Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:51 AM

British Green Card ! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / British Green Card ! (2779 Views)

20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? / How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? / Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Green Card ! by Hsmpwise(m): 12:57am On May 14, 2006
Hi everyone. I am a Nigerian based in the UK.I feel compelled to search out a forum like this in my desire to get across to fellow Nigerians looking for a leeway to get to the UK a legal one for that matter. I am eternally grateful to God for the opportunity i had after my horrenduos experience with a British immigration lawyer.I was introduced to this Nigerian couple ( not husband and wife ) who proved of tremendous assistance. They are God-fearing, or as they would prefer, God-loving.They are no immigration lawyers, but vastly experienced in the processing of the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme ( HSMP ).They provided invaluable support in terms of choosing the right documents to submit, preparation of job description, filling of forms and so on.

The fees charged were very, very affordable compared to the astronomical sum demanded by immigration lawyers.I had initial fear of making international calls from Nigeria, but they made communication easier by calling me and sending emails. I cannot say too much here, as i know of more than 10 people from Nigeria in the UK today, courtesy of their assistance.They are completely honest and reliable and do not accept too many clients at a time.If anyone is interested in contacting them, please get in touch via my email.

I decided to bring this message to fellow Nigerians as i am aware of the millions of Naira being lost yearly on futile visa attempts, even by highly qualified Nigerians.The HSMP route is the British Green Card, albeit only for graduates or those in graduate work.

Guys, come on, let us come down in droves. In the long run, Britain must be an extension of Nigeria!This is a beautiful forum, please keep it up. I hope to make lots of friends here. smiley
Re: British Green Card ! by ramono(m): 6:18pm On May 14, 2006
Hello @Hsmpwise, I dont totally agree with your last comment.
Why should Britain become an extension of Nigeria?
Is that the prayer we should have for our country?
If people from all developing countries left their countries in droves, what would happen to their home countries?
Even though things may be bad in Nigeria, the only people that can change things ae we Nigerians. So the solution is not to flood England in droves, but to acquire the necessary education, experience and exposure to return and make Nigeria a better place.
Having lived in Britain for 8 years, and also having visited many countries, I would remind you that no matter how comfortable you may find these places, you have only one home- NIGERIA.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 8:09pm On May 14, 2006
@Ramona

Thanks Bro,

Can you please help via your comment in the thread "Is Life Really better Abroad"

Thanks.
Re: British Green Card ! by OldGlory1(m): 4:28am On May 15, 2006
Akolowale

You are looking for help here too? Ask the owner of this topic how many people will have emailed him already. You and Romano, will always be in the minority. I am sorry you need help to defend your position, but if the man can help highly skilled migrants emigrate to the UK, please let him do his thing. There are not enough jobs in Nigeria to accommodate these job seekers.
Re: British Green Card ! by Hsmpwise(m): 1:54am On May 16, 2006
Hi everyone! Ramono and Old Glory represent two ends of the spectrum. Ramono and Akolawole could not be more patriotic than i am. The fact is that human migration is a historical reality. It has always been occurring throughout history. It does not make anyone less patriotic.It has its attendants benefits and it will keep on occurirng. You are free to remain bound to your country if you so desire. But you should not use blind patriotism to discourage others or justify your cause.
Nigeria stands to benefit a lot from its citizens migrating out. And of course, Nigeria is my country. I have lots of investments and interests in this country. Being in Britain does not make me less of a Nigerian. I feel encouraged by the positive response to my posting. And i will still encourage those who are qualified not to hesitate. The impact of foreign, hard currency imput on our economy is tremendous. It must not stop. Even if Nigeria were to become the paradise we so much hope for, people will still move out. This is a fact. cool

Shalom!!
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 2:19am On May 16, 2006
Old Glory:

There are not enough jobs in Nigeria to accommodate these job seekers.

Is there enough jobs in UK?

Is there enough jobs in Yankee?

Do you understand HSMP?

ok, What is the rudiment behind HSMP?
Re: British Green Card ! by OldGlory1(m): 3:15am On May 16, 2006
Right now in Yankee unemployment is at 4.7%. That is considered full employment.  There may be more Jobs than people. That is why Bush is calling for a guest worker program. Jobs that Americans will not do, are being offered to Illegal immigrants. Bush's word not mine. His speech aired about an hour ago. The American economy is on full steam. Read the transcript of Bush's speech www.CNN.com
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 11:24am On May 16, 2006
@OldGlory

There is unemployment all over the world.

