Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Nigeria Social Studies And Geography - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria Social Studies And Geography (1156 Views)

Studies Show That Black People Are Genetically Programmed To Be Slaves! / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / International Students Are Dying To Learn African-american/hip-hop/urban Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by Sweetlemon(f): 3:50pm On May 01, 2013
I just went through a thread where the poster posted pictures Kalabari, Urhobo, Ijaw, and other Niger-delta girls and lumped them up as Ijaw. I noticed that ever since GEJ became president, people seem to lump the whole Niger-delta as Ijaw forgetting there are @ least 30 other tribes in that area and these tribes are different with different languages and customs.
Even though Bayelsa is a multi-ethnic state comprised of many other ethnic groups such as Kolokunu, Ekpetiama, Igbriran, Atissa and Biseni, the state is predominantly occupied by the Ijaws. Other tribes found in the state are Nembe, Ogbia and Ogbein, each having its own dialect. There are four main languages in Bayelsa State, which are Izon, Nembe, Ogbia and Epie-Atissa.
Rivers state is home to many ethnic groups: Ikwerre, Igbo, Ijaw, Kalabari, Etche, Ogba, Ogoni and others.
The Major ethnic groups in Delta state are Urhobo, Igbo, Ezon, Isoko and Itsekiri.
Although the customs of this tribes are quite similar, they are independent from each other.
People call all Akwa-ibomites Ibibios and all Cross-riverans Efiks. Akwa-Ibom is mainly made up of the Ibibios, Oron, Annang, Eket, Ibeno. While Cross-river is mainly made up of the Efiks, Bekwaras and Ejaghams.
Although the customs and languages of the ethnic groups in Awka-ibom and cross river are so similar that only an insider can tell the difference, they are all different and independent from each other.
We have another problem with people understanding the northern part of the country too where the whole area is lumped as Hausa.
News flash!: the north has tripple more independent ethnic groups than the south! We have the Hausas, Fulanis, Kanuris, Nupes, Beroms, Gbayis, and at least 180 other ethnic groups! States like Kaduna, Adamawa, Jigawa, and Borno (yeah you heard me right, BORNO!) Have a considerably large Christian community! (So you guys can see that dividing Nigeria along religious lines is quite like removing the sugar from orange juice!)
So, there we are, I guess we are now a tad more knowledgeable about our country. Please feel free to drop more useful info for us if you have. Let's devevlop more interest in our country so we can teach foreigners when they ask us and more importantly, it will help us understand each other better and ultimately lead to the re-building of our great nation
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by Nobody: 3:54pm On May 01, 2013
I can't read this shiite...

