Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,064 members, 7,838,699 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Post Swear words from your language here - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Post Swear words from your language here (9796 Views)

Represent Your LOCAL LANGUAGE Here!!! / Speak Your Language Here / Be Proud To Speak Hausa Language Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 6:53pm On May 03, 2013
Berber comes from the Arabic word Al Barbar (البربر), which comes from the onomatopoeia Bar-Bar (see also βάρβαρος), used by Greeks as Bla-Bla to describe other languages. Bar-Bar was adopted by the Arabic speakers to refer to the original inhabitants of North Africa, west and south of Egypt[1] as a non civilized population. The word 'Berber' is itself related to the older word Barbaroi, which is used in the document Periplus Maris Erythaie (Periplus of the Red Sea), a document written in Greek in the middle of the first century A.D. This document indicates that the Barbaroi, meaning the inhabitants of northern Somali coast, were trading with the Ancient Egyptians, Romans and inhabitants of Pre-Islamic Arabia.[2] It also gives the names of some of the ports like Berbera. Nowadays the word Berber is used to refer to the Amazigh. Historically the term was applied by ancient Greek and medieval Arab geographers to the original inhabitants of Somalia.

Somali history is so amazing.
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 03, 2013
I give up good luck pagan9ja
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 6:55pm On May 03, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I give up good luck pagan9ja

i would never engage in this if i knew i was not gonna come out on top grin

simply put i know my history through and through

i have out trolled more people for longer time than you think
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 6:56pm On May 03, 2013
care to give up

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:59pm On May 03, 2013
somalia5: Berber comes from the Arabic word Al Barbar (البربر), which comes from the onomatopoeia Bar-Bar (see also βάρβαρος), used by Greeks as Bla-Bla to describe other languages. Bar-Bar was adopted by the Arabic speakers to refer to the original inhabitants of North Africa, west and south of Egypt[1] as a non civilized population. The word 'Berber' is itself related to the older word Barbaroi, which is used in the document Periplus Maris Erythaie (Periplus of the Red Sea), a document written in Greek in the middle of the first century A.D. This document indicates that the Barbaroi, meaning the inhabitants of northern Somali coast, were trading with the Ancient Egyptians, Romans and inhabitants of Pre-Islamic Arabia.[2] It also gives the names of some of the ports like Berbera. Nowadays the word Berber is used to refer to the Amazigh. Historically the term was applied by ancient Greek and medieval Arab geographers to the original inhabitants of Somalia.

Somali history is so amazing.

that is impossible. SHOW ME THE LINK!
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03pm On May 03, 2013
there is no mention of it anywehere in Somali history. Berber is derived from the Barbary coast and the Maghreb. Somalia has NOTHING to do with the Maghreb. NOTHING. you fellows dont even knowwhat Maghreb is. Somalia is so far from there.
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 7:03pm On May 03, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

that is impossible. SHOW ME THE LINK!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:05pm On May 03, 2013
I KNEW IT! I JUST KNEW IT!

That is a unverified WIkipedia article, you dumb sh!.t. it is not the main Berber page. it is written by a layman/commoner.

that too some idiot added that last line as an afterthough to the paragraph,, without any explanation. *smh

lol , do you have any other proper verifiable sources. grin
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 7:06pm On May 03, 2013
more evidence, somalis being called berber

their is even a city call berbera in northern somalia.

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 7:06pm On May 03, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I KNEW IT! I JUST KNEW IT!

That is a unverified WIkipedia article, you dumb sh!.t. it is not the main Berber page. it is written by a layman/commoner.

lol , do you have any other proper verifiable sources. grin

hahahahaha loooool

http://www.taneter.org/berbers.html

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 7:08pm On May 03, 2013
more evidence my friend

somalis being refered to as berbers

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 7:11pm On May 03, 2013
Like i said, i know my history more than you, i dont start going down a path unless i know what down that road grin

best thing is, i have taught you guys about my history, all the while i was having fun and degrading you on a forum that is yours, and to a larger audience on somalinet grin

this thread is so good i am gonna even post it on ethiopian forum
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:19pm On May 03, 2013
somalia5: more evidence, somalis being called berber

their is even a city call berbera in northern somalia.