In United Kingdom, a visit to Council tell the whole story of people coming to collect Job-seekers allowance.

What is Job in the west is not considered as Job in Nigeria.

I cant imagining a graduate being a Street Cleaner in Nigeria, no matter what!
Re: British Green Card ! by OldGlory1(m): 1:14pm On May 16, 2006
Akolowale

Me and you are from different points of view, and we cannot see eye to eye on anything. Whenever you come to the states call me. And we can debate one on one. I am tired of typing and you are not making sense to me anymore. I am sure the felling is mutual. I cannot keep going in circles, we will have to agree to disagree. This is it here for me. If people want to go to London under the HSMP and can go, then more power to them. If they want to stay in Nigeria, more power to them. But we are not going to change each other's mind and i think you should move on to the "sports" thread and i will move on to something. It was nice, be safe out there. Peace!

My last post on this topic, and the other topic.
Re: British Green Card ! by LoverBwoy(m): 9:26pm On May 16, 2006
In United Kingdom, a visit to Council tell the whole story of people coming to collect Job-seekers allowance.

Ahhhhhhhhhh i don't really want to respond to this life abroad issue but
qucik one

collecting job-seekers allowance does not mean there are no jobs!! there are plenty of jobs but they just aint qualified or just don't want to work, they just milk the system, some people actually work and still collect job-seekers allowance!

there is unemployement all over the world but the level in nigeria is just astounding!!! i don't want to give a percentage because theres none "officially"

or if u know Mr Akolawale please help us find the percentage of unemployemnet in nigeria  grin
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 9:43pm On May 16, 2006
@LoverBwouy

While i agree with you that there some that are just milking the states.

If people are not selective of the job they do, we wont have such high rate of unemployment in naija.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 9:57pm On May 16, 2006
Old Glory:

Akolowale

Me and you are from different points of view, and we cannot see eye to eye on anything. Whenever you come to the states call me. And we can debate one on one. I am tired of typing and you are not making sense to me anymore. I am sure the felling is mutual. I cannot keep going in circles, we will have to agree to disagree. This is it here for me. If people want to go to London under the HSMP and can go, then more power to them. If they want to stay in Nigeria, more power to them. But we are not going to change each other's mind and i think you should move on to the "sports" thread and i will move on to something. It was nice, be safe out there. Peace!

My last post on this topic, and the other topic.

I actually need you here.

I believe we owe it a duty to educate visitors on this Site of the good, the bad and the Ugly of Abroad. NOT one side of the coin.
Re: British Green Card ! by sage(m): 11:24pm On May 16, 2006
There is welfare in the U.S, so some people here would not like tom work, but depend on the money that the state dishes out to them.
Right now, in Economic terms, the U.S has Full Employment.

@Kola, everything on earth has its bad side, even going to church everyday and beign good all the time. But the truth is that the good outweighs the bad in the west while the Bad in Africa literarily wipes out any little seeming good.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 12:15am On May 17, 2006
It is an open secret that Abroad is better but why cant we share the other side of the coin as well?

Nairaland-american share only the good, which is not fair.
Re: British Green Card ! by Badman888(m): 12:57am On May 17, 2006
Britain is already an extension of 9ja
Re: British Green Card ! by kimba(m): 10:25pm On May 18, 2006
@Badman888

thank you, you said it right. Britain is already an extension of Nigeria. Too many Nigerians have been there, lived there, born there, drank water there, shitted there, died and buried there, abi

for me, i dont see people going to Britain as "going abroad", i mean, Britain?
Re: British Green Card ! by OldGlory1(m): 11:37pm On May 18, 2006
Kimba

Where is going abroad then? Belgium? Australia? Germany? USA? For most Nigerians a trip to London is a must. I also think Nigerians waste their money going to the UK. But not all can get a US or Canadian Visa. So i guess people use the UK as a spring board to someone else. Many are moving out of London, to the outskirts and many other cities in the UK,Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. London itself is an overrated village in my opinion, with an exaggerated economy and taxes and laws that do not make any sense.Again in my Opinion. But hey it is a Yankee talking! Nigerians will go to the UK regardless.

