Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit (1535 Views)

Why Power Supply Improved Under Buhari, By Nebo / Forces President Buhari Must Fight To Fix Electricity – Chinedu Nebo / Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 04, 2013
THERE is a particular local saying that when a child is crying and pointing in a particular direction, it is either the mother or father is there.

When the Minister of Power, Professor Chinedu Ositadimma Nebo, stood before the Senate earlier this year to declare that he was going to exorcise the demons in the power sector, it immediately made headlines in the media.

Of course, it had to, because this line of thought was completely new. Nobody before him had openly pursued it. If they contemplated it, they never brought it to the public space. That Nebo has blazed this trail is not surprising.

He possesses what many of his ilks lack, or overlook. It is strange that many people who have gone through the academic mills and acquired the first-grade credentials he has, soon abandon the most essential and crucial part – God. Many of them even begin to delude themselves and commit the most atrocious infamy and sacrilege of declaring with their mouth that there is no God, while others, at best, pay half-hearted heed to His existence and dictates.

That, of course, is one of the major fundamentals the former Vice Chancellor of two federal universities, is bringing to the table, which, rather than serving as a footnote, is likely to define his era in his present job and from there create the template for Nigeria to leapfrog into the future of greatness that has become so elusive in the past, but which everybody, including its enemies, believe is waiting right at the next bend.

It was the same talisman that Nebo used to end the many years of rot at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, UNN, which, before his arrival, wasalready gaining notoriety for its version of being a theatre of war and bloodshed that many of the nation’s tertiary institutions have become in recent years, due to students’cultism. Who didn’t hear that the menace grew so high that Nebo’s predecessor, Prof. Ginigeme Mbanefo, was actually kidnapped and for some days, became game for the unconscionable elements? Who didn’t hear of the killing of 15 students in the university in 2003 or how a former dean was butchered thereafter?

What magic did Nebo apply to ensure that his five-year tenure, from June 2004 to June 2009, led to a totally different story in the university, not only in infrastructural development but total eradication of cultism?

Of course, his story at the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, evokes a similar sentiment. There, he practically squeezed water out of stone in his attempt to build a first class institution that would train the body and mind of Nigerians constantly in search of quality education, such as the likes of the Minister had. Needless to say that he was still at this project when his new appointment came.

This streak of successes, where many have failed, can only mean one thing – that Nebo does not only possess the credentials to achieve hisgoals, but applies them with a rare single-mindedness.
That is why, he must therefore, be taken seriously when he said that he is going to succeed in the power sector and deliver on President Goodluck Jonathan’s promise of making Nigerians enjoy constant electricity during his tenure. That is why those he has been pointing at since his coming on board asthe spoilers, must not only think seriously about their options, but become wiser and more prudent with their ideas of doing things the old way.

In fact, he has recently restated what he said at the Senate screening again and again that it has become a kind of peculiar mantra. Reading the riot act for the umpteenth time, in a television programme, the Minister accentuated the fresh impetus thus: “We are setting up a very robust monitoring device. One thingI can assure you is that all leakages will be plugged. It’s not going to be business as usual. The legacy that we have now will not tolerate the so-called Nigerian factor and leakages. It is time for everybody to know that it is no longer business as usual. If anyone wants to continue in the old games, then we will hold them accountable. I can assure you that we have put in place a solid mechanism to ensure that when government puts in funds somewhere, government gets a concomitant, good, quality work that it has paid for.”

Nebo lamented how a cabal had grown out of some people seized by evil forces. These people, who he described as powerful, would not want the Nigerian power sector to heal because of their proclivity to benefit from the suffering of the people by absconding with funds they obtained for specific power projects.

“I mean, it is all too obvious that lots of funds have gone into the sector but in some areas, you don’t see a concomitant development in the sector; so there are problems within and without. There is the issue of Nigerian factor, cartels that feel that once there is power,they lose their own businesses,” he added.

1 Like

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 9:32pm On May 04, 2013
Reiterating his resolve to solve the problem, Nebo, who said he was equally troubled, vowed to do everything required to ensure that the present crisis is resolved in favour of Nigerians.

