Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) (65731 Views)

Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) / 20 Million Naira Or Green Card: Which Would You Choose? / How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by zebudaya(m): 11:32pm On Jul 06, 2006
nothing
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by clocky(m): 12:00am On Jul 07, 2006
It is much easy for students to change their status in the UK these days especially those that studied science and engineering at either Bsc or Msc level so your statement is not totally true.
the marriage phenomenon is more popular amongst those on visit visa.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by soccerchic(f): 12:04am On Jul 07, 2006
Lol@Zubudaya, Wallahi this is too personal shocked
Well, if u must know, i have never had to get married 4 papers but if I had no choice and so much depended on staying in that particular place i might jsut do so. I mean, people do this all the time as u r aware of it. In terms of what is the best way, i don't think there is such a thing, a woman/man gotta do what a woman/man gotta do grin

Good luck  lipsrsealed
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by diddy4(m): 12:21am On Jul 07, 2006
i dont see anything wrong in it. it is better than being illegal. it is now a business deal. you get married, when u get all your papers, you simply divorce her and pay her off. simple and easy. no long thing.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by waleleader(m): 12:22am On Jul 07, 2006
i was on a date with this British girl once and she asked me the same question. i didnt have to think before saying NO.
its like selling yourself to slavery in a foriegn land. i don't see the reason why anyone should get married because you want american or british citizenship. i can understand if an illegal immigrant uses this method, but students and other legal residents have better options.
pls bear in mind that i speak for UK, we have HSMP(Highly skilled migrant program), various work permits programs, ancestral visas and working holiday maker program that can lead to citizenship. Come 2008, there are plans for a point system like that practised in Australia and Canada which will obviously favour current/past students and other legal residents in regards to becoming citizens.
infact why should we bother with foriegn citizenship that costs so much, the only thing they have in these countries that we don't have in Nigeria is the Underground/ Subway.

oh !I almost forgot, we have no government. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by rikkyjen(m): 12:35am On Jul 07, 2006
walelead:

i was on a date with this British girl once and she asked me the same question. i didnt have to think before saying NO.
its like selling yourself to slavery in a foriegn land. i don't see the reason why anyone should get married because you want american or british citizenship. the only thing they have in these countries that we don't have in Nigeria is the Underground/ Subway.

oh !I almost forgot, we don't have government. grin grin grin

Funny Lmao grin grin
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by aykay(m): 12:46am On Jul 07, 2006
its quite hard to do that in the uk especially if ur illegal co they ask for ur passport and all that.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by somebody(f): 1:01am On Jul 07, 2006
clocky:

It is much easy for students to change their status in the UK these days especially those that studied science and engineering at either Bsc or Msc level so your statement is not totally true.
the marriage phenomenon is more popular amongst those on visit visa.

Clocky, you statement is not exactly true either. The science and engineering scheme you mention is for a year only and after that the person needs to pack their bag home or else an employer applies for a work permit on their behalf. I am not aware of any scheme in the UK that allows you change your status that easily so yes marrying for green card or whatever is still very rampant. However the UK is making it very difficult for people who are doing it. On a personal note, I won't do it as I have a home(Naija) but never say never.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by zebudaya(m): 1:11am On Jul 07, 2006
I was kind of suprised when clocky said that once you graduate you can change your status, because i know in the U.S once you graduate you have one year to find an employer, if you don't find an employer to file for H1-B you. you pack your bags and go home.

diddy4:

i don't see anything wrong in it. it is better than being illegal. it is now a business deal. you get married, when u get all your papers, you simply divorce her and pay her off. simple and easy. no long thing.