@Hspwine
What papers do u now have. Here it is called a Green Card(Permant Resident Alien Card) or for Highly skilled immigrants, they enter with a H-1B Visa and their status is tied to their Jobs. So what it is you get in the UK as a result of the HSMP.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 12:07am On May 19, 2006
Old Glory:

@Hspwine
What papers do u now have. Here it is called a Green Card(Permant Resident Alien Card) or for Highly skilled immigrants, they enter with a H-1B Visa and their status is tied to their Jobs. So what it is you get in the UK as a result of the HSMP.

He will have nothing more than one year working visa, which is extendable, then may lead to Permanent residency after 5 years.
Re: British Green Card ! by Hsmpwise(m): 10:53am On May 19, 2006
To Old Glory, HSMP is meant for skilled individuals(graduates or those in graduate level works). It is better described as a phased assimilation process to British citizenship, based solely on economic productivity.It assures you of Indefinite stay in 5 years and citizenship in 10 years.
But then, Akolawole seems to know better. In fact, he claims to have sojourned outside Nigeria for an appreciable length of time but is obviously an expert on Britain. Unfortunately, a sentimentally pessimistic expert.
Nigeria is rotten as it is, this is a painful fact. Nothing works - bad roads, unacceptable unemployment rate, embarassing corruption, epileptic power supply, stone age transportation system, erratic and unreasonably expensive communication networks, unstable democracy, et.c. We keep on praying to God to help us tackle this mess. And it's been shown over time, that any nation in these throes of underdevelopment would have some of its citizens moving out for better pasture. And of course, those who will stay will stay!
No country can ever be perfect. Not even the almighty America. But even with their imperfections, roses can still be seen in the countries of the west. Suggestion of a reasonable means of migrating to Britain should not irk Akolawole so much.
I say this with all conviction, even if Nigeria were to become the paradise we so much pray for, people will stay move out. Take it or leave it. wink

Shalom!!
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 12:49pm On May 19, 2006
Oga, dont take me as enemy, i love my country no matter what!

I would be happy if you tell us (1) What you study and (2) Your job in UK.

Hsmpwise:

To Old Glory, HSMP is meant for skilled individuals(graduates or those in graduate level works). It is better described as a phased assimilation process to British citizenship, based solely on economic productivity.It assures you of Indefinite stay in 5 years and citizenship in 10 years.

British Citizenship!: Not every one like to even be British citizen!

Yes, one can get Indefinite Stay after 5 years on that programme with restrictions ; (1) That one has no criminal record( Driving offence inclusive) (2) One claim no single state benefits( including Child benefit) (3) One dont stay away from UK for more than 90 days in the last 3 years prior the application.

British citizen in 10 years

I dont think so.
On this particular Programme, One you have permanent residency and you have stayed legally in UK for 3 years, you can apply for citizenship 12 months after you get Indefinite stay.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 12:52pm On May 19, 2006
Hsmpwise:

But then, Akolawole seems to know better. In fact, he claims to have sojourned outside Nigeria for an appreciable length of time but is obviously an expert on Britain. Unfortunately, a sentimentally pessimistic expert

A sentimental expert! Na wa o.

I wish you all the best in UK sha.

I am sure you will come back to tell us the "goddies" in Britain.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 12:56pm On May 19, 2006
Hsmpwise:

Nigeria is rotten as it is, this is a painful fact. Nothing works - bad roads, unacceptable unemployment rate, embarassing corruption, epileptic power supply, stone age transportation system, erratic and unreasonably expensive communication networks, unstable democracy, et.c. We keep on praying to God to help us tackle this mess. And it's been shown over time, that any nation in these throes of underdevelopment would have some of its citizens moving out for better pasture. And of course, those who will stay will stay!
No country can ever be perfect. Not even the almighty America. But even with their imperfections, roses can still be seen in the countries of the west. Suggestion of a reasonable means of migrating to Britain should not irk Akolawole so much.
I say this with all conviction, even if Nigeria were to become the paradise we so much pray for, people will stay move out. Take it or leave it. wink
Shalom!!

Thats true.
Re: British Green Card ! by OldGlory1(m): 3:00pm On May 19, 2006
Akolowale

Except you are an immigration lawyer, you really sound like a pessimist. Are you saying that he is lying? There is no path to British citizen with the HSMP? If you do not want to be a British Citizen and Britain will make him one, then what is it to you? I asked the man for an explanation and from left field here comes the angry ole voice. Please tone down your rhetoric, you are sounding more and more like a "Hater".