And this resolution, according to him would mean a robust economy, where the giant will wake up again; where virtually the about 70 per cent or more of all the Small and Medium Enterprises, SMEs, that have died in Nigeria would wake up again; where barbing, hairdressing, vulcanising, welding businesses and the likes, would be alive and well;where Nigerians would go back to work earn their living honestly and as a result, reduce all the vices currently plaguing the nation as a due to idleness and absence of alternatives; where the big businesses like the telecommunication companies would cut down operation costs by half, because they would no longer rely on diesel, thus producing competitive goods and services.

It is a common saying in Nigeria that only a tree will hear that it would be cut down and still stand in one place. A human being would shift grounds. Is it not time for this cabal to rethink its position? Indeed, many people have actually argued that cabals are not necessarily bad by their name, but in what they do. They insist that most developed economies have their own versions of cabals, which corner all the big contracts and businesses, make huge profits, but still deliver.

Perhaps, Nebo may not be as virulent in his resolve to end their reign if the Nigerian version would try this option.But to obdurately remain a clog in the wheel of progress, could become a recipe for their doom.

Most of the big empires in America today, which have established foundations to help humanity, according to some history, were actually bandits, involved in all manner of crimes. They had to give up, do a rethink and turn a new leaf when the time was up for them.

A similar wind is blowing in Nigeria today. The momentum is so fierce it will certainly destroy all obstacleson the way.
It is hurricane Nebo.

Mr. SUNNY IGBOANUGO, a journalist,wrote from Lagos

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/hurricane-nebo-power-sectors-new-spirit/
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 04, 2013
Is it not this same Hurricane Nebo that said Nigeria can not achieve 10,000 megawatts of electricity by December? So what's will all these praises and azz licking? Till the day i see at least 10 hours of electricity daily in my house, no one should convince me that electricity in Nigeria is improving. Hurricane Nebo ko! Tsunami Barth Nnaji ni! Rubbish!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by ZUBY77(m): 9:40pm On May 04, 2013
Dont you get tired of being used?
Ask Mr Nebo which country generates its power from Holy spirit or Jesus or Prayers. The only thing you do here is to search for news that promote your clueless paymasters
I am begining to believe that GEJ is hiring his fellow clueless morons to run sectors they know nothing about.

2 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 10:05pm On May 04, 2013
ZUBY77: Dont you get tired of being used?
Ask Mr Nebo which country generates its power from Holy spirit or Jesus or Prayers. The only thing you do here is to search for news that promote your clueless paymasters
I am begining to believe that GEJ is hiring his fellow clueless morons to run sectors they know nothing about.
Did anyone force you to open the thread at gun point? Why do you become so agitated at the sight of this ID? You seem to be losing it

8 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 04, 2013
Hhhmmmm Nawao
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by eyenCalabar(m): 10:26pm On May 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Did anyone force you to open the thread at gun point? Why do you become so agitated at the sight of this ID? You seem to be losing it

When would you get tired of all these? I wish the way you are praising these your ogas is the same way they are actually working/delivering. In Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital, light is not even up to 3hrs a day in our lucky days and you are here celebrating mediocrity. It won't make me vote GEJ or PDP come 2015 pls. So you better stop the campaign. You are not a sincere Nigerian in anyway. You are just a sycophantic element. Enough of this your nonsense on NL. Your oga is going in 2015.
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by emiye(m): 10:41pm On May 04, 2013
I think the "hurricane" prefix to Nebo perfectly fits him, we all know the consequences aftermath a hurricane,.... DISRUPTION OF POWER SUPPLY. tongue tongue
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 04, 2013
Smh @ politicians. When will they realise they can neva play politics wit the power situation in Nigeria? They can keep setting unrealistic targets and keep getting floored each time. If there is one area I'm impressed wit d GEJ administration its d power infrastructure being built. As a professional in dat field, all the promises of constant power etc is a pipe dream. It will take time to materialise. In 2yrs maybe. Even if 10000MW is generated today, d guy in uyo still won't ve more power in his house. We just need to be patient. If the govt continue at d rate they are going, in 2yrs thereabout we can smile. But oga sincere Nigeria, stop painting false pictures here!
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 12:06am On May 05, 2013
eyenCalabar:

When would you get tired of all these? I wish the way you are praising these your ogas is the same way they are actually working/delivering. In Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital, light is not even up to 3hrs a day in our lucky days and you are here celebrating mediocrity. It won't make me vote GEJ or PDP come 2015 pls. So you better stop the campaign. You are not a sincere Nigerian in anyway. You are just a sycophantic element. Enough of this your nonsense on NL. Your oga is going in 2015.
I saw the article, copied and pasted it here because I love it. If you dont like, why not search for threads that you like? Must you read any thread that I create? What's your problem? Were you paid to stalk me? All these insecure rats keep looking for attention.

