Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,387 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:08 AM

Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) - Celebrities (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) (48926 Views)

Keri Hilson Dancing Etighi & Azonto In Abuja [VIDEO] / Keri Hilson Is Now In Nigeria (pics) / Keri Hilson Is Pretty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by alanmwene: 9:18am On May 06, 2013
I don't think "fufu" is a ghanian "invention"!
Congo:It is called badi,ugali,etc....The healthiest one is with maize!
Zimbabwe: saza
Kenya:ugali
Tanzania:ugali
Almost everywhere in Africa,people eat "fufu"!
By the way,there isn't so much creativity in making fufu!
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by rhymz(m): 9:40am On May 06, 2013
GH Swagg:

About the bolded... My brother don't even go there ooo! That one no be true!

Have you ever beaten your finger eating your soup? I guess not. Try our fufu soups and see what would happen cheesy
hahahahah. . . Trust me dude, Fufu is a general term for Akpu, in Nigeria only Igbos call it Akpu, it is also popular with calabar people and they probably have a name for it as well but in general terms, it is reffered to as Fufu. Go and ask Ghananaians that have tasted our soups, trust me, Ghana soups come a distant behind in comparison. Go to NL food section and see some of our soups, there is a reason many of them are mainstream and cut across tribes in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 11:05am On May 06, 2013
Wana_G: I’m beginning to think Keri Hilson is a Nigerian or she has Nigerian blood in her.

A few months back, she tweeted about her love for Flavour’s Nwa Baby, and now she’s making Fufu.

The singer posted the picture on her instagram page, captioning it “making fufu is a reaaal workout! gotta put your back into it

Full story: http://www.360nobs.com/2013/05/closet-nigerian-keri-hilson-makes-a-humongous-bowl-of-fufu-photo/
DONT DELUDE URSELF,she is going out with a Congolese Basketball player that is why she is becoming more Africanised...
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 11:25am On May 06, 2013
The Yorubas refer to akpu as fufu. Akpu is just the Igbo name for what the Yoruba and other people in South-Western Nigeria call fufu. So saying fufu is distinctively Ghanaian is laughable. The Togolese eat fufu, the Liberians eat fufu, those in Benin Republic eat fufu (and yes, they call it fufu). So what are you saying?
GH Swagg:

My friend what you just described are two different foods. One is called fufu and the other akpu. You have tasted both and confirmed that they are not the same in terms of texture and taste. You made it clear that what Ghanaians call fufu doesn't taste and feel like akpu. So it makes sense that they have different names.

Now, since Nigerians don’t eat what Ghanaians call fufu and Ghanaians don’t eat what Nigerians call akpu, can we just agree that fufu is distinctively Ghanaian while akpu is Nigerian? I’ll love to one day try akpu smiley

And what is posted on Wikipedia is about fufu not akpu LOL!

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Iykeponti(m): 12:20pm On May 06, 2013
Fufu wey our igbo 4fadas use feed ghanian refugees in those dayz , nawa-oo grin grin
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by londoner: 12:32pm On May 06, 2013
Iykeponti: Fufu wey our igbo 4fadas use feed ghanian refugees in those dayz , nawa-oo grin grin

^^^^ Come on, lets not go there. You and I are both of Igbo stock and we all know (especially our forefathers) what it means to be a person fleeing your country, for whatever reason.

Your comment was uncalled for and I'm quite ashamed that an igbo person could reason like that, knowing what Igbos went through during the Biafra years....including starvation.

4 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Crixina(f): 12:47pm On May 06, 2013
Royal^Pearl^:
WhIle you were trying to come across as educated in ghanaian fufu you only further proved your lack of knowledge. There are different types of fufu, yam, cassava, cocoa etc and fufu varies some prefer it soft and some prefer it more firm. Am sure Ghanaian fufu and Nigeria fufu taste different because of the method prepared just like the way our jollof rice taste different from the Nigerian jollof rice.
thanks prof.for the lecture on fufu 101.then if u knw ther r different kinds and methods of preparing fufu,then u should knw enough not to make it sound like its a ghananian food,cos an average ghananian will quickly tink of the yam paste when fufu is being mentioned,while an average nigerian will tink of cassava paste.hence that still goes bk to my first point that fufu may mean different things to these countries.
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Crixina(f): 12:59pm On May 06, 2013
rhymz: yeah right. . . Wait until you see real Nigerian fufu or Akpu. Trust me Ghanaians don't eat Fufu better than Igbos or Calabar ppl. It is a common staple associated with them in Nigeria. We dont use plantain or whatever, strictly cassava. And igbos do it quite differently from Calabar that roast theirs. We have the best soups for fufu than ghanaians trust me on that.
i agree wit ur post,but nt wit the part that says calabar roast their fufu,we dnt,i can tel u da process frm when the cassava is brot frm the farm,till when it is served for lunch with hot 'afang or edikanikong soup'but let me spare u da details by just saying we stir the paste in a pot after mixing with a moderate quantity of water,kind of like stirring ur semovita.
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Beync(f): 1:00pm On May 06, 2013
peeps having headache over keri Hilson bowl of fufu
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by GHSwagg: 1:06pm On May 06, 2013
Crixina: thanks prof.for the lecture on fufu 101.then if u knw ther r different kinds and methods of preparing fufu,then u should knw enough not to make it sound like its a ghananian food,cos an average ghananian will quickly tink of the yam paste when fufu is being mentioned,while an average nigerian will tink of cassava paste.hence that still goes bk to my first point that fufu may mean different things to these countries.