Can you break it down with paragraphs, or something? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by EzePromoe: 3:54pm On May 01, 2013
CORRECTION: Stop mistaking dialects/subgroups for tribes.
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by Sweetlemon(f): 3:59pm On May 01, 2013
Eze Promoe: CORRECTION: Stop mistaking dialects/subgroups for tribes.
FYI, some languages share the same names with their tribes of origin. Perhaps that's what is confusing you
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by EzePromoe: 4:14pm On May 01, 2013
Sweetlemon: I just went through a thread where the poster posted pictures Kalabari, Urhobo, Ijaw, and other Niger-delta girls and lumped them up as Ijaw. I noticed that ever since GEJ became president, people seem to lump the whole Niger-delta as Ijaw forgetting there are @ least 30 other tribes in that area and these tribes are different with different languages and customs.
Even though Bayelsa is a multi-ethnic state comprised of many other ethnic groups such as Kolokunu, Ekpetiama, Igbriran, Atissa and Biseni, the state is predominantly occupied by the Ijaws. Other tribes found in the state are Nembe, Ogbia and Ogbein, each having its own dialect. There are four main languages in Bayelsa State, which are Izon, Nembe, Ogbia and Epie-Atissa.
Rivers state is home to many ethnic groups: Ikwerre, Igbo, Ijaw, Kalabari, Etche, Ogba, Ogoni and others.
The Major ethnic groups in Delta state are Urhobo, Igbo, Ezon, Isoko and Itsekiri.
Although the customs of this tribes are quite similar, they are independent from each other.
People call all Akwa-ibomites Ibibios and all Cross-riverans Efiks. Akwa-Ibom is mainly made up of the Ibibios, Oron, Annang, Eket, Ibeno. While Cross-river is mainly made up of the Efiks, Bekwaras and Ejaghams.
Although the customs and languages of the ethnic groups in Awka-ibom and cross river are so similar that only an insider can tell the difference, they are all different and independent from each other.
We have another problem with people understanding the northern part of the country too where the whole area is lumped as Hausa.
News flash!: the north has tripple more independent ethnic groups than the south! We have the Hausas, Fulanis, Kanuris, Nupes, Beroms, Gbayis, and at least 180 other ethnic groups! States like Kaduna, Adamawa, Jigawa, and Borno (yeah you heard me right, BORNO!) Have a considerably large Christian community! (So you guys can see that dividing Nigeria along religious lines is quite like removing the sugar from orange juice!)
So, there we are, I guess we are now a tad more knowledgeable about our country. Please feel free to drop more useful info for us if you have. Let's devevlop more interest in our country so we can teach foreigners when they ask us and more importantly, it will help us understand each other better and ultimately lead to the re-building of our great nation
Cheers!

RED FONTS are Igbo groups, BLUE FONTS are Ijaw groups.
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by EzePromoe: 4:18pm On May 01, 2013
Sweetlemon:
FYI, some languages share the same names with their tribes of origin. Perhaps that's what is confusing you
We all know you're the type that always open controversial thread.
You shifted you focal point of controversy from the Romance Section down to the Culture Section.
So i'm not surprised!

BTW, though off-topic, let me just remind you that another edition of Miss NL will soon kick off, and you still stand a chance cheesy
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by Sweetlemon(f): 4:21pm On May 01, 2013
Eze Promoe:
RED FONTS are Igbo groups, BLUE FONTS are Ijaw groups.
Oga, the groups are not 'Ijaw groups' oooooooo!
They are different and independent from Ijaw. They are have their diff languages and cultures! Please remember google is your best friend.
Kai!
Seems like you are just looking for my trouble so I will be ignoring you on this thread henceforth
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by EzePromoe: 6:29pm On May 01, 2013
Sweetlemon:
Oga, the groups are not 'Ijaw groups' oooooooo!
They are different and independent from Ijaw. They are have their diff languages and cultures! Please remember google is your best friend.
Kai!
Seems like you are just looking for my trouble so I will be ignoring you on this thread henceforth
I know you wanted to raise a controversy, and your anticipation was for this thread to have being on the trend now.
I've played much role in making this thread gain top spot on the board.
Ignore me and I ignore the thread and your anticipation will suffer mutilation.
What do you think?
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by sauceEEP(m): 5:09pm On May 03, 2013
sweetlemon i thought ur no longer a nairalander? So after viewing topics as a guest for few months u've decided to blow ur cover? Anyway welcome back but don't start something u can't finish next time.
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by odumchi: 2:37am On May 04, 2013

OP, you've just revealed to us that you don't know what "Igbo" and "Ijaw" mean. "Igbo" is the collective name for the Ikwere, Etche, and Ogba peoples, whereas "Ijaw" is the collective name for the Kalabari, Okrika, and Brass peoples.

Imagine saying "in the sea there are many living creatures: there are tuna, sharks, fish, and seabass."
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by pleep(m): 6:33am On May 04, 2013
Can you people write with fuckin paragraphs? i mean damn angry
Re: Nigeria Social Studies And Geography by aniiii(f): 2:24am On Jun 23, 2013

(1) (Reply)

What Is This Delicious Fruit Called In Your Dialect? / Oba Jimoh Of Osogbo Restored As Ataoja By The Court Of Appeal Akure / Ondo - A People Like No Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.