3 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by EkoIle1: 12:20am On May 05, 2013
Damn!! . They put you to work seven days a week with no days off? Not even weekend rest...

Your Ashole rock masters are mean for real because this is slavery and suffer end condition ......lmao

6 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 12:23am On May 05, 2013
Eko Ile: Damn!! . They put you to work seven days a week with no days off? Not even weekend rest...

Your Ashole rock masters are mean for real because this is slavery and suffer end condition ......lmao

Tinubu's dog, whats up? You didn't post pictures of Fashola shaking hands with a white man today. What happened?

8 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 12:39am On May 05, 2013
eyenCalabar:

So you want my oga to be replaced by "your oga" in 2015? Fool!

1 Like

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by automaticcarzz: 1:45am On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
So you want my oga to be replaced by "your oga" in 2015? Fool!

May God work on your life, your children and grandchildren the same way Jonathan is working on Nigeria's power sector. Amen!

3 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Scarpon(m): 1:59am On May 05, 2013
umm guys do u mean Hurricane sandy? ? ooh god no please don't let this happen in Nigeria
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by idupaul: 2:16am On May 05, 2013
Sincere Nigerian this is the first time I will take timeout to insult anyone on Nairaland!!!! But dude U are an impossible fool!!!!!!!
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 6:48am On May 05, 2013
berem: Is it not this same Hurricane Nebo that said Nigeria can not achieve 10,000 megawatts of electricity by December? So what's will all these praises and azz licking? Till the day i see at least 10 hours of electricity daily in my house, no one should convince me that electricity in Nigeria is improving. Hurricane Nebo ko! Tsunami Barth Nnaji ni! Rubbish!! angry
na wa for you. Whr in nigeria dose not see 10hrs of electricity per day? Even ma village dey get light pass 10hrs/day. All these lies you are telling won't get you anywhere ooo

2 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 7:03am On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: THERE is a particular local saying that when a child is crying and pointing in a particular direction, it is either the mother or father is there.

When the Minister of Power, Professor Chinedu Ositadimma Nebo, stood before the Senate earlier this year to declare that he was going to exorcise the demons in the power sector, it immediately made headlines in the media.

Of course, it had to, because this line of thought was completely new. Nobody before him had openly pursued it. If they contemplated it, they never brought it to the public space. That Nebo has blazed this trail is not surprising.

He possesses what many of his ilks lack, or overlook. It is strange that many people who have gone through the academic mills and acquired the first-grade credentials he has, soon abandon the most essential and crucial part – God. Many of them even begin to delude themselves and commit the most atrocious infamy and sacrilege of declaring with their mouth that there is no God, while others, at best, pay half-hearted heed to His existence and dictates.

That, of course, is one of the major fundamentals the former Vice Chancellor of two federal universities, is bringing to the table, which, rather than serving as a footnote, is likely to define his era in his present job and from there create the template for Nigeria to leapfrog into the future of greatness that has become so elusive in the past, but which everybody, including its enemies, believe is waiting right at the next bend.

It was the same talisman that Nebo used to end the many years of rot at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, UNN, which, before his arrival, wasalready gaining notoriety for its version of being a theatre of war and bloodshed that many of the nation’s tertiary institutions have become in recent years, due to students’cultism. Who didn’t hear that the menace grew so high that Nebo’s predecessor, Prof. Ginigeme Mbanefo, was actually kidnapped and for some days, became game for the unconscionable elements? Who didn’t hear of the killing of 15 students in the university in 2003 or how a former dean was butchered thereafter?

What magic did Nebo apply to ensure that his five-year tenure, from June 2004 to June 2009, led to a totally different story in the university, not only in infrastructural development but total eradication of cultism?

Of course, his story at the Federal University, Oye Ekiti, evokes a similar sentiment. There, he practically squeezed water out of stone in his attempt to build a first class institution that would train the body and mind of Nigerians constantly in search of quality education, such as the likes of the Minister had. Needless to say that he was still at this project when his new appointment came.

