Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,374 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot (25947 Views)

Eulogies As Chinyere Asika Is Buried / (photo) Tragic Story Of Captian Hadiza Oboh,airways First And Only Female Pilot. / Nigeria's First Female Governor Elected In Taraba State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by manny4life(m): 4:46pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

Yes she is the first female pilot, it's a great milestone, I applaud that.

Yes women can be as qualified as men but in times of crises and making split seconds decision, it would come down to the personal attributes of either a man or a woman.

Maybe disembarking is a bit of an exaggeration, but i would much prefer if the captain is a man, but if its a woman then fine.

Seriously ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOx5Knk6S9I

I'm an Aviation enthusiast, go through that movie, two out of 10 of them were flown by a woman, you tell me which is it. Women are trained to the same level as their male to react - personal attributes and experience usually count. A woman who's well experienced and won't allow fear grip her won't perform the same way like a man.

Hint - One of them was a B747 Aircraft, so go figure.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by 50calibre(m): 6:59pm On May 01, 2013
manny4life:

Seriously ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOx5Knk6S9I

I'm an Aviation enthusiast, go through that movie, two out of 10 of them were flown by a woman, you tell me which is it. Women are trained to the same level as their male to react - personal attributes and experience usually count. A woman who's well experienced and won't allow fear grip her won't perform the same way like a man.

Hint - One of them was a B747 Aircraft, so go figure.

Ok from how you said it, I assume its between numbers 3, 6, 7, 8. They seemed to be the best landings. But here they only had winds to contend with, no specific technical issues with the aircraft itself.

Now allow me to counter you with my own examples

- US airways that crashed in the Hudson River after a bird strike in 2009

- Boeing 737 that had part of its fuselage blow of off mid air due to decompression but still managed to land in Hawaii in 1988

- Quantas Airbus A380 ( super jumbo jet) that had an engine blow up mid air but still managed to land at Sydney in 2010.

- British airways Boeing 777 that had complete engine failure, all engines shut down but still managed to land at heathrow airport in 2008. ( feel free to check them out in YouTube if you wish)

All these were male pilots, so you see that men are just as capable as women when it comes to heroics or even more capable.

So I comes down to my question - why are there more male pilots than female, are all the airlines in the world stu*pid?

1 Like

Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Fidtad: 7:16pm On May 01, 2013
Basic:
Don't mind the ignorant chap. This is why we should attend good schools.
it is not all about school but current affairs. U dumb.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 01, 2013
Fidtad: She is not d first female pilot. D 1st was murdered by her house help 6 to 7yrs ago though she is an igbo too.
Hadiza Oboh wasn't d 1st female pilot but she was rather d 1st n only female pilot of d defunct Nigerian Airways
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by odumchi: 10:19pm On May 01, 2013
nnenna.1:

Kalu also seems to be a popular surname in Abia.

Only Abians answer Kalu.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Abagworo(m): 10:25pm On May 01, 2013
nnenna.1:
Please take easy with the tribalism.

Interesting story....especially as she started out in a different and conventional career path.

Kalu also seems to be a popular surname in Abia.

Does it exist in any other States? I know of Kanu and Kamalu though.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 01, 2013
Kudos!
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by IGBOSON1: 10:54pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

There is nothing wrong with a woman being a pilot, I just prefer she is next in command to a man rather than being the one in control. Call it ignorant if you want but it's just something Im not a 100% comfortable with and if you think that's sexist, then look at the major airlines around the world, you would see a pattern.

^^^I tend to look at the whole 'Female Pilot' thing from another angle. You do know that the Air-Pilot career is male dominated don't you?; so working from this premise, we can assume that she put in a bit more effort to be where she is today (ie- her abilities had to be at least equal to or even better than that of her male colleagues); and this would mean that if you're looking for any Pilot to doubt their capabilities in carrying out their job (whatever that may entail), she should be one of the last people to bother about.

It's kinda like with the situation of a black President beating his white competitors at the polls in a country that's majority white (with a sizeable number of racist rednecks thrown into the mix).....you would expect that he would have had to be twice as good as his white competitors to stand a chance; and he would have been confident and sure of himself before coming forward to contest .
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by IGBOSON1: 11:03pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

Ok from how you said it, I assume its between numbers 3, 6, 7, 8. They seemed to be the best landings. But here they only had winds to contend with, no specific technical issues with the aircraft itself.