I hear you have to be with the woman for over 2 years, what if she comes back and requests for more money or she goes to the authorities? what if when you divorce her she wants half? divorces are messy. or what if she wants to marry her soulmate and asks you for a divorce, It's not as easy as they make it sound
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by chinani(f): 1:37am On Jul 07, 2006
I also don't see anything wrong with it. It's best to find a willing person & be honest w/ them though.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Akolawole(m): 2:51am On Jul 07, 2006
@OldGlory

Wetin be your comment here o.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by diddy4(m): 3:04am On Jul 07, 2006
@zebudaya

let me tell you what u dont know. in this type of shiit. if you are a black guy, never ever make the mistake of marrying a white woman cuzz na den u go hear am. kai, the cops will be on your tail 24/7 to make sure u r with her. this is best if you marry a black lady prolly someone from your place that wont rip you off.

like if i wanted to do it, imm@ go for a naija girl and we gon do it. highest i will be her roommate and stuff. after 6 months i file for papers after i get them, i wait for 4 months and we file for divorce. we come up with a story and thats it. we know whats up but the white guys dont know whats up.

to play it safe and i know couple of people that have done that, they marry blacks and do their thang and none of them stay with her for 2 years, nahhhh.

they wont give a shiit if you marry black but if u marry white, you go hear am.

no long thing.

@chinani, just incase i feel like doing this, you know i will come for you right? cheesy cheesy wink wink

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by chinani(f): 3:29am On Jul 07, 2006
Diddy you know I got you! wink kiss
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by diddy4(m): 3:34am On Jul 07, 2006
oh yes i do hun. wink kiss kiss
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Idekeson(m): 4:55am On Jul 07, 2006
Adjustment of status through marriage to a US citizen is by far the most realistic option open to someone with a visitor's visa.
Students face a much tougher process adjusting to permanent residence or even to a work visa, since after 9/11. Students must return to their home country at the completion of their study and wait 2 years before they can be eligible to adjust their status.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Oracle(m): 5:57am On Jul 07, 2006
At least there's a reason for the marriage
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by OldGlory1(m): 6:05am On Jul 07, 2006
@Akolawole

My comment is that the owner of the thread should ask me when last i slept with my woman, instead of the stupid questions he has up there. Like anyone would say. It is non of his business. There are many easier ways to get a green card, instead of the headache of marriage. www.uscis.gov

@Zebudaya

Where are you? I think if anyone married for papers and got their green card, they should make it a point of duty to keep it to themselves. Your questions are a bit too personal.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by mochafella(m): 6:11am On Jul 07, 2006
Akolawole:

@OldGlory
Wetin be your comment here o.

Old Glory:

@Akolawole
My comment is that the owner of the thread should ask me when last i slept with my woman, instead of the stupid questions he has up there. Like anyone would say. It is non of his business. There are many easier ways to get a green card, instead of the headache of marriage. www.uscis.gov

Why do I think "Akolawole" and "Old Glory" are going to continue their 30-year war about Yankee/Jand and Naija on this thread. E don do. angry
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by OldGlory1(m): 6:32am On Jul 07, 2006
Mochafella

You have it all wrong. I spoke to Akolawole yesterday over the phone, and we have agreed to disagree on our basic opinions. I think we left the conversation with a mutual respect for each others opinion. The current fight is between "Jackal and Akolawole" and it has lasted nearly a century. It is now UK on UK fighting. The topic is in "Career" and it is about HSMP VISA. Check it out. FYI: (Jackal is currently on the run)
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Badman888(m): 8:08am On Jul 07, 2006
It is something that alor of people are doing now, they are men and women out there who are ready to do an arranged marriage at probably a cost of $15000 to $20000, it just depends cost can varies. You get married you process your documents, when you have gotten your papers, then you divorce and move on with your lives,

1 Like

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by waleleader(m): 9:31am On Jul 07, 2006
i still don't see the point in having an arranged marriage when you can have the real thing for free. there are bare british/american girls that are single or single parents especially that you can marry and get on well.

[/quote]It is something that alor of people are doing now, they are men and women out there who are ready to do an arranged marriage at probably a cost of $15000 to $20000, it just depends cost can varies. You get married you process your documents, when you have gotten your papers, then you divorce and move on with your lives.

ive heard of people who have been stuck in this mess even with nigerian /african american girls.