This streak of successes, where many have failed, can only mean one thing – that Nebo does not only possess the credentials to achieve hisgoals, but applies them with a rare single-mindedness.
That is why, he must therefore, be taken seriously when he said that he is going to succeed in the power sector and deliver on President Goodluck Jonathan’s promise of making Nigerians enjoy constant electricity during his tenure. That is why those he has been pointing at since his coming on board asthe spoilers, must not only think seriously about their options, but become wiser and more prudent with their ideas of doing things the old way.

In fact, he has recently restated what he said at the Senate screening again and again that it has become a kind of peculiar mantra. Reading the riot act for the umpteenth time, in a television programme, the Minister accentuated the fresh impetus thus: “We are setting up a very robust monitoring device. One thingI can assure you is that all leakages will be plugged. It’s not going to be business as usual. The legacy that we have now will not tolerate the so-called Nigerian factor and leakages. It is time for everybody to know that it is no longer business as usual. If anyone wants to continue in the old games, then we will hold them accountable. I can assure you that we have put in place a solid mechanism to ensure that when government puts in funds somewhere, government gets a concomitant, good, quality work that it has paid for.”

Nebo lamented how a cabal had grown out of some people seized by evil forces. These people, who he described as powerful, would not want the Nigerian power sector to heal because of their proclivity to benefit from the suffering of the people by absconding with funds they obtained for specific power projects.

“I mean, it is all too obvious that lots of funds have gone into the sector but in some areas, you don’t see a concomitant development in the sector; so there are problems within and without. There is the issue of Nigerian factor, cartels that feel that once there is power,they lose their own businesses,” he added.

What kind of illiterate journalism is this? How do Nigerian Journalists get certified?! This piece is a literary disgrace, if Ive ever seen one.

SMH Nigeria.... Its open season for mediocrity. undecided
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 7:40am On May 05, 2013
idupaul: Sincere Nigerian this is the first time I will take timeout to insult anyone on Nairaland!!!! But dude U are an impossible fool!!!!!!!
They keep crying and whinning but they'r always coming back for more doses of good reports from Sincere 9gerian. Sincere 9gerian is just too much

1 Like

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by automaticcarzz: 7:45am On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
They keep crying and whinning but they'r always coming back for more doses of good reports from Sincere 9gerian. Sincere 9gerian is just too much
Arindin agba jati jati!
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by baynix(m): 9:09am On May 05, 2013
Here In Ikire.. Osun State.. No Light For More Than 2 Weeks!! Tell Me How Tsunami's Spirit Is Working For PHCN??
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by baynix(m): 9:13am On May 05, 2013
Insincere Nigerian.. The Dunce! grin grin
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 9:28am On May 05, 2013
liberty300: na wa for you. Whr in nigeria dose not see 10hrs of electricity per day? Even ma village dey get light pass 10hrs/day. All these lies you are telling won't get you anywhere ooo
Oh please shut it! why should i lie about it? what will i gain by doing so. Anyone who lives in my estate can attest to what am saying! So you think there are no places in this country where 10 hours of electricity is not available? nonsense!
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by ZUBY77(m): 10:11am On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Who cares about your handle?
What worries me is how you celebrate mediocrity. I take it you have never left this country to see what is happening elsewhere. Your useless masters have employed Juju, thugs, police and every other thing. Now they are turning to prayers and god to give us electricity. Hahahaha.
A common battery generates electricity without prayers, it is just getting more megawatts and we have the money in this country.
Tell me if this is not cluelessnes at its peak.
I dont blame you. We elevate you here by saying that someone pays you. No one pays you anything. You are just exhibiting your silly genes of mediocrity.
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by asala1: 10:21am On May 05, 2013
I met Prof. Nebo once last year when he was still the VC of Federal University Oye, he came to our research institute for collaboration with his unversity. When he got to our Mechatronics and SMT units which are some of his interest points, he displayed an incredible level of intelligence. Apart form the german who installed and train people on the stations and programming, I have not meet anyone with such level of intelligence on mechatronics. Sometimes I wonder how he is able to keep himself current at that level after these years of been VC for UNN and Oye. I can't say anything about the post, but I know that Prof. Nebo is very intelligent.