- Boeing 737 that had part of its fuselage blow of off mid air due to decompression but still managed to land in Hawaii in 1988

- Quantas Airbus A380 ( super jumbo jet) that had an engine blow up mid air but still managed to land at Sydney in 2010.

- British airways Boeing 777 that had complete engine failure, all engines shut down but still managed to land at heathrow airport in 2008. ( feel free to check them out in YouTube if you wish)

All these were male pilots, so you see that men are just as capable as women when it comes to heroics or even more capable.

So I comes down to my question - why are there more male pilots than female, are all the airlines in the world stu*pid?

^^^On the bolded question......there's a hint to the answer you're looking for in this video smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juTeHsKPWhY
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Fermosky: 11:25pm On May 01, 2013
Fidtad: She is not d first female pilot. D 1st was murdered by her house help 6 to 7yrs ago though she is an igbo too.
read news very well, you've been listening to tales by moon light. Anyway, i have the opportunity of seeing her almost every sunday in church with her husband Elder Kalu, the Elder with the longest sermon record.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by shizzlin: 12:05am On May 02, 2013
[quote][/quote]
None of her kids
have decided to be a pilot

Nah! Her son is currently in flying school smiley
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by manny4life(m): 12:33am On May 02, 2013
50calibre:

So you assumed that because they were "best landings", or perhaps, to u, it looked "SIMPLE" then it's women, like seriously? And for you to say that they only contend with winds, like are you kidding me? The first of second video, did u see how the airplane "BOUNCED" a few times? If you think landing a one million pound aircraft in heavy crosswind can be compared a lighter aircraft like that of the Hudson River losing both engines, you really have something else coming for you. If you think technical expertise doesn't apply

Let's not forget to add this, the top 25 deadliest air accidents where men piloting the aircraft, including the famous Teneirfe Accident that involved two B747's (casualty almost all) were both male pilots. This remains the "DEADLIEST" accident in the history of global aviation.

Nonetheless, my argument wasn't about their heroics, but was only setting the record straight that women can perform just as their male counterparts do. Flying is all about experience and fair judgement, split seconds can make you a hero or turn u to dust. I do not see why you think men perform ANY special thing in the cockpit. Heck the ratio of men to women pilots is like 7:3 or 8:2, but the ratio of accidents involving men vs women is like 9.5:0.5, I wish FAA and any other agency has such record.

One of the major reason why airlines hire more men than women is because men are more "FLEXIBLE" than women, not to say the experience isn't there. Airlines around the U.S. hire more women per hundred pilots than any other country. Not many women can spend their time traveling, or staying in different cities, or sharing spaces with others. It's the same reason why women do not serve in combat roles in the U.S. Military. It's not because of experience, but other compositional factors.

Here's an excerpt culled from an article

Angela Masson, a retired American Airlines captain who heads the group, said it shouldn't be very surprising that women don't flock to a stressful male-dominated job that requires lots of expensive and continuous training, takes them away from home for large chunks of time and makes it difficult to raise a family. "I suppose if the job were just concerned with flying, there would be a lot more women," Masson said.

"But the job isn't just flying, it's wrapped up in a whole lot of other unappealing circumstances, unappealing especially to women who may not have the drive, ambition, financial means or the family/network support to pursue flying as a career.

"Flying has to be something that you really, really want, because even gender issues aside, it's a very challenging and demanding career."
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by 50calibre(m): 12:35am On May 02, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I tend to look at the whole 'Female Pilot' thing from another angle. You do know that the Air-Pilot career is male dominated don't you?; so working from this premise, we can assume that she put in a bit more effort to be where she is today (ie- her abilities had to be at least equal to or even better than that of her male colleagues); and this would mean that if you're looking for any Pilot to doubt their capabilities in carrying out their job (whatever that may entail), she should be one of the last people to bother about.

It's kinda like with the situation of a black President beating his white competitors at the polls in a country that's majority white (with a sizeable number of racist rednecks thrown into the mix).....you would expect that he would have had to be twice as good as his white competitors to stand a chance; and he would have been confident and sure of himself before coming forward to contest .