Ibn Batutah himself is Berber. he had Berber contacts as far as India. ahahahahaha did you read the whole article??!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Medieval Muslim writers originally used "Al-Barbar" (variants of English transliterations include: Berber, Berberi, Berbera, Barbara, Barbari, etc.), when referring to the non-Arabic speaking Muslims in Africa--not only in Northwest Africa, but in East and Central Africa as well. For example, Ibn Battuta (1304-1368 AD), an Arabic-speaking Muslim traveler and writer, frequently used variations of the term during his travels in East and Central Africa. Upon visiting the Somalian city of Zaila or Zeila, which lies just east of a city aptly named Berbera, Battuta said:

Battuta also referred to the non-Arabic speaking Muslim leaders as Berbers while in Takadda, a city in Eastern Mali :

"...the qadi Abu Ibrahim and preacher Muhammed and the teacher Abu Hafs and the shaikh Sa'id ibn Ali set out to call upon the sultan of Takadda who was a Berber named Izar. A dispute had occurred between him and the Takarkuri who is also a sultan of the Berbers..."

Sultan of Sennar (c. 1821 AD), who reigned at the same time Pasha referred to Sennar as Berber

Even as late as the 19th century, we see that Turkish and Arab Muslims continued using "Berber" (or variants) to refer to people in areas outside Northwest Africa. In his Narrative of the expedition to Dongola and Sennar, Mehemmed ali Pasha, Turkish (Albanian ancestry) military leader of Egypt (1805-1848 AD) referred to Sennar or the Islamic kingdom south of Ottoman Egypt as Berber (there is even a city named Berber in Central Sudan):

It was actually Europeans who made the term "Berber" synonymous with Northwest Africa.

^^^^^^ THIS PROVES IT. YOU ARE NOT DESCENDED FROM THE AMAZIGH! THE PEOPLE OF NORTH-WEST AFRICA, i.e., TODAYS "BERBERS"

The Arabs called any non-Arab as Berbers, including SOmalis , Egyptians, BANTUS, Malians, Songhays, BAMBARA, - these so-called NEGROIDS , etc. .
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:20pm On May 03, 2013
[size=32pt]LOOL EVEN IBN BATUTAH, AN AMAZIGH BERBER, REFERRED TO YOU SOMALIS AS BLACK NEGROIDS ! LMAOOOOOOOOOOO![/size] grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by otumfour(m): 7:26pm On May 03, 2013
how this somali lizard thinks looks make them better juz beats me....... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by pleep(m): 2:38am On May 04, 2013
http://books.google.com/books?id=Xuq7QCmY6jQC&pg=PR9

Did you read that link? the chinese called east africans "the worst of barbaians and the ugliest of all slaves" lol

damn.. that was raw.
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by pleep(m): 2:44am On May 04, 2013
There is yellow chinese semen flowing though your veins. grin
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:01am On May 04, 2013
pleep: There is yellow chinese semen flowing though your veins. grin

actually there is. im dead serious.

THe other day I was watching a documentary of the famous Chinese Explorer Zheng He. Apparently on his return from MEcca, his ship got grounded in Somalia. So many of his fellow Chinese sailors were forced to stay back. There they enslaved/married SOmali women. Their descendants still live in a part of Somalia. THey have certain characteristics, like slanting yes, and some old Ming Dynasty heirlooms (small blue and white porcelain cups), and near their homes are graves of their Chinese ancestors , with Ming style carvings and porcelain embedding.

1 Like

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 12:28pm On May 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=32pt]LOOL EVEN IBN BATUTAH, AN AMAZIGH BERBER, REFERRED TO YOU SOMALIS AS BLACK NEGROIDS ! LMAOOOOOOOOOOO![/size] grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

they were refering to skin color, ofcourse loooool as somalis were the only ones trading with the arabs and turks and persians who were darker skinned than those people
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 12:31pm On May 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

actually there is. im dead serious.