1 Like

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by baynix(m): 10:33am On May 05, 2013
ZUBY77:

What worries me is how you celebrate mediocrity. I take it you have never left this country to see what is happening elsewhere. Your useless masters have employed Juju, thugs, police and every other thing. Now they are turning to prayers and god to give us electricity. Hahahaha.
A common battery generates electricity without prayers, it is just getting more megawatts and we have the money in this country.
I dont blame you. We elevate you here by saying that someone pays you. No one pays you anything. You are just exhibiting your silly genes of mediocrity.

The Bolded Part Is Very True! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by billante(m): 10:58am On May 05, 2013
Sincere9igeria is a one man mopol! the way you guys attack him all the time means his pulling weight and working his believe with passion!

You cant take it away from him,he is doing well and GEJ govt is giving him enough news and material to drive his believe.
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 11:25am On May 05, 2013
ZUBY77:

Let me for the last time respond to your STUPIDITY.

What your ACNized mind call mediocrity is PROGRESS to some people.

If the power generation was less than 3,000MW before but its now 4,500MW, its PROGRESS. It does not mean all the problem has been solved but it implies PROGRESS has been made. If the power generation needed to provide stable power in the whole of Nigeria is 15,000MW, then 4,500MW is closer to 15,000MW compared to 3,000MW.

If in the past, no one heard of NERC but now NERC is a house hold name, it is PROGRESS. It implies that some changes has taken place in NERC that has made it more alive to its responsibility. By the way, NERC is the regulator of the electricity market. It gives the private sector the confidence to invest in the market. I had to make this clarification on other clarification below because part of the problem on this forum is IGNORANCE.

If in the past we didn't have Bulk Purchaser of power but now we have it, that is another PROGRESS. The Bulk Purchaser of power is the body that buys power in BULK directly from any company, whether private or public, that generates power. It became necessary because private investors were scared of investing in power generation because they may not recoop their investment based on the previous arrangement of selling to transmission company and then distribution company. With the Bulk Purchaser now created, any power generated by any company will be bought immediately. It is now the responsibility of the Bulk Purchaser to sell to transmission company and then distribution company. The singular act of creating the Bulk Purchaser has encouraged private investors to invest in power generation and results will become evident in a couple of years. That is creating enabling environment for private investment in power generation. Read one of the private companies now investing in power generation
https://www.nairaland.com/1279617/notore-partners-contourglobal-develop-500mw

Likewise, the govt has given marching orders to ALL contractors handling the NIPP power projects to complete them by the end of this year. The NIPP projects are govt power projects spread across the country. They are about 440 projects and cut across generation (power plants), transmission and distribution facilities. So far, about 40 of these projects have been completed while the remaining 400 or so are at various stages of completion. That is PROGRESS.

Part of the power road map is privatisation of existing publicly owned power generation and distribution facilities. So far, privatisation of about 15 of such companies is nearing completion. The preferred bidders have emerged and ALL have paid the first installment (25%) of bid value. That is PROGRESS. What is remaining now is settlement of PHCN workers entitlement and payment of the remaining 75% by bid winners. After which the private sector will take over.

Finally, part of the power road map is concession of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN). Now, TCN has been COMPLETELY concessioned to Manitoba. The essence of the concession is for Manitoba to bring to bear their expertise in the sector and transform the TCN to a giant that it should be. The TCN is the bridge between between power generation companies and distribution companies. If that bridge is not strong enough, all the effort in power generation and distribution will come to ZERO.

So in conclusion, these are the PROGRESS that has been made in the power sector in the last few years. Some people dont want to hear the details, but the FACT is that without these details the hope of stable power is a mirage. There is no magic wand to attaining stable power, except in the details given above. Moreover, it is the right of the people to KNOW every step taken by their govt in solving national problems. End of story

4 Likes

Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by Nobody: 11:35am On May 05, 2013
Anyone who opposes to Sickcere 9gerian is from ACN, ANPP or CPC. I wonder how you reason. most people here just like me don't belong to any political party. We are just concerned citizens of this country who voice out our anger on this Clueless government of Jonathan. it's very obvious that you are a paid dog who goes from forum to forum spreading lies about Jonathan's achievements. who else does that if you ain't paid to do so? but no matter how hard you try to convince us, the more you prove to us how incompetent Jonathan is.
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by ochukoccna: 11:51am On May 05, 2013
Dear hurricane nebo,
I'm making arrangements to buy a 3kva inverter to supplement my 6.5 kva TEC Igwe generator which has been working since dawn today
Should I go ahead and purchase? undecided
Or do I await the ill wind an hurricane brings in its wake?
However ,with hindsight knowing how your boss works, I better make my purchase
Thank you
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by holyvirgin: 11:51am On May 05, 2013
@sincere nigerian,hmmm nice, I do know that Nebo will do a very good job. He is smart and capable of reviving the power company.