I do agree with you on this. Rising to that level from a disadvantaged female position, does indicate a higher effort and discipline put into training than her male counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by 50calibre(m): 1:00am On May 02, 2013
manny4life:

So you assumed that because they were "best landings", or perhaps, to u, it looked "SIMPLE" then it's women, like seriously? And for you to say that they only contend with winds, like are you kidding me? The first of second video, did u see how the airplane "BOUNCED" a few times? If you think landing a one million pound aircraft in heavy crosswind can be compared a lighter aircraft like that of the Hudson River losing both engines, you really have something else coming for you. If you think technical expertise doesn't apply

Let's not forget to add this, the top 25 deadliest air accidents where men piloting the aircraft, including the famous Teneirfe Accident that involved two B747's (casualty almost all) were both male pilots. This remains the "DEADLIEST" accident in the history of global aviation.

Nonetheless, my argument wasn't about their heroics, but was only setting the record straight that women can perform just as their male counterparts do. Flying is all about experience and fair judgement, split seconds can make you a hero or turn u to dust. I do not see why you think men perform ANY special thing in the cockpit. Heck the ratio of men to women pilots is like 7:3 or 8:2, but the ratio of accidents involving men vs women is like 9.5:0.5, I wish FAA and any other agency has such record.

One of the major reason why airlines hire more men than women is because men are more "FLEXIBLE" than women, not to say the experience isn't there. Airlines around the U.S. hire more women per hundred pilots than any other country. Not many women can spend their time traveling, or staying in different cities, or sharing spaces with others. It's the same reason why women do not serve in combat roles in the U.S. Military. It's not because of experience, but other compositional factors.

Here's an excerpt culled from an article

First the Hudson crash involved a large airbus and that of Tenerife was as a result of poor air traffic control, same thing could have happened regardless of who was flying.

Is not like women aren't capable or intelligent enough, but it's a know fact that when it comes to technicality, men seem to have an edge.

If you look around, you would see that men rule the world. Men make tough choices or decisions everyday that would crash most women should they find themselves in those positions. If women were more in control, do you know there would most likely be no wars? Because women are tailored to be emotional and more compassionate, which can cloud their judgement sometimes.

Women can be great when it comes to intellectual tasks involving desk jobs but when it comes to tasks involving some sort of manual effort, I'm not too sure.

Don't get me wrong, there are very strong and capable women in this world but lets just say somethings are better left to a man.

Well lets just say I don't like breaking from routine, so it's gonna take me some time to warm up to the idea.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Nobody: 10:12am On May 02, 2013
Congrats to her....I was at the church service in Dec after she came to meet her ppl in Akwete-Ndoki, Ukwa east and thank GOD in church before donating a Toyota Coaster bus for evangelism. I'm proud of my [size=25pt]NDOKI AUNTY[/size] wink

1 Like

Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Abiyamo: 10:22am On May 02, 2013
Thanks for providing the name of her hometown. I've been searching for that grin
wise_many2k: Congrats to her....I was at the church service in Dec after she came to meet her ppl in Akwete-Ndoki, Ukwa east and thank GOD in church before donating a Toyota Coaster bus for evangelism. I'm proud of my [size=25pt]NDOKI AUNTY[/size] wink
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Basic(m): 10:24am On May 02, 2013
Fidtad:
it is not all about school but current affairs. U dumb.
You're a brainless chimp. I attended a primary school where current affairs was thought as a subject. If you never had such a privilege, sorry.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by jidewin(m): 12:35pm On May 02, 2013
, Wonderful piece. winkThis are write ups that should be adorning our front pages.Respect smiley

1 Like

Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by jjctonl: 1:46pm On May 02, 2013
-Anglican Girls Grammar School, Yaba, Lagos (primary education also in Lagos).

hmmm! She enjoyed Awolowo's free education in Lagos.

Some Igbo people will later say what has Awolowo done to Nigeria.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by Fidtad: 6:18pm On May 02, 2013
Fermosky: read news very well, you've been listening to tales by moon light. Anyway, i have the opportunity of seeing her almost every sunday in church with her husband Elder Kalu, the Elder with the longest sermon record.
lol, what has the sermon u listen to in the church got to do with me. u punk.
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by manny4life(m): 9:54pm On May 02, 2013
50calibre:

First the Hudson crash involved a large airbus and that of Tenerife was as a result of poor air traffic control, same thing could have happened regardless of who was flying.