THe other day I was watching a documentary of the famous Chinese Explorer Zheng He. Apparently on his return from MEcca, his ship got grounded in Somalia. So many of his fellow Chinese sailors were forced to stay back. There they enslaved/married SOmali women. Their descendants still live in a part of Somalia. THey have certain characteristics, like slanting yes, and some old Ming Dynasty heirlooms (small blue and white porcelain cups), and near their homes are graves of their Chinese ancestors , with Ming style carvings and porcelain embedding.

Really, lol. You should read more history as those people who are light skin who are mixed with arabs and persians in somailia are called reer xaamaar and reer barawe they have been excluded from the somali clan systems and are essentially second class citizens........

your theory is silly as somalis had empires in that area that were allied with the arabs and turks, how can anyone enslave somalis, especially when somalis had the largest and most ships in the arab world. lol

hahahahaha i know my history.....you cant fool me

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 12:34pm On May 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Ibn Batutah himself is Berber. he had Berber contacts as far as India. ahahahahaha did you read the whole article??!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Medieval Muslim writers originally used "Al-Barbar" (variants of English transliterations include: Berber, Berberi, Berbera, Barbara, Barbari, etc.), when referring to the non-Arabic speaking Muslims in Africa--not only in Northwest Africa, but in East and Central Africa as well. For example, Ibn Battuta (1304-1368 AD), an Arabic-speaking Muslim traveler and writer, frequently used variations of the term during his travels in East and Central Africa. Upon visiting the Somalian city of Zaila or Zeila, which lies just east of a city aptly named Berbera, Battuta said:

Battuta also referred to the non-Arabic speaking Muslim leaders as Berbers while in Takadda, a city in Eastern Mali :

"...the qadi Abu Ibrahim and preacher Muhammed and the teacher Abu Hafs and the shaikh Sa'id ibn Ali set out to call upon the sultan of Takadda who was a Berber named Izar. A dispute had occurred between him and the Takarkuri who is also a sultan of the Berbers..."

Sultan of Sennar (c. 1821 AD), who reigned at the same time Pasha referred to Sennar as Berber

Even as late as the 19th century, we see that Turkish and Arab Muslims continued using "Berber" (or variants) to refer to people in areas outside Northwest Africa. In his Narrative of the expedition to Dongola and Sennar, Mehemmed ali Pasha, Turkish (Albanian ancestry) military leader of Egypt (1805-1848 AD) referred to Sennar or the Islamic kingdom south of Ottoman Egypt as Berber (there is even a city named Berber in Central Sudan):

It was actually Europeans who made the term "Berber" synonymous with Northwest Africa.

^^^^^^ THIS PROVES IT. YOU ARE NOT DESCENDED FROM THE AMAZIGH! THE PEOPLE OF NORTH-WEST AFRICA, i.e., TODAYS "BERBERS"

The Arabs called any non-Arab as Berbers, including SOmalis , Egyptians, BANTUS, Malians, Songhays, BAMBARA, - these so-called NEGROIDS , etc. .

negroids were never called berbers as they were called abeed, and bantu......

and i didnt say we were decended from berbers....but they came from us........they speak afroasiatic langauge and have much of our dna

berber was the name called by somalis, there is a big trading port called berbera
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:04pm On May 04, 2013
somalia5:

they were refering to skin color, ofcourse loooool as somalis were the only ones trading with the arabs and turks and persians who were darker skinned than those people

LMAO! what do SOmalis have to trade with? all you have is sand, camels bananas and QAT. THe Arabs were already trading with the great Empires of Mali, Timmbuctoo, etc., for Gold, IVory,etc.

somalia5:

Really, lol. You should read more history as those people who are light skin who are mixed with arabs and persians in somailia are called reer xaamaar and reer barawe they have been excluded from the somali clan systems and are essentially second class citizens........