Just Chill and make us think, instead of the divide and conquer approach.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 3:11pm On May 19, 2006
Old Glory:

Akolowale

Except you are an immigration lawyer, you really sound like a pessimist. Are you saying that he is lying? There is no path to British citizen with the HSMP? If you do not want to be a British Citizen and Britain will make him one, then what is it to you? I asked the man for an explanation and from left field here comes the angry ole voice. Please tone down your rhetoric, you are sounding more and more like a "Hater".

Just Chill and make us think, instead of the divide and conquer approach.

I am no immigration lawyer but you don't need to be immigration lawyer to be able to interpret something on black and white.

I am used to you calling me sort of names. Another name, "Hater", i accept everything from you.

I repeat, it is not 10 years.
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 3:16pm On May 19, 2006
Old Glory:

from left field here comes the angry ole voice.

What is the meaning of this please?
Re: British Green Card ! by OldGlory1(m): 4:35pm On May 19, 2006
@Akolowale

I am not commenting anymore. The man(Hspwise) is going thru the process, i am asking him questions out of curiosity, i do not need a HSMP form, where did you get your own info from anyway? As usual you can have this thread too. I am out!! You are still in Ibadan, or the UK? Stay Cool!!
Re: British Green Card ! by larger20(m): 4:40pm On May 19, 2006
Life is good in every location. Every place has its odds and evens, including the britain
Re: British Green Card ! by ramono(m): 9:19pm On May 22, 2006
I will not castigate the HSMP scheme but to state that the scheme is in fact a means of developing the human capacity of Nigerians who benefit from it. It absorbs people with skills required by the UK economy and markets. They will gain experience and exposure as well as benefiting from the high pound to naira ratio. One set of beneficiaries of the scheme we havent mentioned are the Kanus, Okochas , Babayaros, Yobos and Aiyegbenis, who are repatriating millions of pounds. These people also pay alot of tax to the British system.

I attended primary and tertiary education in the UK so I can tell you from various sides of the coin that its not fantastic to live there. I am against going into the scheme with the ultimate purpose of having a 'Stay', because this indicates a desire to remain permanently in the UK due to a total lack fo belief in the future of Nigeria.

The situation in Nigeria is bad. Only God can save Nigeria, but He will not send angels to do it. It is Nigerians like me and you he will use.
Re: British Green Card ! by Hsmpwise(m): 10:28pm On May 22, 2006
Dear Ramono, i quite appreciate your view. It is balanced. Of course, no Nigerian can deny his heritage. And i am not saying the HSMP scheme is the panacea all qualified Nigerians need to subscribe to. Of course, there is no place like home and i for one will never forget my home.
We pray to have a country we can be proud of so that i will not face the type of embarassment i faced in Israel in 1995, when i was simply embarassed for no offence other than being a Nigerian. This Israeli woman could not understand the oddities in the contraption called Nigeria. A country that stands to give so much but achieving very little. Ramono, i do not feel happy to know that my dear country is in so much bondage. With so many qualified, patriotic and upright citizens burning with zeal. But these qualities are not alone to influence things in Nigeria. We have syncophants and mediocres having the day. It is a pure irony.
Of course, i am very willing to assist in bringing Nigeria out of this doldrums if possible. Though i did not contribute to it in the first place. But have i got a chance? Ramono, have you got a chance? Until the country is ready to embrace what it has, then there will be no option than to move out. We need to seek a greener pasture, so to say.
I hold no grudges against Akolawole. It is just that we have different approaches to identically perceived problems. I did check the British citizenship clause and he is very correct. Correct in the sense that one can apply for naturalisation after 12 months of Indefinite stay. I appreciate his correction.
This forum, despite everything, might be the begining of good things for Nigeria. Let us keep it up. Insha Allah, Nigeria will one day realise its true potentials.

Shalom!!
Re: British Green Card ! by Akolawole(m): 11:08pm On May 22, 2006
Hsmpwise:

I hold no grudges against Akolawole. It is just that we have different approaches to identically perceived problems. I did check the British citizenship clause and he is very correct. Correct in the sense that one can apply for naturalisation after 12 months of Indefinite stay. I appreciate his correction.

Thank you my brother.

I don't like people cursing Nigeria because the country is going through a rough patch.

Just because they have some sort of "legal allien" status in oyinbo country [ This is a topic for another day].

(1) (Reply)

Ghastly Container Accident At Mile 2 Durban Junction Incapacitate A Lady !!! / Amazing Photography Around The World!! / k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.