Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,132 members, 7,811,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? (642 Views)

Face Of A Dead Cleric Reportedly Seen On Mosque Walls In Lagos / Alert Level In Our Boarders Should Be Raised To Red / Who Is Diddy? What Do U Think Of Him? Who Doesnt Know Diddy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? by emekatimsu(m): 3:33am On May 05, 2013
'Plan to erect walls on borders unreasonable.
Security experts on Friday faulted the plan by the Federal Government to erect walls along Nigeria's borders, as a way of controlling the influx of illegal immigrants. A former Director of the State Security Service, Mr. Mike Ejiofor, in an interview with SUNDAY PUNCH said the plan was unreasonable and unachievable.
He said, "When I heard of that issue being debated at the House of Representatives, I said it's unthinkable to erect walls along Nigeria's borders. Even if it is in the North alone, I still do not think it will serve any purpose. First of all, it's capital- intensive trying to erect such walls. "What I understand is that we have legal and illegal routes. For the legal routes, you can erect some walls, about a kilometre on both sides to control the influx of immigrants. But saying you want to wall the whole Nigeria, is unreasonable and unachievable."
Ejiofor added that it was necessary for the Nigeria Immigration Service and other security agencies to be properly equipped to man the country's borders, especially the notorious illegal routes that had been identified over the years. "We can secure some points as travel control points, we then use the immigration and other security forces on the known, well-used illegal routes," he said.

The ex-SSS boss also said the Federal Government should instead, adopt satellite monitoring. Similarly, another security consultant based in Borno State, Mr. Hussaini Monguno, said erecting walls on the borders will have no effect. He said, "It will only create bottle-necks for immigrants. What we need is patriotic and well- equipped security agencies; stationed across the borders and the buffer zones. I don't know how they are going to fence it from Maiduguri all the way to Katsina. Borno State alone shares borders with three countries; Cameroon, Chad and Niger Republic. Fencing cannot solve the problem." The House of Representatives recently asked the Federal Government to build a perimeter fence along Nigeria's 3,140-square-kilometre borderlines
with neighbouring countries to check the influx of illegal immigrants.

In a resolution it passed in Abuja, the House said the borderlines should be properly demarcated "with sensors and cameras to help check illegal entry and to enable the Nigeria Immigration Service to have proper statistics of those entering the country"
Re: Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? by obongtunji: 5:54am On May 05, 2013
I hope it will really stop aliens from entering our country without proper documentation, but believe you me, it's going to be another means for some set of people to enrich themselves....lop
Re: Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? by Mynd44: 6:22am On May 05, 2013
Windfall for the people producing and supplying cement. What the bleed is this, China?
Re: Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? by Bigcake: 7:46am On May 05, 2013
I see it as a waste of funds. In dis modern wolrd why cnt we erect an aerial satellite or a security tower wit high tech binoculars to watch over the borders, while foot soldiers shld be stationed at strategic positions around d border, with constant monitoring and conversation between the control room and the security operatives.
Re: Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? by Mynd44: 7:47am On May 05, 2013
Bigcake: I see it as a waste of funds. In dis modern wolrd why cnt we erect an aerial satellite or a security tower wit high tech binoculars to watch over the borders, while foot soldiers shld be stationed at strategic positions around d border, with constant monitoring and conversation between the control room and the security operatives.
It is bad idea cos there will not be enough money to steal cheesy
Re: Plans To Erect Walls On Nigeria's Boarders On The Way;what Do U Think? by emekatimsu(m): 11:03pm On May 07, 2013
Bigcake: I see it as a waste of funds. In dis modern wolrd why cnt we erect an aerial satellite or a security tower wit high tech binoculars to watch over the borders, while foot soldiers shld be stationed at strategic positions around d border, with constant monitoring and conversation between the control room and the security operatives.

Well said bt when will ds country eva get to that stage.

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Smoke Cigar/weed (beliefs Wise) Or Society Frowns On It? / Help!!!....i've Anger Management / Ibadan Couple Wins N2m In Diamond Savingsxtra Promo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.