LOL! The average Ghanaian never thinks of yam when it comes to fufu. We don't eat pounded yam. That is a Nigerian dish.

3 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by rhymz(m): 1:12pm On May 06, 2013
Crixina: i agree wit ur post,but nt wit the part that says calabar roast their fufu,we dnt,i can tel u da process frm when the cassava is brot frm the farm,till when it is served for lunch with hot 'afang or edikanikong soup'but let me spare u da details by just saying we stir the paste in a pot after mixing with a moderate quantity of water,kind of like stirring ur semovita.
Yeah, you right about that. . . Infact, the calabar method of stairing it in a hot pot is the widely used method, that was what I referred to as roasting. . Lol. .dont mind my lack of proper description jare. And like I said, easterners have got way more array of soups to eat their fufu than ghanaians-from the mainstream Igbo soups to the mainstream calabar soups like you mentioned already (afang and oha soup are my favourite soup for fufu) not to talk of those other kalabari and midwest soups.
If there is one thing nobody can take away from the peoples of the eastern region, it is their array of soups and cooked foods.
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by GHSwagg: 1:13pm On May 06, 2013
ItsModella: The Yorubas refer to akpu as fufu. Akpu is just the Igbo name for what the Yoruba and other people in South-Western Nigeria call fufu. So saying fufu is distinctively Ghanaian is laughable. The Togolese eat fufu, the Liberians eat fufu, those in Benin Republic eat fufu (and yes, they call it fufu). So what are you saying?

Okay baby girl we all eat fufu AKA akpu (by the Igbos). End of the fufu story cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by rhymz(m): 1:17pm On May 06, 2013
GH Swagg:

LOL! The average Ghanaian never thinks of yam when it comes to fufu. We don't eat pounded yam. That is a Nigerian dish.
. . .hahahah. . Neither does an average Nigerian think Ghanaian when fufu is mentioned.
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Crixina(f): 1:20pm On May 06, 2013
GH Swagg:

am sure u didn't see pounded yam in my post.u said something abt fufu being made frm cassava,yam,cocoa...so maybe u shud put 1 and 1 together and u might just 2 4an answer.
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by rhymz(m): 1:21pm On May 06, 2013
ItsModella: The Yorubas refer to akpu as fufu. Akpu is just the Igbo name for what the Yoruba and other people in South-Western Nigeria call fufu. So saying fufu is distinctively Ghanaian is laughable. The Togolese eat fufu, the Liberians eat fufu, those in Benin Republic eat fufu (and yes, they call it fufu). So what are you saying?

exactly. . . Infact, I used to think fufu was a Yoruba word, till today, when I go home and mention fufu to my grand mother she usually does not understand what it is I am talking about until I say akpu. . . It is just like Ogi and akamu. . . Most of my cousins that grew up in the east dont know what ogi is.
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by GHSwagg: 1:22pm On May 06, 2013
rhymz: . . .hahahah. . Neither does an average Nigerian think Ghanaian when fufu is mentioned.

Obviously, LOL!

1 Like

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by GHSwagg: 1:33pm On May 06, 2013
Crixina: thanks prof.for the lecture on fufu 101.then if u knw ther r different kinds and methods of preparing fufu,then u should knw enough not to make it sound like its a ghananian food, cos an average ghananian will quickly tink of the yam paste when fufu is being mentioned, while an average nigerian will tink of cassava paste.hence that still goes bk to my first point that fufu may mean different things to these countries.

See bolded... The average Ghanaian never thinks of yam paste when fufu is mentioned. Actually only few people like to add yam to the cassava to reduce the starch in the cassava.

3 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Chartey(m): 1:36pm On May 06, 2013
Yungwizzzy: Anoda nigeria attention seeker. Is she on her way 2 nigeria again?