your theory is silly as somalis had empires in that area that were allied with the arabs and turks, how can anyone enslave somalis, especially when somalis had the largest and most ships in the arab world. lol

hahahahaha i know my history.....you cant fool me

I swear by my Gods, I did not make that up. I saw it in a documentary (wither HIstory Channel or Nat Geo.). it was tracing the route of Zheng He.

even now if you go to SOmalia, you can ask around d meet their descendants.
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:08pm On May 04, 2013
somalia5:

negroids were never called berbers as they were called abeed, and bantu......

and i didnt say we were decended from berbers....but they came from us........they speak afroasiatic langauge and have much of our dna

berber was the name called by somalis, there is a big trading port called berbera

you dumba$$ I just showed you proof from Ibn Batutahs account when he was visiting the Mali Empire. Bantus are onlyy people of Kenya , Tanzania and East Africa.

A Berber cannot come from you! The Berbers of before are different from the Berbers of today. The people of North West Africa are Amazigh Berbers. they have nothing to do with you. If you went there, they would make you a slave and sell you off in Timbuctoo. lol grin
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 04, 2013
this thread has been derailed to boot.

smh. and fyi both of you are wrong...
but i will shut my mouth as i have nada to do with this convo... tongue
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by pleep(m): 9:50pm On May 04, 2013
Welcome kalis, somalia defender!

1 Like

Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 4:32am On May 05, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

LMAO! what do SOmalis have to trade with? all you have is sand, camels bananas and QAT. THe Arabs were already trading with the great Empires of Mali, Timmbuctoo, etc., for Gold, IVory,etc.

I swear by my Gods, I did not make that up. I saw it in a documentary (wither HIstory Channel or Nat Geo.). it was tracing the route of Zheng He.

even now if you go to SOmalia, you can ask around d meet their descendants.

I guess this guy doesnt know somalis and arabs were trading negroid slaves..........
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:22am On May 05, 2013
somalia5:

I guess this guy doesnt know somalis and arabs were trading negroid slaves..........

hardly. maybe you were middle-men for a bit. but there was hardly any trade coming out from you. you were only dealing in camels.
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 7:38pm On May 05, 2013
The Somali and Afar Muslim sultanates, such as the Adal Sultanate, exported slaves as well.[72] Arabs also set up slave-trading posts along the southeastern coast of the Indian Ocean, most notably in the archipelago of Zanzibar, along the coast of present-day Tanzania. East Africa and the Indian Ocean continued as an important region for the Oriental slave trade up until the 19th century.

Somalia has a long history of cultural, religious, and trade ties with the Arabs of the Arabian Peninsula, which lies across the Gulf of Aden. Although Somalis ethnically are not Arabs, they identify more with Arabs than with their fellow Africans. Thus it was not surprising when Somalia joined the League of Arab States (Arab League) in 1974, becoming the first non-Arab member of that organization.
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by Rgp92: 7:40pm On May 05, 2013
Haha, somali werent trading "Negroids", "Negroids" were trading somali for something more useful...
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by somalia5: 7:42pm On May 05, 2013
Rgp92: Haha, somali werent trading "Negroids", "Negroids" were trading somali for something more useful...

lol......negroids trading somalis? lol

you should know slavery in somalia of negroids ended 1930's by the italians.....if it were not for the italians negroids would be picking crops still to this day.
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by Bazil(m): 3:24am On May 06, 2013
Man somali5 i guess trolling comes naturally to you, this is so far removed from the original thread .
Re: Post Swear words from your language here by pleep(m): 4:38am On May 06, 2013
somalia5:

lol......negroids trading somalis? lol

you should know slavery in somalia of negroids ended 1930's by the italians.....if it were not for the italians negroids would be picking crops still to this day.
what crops?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chinedu Felix Osuchukwu Appointed ASO Cultural Ambassador (Photos) / Sayyid Muhammad Abdullah Hassan - Today And Yesteryear / What Is Agwù In Igbo Tradition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.