope to do so when I return.
O! N u welcome here!
@jada nice, n u still owing us a clearer pic for us to drool over smiley
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by twingirls: 5:48pm On Jun 05, 2013
Jadareese, ‎​Ɣε̲̣̣̣̥§ we meet again, tanks ‎Fø̲̣̣я̅ d encouragement, ωȊ̝̊̅ℓℓ start asap! I so love dis thread, ill get d kick i need

Onnari, I'm I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ o, hope d dress wil fit me, ill Ĵüڪ† make it ‎Fø̲̣̣я̅ a wedding holding soon, been thinking of wat to make with it, I'm burst 38, waist 35.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 9:23pm On Jun 05, 2013
hi onari,i did cut my fabric today will post pictures later.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by twingirls: 9:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
All, i cut my fabrics yesterday, was so busy 2day i cldnt post, wil upload 2mao by God's grace
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:02am On Jun 07, 2013
Hey ladies here is a quick reminder to those that are interested cheesy

The valisimo promo is on now ,and people are already benefiting from it
Just pay your school fees in full and get a bonous machine on it .its that simple
Dont be left our dear,this promo wont last for ever wink

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by twingirls: 6:43pm On Jun 09, 2013
All, can somebody teach me how to upload? Been trying to no avail. Tanks as  await ϔ☺ΰя̩̥̊ directions
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2013
Be sure ur totl upload size is less dn 200kb, then click 'choose', browse to the pic location on ur hard drive or phone, when you done, hit submit but don't leave the message body empty
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by jadareese: 6:21pm On Jun 10, 2013
Resize d pics τ̅☺ a much lower bit size then click on "browse" τ̅☺ select d pics from ur memory device.once uploaded, click submit
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by twingirls: 2:22pm On Jun 11, 2013
Onarri a̶̲̥̅̊₪d̶̲̥̅̊ Jadareese lots of tanks ωȊ̝̊̅ℓℓ try now
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 9:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
finished sewing my gown tonite will post pictures
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by zaliya(f): 9:55pm On Jun 12, 2013
what's happening to this thread?
Onnari, Efosa Val pls where re U?
Been waiting for more details on the tutorials.Thank you and ride on!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 9:57pm On Jun 12, 2013
my fabrics

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 11:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
dont know how to reduce my pictures to 200kb oooo so i cant upload pls who can put me through
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:26am On Jun 13, 2013
@ zaliya: aww! Sry dear- took a trip so's y I havnt been able to do my posts. Wld do so soonest!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 9:28am On Jun 13, 2013
oduamine: dont know how to reduce my pictures to 200kb oooo so i cant upload pls who can put me through

U cld mail 'em to me thatssewnaija@gmail.com so I can resize 'em for u n resend for u to post.
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:52am On Jun 13, 2013
zaliya: what's happening to this thread?
Onnari, Efosa Val pls where re U?
Been waiting for more details on the tutorials.Thank you and ride on!

Chai my dear,we have back slide since abi? cheesy grin wink grin
So sorry dear,i belive it will get better soon.

Infact Onnari dear,please can we have other items to vote for so that we dont loose our followers here.
Its just a suggestions o, [s]i acually feel bad suggesting this knowing that i never send my post since [/s] but i dont want this thread to cool down even if many people cant post their works. sad

Hope you guys feel me. cheesy grin
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by onnari(f): 2:54pm On Jun 13, 2013
@ efosaval- Of course!d@s d essence of the thread. But we however can't begin voting n selecting other pieces when the present one is still in progress and participants r no where to be found :-) so when we conclude the execution of the Sika dress,there'l be another n another by His grace!
Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by oduamine: 10:30am On Jun 15, 2013
this is my fabrics

Re: A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER by graceucthei: 11:07am On Jun 15, 2013
onnari :
I'm so excited to announce this Sew Along exercise coming up soon!

First of all, A Sew-Along is a long - distance meet-up for sewing. Irrespective of location,we all make an outfit together and best thing is, it's freeee!

HOW:
1. A piece would be chosen after being generally agreed upon i.e. we might have to use a majority vote type of thing.

2. Fabrics and necessary notions would be specified

3. A detailed schedule would be published for easy reference

4. Posts would be brief to avoid overloads

5 Photos/links of participants’ fabrics as well as work –in-process and finished projects would be published

6 Myself as well other participants would be on hand to assist whoever gets ‘stuck’

WHEN:
A date hasn’t been fixed as this would also be generally agreed upon, however as soon as entries have been organized, the date would be announced a week before.

WHERE:
Wherever you choose! As it would be an online meet up.

WHAT:
So far I’ve gotten requests for Ankara dresses and skirts, so if you have a particular piece in mind, fell free to drop
a line/photo as we aren’t using a pattern (buying or mailing patterns here in Naija isn’t a walk in the park!) So go through your favourite designers ( Jewel By Lisa has been brought up more than once), and mail me your requests so we can reach a conclusion!

As you already know, a photograph would need to be posted of our intended project.

Email
: thatssewnaija@gmail.com

WHO:
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced ‘sewers’ – whether you sew for a living or just for fun, you’re welcome, this is just a fun experience and an opportunity to learn from each other.

Further info would be communicated to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Lingerie! A Must Have! / Sonam Kapoor Style Diva / Black Women Rocking Their Natural Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.