Educate the zubby guy what progress is, the problem with some unintelligent people who keep barking at FG efforts is ignorance. They don't want to hear anything good about GEJ even when we have evidences of his efforts littered everywhere. But nigerians know and can testify that power have improved.
Re: Hurricane Nebo: Power Sector’s New Spirit by ZUBY77(m): 11:59am On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Let me for the last time respond to your STUPIDITY.

What your ACNized mind call mediocrity is PROGRESS to some people.

If the power generation was less than 3,000MW before but its now 4,500MW, its PROGRESS. It does not mean all the problem has been solved but it implies PROGRESS has been made. If the power generation needed to provide stable power in the whole of Nigeria is 15,000MW, then 4,500MW is closer to 15,000MW compared to 3,000MW.

If in the past, no one heard of NERC but now NERC is a house hold name, it is PROGRESS. It implies that some changes has taken place in NERC that has made it more alive to its responsibility. By the way, NERC is the regulator of the electricity market. It gives the private sector the confidence to invest in the market. I had to make this clarification on other clarification below because part of the problem on this forum is IGNORANCE.

If in the past we didn't have Bulk Purchaser of power but now we have it, that is another PROGRESS. The Bulk Purchaser of power is the body that buys power in BULK directly from any company, whether private or public, that generates power. It became necessary because private investors were scared of investing in power generation because they may not recoop their investment based on the previous arrangement of selling to transmission company and then distribution company. With the Bulk Purchaser now created, any power generated by any company will be bought immediately. It is now the responsibility of the Bulk Purchaser to sell to transmission company and then distribution company. The singular act of creating the Bulk Purchaser has encouraged private investors to invest in power generation and results will become evident in a couple of years. That is creating enabling environment for private investment in power generation. Read one of the private companies now investing in power generation
https://www.nairaland.com/1279617/notore-partners-contourglobal-develop-500mw

Likewise, the govt has given marching orders to ALL contractors handling the NIPP power projects to complete them by the end of this year. The NIPP projects are govt power projects spread across the country. They are about 440 projects and cut across generation (power plants), transmission and distribution facilities. So far, about 40 of these projects have been completed while the remaining 400 or so are at various stages of completion. That is PROGRESS.

Part of the power road map is privatisation of existing publicly owned power generation and distribution facilities. So far, privatisation of about 15 of such companies is nearing completion. The preferred bidders have emerged and ALL have paid the first installment (25%) of bid value. That is PROGRESS. What is remaining now is settlement of PHCN workers entitlement and payment of the remaining 75% by bid winners. After which the private sector will take over.

Finally, part of the power road map is concession of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN). Now, TCN has been COMPLETELY concessioned to Manitoba. The essence of the concession is for Manitoba to bring to bear their expertise in the sector and transform the TCN to a giant that it should be. The TCN is the bridge between between power generation companies and distribution companies. If that bridge is not strong enough, all the effort in power generation and distribution will come to ZERO.

So in conclusion, these are the PROGRESS that has been made in the power sector in the last few years. Some people dont want to hear the details, but the FACT is that without these details the hope of stable power is a mirage. There is no magic wand to attaining stable power, except in the details given above. Moreover, it is the right of the people to KNOW every step taken by their govt in solving national problems. End of story

Do you know how i judge progress?
It is when electriciity rises from 5 hours a day to 6 hours and upwards.
I am not intersted in your MW crap.

All this increase in MW, where are we distributing them? Ghana or Niger?

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Letter To The Misbhaving Noble Man Prof Wole Soyinka / Obj Letter To GEJ, Falana React....jonathan, A Good Student Of Obasanjo— FALANA / Gov Aregbesola Bags Another International Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.