Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,922 members, 7,952,708 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:03 PM

Concerned about Employment Gap On his CV - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Concerned about Employment Gap On his CV (804 Views)

Employment In Nigeria; / Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / Who Cares About Employment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Concerned about Employment Gap On his CV by Jarus(m): 6:08pm On May 04, 2013
Dear Jarus,

I have been an active user on NL for a long time now and I can’t help but notice and respect your posts and opinions on many issues from politics to career.

I have decided to seek your counsel on matters as regards my career. Having completed my ICAN program late 2011 (started through ATS) I am 23 years old and currently pursuing my BSc. degree in a private university (a part-time 2 year program for ACAs). I think it is also necessary to mention I worked with a small audit firm briefly for 8 months in 2012 before leaving due to some reasons –i) I had to relocate ii) for promised employment elsewhere (which I never got), iii) and even though I left the firm without any friction (no disagreement as there was a mutual understanding) there seemed to be an imbalance between working there and schooling.

I am about completing the first half (session) of the program, however I have concerns as we approach the last session of another year. I am worried about the employment gap building up in my CV, even though I have taken up jobs in this vicinity – none seems to add value or directly related to my professional career. I am deep in thought to approach possibly the “big four” and some other top notch firms and maybe even some oil firms **wink** for internship. Does my previous work experience in any way mar my chances of internship opportunity with these organizations? How feasible is it approaching these firms for internship? Are there organizations you know of both in practice and industry who readily take in interns? Any other guides and advice you can give me will be highly appreciated. Pardon me if my focus is primarily on internship, you could also recommend organizations that go beyond the conventional recruiting requirement of a degree as I possess little experience coupled with ICAN only.

In case you intend publishing this on your blog, an anonymous identity is preferable.

Thank You.

OO

See my team's responses here:
http://jarushub.com/2013/05/04/employment-gap-on-my-cv/

1 Like

Re: Concerned about Employment Gap On his CV by DisGuy: 11:32am On May 09, 2013
intrigued someone interested in getting an internship is worried about gaps and work experience

I mean; have we come to the stage where getting basic work experience requires 'solid' work experience lol

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Handle Your Supervisor Who Feels Threatened By You? / Become Self Employed, Defeat Carrying Files From Company To Company / DOWNLOAD “ACCA COURSE NOTES” @ ₦0.00

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.