Abeg make 1 Nlder wer God go bless buy dis dude beta phn na, dis chinko wer i dey use nor b him. Pm me abeg. Seun hw fa
Is fufu only eaten in Nigeria? Some people eh! That name is widely used in Africa. Her Congolese boyfriend obviously taught her.
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 06, 2013
GH Swagg:

See bolded... The average Ghanaian never thinks of yam paste when fufu is mentioned. Actually only few people like to add yam to the cassava to reduce the starch in the cassava.
Yam itself is a starchy food. So you add yam to cassava to reduce the starch? That's adding starch to starch to reduce the starch. grin grin
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by rhymz(m): 1:43pm On May 06, 2013
ItsModella:
Yam itself is a starchy food. So you add yam to cassava to reduce the starch? That's adding starch to starch to reduce the starch. grin grin
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 06, 2013
ItsModella:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by GHSwagg: 1:54pm On May 06, 2013
ItsModella:

LOL! Of course yam has starch. Even potatoes have starch. But cassava’s starch is extremely higher, so adding yam makes it not as starchy as using only cassava cheesy
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Kajina: 3:16pm On May 06, 2013
alanmwene: I don't think "fufu" is a ghanian "invention"!
Congo:It is called badi,ugali,etc....The healthiest one is with maize!
Zimbabwe: saza
Kenya:ugali
Tanzania:ugali
Almost everywhere in Africa,people eat "fufu"!
By the way,there isn't so much creativity in making fufu!

What you have listed are not fufu. The Zimbabwe sadza and Congolese, Kenyan, and Tanzanian ugali are similar to what the Ewes in Ghana call akple. They are totally different from fufu. Compare this with the fufu video I posted earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYo4uqJvb1Y

4 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by alanmwene: 4:19pm On May 06, 2013
Kajina:

What you have listed are not fufu. The Zimbabwe sadza and Congolese, Kenyan and Tanzanian ugali are similar to what the Ewes in Ghana call akpene. They are totally different from fufu. Compare this to the fufu video I posted earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYo4uqJvb1Y
Ok!Lets put it this way:FUFU is a ghanian invention!Are you happy now? grin
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by eme40rald(f): 5:01pm On May 06, 2013
mollytinrox: Sister Keri, forget all your figure and agility if you incorporate that into your diet.

#when it knocks you down, just get back up.
hahahaha..so true
Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 06, 2013
rhymz: Let's get something straight here: Fufu is not Ghanaian or has its origin in Ghana. I am Igbo and know that fufu inlike highlife is a cultural thing in my place, it has existed way before Ghana or Nigeria were known as countries, it is like somebody saying pounded yam is Ghanaian.
In Igbo land we don't even call it fufu, we call it Akpu japu, and we prepare it very differently from those varient I see ghanaians eat, ours is strictly done with cassava, aint no such thing as plantain or Yam fufu, strictly japu (cassava).
Ghanaians generally call sticky pastes made from tuber plants and plantain fufu which to me is very different from ours, so no need to make claims that have very obvious differences, the only thing they can make claim to is probably the name fufu, we actually do not call it fufu but Akpu and am sure calabar people have their own name for it as well. But to claim that we learnt it or stole the art from you guyz is to push the boundaries of ignorance, no Igbo man or easterner learnt the art of eating or making fufu or Akpu from any external source let alone from Ghana, that food is as cultural and customary to Igbos like the breaking of kolanuts for after prayers or to entertain visitors. So you all can stop arrogating it to yourselves.
Lol when you think of Ghana the first thing that comes to mind is fufu. We are not saying that other Africans do not eat fufu (Go and ask everyone outside what they know about Ghana and the first food they will tell you is fufu) Jollof rice originated from the wolof ethnic group but a lot of African countries still eat it regularly just like fufu. I just googled akpu and it does not look at all like our fufu more like a food we call banku in Ghana so clearly there is a difference. There is no need to get over sensitive about this issue. Akpu originated from Nigeria and Fufu origiated from Ghana. If it makes you feel better for you to claim our fufu originated from Nigeria then feel whatever you need to feel to make yourselfs feel better it's no train smash. There are different types of Ghanaian fufu such as Plaintain, cocoyam etc while you said you guys only eat cassava not plaintain or cocoyam which already makes it different as we have variety.

Below the first two pics is your akpu [/b]and the [b]last two is what we call banku

3 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 06, 2013
our fufu

4 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 06, 2013
londoner:

I'm not vex. but a tad annoyed.

Even if you look at the Ghanaian way of eating fufu.....it is totally different from our way, and their accompanying soups are also different.

They eat theirs in the same bowl as the soup....we dont.

