Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Who Is A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A Christian? (632 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Christian? by christemmbassey(m): 5:58pm On May 07, 2013
This is very important and i invite all especially bible teachers on this envisaged very intresting journey. God's grace multiplied for wisdom unquantified.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by shdemidemi(m): 12:42pm On May 14, 2013
A christian is anyone that believe the gospel of Christ.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by christemmbassey(m): 12:57pm On May 14, 2013
shdemidemi: A christian is anyone that believe the gospel of Christ.
God bless bro, pls elucidate.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by shdemidemi(m): 2:46pm On May 14, 2013
christemmbassey: God bless bro, pls elucidate.

The first doctrine according to scriptures was the doctrine of election- God elected a certain man called Abraham, He made him his friend. God promised to make the lineage of Abraham his people and through him(Abraham)all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, this lead to a doctrine of the written law of Moses. This law was written to the nation of Israel(the Jews as we call them).

After a long period where God was dealing with only the Jews, A man called John came to prepare the Jews for the Messiah, Christ, the son of man, the same Christ other prophets had prophesied about. The Jews were expectant for their king who will rule over them. John the Baptist's doctrine was REPENTANCE in preparation for the kingdom of God, cos God was to come to them in human form to start a Jewish kingdom on earth.

John made it known to everyone at the arrival of Christ, but the people found it really hard to understand. They could hardly believe John that Jesus was truly their king (they expected a spectacular and a grand/luxurious arrival). God confirmed Christ has is son as soon as John had baptised him confirming Christ as His son.

The gospel of repentance ended after this cos the king has been confirmed by God. But, the Jews never believed their king. He made countless miracles to prove to them but they did not adhere. Christ then made it clear through his parables that the programme has changed. Another kingdom that would not involve only Jews was been announced. Christ said in Mathew21:31 that heathens would make the kingdom of God before the Jews.

They eventually killed their king, he was buried but he resurrected after the third day. He appeared to his twelve disciples to spread this news to the world. The disciples didn't understand the mystery of the death and resurrection in addition with the fact that they could not comprehend preaching to non-jews even after Christ clearly told them to.

Christ decided to use another man called Paul who unveiled the mystery behind the death and resurrection of Christ. He took the gospel of Christ minus the law, minus the Jewish order to non-Jews. He says the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation.

Therefore any other doctrine is not from Christ, this includes healing, miracles, tithes, prosperity to mention a few. The only gospel to Christians is the gospel that leads unto salvation.

This power of salvation is available to anyone who believes in the gospel of Christ. Therefore, a Christian is anyone who believe in the gospel of Christ.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by christemmbassey(m): 3:01pm On May 14, 2013
God bless you plenty, pls can you bring in the concept of born-again, bc from jn3, i discovered dat Jesus was the 1st to talk about the issue of 'born again', is there anything like 'born again-christian' ? Peace.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by shdemidemi(m): 3:23pm On May 14, 2013
christemmbassey: God bless you plenty, pls can you bring in the concept of born-again, bc from jn3, i discovered dat Jesus was the 1st to talk about the issue of 'born again', is there anything like 'born again-christian' ? Peace.

A Christian can't be 'born again' my brother. You would not find such word in the whole of the Pauline epistles because he was speaking to non-jews, you would rather see 'renewal of our mind'.

Repent and born again are similar word used for the Jews only. This is because the Jews were God's people through Abraham but they fell through their sins thus they need to get themselves back to where they were with God through repentance and being born again.
repentance was coined from re and pent
re meaning again and pent meaning top.
The jews were at the top before so they can RE-PENT, unlike the gentiles that were condemned from time.

A typical example is, if I have not called your phone before, I cant then say 'I will call you again'.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by christemmbassey(m): 6:30pm On May 14, 2013
shdemidemi:

A Christian can't be 'born again' my brother. You would not find such word in the whole of the Pauline epistles because he was speaking to non-jews, you would rather see 'renewal of our mind'.

Repent and born again are similar word used for the Jews only. This is because the Jews were God's people through Abraham but they fell through their sins thus they need to get themselves back to where they were with God through repentance and being born again.
The jews were at the top before so they can RE-PENT, unlike the gentiles that were condemned from time.

A typical example is, if I have not called your phone before, I cant then say 'I will call you again'.
thanks bro, but Christ said to Nicodemus, "except a MAN be born again, he can not see the kingdom of God", what about jn3:16, Rm10:9 and so many that talks about repenting from dead works and whats the dif btween repenting and renewing of mind. Peace.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by shdemidemi(m): 7:51pm On May 14, 2013
christemmbassey: thanks bro, but Christ said to Nicodemus, "except a MAN be born again, he can not see the kingdom of God", what about jn3:16, Rm10:9 and so many that talks about repenting from dead works and whats the dif btween repenting and renewing of mind. Peace.

Nicodemus was a Pharisee (Jew) and not a gentile. The Jews need to be born again like I explained earlier. What about John 3;16 bro.

Romans 10:9 is the only way every gentile believer knew how to be saved. This verse never talked of repentance but belief.

We are exposed to two forms of information when we become a Christian. First, is the information already resident in our minds when it comes to world issues. This is passed down by genetics from our parents and we continue to display the attitudes of our parents but to different degrees and percentages. I will like to classify this as the wrong information, compared to the information that we will be getting from another avenue.

The other information we can get comes from God, classified as the right information. By gathering this information, we will generally gravitate towards thinking like the owner or source of the information. This is engendered by the saving grace through Christ Jesus.

Once we accept Jesus into our life as Lord and Saviour, acknowledging that He rose from the dead, we are initiated into the family of God, resulting in access to the “right” information, because the Holy Spirit will be present to enlighten us.

Let’s us call the right information SPIRITUAL FOOD (which fulfils our deep need for more understanding of God) and the wrong information PHYSICAL OR FLESHLY FOOD. The SPIRITUAL food comes as a result of a continued intake of BIBLE DOCTRINE…it’s not just any food that one assumes is right but the TRUTH (your hunger to know God will drive you towards the truth).

There will always be a conflict due to resident information present in us and the new information that will come (that is, the right information). A lack of the right information will always give rise to and opportunity for the wrong to express itself.

On the other hand,Repentance and being born again are similar words used for the Jews only. This is because the Jews were God's people through Abraham but they fell through their sins thus they need to get themselves back to where they were with God through repentance and being born again.
Re: Who Is A Christian? by sampuu2013: 3:23am On May 15, 2013
A chriatian is one who behaves like christ in all aspect.

(1) (Reply)

The Greatest Self Harm Of A Christian ! / Share Your Experiences!!! Have U Been Caught Sleeping In Church By Pastor!! / Christians , What Is The Hope Of Your Calling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.