[quote]
Adjustment of status through marriage to a US citizen is by far the most realistic option open to someone with a visitor's visa.

maybe it is ok in the USA but it would be impossible for a visitor to use that method in the UK

1 Like

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Jackal(m): 10:13am On Jul 07, 2006
As far as i am concerned, I don't see anything wrong with the idea.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Eurphoria(f): 10:29am On Jul 07, 2006
Hello Guys and Dolls   smiley

I am torn here, first i agree to an extent,because i feel so much for people who come to the Uk and see it as a chance to make something of themselves. I am biased because i like to see my Bros and sisters from Naija make a go of their lives. However, it's breaking the law which i am not for, i believe you don't come to somebody's house and $hit on their doorstep or stick two fingers up at their laws , it rubs people off the wrong way, still i hope to see a system where people are
allowed to come in without so much restrictions, but then again its a hard one cause the country they trying to obtain permenant residency from has to have these rules, on the number of people in it cause at the end of the day resources can go so far.

I find those who  marry for this reason ,meeting an unsuspecting girl or man and luring them to the altar under false pretenses is vile. Actually i will take the stance of a CAPITAL NO to this practice because, it is wrong lawfully and wrong if you are coming from a Christian angle(which i am) It makes a mockery of the institution of marriage

I find those who come and after obtaining the card or residency do not contribute to the country, sucking govt resources dry, go about doing crime( fraud etc).

I do want to see a Nigerian do good for themselves, we do ok  from what i see , some other foreign nationals(name no names) in London for instance do nothing but sit on their backsides,go about robbing people and sit on handouts for years and years, all this after getting a the right to leave permanently

Best thing is do things properly and lawfully, that way you not looking over your shoulder.

1 Like

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by desiree(f): 1:17pm On Jul 07, 2006
I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you not fooling some poor white girl or sista and professing your undying love all in the name of residency. IF you must do it, pay for it, at least that way, it would an agreement between the two people involved, they stay friendly with each other until they are free to go their separate ways.

It is the system in Nigeria that we should be blaming, because if not for the bad government, Why would students not want to return to their own country after gaining all the knowledge that should be enough to secure a well- paying job, better position and happy life for themselves in their own country.

Even those that were born here plan on returning home someday!!!!

1 Like

Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by edygirl(f): 2:10pm On Jul 07, 2006
I have a friend who wanted to see if I could help him with that but I couldn't simply because I have my own fiance to file for but this guy decided to do it with one akata and he ended up not getting it because the akata always was requesting for sex without protection for whatever her reason was. The lady later requested for the 3/4 of the money b/4 she could make a move which was given to her but later she changed her mind and she refused to give the guy his money back and that guy couldn't sue her  nor do some thing about it because he knew he was gon' be in a hot soup. He lost his money though.

Well If I wasn't here with my papers I wouldn't do it either but if you want to do it then go with Naija person or any other African because Akatas are smart about it now. Either you end up paying child support if you are not careful like some many Naija guys I know or they keep on requesting money from you which if you reject then you are done.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Busta(f): 2:19pm On Jul 07, 2006
@ Soccechic

whereabouts r u @ in canada?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by Busta(f): 2:24pm On Jul 07, 2006
don't see anything wrong in the idea but I can't do it embarassed
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by zebudaya(m): 5:35pm On Jul 07, 2006
nothing
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by diddy4(m): 6:04pm On Jul 07, 2006
please zebudaya, which one be temp green card? they gone give u your green card even if it is temp which i doubt it is, you can still work and do stuff with it.

it is better than visa.
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by DoMH: 6:10pm On Jul 07, 2006
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by diddy4(m): 6:19pm On Jul 07, 2006
my man, nobody asked you to contribute. it is if you like and since u consider it so personal, why did you bother commenting?
Re: Getting Married For The Green Card (Citizenship) by desiree(f): 6:26pm On Jul 07, 2006
Me thinks somebody is just touchy because he's got something to hide!!! There is nothing personal about this thread o---It is either you are for it or against it.
So take a stand or ignore it!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

A Mobile SUV With A Woman On Top Of It Spotted On The Road (Photo) / Photos Of The Two Aircrafts That Colided In Lagos Yesterday / How Much Will It Cost Nigeria To Build Cities Like These?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.