We serve our fufu separately from the soup apart from some yorubas, who sometimes have theirs on the same plate as the pounded yam/eba etc.

Our fufu is totally difrerent both in texture and taste. i have had Ghana fufu in Ghana and Nigerian Akpu or fufu as a stable growing up........they are NOT the same.
I agree with you, our fufu and your akpu is not the same thing so i don't understand exactly what the problem is. Our foods are different so its not the same thing.

2 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 06, 2013
GH Swagg:

My friend what you just described are two different foods. One is called fufu and the other akpu. You have tasted both and confirmed that they are not the same in terms of texture and taste. You made it clear that what Ghanaians call fufu doesn't taste and feel like akpu. So it makes sense that they have different names.

Now, since Nigerians don’t eat what Ghanaians call fufu and Ghanaians don’t eat what Nigerians call akpu, can we just agree that fufu is distinctively Ghanaian while akpu is Nigerian? I’ll love to one day try akpu smiley

And what is posted on Wikipedia is about fufu not akpu LOL!

This is it. Case closed

3 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 06, 2013
Crixina: i agree wit ur post,but nt wit the part that says calabar roast their fufu,we dnt,i can tel u da process frm when the cassava is brot frm the farm,till when it is served for lunch with hot 'afang or edikanikong soup'but let me spare u da details by just saying we stir the paste in a pot after mixing with a moderate quantity of water,kind of like stirring ur semovita.
There are different ways we make fufu too. In the pot like you mentioned( esp ghanaians in Diaspora, even some make it in microwaves) and also with the mortar and pestle.

3 Likes

Re: Keri Hilson Makes A Bowl Of Fufu (photo) by rhymz(m): 8:23pm On May 06, 2013
Royal^Pearl^:
Lol when you think of Ghana the first thing that comes to mind is fufu. We are not saying that other Africans do not eat fufu (Go and ask everyone outside what they know about Ghana and the first food they will tell you is fufu) Jollof rice originated from the wolof ethnic group but a lot of African countries still eat it regularly just like fufu. I just googled akpu and it does not look at all like our fufu more like a food we call banku in Ghana so clearly there is a difference. There is no need to get over sensitive about this issue. Akpu originated from Nigeria and Fufu origiated from Ghana. If it makes you feel better for you to claim our fufu originated from Nigeria then feel whatever you need to feel to make yourselfs feel better it's no train smash. There are different types of Ghanaian fufu such as Plaintain, cocoyam etc while you said you guys only eat cassava not plaintain or cocoyam which already makes it different as we have variety.

Below the first two pics is your akpu [/b]and the [b]last two is what we call banku
Madam, I will continue to correct this wrong impression for as long as it takes, Fufu did not come from Ghana, I have noticed most of the claims online about its origins being from Ghana have largely been from Ghanaians themselves and some misinformed non-Africans or non west Africans that probably got such information from Ghanaian claims.
Like I said before, Fufu is a generic term or name for starchy semi-solid paste made from cassavas and plantain, it is not an exclusive Ghanaian food or borrows its origin from Ghana. That is a repeated lie my dear, I don't remember my father or mother exciting us with stories about how their ancestors learnt the art of making fufu from Ghanaians, there is no known record or documented evidence that I know of or is generally known anywhere that fufu is a Ghanaian food. If you do your research well, you will be surprised to trace its origins to slave trade and not Ghana. My forefathers have been eating fufu before the names Nigeria and Ghana came to exist.
I have watched a couple of videos of what Ghanains call fufu, in Nigeria for instance, they wont pass as fufu both in textur and looks. Nigerian fufu is very different from the Ghanaian Fufu and even eaten differently, you dare not eat Nigerian fufu in thesame plate you have the soup, you wont even enjoy it. In ghana for instance, both white and black amala will pass for fufu but in Nigerian no trained eye will call Amala fufu. Your attempt to differentiate Akpu from fufu is laughable especially to Nigerians, it shows your limited knowledge of your own claims, if you knew anything about fufu as you claim, you would know that it has varients as you move from one west or central african country to another yet their origins owe themselves independly from countries to countries to the point your best bet of a common origin of fufu will be slavery. 90% of Nigerians that eat fufi donllt even know that Ghana eats fufu too let alone claim to invent it, yet in the limits of their beliefs they might be justifiably right in their claims just as you. Go and do a proper research if you realy want to know, fufu is not synonymous to Ghanaians, at least to the knowledge of other west and central African people that eat fufu.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Pasuma And His Daughter Wasila In 1991 / Meet Aisha "Flygirl" Vatsa; The Fastest Female Biker In Nigeria (PHOTOS) / Muyiwa Ademola Acquires A New House (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.