Is not like women aren't capable or intelligent enough, but it's a know fact that when it comes to technicality, men seem to have an edge.

If you look around, you would see that men rule the world. Men make tough choices or decisions everyday that would crash most women should they find themselves in those positions. If women were more in control, do you know there would most likely be no wars? Because women are tailored to be emotional and more compassionate, which can cloud their judgement sometimes.

Women can be great when it comes to intellectual tasks involving desk jobs but when it comes to tasks involving some sort of manual effort, I'm not too sure.

Don't get me wrong, there are very strong and capable women in this world but lets just say somethings are better left to a man.

Well lets just say I don't like breaking from routine, so it's gonna take me some time to warm up to the idea.

Large Airbus? Bros, the A320 family of the Airbus is the "SMALLEST" class of the Airbus family. This is nothing compared to a B747. A comparable aircraft in the Airbus class is the A380. As for the Tenerife crash, it was a more than your average "poor ATC" like you stated

Men have an edge in technicality because they dominate, but my point still remain, it does not remove knowledge from the women in the field as well. That u have an edge because of numbers doesn't equate to individual experience.

Your "look around the world theory" is just baffling, how about u look at industries, sectors, agencies, and what have you where women are the leaders, use that as a sampling, then tell me if there are more successful women to the failed ones as compared to the men. I have no clue where u got the idea that women are "more compassionate and emotional", I believe that's what Pentagon debated and later found THEY WERE WRONG in their assessment. Like I said, for instance, not until recently, women could not serve in combat roles but now Congress and Pentagon rewrote it.

So u think that flying an airplane is anything less of desk job in the air? Perhaps, maybe u think that pilots perform hard labor in air, haha... Well, I'm glad that things are changing because sexism is very unfair. Women are mostly relegated to the background not because they can't do it, but the perception "women can't do it - somethings are better left to a man" is the demeaning factor.

I have seen women perform hard labor - construction, engineering, manufacturing, etc... If they can do the job, it's time to let them be..

Well, while you're yet to break from routine, MANY women are taking the roles and flying up in the air, btw, here's a video of a female captain. There are tons of other videos of female FO's acting as PIC...Go figure brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nz_oNuX958

1 Like

Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by blackmann(m): 10:18pm On May 04, 2013
50calibre:

[b]Please try and re-read about that Tenerife disaster again. It was more of pilot error than the fault of the ATC.

- There was a bombing at Las Palmas Airport and as a result, most traffic was diverted to Tenerife.
- The Pan Am aircraft was ready to depart, but the KLM plane and a refueling vehicle obstructed access to the runway. The Pan Am aircraft was unable to maneuver around the fueling KLM, reach the runway and depart due to a lack of just 12 ft (3.7 m) of clearance. Captain Veldhuyzen van Zanten(the pilot of the KLM plane) had decided to fully refuel at Los Rodeos instead of Las Palmas, apparently to save time. The PanAm crew radioed the KLM pilot but he chose to ignore them and hung up on them.

- The refueling took about 35 minutes. The search for a missing family of four delayed the flight even further. By the time the plane was ready, a very dense fog had covered the airport and visibility was very very low. The PanAm plane taxiing behind the KLM couldn't even see it.

- Due to communications errors, the Panam plane didn't leave the runway at the exit assigned to it.

- The final nail in the coffin was the KLM pilot didn't wait for ATC clearance before beginning his take-off roll. The PanAm crew had radioed to the ATC that they were still not clear of the runway, but due to some technical errors, the KLM plane didnt recieve the message. The pilot didn't wait for clearance before beginning his roll, even though his co-pilot specifically said they had not been given clearance.

So, my friend, everyone is prone to mistakes, not only women.[/b]
Re: Chinyere Kalu: First Female Pilot by gboyetade: 9:20am On May 12, 2013
Hmmm. Feel like flying too

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Petrol Price: A Shift From Subsidy To Profit Making / June 12: APP Accuses Buhari Of Plagiarism, Threatens Legal Action / Paul Offu: President Buhari Reacts To Killing Of Catholic Priest In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.